Episode 1: A New Journey Begins

Stengleronymous

image.jpeg.fd107811225bbd66f70d9bcf841501cf.jpegFei's eyes grow wide when Khulan suggests taking the censer by force. Her body tenses reflexively. The professor's response comes as a relief. She sighs and relaxes.

Fei leans forward to look at the drawing. She reaches for it, stopping with her hand outstretched to look up at the professor for permission. He gives her a small nod, so she picks up the old parchment. She gently rubs her thumb on the paper's rough fiber and smiles. Her eyes take in the illustration, trying to trace every stroke of the quill. She chuckles as she spots a drop of ink just above the leftmost stick of incense, imagining the artist's frustration at the small mistake. "It's beautiful..." she mutters. "Elegant. No elaborate flourish in its decoration. True to its essence and function without pretension. The angles on the incense would allow it to burn cleanly and, if different kinds were used, their aromas wouldn't get muddled..."

She looks up at the others with a big grin, then blushes. "Uh... I think, anyway... Sorry for the rambling..." she says as she hands the parchment to her companions.

spacer.pngWhile Khulan respectfully avoids touching the Air Nomad wind chimes, Miki gasps. "Oh my gosh! You've set the wind chimes up. Cute!" She immediately rushes over and gently (by Miki's standards) flicks one of the chimes.

Turning to the map, Miki nods. The job seems fairly simply. Travel to the village and get the censer. "No problem, Professor," she replies confidently. "We'll have that, uh, censer back to you before you know it." Truthfully, she's feeling more than a little nervous about running into the Fire Nation army again. There is always the risk that she runs into her brother. She idly scratches at an itch on her gloved hand. 

The fleeting sign of worry disappears from her expression as she grins and claps Fei hard on the back. "Don't worry, Fei. If the Fire Nation shows up, we'll deal with them." No, Fei didn't mention anything about the Fire Nation, nor did she express any concern in their regard. But Miki knows that Fei must be worried. She's not a bender, after all, and so she's more vulnerable than the rest in a fight.

spacer.pngListening to Khulan and the professor's exchange, Mahin leans back thinking. When he hears Miki's comment about the fire nation, a thought comes to mind and he speaks up. "Being open about the fact that the fire nation is targeting everything and anything related to the air nation should also put weight on the request. A museum trying to preserve a culture makes sense when another culture is trying to wipe it out. Even if it's only for the sake of Anthropology. Would you mind writing out a certificate of ownership for the person? Just in case they want to loan it? Having that pre-written and available would make our case more convincing and  would show that we're trying to preserve the connections and history of the air nation rather than steal artifacts." He states. He then thinks back about his dad and how he kept some of the small gifts that he and his grandparents had given him before he left for the water nation. "Many are attached to the idea of passing on a legacy to their children. So if it is still owned by one of the people that was gifted the censer by the air nation, showing that we value that connection but want to make sure they aren't murdered for it will probably put us in a better place. And if word gets out that we're protecting Air Nomad artifacts from destruction, and are willing to return them after the war, we might have people offering theirs to us, rather than hiding them from everyone."

Edited by Gan Anail (see edit history)

spacer.pngThe gentle hum from the chimes rolled through the office, drawing Xu's eyes to Miki as she flicked them. The sound was calming, soothing, things you'd expect from a nation of nomadic monks. Still, they're old and irreplaceable. "Miki, be careful with that. Don't think the Professor would appreciate it if we broke them after all they've been through." He flicked back to Professor Ko. "But Miki's right, Professor. You can count on us. Hopefully without drawing in the Fire Nation's attention."  

spacer.png

No matter how unbecoming it is for a young woman of her military training to be smiling during a briefing, one remains on Khulan’s face when Fei gushes over the old relic. “Please don’t be sorry, Fei. You should never apologise for your passion. It’s an asset.” And though smiling, she declines to touch the parchment herself.

Then Miki talks of fighting the Fire Nation, a reality Khulan tries very hard to avoid confronting. It’s fitting that a firebender should the one to wipe that hint of a smile off her face, as so often happened back in the capital. Mahin didn't exactly help much either, speaking of the Fire Nation marching through the village and destroying lives. He’s not even wrong about it either, and yet part of her still wants to speak out. There are nuances, it isn't just like that. But Khulan isn’t at liberty to say anything and she knows it. Her wandering eyes, keen to not look at either of her compatriots, end up settling on happy little Welko instead.

“I agree, Xu.” Khulan eagerly nods to the earthbender. “Given how close you all came to capture, I don’t think we should be trying to grab attention this time out.” She tries extremely hard to not sound conceited for her part in helping them escape from that commander. And very nearly succeeds, too.

Edited by Robodogg (see edit history)

spacer.png"I'm being careful!" Miki replies to Xu. Her tone is light and dismissive as though Xu is worrying over nothing. "And, of course, we're not going out of our way to draw attention. I'm just saying that if we get noticed-" (a unsurprisingly common phenomena in Miki's life) "-we'll handle it is all."

After Mahin speaks, Miki snaps her fingers. "Hey, that's a smart plan. We can always count on you for thinking ahead. A certificate sure makes us seem like professionals. So, Professor Ko, when do we leave?"

Though Miki isn't eager to run afoul of the Fire Nation again, she does look forward to leaving Ba Sing Se. She has nothing against the city, per say, but it's been mostly trouble for her ever since she arrived. Being on the road with the closest thing to friends she has is a far more appealing time than going back to her job as a janitor.

image.png.e49a6e7a375b56b3759f78352c3a00a9.png

Durruk returned Khulan's nod as he eased his way into the room behind everyone else, gently latching the door at Ko's non-verbal request, as Welko slipped into a deep pocket for a nap. Ko's office had always been more organized and better decorated than his own, and Durruk had asked the professor on more than one occasion how he'd managed to secure an office with such lovely windows. His had one lone window, half the size of the ones that covered Ko's far wall. His office also had significantly less cubbies and considerably more piles of papers, maps, and letters, some of which were even hung precariously and askew upon the walls. Despite this, he always knew where everything was; it was an organized chaos.

Durruk stayed standing by the door as the group spread out throughout the room, keeping one ear trained on the entry and both eyes upon the bevy of rascals that now rooted through Ko's possessions. Their eagerness and curiosity turned one corner of his lip upward in a barely noticeable half-smile. He'd almost intervened when Miki nearly launched the wind chimes out the window, but the students had settled it amongst themselves, and he was content to lean back and listen as Ko went on to explain their coming expedition. Content that is until Ko mentioned their destination, and Durruk felt the past creeping up to haunt him.

At the mention of the River of Sweet Persimmons, Durruk's face deepened and his eyebrows contorted in recognition. At the mention of the Northern Air Temple, Durruk felt a tightness in his chest and let out a quiet exhale. He knew many of the trade routes throughout the Earth Kingdom, and this was one he believed he may have been familiar with, though he'd never heard it called by that name.

By the time Durruk had regained his composure, he heard Khulan speak up "Are we authorised to secure the artefact by force if the need arises?” This caused Durruk to cock his eyebrow in judgement and disappointment. Apparently, Khulan still had much more to learn than he had hoped, though he bit his tongue as Ko handled the question expertly. The threat of violence against non-combatants was not something Durruk took lightly, but then again... it was not Khulan's fault and she should not be condemned for the sins of her forebears. She was trying to make a difference, and Durruk knew that change could be a long and painful process.

After Fei had finished admiring the map, which Khulan very much enjoyed watching, and Mahin brought up some exceptionally valid points, Durruk finally spoke up. "I am familiar with the area," he mentioned, nonchalantly. "I've transported a few caravans around West Lake in the past. I believe I may even have walked part of this River of Sweet Persimmons you mention, Ko, though I'd never heard it called that until now." For a very brief second, Durruk looked out the window seemingly lost in thought... and shame. However, he regained his composure quickly and put on a small smile. "So, I think I might be able to keep this ragtag band you've assembled on the right path and out of trouble,"

He wasn't wholly confidant about that last bit.

Edited by Tavanesh (see edit history)

image.jpeg.fd107811225bbd66f70d9bcf841501cf.jpegFei looks dubious at Miki's assertion of dealing with the Fire Nation. Their last encounter with Commander Ming had ended with a narrow escape. Her previous encounter with them, well... her eyes grow sad. She looks away and folds her arms.

Khulan's praise makes Fei blink and turn her head. She smiles shyly at the other girl, looking a bit embarrassed.

She turns to look at Mr. Durruk as he explains his familiarity with the River of Sweet Persimmons. She frowns as his expression changes for moment. He's in pain, she thinks to herself. The moment passes as quickly as it appeared, and the man is back to his confident self. She looks away as their eyes briefly cross.

"I can be ready to leave today. I just need to get my things and let my aunt and uncle know. It'll be nice to get out of the city for a bit," she says with a wistful smile.

On 9/17/2022 at 7:17 PM, moarhair said:

image.jpeg.fd107811225bbd66f70d9bcf841501cf.jpeg"It's beautiful..." she mutters. "Elegant. No elaborate flourish in its decoration. True to its essence and function without pretension. The angles on the incense would allow it to burn cleanly and, if different kinds were used, their aromas wouldn't get muddled..."

Inside the office

ProfessorKo.png.c3068667d62ec82f81fc801ccc094ec0.png"Very good eye, Fei," the Professor praises, nodding to his student. His voice switches into what you all recognize by now as "lecturing mode." "The Air Nomads valued simplicity, especially in material objects, which they believed could be a distraction from the sublime truths they sought in their meditations. Nonetheless, the few items they left behind speak to competent craftsmanship and a desire to build items to last. Much of their metalwork was traded from the Fire Nation, who have always had the most accomplished smiths, but as far as we can tell these censers were cast individually by Air Nomad artisans, which makes them all the more special."

On 9/18/2022 at 1:46 PM, Gan Anail said:

spacer.png"Would you mind writing out a certificate of ownership for the person? Just in case they want to loan it? Having that pre-written and available would make our case more convincing and  would show that we're trying to preserve the connections and history of the air nation rather than steal artifacts."

Inside the Office

ProfessorKo.png.c3068667d62ec82f81fc801ccc094ec0.png"Ah! Yes. Of course. A good idea," the Professor says, nodding to Mahin's suggestion. He takes a few moments rummaging drawers and scroll cubbies until he finds a stack of identical sheets of parchment, all stamped with what you can all recognize as the Ba Sing Se University official bureaucratic seal in wax. Professor Ko takes out his own personal chop and inkpad and adds his own stamp to the bottom, then slides the paper over to Mahin, since he was the one who asked.

"This is a standard artifact loan agreement. There are blank spaces here to write the terms and duration, specify what the artifact is, who the owners are, and so on," he says, pointing to each of the places with a wooden pen. "One thing I can say for the University's bureaucracy is that it at least makes things like this a little easier."

On 9/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Kyoh said:

spacer.png"Hey, that's a smart plan. We can always count on you for thinking ahead. A certificate sure makes us seem like professionals. So, Professor Ko, when do we leave?"

On 9/20/2022 at 1:21 PM, Tavanesh said:

image.png.e49a6e7a375b56b3759f78352c3a00a9.png

. "I've transported a few caravans around West Lake in the past. I believe I may even have walked part of this River of Sweet Persimmons you mention, Ko, though I'd never heard it called that until now." For a very brief second, Durruk looked out the window seemingly lost in thought... and shame. However, he regained his composure quickly and put on a small smile. "So, I think I might be able to keep this ragtag band you've assembled on the right path and out of trouble,"

Inside the Office

ProfessorKo.png.c3068667d62ec82f81fc801ccc094ec0.pngHe nods idly listening to everyone else's final remarks. At Durruk's intimation that he knows the area, Professor Ko claps his hands together and smiles. "Excellent! Then I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all. As far as I'm concerned," he adds, to Fei and Miki's eagerness, "You all can leave as soon as you're ready. I wish you the best of luck!"

spacer.png“As am I,” she says after Fei. What little Khulan even has is neatly organised and secure in her kitbag, ready to grab and go from the home of Fei’s uncle and aunt. Though she keeps it to herself, that Air Nomads took care to learn smithing themselves interests Khulan immensely. Something for her to read more into on her own time, perhaps.

With another polite bow to Professor Ko, Khulan turns to her companions. “If there're no objections, I volunteer to collect and inventory our supplies.” Logistics were one of many tedious tasks she’s able to do in her sleep, and something most people try to avoid as much as possible. “Anybody have additional provisions or equipment they need to buy with our discretionary funds, before we leave?”

Khulan herself has a list longer than her arm of small home comforts she would love to buy, but not in Ba Sing Se. Short of returning to Yu Dao, she'll never see a fire flakes stall for who knows how long.

• 2 weeks later...

Lower Ring, Ba Sing Se, Earth Kingdom

image.jpeg.21db83eda819895180af3e9144e512c8.jpeg

image.jpeg.e7b5c098ca89636a207cef2c69020809.jpegFei rushes up the stairs towards her aunt and uncle's apartment two at a time. She'd spent the walk home chattering at Khulan about what else they might discover about the Air Nomads while looking to acquire the censer, her excitement palpable. 

The sound of voices raised in argument greet her as she reaches the floor housing her extended family. She looks at Khulan with surprise plain on her face. She brings a finger to mouth to signal the need for silence and creeps closer, then leans against the wall next to the apartment's door.

"-ly more than a child! She belongs with her family, not in harm's way on some foolish quest," she can hear her uncle saying heatedly.

"She wants answers. I would too, in her shoes. Besides, the University will be feeding and providing for her while she's away. We could use the relief," her aunt replies, more calmly.

"Is this what's it about?" Fei's uncle replies bitterly. "Food? She's not your blood, so it's okay she might gets worse if it means our bellies are a bit fuller?"

The silence that follows hangs heavy. Fei's grin has vanished. She pushes off the wall and moves to stand in front of the door. She takes a deep breath, plasters a new smile on her face, and pushes the door open. "Hi auntie! Hi uncle!" she says cheerfully as she blows through the common room like a breeze. The two adults stare at her, frozen like fox antelope caught in the beam of a lantern. "The Professor's got another lead! Khulan and I are going to be gone for a few days. Maybe a couple of weeks."

Fei hurries to her room and retrieves her kusarigama from the ceiling hook she hangs it on, as well as her bag. She stuffs some spare clothing into it. She steps back out. "Don't worry, I'll be careful. Don't wait up!" She leaves the apartment without giving them the usual hug.

Fei only stops moving once she emerges back out onto the street. She leans against the wall and sighs. She tilts her head to look at Khulan as the other girl exits the apartment building. "Grown-ups, am I right? Let's go meet up with the others."

spacer.png

Raised voices of a disapproving family feel as familiar to Khulan as getting half her arm scorched in an honour duel. Familiar, and maybe even as painful too. It didn't mix well with the crushing paranoia that couldn't wait for her to leave Ba Sing Se

Following Fei’s lead, Khulan drops low and stays quiet. Hearing the argument clearly only makes her feel worse. She has to say something to Fei. Something to offer little comfort and understanding, she knew that’s what she’s meant to do in a time like this. But her words are all stuck in the mud before they reach her lips, there’s no getting anything out.

While Fei rushes in like nothing was wrong, Khulan pads in like any sudden movement might get her attacked by a wild moose-lion. “Auntie. Uncle.” She bows, rote respect well since beaten into her well enough to be muscle memory. “You have my deepest gratitude for your hospitality.” A loud Fei bursts back past, just as Khulan gets to her pack. A few tools are still left out from her weekly weapons maintenance, but they’re hastily swept into her kitbag. With another quick bow to Fei's Aunt and Uncle, she backs out of the apartment after Fei with grace and speed.

Already holding the supplies, it takes a moment to balance out the weight. Khulan looks at Fei, nodding in agreement for entirely too long before her mouth finally manages to form some words. “Family……… is hard,” says the honours graduate from the Royal Fire Academy for Girls.

image.jpeg.e562b7667289e95890a85926f231ba34.jpegFei smiles sadly at Khulan as the two of them start walking towards the west gate. "They've been through a lot. We all have. It's taken a toll. My uncle clings to me like I can bring back his brother, my dad, in some way. Sometimes, when he looks at me, there's such sadness in his eyes... I wonder if he misses him more than I do..." The last few words come out in a whisper, barely audible over the hubbub the densely packed Lower Ring.

"My aunt is more... practically-minded. I don't think we would have made it to Ba Sing Se if it wasn't for her keeping such a solid head on her shoulders. Earth Nation, through-and-through," Fei chuckles.

She walks in silence for a bit. She looks at Khulan, then back ahead, then again at Khulan. After a few stolen glances, she clears her throat. "What, um... what about you? You haven't said much about your folks, since we met. You don't have to, of course, if you don't want to. I'm just... I can listen if you do."

spacer.pngAfter the excruciating effort it took to hand out her words of wisdom, Khulan's content to just stay quiet and listen on the way to the west gate. Though she smiles wanly at finding some common ground with Fei when she talks about her aunt. “If I didn’t have my auntie encouraging me to go out and see the world, I don’t think I would’ve even run into any of you.” She finds voice enough to share.

“My folks? I…

Dad died when the water tribe sank his ship in the Northern Sea and Mum basically governs the biggest city in the colonies. Yeah, say that. You have great folks, Fei won't be able to wait to come visit. She'll love trying flaming fire flakes.

Khulan shakes her head to clear those thoughts out from the front of her mind. “Sorry. I’m really not used to talking about myself. I don’t know how much I can even say, Fei. My father died when I was very young, I never really knew him. My mother…” Her voice falters hard while she tries to scrape together the right words.

“…she has a lot of very clear expectations for me. About what my life is, and what my place in the family needs to be. Until I achieve all she's expecting from me, it doesn't matter what I think or what I want to do. It's such a heavy weight to around my neck and sometimes I don't know if I can keep holding it anymore."

Pent up vitriol spews forth far more quickly than Khulan expects, so she shuts herself up before she says something incriminating. “So that's why I haven't said much about my folks, I guess."

image.jpeg.a2821cb109e9857ae2ab53e83de5e68d.jpegFei blinks in surprise as Khulan opens up. She listens quietly as they keep walking. When the other girl stops, she stays silent for a moment, searching for the right words. "Family... is hard," she says. The corner of her mouth tilts up.

Fei looks up at the sky, or rather, the bits of it she can see between the tall tenement buildings and the crisscross of clotheslines over the street. "My parents expected things of me, too, but they always made sure I had time to explore, even if it meant I'd skin my knee, or learn things they'd rather I didn't. Without that... I can see how it could be suffocating."

"I'm glad you had your aunt. She sounds neat. Besides, if she hadn't pushed you to seek your own path, we wouldn't have met! And I'm not just saying that because you saved my butt when we did," she smiles at Khulan.