Questions & Answers

Here you can ask any question you like; there are no stupid questions.

This thread is usually for game applicants. Accepted players should use our Discord server for higher-priority responses.

Missed my chance to apply for your vampire game, I'm not missing this one.

In another game, with more than just combat, I would assume that the Muscle is the only one good at fighting. I presume other roles will still be able to kick ass in this game?

Hey there! :) I'm glad to see a player so interested in Fate. You'll definitely have your opportunity this time. ;)

In a hypothetical campaign, the game wouldn't be strictly a heist game: it's a combination of heists and action. Thus, the Muscle isn't the only one who should be good at combat: everyone on the team can kick ass, the Muscle just does it the best.

Quick announcement: due to taking on a bit of work IRL, I've extended the advertisement period. Now, the advertisement will end on the 22nd.

If any of you have been thinking about taking a shot at this game but didn't think you'd be able to finish an application by the deadline, then now is your chance to get in. :)

I would like to play some sort of exorcist of the supernatural, who relies primarily on Chi. Could you please explain how the Chi skill works? Can it be used to directly attack supernatural entities? Can it be used to directly defend against supernatural entities? In this specific game scenario, what makes Chi a worthwhile investment compared to the more straightforward Fight, Shoot, and Athletics skills?

Here's a short list of what Chi allows a character to do:

• Overcome and Create Advantages to identify the supernatural and come up with ways to counter it
  • Attack and Defend normally against bonafide supernatural entities, with Fight, Shoot and Athletics as usual
  • Take Chi Stunts to give yourself supernatural abilities - magical powers, essentially

The point of Chi in this game is to express an aesthetic: creating a character with supernatural elements to them, in an interesting way that subtly yet significantly contributes to the team. A Chi user can conceivably fit any role, as long as you build them with a few key Chi Stunts - even swapping between roles in a hypothetical campaign.

For example, a Chi user with no Chi Stunts would probably prioritize Chi in the mid-high category - something like a Fair (+2) or a Good (+3). That is a viable tactic with plenty of merit.

If they were to take a Stunt that allows them to use Chi as if it were Fight, though, or as if it were Stealth, they would probably prioritize Chi as a high skill: Good (+3) or Great (+4). The more of these kinds of abilities they take, the higher the priority.

Could you please explain what you mean by "Attack and Defend normally against bonafide supernatural entities, with Fight, Shoot and Athletics as usual"? How does the Chi skill perform this function, exactly?

I'm making a difference here between bonafide supernatural entities - spirits - and humans with supernatural abilities.

Without any ranks in Chi, a person would find it nearly impossible to attack or defend against a spirit in combat. With ranks in Chi, a person can treat a spirit as a normal target, using skills like Fight, Shoot and Athletics to attack it and defend against it.

It's not the ranks in Chi that allow this, necessarily, but the relevant Aspect that justofies your ability to take ranks in Chi.

If you want to use Chi to Attack or to Defend, you'll need to take a Chi Stunt. Something like "use Chi as if it were Shoot" or "use Chi to defend against melee and ranged attacks".

Just makes sure the supernatural ability itself makes sense for your character to have. That will depend on where your character gets their supernatural powers from.

How does your rule for a Notice-based initiative leader work? If someone in the party has Notice at Great (+4), is the party essentially guaranteed to go first in initiative, or do they need an effective Notice at Superb (+5) for that?

Your party chooses someone to be the initiative leader, and that person rolls Notice against the initiative leader of the enemy team. If your team wins, you have the initiative.

When it's the players' turn, they choose two players to take their turns. On the enemy's turn, the GM chooses one enemy or enemy unit to take it's turn.

We go back and forth taking turns until the end of the round, then we roll initiative for the new round.

As you can see, initiative isn't static in this game like it is in default Fate, so it's less about having the highest rank in Notice and more about rolling well on initiative.

If an initiative leader wanted to guarantee that their team got initiative, they could take a Stunt like On Top Of It, where they can spend a Fate Point to automatically win an initiative roll.

Hey boss do you have any more setting info? Like you have chi and everything I’ve seen implies a kind of pulp version of modern day like if the Brendan Frazier mummy movies were set now. Is this right?

Just want to make sure I’m on the same page before thinking of anything.

@Colette Quick on the Draw would work just like On Top Of It, except it would be once for free instead of costing a Fate Point per use. Just a question of which one you prefer, really.

@ManicPixieFatGuy This is just a really simple setting idea I'm using to facilitate the playtest, so there is no extra setting info. You do have it right, though: modern pulp fiction kind of like the Mummy movies. :)

If Chi includes Will, can Chi be used to defend against mental attacks and intangible supernatural abilities?

Is a stunt that grants a +2 bonus when using Notice to determine the party's initiative acceptable?

Is a stunt that allows Chi to be used in place of Notice to determine the party's initiative fine?

How do Chi and Physique grant extra stress boxes determined in this game, if there is no distinction between mental and physical stress?

How much refresh and free stunts are we entitled to? The sample sheets suggest that we would have 3 refresh and anywhere from 5 to 8 free stunts.