Questions & Answers

Posted (edited)

Chi can indeed be used to defend against mental attacks and intangible supernatural attacks, but as a GM I'm not very partial to mental attacks at all, so I don't expect it will come up very often - I don't expect it to happen in this little game, for example.

As long as you can justify a +2 bonus to Notice for initiative, I'd allow it. Something like enhanced reflexes, incredible calculative prediction, etc. Otherwise, come up with a limitation, such as how Keen Senses adds a +2 bonus to Notice, but only when a certain sense is primarily involved.

Using Chi instead of Notice is easier to justify: so long as your character could feasibly have a supernatural power that does that, I'm all on board.

Huh, I kinda forgot that Will applies to Mental Stress, and that Stress is kind of a combination of Physical and Mental Stress. Well, it stands to reason that the highest of Physique and Chi determines your Stress - simple, just one or the other.

The Stunts on the example characters are lists of example Stunts, not actual Stunts that those hypothetical characters took. Characters have 3 Refresh, and they get 3 free Stunts before it starts costing Refresh.

Edited by Rune Knight (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

The time is upon us, ladies and gentlemen: time to decide who will be moving forward with us into the game.

Tbh tho, it's really easy: I'd like to offer all of the applicants an invitation to the game! :) It's not quite as many as I would have liked, but we can still move forward with three.

@Starsign, @Colette and @ManicPixieFatGuy, I've included a link to my Discord server in this message. Once you're in, we can discuss a little bit, then it will only be a few short days before I have a post up to start the battle!

Do you expect Physique to be a mandatory defense skill from time to time, or would it be safe enough to trade Physique for something else? I am wondering if I can take a different skill without having to worry about being told "You can defend against this only with Physique."

It's not often that one defends with Physique, actually: Athletics is for dodging all kinds of attacks, and Fight can be used to defend against melee attacks.

Rolling to Defend with Physique would usually be for tests of fortitude, such as resisting poisons; even when breaking out of a grapple Physique isn't the only option, since Athletics could be used to represent slipping out of your aggressor's grasp.

Btw, you see the invite link to the Discord, right? I'm just noticing I misspelled ManicPixieFatGuy's name in the "private to" code, so I want to make sure.

If poison is delivered via a weapon, a projectile, or a gaseous cloud, that could feasibly be defended against with Athletics, yes? And if a poison is delivered through supernatural means, then Chi would likely be a valid defense skill, right?

Yes, I have already been in the Discord server for a while.

If poison is delivered as part of an Attack, Athletics would be the skill that is used to defend, yes.

As for Chi, it's uses in Defense are rather niche; "mental attacks and intangible supernatural attacks", as I mentioned before. As such, the vast majority of defense rolls against attacks will be with Athletics.

Oh! I hadn't realized that was you; my bad. Try to use the Discord from now on; you'll get faster responses from me. ;)

Posted (edited)

If poison were used to Create an Advantage, the point of an action like that is to inflict a poison status effect rather than to deal damage, in which case I'd say that would normally be defended against with Physique. An argument could be made for Athletics, but that would depend upon the method of deployment for the poison.

• 3 weeks later...

I am leaving this game. I apologize for the severe inconvenience.

I joined this game because it was advertised as a single combat scenario. I thought that it would be quick and to-the-point, rather than a long and sprawling super-scene spread out across dozens of zones. I also hoped that the posting rate would be faster than days between posts (exacerbated by Fate requiring active defense rolls and potential resource expenditures on those active defense rolls, which creates further delay as players have to resolve those; this is one reason why I think Fate can be sluggish in play-by-post).

If the combat was swift and simple or if the posting rate was brisk, then I would have been able to stick around. As things currently stand, neither is the case. I thus find myself unable to commit the mental and emotional investment necessary to earnestly participate in this game for its many-month-long runtime. My interest dissipates when a play-by-post combat drags out for a very long period of time, which this is shaping up to be.

I could linger until the end, but I think that doing so would be highly awkward, because the game would become nothing more than a chore. This lack of genuine investment would then bleed into my roleplaying over the next several months, which would be a disservice to the rest of the group.

You can do what you please with my character. Perhaps she gets separated and fights elsewhere. Maybe she does not get separated, but does battle in the background regardless, without rolls. You could, if you so please, simply run my character yourself (making any appropriate defense rolls using Athletics, applying relevant stunts to defense, rolling initiative using the applicable Notice stunt, and so on).

Yes, you will likely have to adjust the remaining two character sheets with this in mind, since my character was operating as a primary damage-dealer. I am sorry for creating this awkward situation.

In the future, I will be sure to ask the GM about the expected length of the adventure that they intend to run, and the expected posting rate. This way, I can avoid generating trouble in games to come.

Thank you for listening, and for being patient with me all this time. I recognize that you have placed tremendous effort into this game, especially the combat scenario. Unfortunately, it is just not what I was looking for.

Edited by Colette (see edit history)