Out-of-Character Chat

ArtamenaV

1 hour ago, Green Ice Cream said:

@Ziminar

So, here's what I posted:

Movement: running to the surrounding trees near the disturbance (Speed- 30 feet)

Action: hiding among trees

Bonus Action: equip shortbow

-

My apologies, but I have a few questions...

1. How many feet is each of those little squares on the map? I'm not sure if 30 feet gets me to the trees.

2. My intention was to 'hide' (as an action). I cannot find a definitive answer to what bonuses I add to the roll. Is it 1d20 + 6 (stealth)?

3. Do I even get a bonus action? Not certain.

4. Ideally, I would 'dash' to the trees if I needed extra movement to reach them. Then I would 'hide'. Is that a possibility?

5. Lastly, is equipping my shortbow required, or can I just attack?

-

Again, sorry for this. I've been reading guide after guide, but I'm still uncertain. I'd appreciate any help, and I'll do my best to catch on quickly.

Thanks. 🙂

1. Almost invariably 5-foot-squares, so 30 feet is 6 squares.
  2. See https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/18483-out-of-character-chat/page/4/#comment-292525 It's a Dexterity (Stealth) check.
  3. That depends mostly on your class, but any character wielding two light melee weapons can make a second attack as a bonus action with their 'off hand' without adding their modifier to their second damage roll. Currently, your rogue is like any other character and has no features that grant him a bonus action. Next level (level 2), you will gain the Cunning Action class feature, which will let you take the dash, disengage, or hide action as a bonus action on your turn.
  4. Again, this depends on your class. First and foremost, be very careful not to use mechanical terms to describe your actions unless you mean those specific actions. In this case, 'dash' is a mechanical term that means moving up to your movement-speed as an action in addition to moving your normal movement during your turn. Most characters would either have to move and dash as an action or move and hide as an action. 2nd-level rogues can move, dash as an action, and hide as a bonus action.
  5. Equipping, nocking, and drawing an arrow before loosing it are all part of the Ranged Attack action with a long bow, shortbow, or crossbow. The important thing to note here is that if you want to switch weapons (that is to say, un-equip and put away your bow and then draw a new weapon out to fight with), such as switching from using your bow to using a shortsword, takes an action. Alternatively, you can just drop your bow on the ground as a free action and take out your shortsword.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Drifter Dwarf said:

I wasn't sure if it was the Player turn again. I was waiting for a wolf to eat Victor ;)

Well it tried but failed sadly, it sure was hungry for some sorcerer meat.

8 hours ago, Ziminar said:
DM

@Kamishiro_Rin Hold on, the wolves go first. So this is your second turn, right?

Yeah, sorry about that. I saw that you DM posted and just assumed that the next turn had started.

And yes, that will be my second turn, so you can just leave the post as is and reference it for Turn 2.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

Yeah, sorry about that. I saw that you DM posted and just assumed that the next turn had started.

And yes, that will be my second turn, so you can just leave the post as is and reference it for Turn 2.

Cool, thanks for the quick reply

@Ziminar Are all up again?

I recommend a short initiative tracker with each combat post. Every DM does it different.

I care about first round initiative and sometimes initiative order, so I do something that shows order and turn groups quick like:

Round 2:
Victor, Kresh, Aelysune, Ultonius
Wolves
Trisae, Durin, Chipluck <--Up

But just mentioning even something like:

Party Up!

Can help keep things going.

On 5/12/2024 at 1:00 AM, Cointhief said:

I recommend a short initiative tracker with each combat post. Every DM does it different.

I care about first round initiative and sometimes initiative order, so I do something that shows order and turn groups quick like:

Round 2:
Victor, Kresh, Aelysune, Ultonius
Wolves
Trisae, Durin, Chipluck <--Up

But just mentioning even something like:

Party Up!

Can help keep things going.

Thanks for the tip, I will do that from now on.