Emoji picker not working in Brave browser

tuxagon

I spent a bit of time trying to investigate the issue going on with ckeditor within the Brave browser. As of this post, the latest version is 1.43.89 and I am on the latest. 

Doing some preliminary research led me to the Invision forums where I learned ckeditor 4 seems to be the current one used. I found ckeditor's demo for version 4 and within the brave browser, it both works as an emoji picker and with the colon prefix for inline searches. Attached is a screen recording of the ckeditor 4 working in Brave (https://ckeditor.com/ckeditor-4/demo/)

I have been able to confirm that there is an AJAX call happening that starts with 

CKEDITOR.plugins.add("ipsemoticon", ...

and the

CKEDITOR.plugins.emoji

isn't getting populated for Brave but is for a browser like Firefox.

Brave is based on Chromium, the OSS web browser that provides majority of the code to Google Chrome. There seems to be something in particular that either Invision or Myth Weavers is doing to the ckeditor 4 to prevent it from working in Brave. I have some theories, but didn't get much time to explore further into figuring out if there are particular events that aren't getting captured or fired correctly via the Invision variant of ckeditor 4.

Hopefully this is helpful context for whenever this can get scheduled for investigation or inquiry with Invision. If I am the only person that has ever used Brave with Myth Weavers, it's probably even lower of a priority; I have other ways of inserting an emoji if I desperately need to. The other aspects of the ckeditor seem to work. Finally, I'm happy to provide more context or help dig deeper if necessary.

ckeditor 4 in brave.mkv

I explicitly enabled and overrode the defaults for those as a sanity check while also turning off the Shields for Myth Weavers. The ckeditor 4 demo working with full Shields up and using the default ephemeral storage settings still seems odd to me, though. That communicates there to be a deviation of some kind between the base editor and the one here.

image.png.953d7fefa58b41dddbbd4fcd9736dc1e.png

Comparing between Brave and Firefox, for example, it seems there is a lot more to this editor that does not work in Brave than I realized. Having to switch browsers is gonna be a bear, especially when it comes to mobile.

I'll list what I encountered while comparing here, but I haven't looked in the slightest into what could be causing it.

1. Not really sure what happened here, but my previous post with the picture would not clear from the editor until I manually removed it, even after a page refresh.
  2. I tried quoting someone in one of my game threads and it didn't bring the pop-up to add the quote to the editor like it did in Firefox.
    1. Disregard. This does work.
  3. I originally thought when I clicked Quote, it added it to my clipboard, but my clipboard weirdly had the previous post in this thread as well as the screen recording attachment from above.

Definitely a headscratcher.

Edited by tuxagon (see edit history)