Thoughts on the default theme (poll) feedback needed

bwatford

Default Theme  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think would be better for the default theme changes? (if any)

• Design Choice #1 Leave the default theme as it is.
    • Design Choice #2
    • Design Choice #3

The default theme for Myth-Weavers is a very important theme due to the fact it is what everyone sees when they first arrive.  We have done our best to mimic the look of the ogmw website with the same textures and colors as not to be to jarring of a change to transitioning users.

That said I do believe the look should be reflective of the new architecture here as well and hanging on to the old look may date the site a bit compared to modern look and feel.

The poll is for you, the users to vote on what you think.  Should we:

1. Leave the default theme as is, no changes needed.

2. Change to a mix of the old and new designs (design choice #2), this choice keeps th etextures of the old site but frames those in the new sleek and modern look.

3. Out with the old textures for a clean and modern look for MW Baldr. (design choice #3)

Design Choice #1 below: (Leave it as is)

image.png.97166841f41995304250d5923630a340.png

Design Choice #2 below: (Combine the old textures with modern design)

image.png.4799f8759973069beaffe5574a99f3e4.png

Design Choice #3 below: (Completely new, clean look and feel)

image.png.09b1f6c6592b79fc321af0db9f0e8f54.png

I like the second option, but would still tweak it a bit more. Like something between 1 and 2. Certain stylistic choice changes.

For example, something about the General header is off, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that's bugging me. It might be the centering of the text, but it could also be the shadow on the bottom half.

I would also be down to change the dots back to the books. Really anything that isn't the huge boring circles. They're kinda ugly and lack... Like character, personality, any sort of appeal honestly.

I voted for the original look but i feel like i need to say why.

I've never been a fan of the new-look rounded corners and shadows on everything. I like the flat-look of the original. But ALSO i like that in the original there is a separating line between the different topics. The new looks always seem to blend everything together into big boxes which i just don't love. I like nice, clean lines with noticeably delineation between elements.

I agree that the original gives the dated impression to the website, but I believe that is entirely because there is a background texture present. Repeated background textures immediately make any website appear very dated unless the website is going for a modern brutalist look (which I very much do not recommend).

To test that hypothesis, I simply replaced the background image with solid colors and I think it immediately gives it a cleaner and more modern look than all 3 options above. The lines separating the items could be colored with the red or given a lighter gray, but their presence gives the theme a much nicer and more accessible separation between threads. I agree with @Neopopulas that it's not distinct enough between entries without the lines.

image.png.b33454318e298d6c876c60ed372a2ae2.png

Option #3 sadly looks more dated than #1 to me. I've been sitting here trying to figure out what about it doesn't sit well with me in a way that is constructive and not just, "I don't like it." I really like the solid color background and I think the color choice of that gray is a really good background color for a different theme. The header color doesn't feel right, though.

With that said, I think these are the primary issues I have with #3

1. The centered header does not feel quite right for the design
  2. The narrow spacer between the header and body feels a bit out of place
  3. It's weird to me to visually see more space between the bullets and the thread information than there is between the threads themselves
  4. The colors don't go together very well, but I think that could be due to the gradient used on the headers

I think #3 has promise if tweaked a bit more.

Option #2 seems like the worst of both, personally.

I hope that was taken as helpful and constructive rather than just complaining.

Edited by tuxagon (see edit history)

I think the thing about #3 is that is looks generic to me. The colours especially but the whole thing sort of screams 'default settings' and i think thats why i don't like it. And it think its why i like the original. I like the muted, richer tones of the original over the red and grey of #3 three. Of course colours are one of the easiest things to change, but i think thats what sort of turned me off it in the first few moments that i saw it.

Just to chime in, I definitely agree with Neo and the others about the separating lines between topics, and I do prefer the book thread markers to the generic circles. I also agree that 2 & 3 just feel a bit generic and "blah", but I do like Tuxagon's mock-up of the default theme without background textures. I would be curious to see one with the background texture only on the darker/outer "base layer" background - it might still add a bit of character without seeming too dated.

If I had to choose strictly between the three as presented, though, I'd go with #1.

Edited by PigLickJF (see edit history)