Issue #02 - The First Day is the Hardest

Khakhan

spacer.pngFelix Neel - Magnet

Felix gets more comfortable leaning against a wall and crosses his arms. He strongly feels like this is an initiation prank, so he watches the show... because he believes it to all be a show.

He looks at Ty and Becks, and then at his fellow students, especially the new girl and boy expecting some of them to be in on it.

• 2 weeks later...

1_d0b921dd157cefed815e2066970b35b41ebf0dbb_hq.jpg.a18b6d34541c0004139cca60acd89be0.jpg Sarah - Artifice

Sarah shook her head. What if this was real? She had witnessed the video, had this been a prank, unless they were very good they did not have the time to edit it. So for the moment, she decided to take this seriously. "Alright, let's for the moment assume you are correct and not pulling anything over on us" She was not sure why she of all people was being the voice of reason, but stranger things have happened in the world. "We were in the game, both Felix and I hit you," she pointed to Becks, "with a double whammy. But this was similar to how we had brought Ty down." She began making sure to be clear in her thoughts.

"For Ty, I had chosen mental magic, for Becks a more physical blast. Ty's powers seem to be more rooted in Magic, or of Nature. Becks though is rooted in Technology. There may have been an interaction between her tech, Felix's power, and my own. However, that would not explain how you were not sent on this journey with us." She realized that she was looking HARD at the table and looked up to look into their eyes as she strained to keep her voice steady as her emotions began to tug at her.

"After Becks was dropped, SOMETHING happened. We were one moment in the training room, and another, still in the room, but things were different. Like we were in the aftermath of an apocalypse. Jan then told us to remain where we were, and after much too long but perhaps was not more than a few minutes we were returned to the previous room where we were accosted as if we lit the Dean's coattails on fire" She could tell that her voice strained to remain calm.

Sarah then spoke softly but firmly, "You accost us looking for answers and are frustrated when we fight back, but from our perspective, virtually no time has passed. Felix claims that this must be hazing because from our perspective what else could it be?" she stood up, not a great height to either of them, "Jan seemed to know more of what happened, perhaps we should ask HER these questions, perhaps...PERHAPS we may get more of an answer than accusations!" by the end Sarah could feel her magic straining, fighting the Omega House. She still did not understand how this could be, or if it was the entity tied to Ty keeping her in check.

She was grateful, even though she felt like this moment was perhaps just the right time to let loose. The feeling seemed to be a build without a release and only served to cause her more irritation than the peace that it should.

• 2 weeks later...

CF00AACF-FBBA-45B3-ABD4-AC000CA130DA.jpeg.20ed52b8555c57e2c4d47e6c6e76b528.jpeg Jan -OOBLECK

Jan freezes up overwhelmed. Sputtering to answer any questions in anything approaching any more detail than she had already offered up, this was a first for her man. You don’t spend a… man how long two weeks, a month. Almost all of it alone and hiding from them. Until she met him, a giant narcissist, a frikkin Adonis. One that quickly became so much more. She would treasure that week with Darius as they fought and hid. A pang struck her chest tight and sharp at a small loss amidst the chaos

She opened her mouth to try to speak and then he came into the kitchen, right there. Walked right by her like he belonged here. And her heart hurt again because that week could only happen in the apocalypse. Here, now, he was him, and even though she knew for sure she could get it… she didn’t have the time or the energy and that was just plain sad

Ty and the rest stormed in and demanded answers while providing what structure people with their limited position of authority could help to bring in the middle of the insanity that had been popping off here.

Everyone followed them to the table and Jan just straight froze mouth agape. What the heck is she supposed to do with this. UGH. Jan dropped her head and let her shoulders slouch as she walked to the table a beat behind the rest. Trying to shake the half fugue state she was in just in time to hear literally everyone she could name throw her under the bus.

“Cool, yeah, okay, so… man. UGH. Okay so thanks guys. This show of support is both understood and forgiven even if it does break my itsy bitsy heart.”

Jan tightens her bun and huffs a bit,“So from my end I just need you to know this is all a little intense okay, so if we could mellow for a sec as I get a hold of my rapidly emerging wicked case of ptsd.” Here surrounded by literally everyone she could name at this school she took three quick breaths and then dove back in, “I woke up on the future. The world ended. There was fire, weird smoke, debri everywhere, everyone was dead or gone, and every night they came and I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it though fighting and hiding. I saw some newspaper and a few scraps that make me think it was a year from when I fell asleep in my lab, and I’ve got some names that might know something or might not but we have to try to stop it. So anything is better than nothing. I don’t know how I got back, it shouldn’t have worked but it did. But, that’s all old news. For the last week of my life I spent it with that glorious idiot right there Darius.” She ends her rant pointing at the new arrival.

• 2 weeks later...

A resounding silence follows Jan's speech. Slowly, eyes shift towards Darius who looks completely bewildered by the short girl's proclamation.

"Uh. I've never met you before in my life..." He looks around the room, and jerks his hands up when he gets to Ty. "No bullshit, man."

Ty nods and scrubs his face with a hand, sighing. "I believe you." He focuses on the rest of the team, and rolls his shoulders. "Okay. Assuming none of you have any further clues, we need to get on this." He looks over at Becks who nods and pushes away from the table. "I'll get in contact with Mr. Summers and see what he wants us to handle."

Ty stands, clapping his hands together. "Joy. Extra homework. Okay folks. Some facts not widely known to the public. One, the school does train heroes, not just students with powers. The reason it's done here is for security and safety. Many of the faculty and staff are retired heroes, and the school itself is located on a nexus of ley lines. Two, that nexus sometimes... attracts attention from the wider universe. Seems you guys got caught up in the mess." He moves around the table and opens the fridge, looking through it for a moment before closing it without taking anything.

"Now we have to figure out just how deep in it you are."

CF00AACF-FBBA-45B3-ABD4-AC000CA130DA.jpeg.20ed52b8555c57e2c4d47e6c6e76b528.jpeg Jan -OOBLECK

Jan stutters her mouth fluttering like a fish gasping for air as she processes everything, “Alright well on the real I didn’t expect you to recognize me. Like even if you did dream about it or somehow transport like I did. But I bet you’re just lucky or something. That or you’re damn good. You lived, or well you’re going to. Seems weird but we become buds.”

Shaking her head Jan looks to Ty and the rest of the authority figures. Almost doe eyed, ”You believe me? That hero stuff makes sense. Just a leap of logic I had assumed to be the case already. Thanks for the confirmation though. But back to the important stuff. You believe that I traveled in time?”

spacer.png
Megan - Newt

Seemed to make as much sense as anything. Up until like a couple seconds ago Megan was pretty sure it was all some elaborate prank so sure. Time Travel. Stop the end of the world. Why not? Seemed totally like the sort of thing someone who could burn stuff should be in charge of.

"I mean you could be lying but that's such a random lie that'd either be stupid or brilliant. Since you kinda shot your shot with the new guy doing it I'm gonna say you're like stupid sincere. So why not? Time Travel. Wouldn't even be the weirdest thing thing that happened to me."

Well maybe that wasn't always going to be true. Jan's story notably didn't have some parts in it. And if that burned out scene they flashed into last week apparently it wasn't a huge leap to assume what happened to everyone else, Megan included. "So that was like a year from now? Sucks. At least it sounds like we went out quick if you were alone or whatever."

1_d0b921dd157cefed815e2066970b35b41ebf0dbb_hq.jpg.a18b6d34541c0004139cca60acd89be0.jpg Sarah - Artifice

How Deep they are? HOW DEEP THEY ARE? Sarah thought that they were in pretty deep. "So Jan was sent to the future for a long stretch, then somehow managed to rubber band us to the future with her and then back?" Sarah for just once wanted to remain in one place for more than a few months. At least it was not dimensional. She tried to put on a calm face, but felt like a tempest inside. "So Jan, you woke up in the future, so I can only assume that you do not know how you got there. How did you work out how to use the Wreck Room to get yourself back?" Sarah could only assume that her attempt at doing so is what dragged them there.

But then, it could have been more. There may have been a beacon created by their powers combining. Or it could have just been dumb luck. Sarah was not sure which she would prefer at this time.

Jan looked annoyed but at this point that was established as me her modes of existence, “Yup, woke up there no idea what happened or how. To answer the how you got back angle it’s called Science Sarah. It’s why I’m here..”

Jan looks around the room .”Between the weeping and crying and running for my life I actually had a lot of time to think. So I did, and once enough things started to click and the ideas were falling like dominos I made it happen because that’s what a super scientist does.”

• 3 months later...

Sarah sat back down in shock. She had been focused on their own predicament, she had not even begun to think of what Jan may have gone through, or for how long. "Damn, I am sorry, I...we...I'm sorry to hear that. It must have been hell." This did deflate her growing frustration and pressure on her.

Then the thought that all of this bombarding of questions was just to see if their story changed or test them on what they perceived as the series of events. Sarah began to look at the "others" with suspicion.

Jan looks at Sarah and her glasses fall back down her nose. She pushes them back up her nose and pushes her hair out of her face huffing , “Thank you. I’m sorry if I’m being erratic or like whatever. This is just a lot. Like so much a lot. This is what we do though right? We’re going to be supers. We are supers.”

Jan raises her head and looks around the room, snuffling and clearing her throat before clearly asking the room, ”So what do we do now .”