Issue #02 - The First Day is the Hardest

Khakhan

young-blond-boy-skateboard-3322386.jpg.0ec27ffeacc3c3341538b264b8281d55.jpgFelix Neel - Magnet

Felix wonders what Sarah means by misfits.  Does it mean that everyone in Omega House has powers.  Or, does it mean that there are others with powers, and we really are the misfits.  Before Felix can reply to Sarah, a third girl arrives.  To Sarah, he quietly rhetorically asks, "misfits?" 

Hubris's question shocks him a bit, "uh, yeah.  It's a Toy Machine.  We're in English together, right?  You ride?"  Wow, she's got a lot of metal and electronics in her spine and arm, very sophisticated.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Hubris.png.db4ae380db730e0541d032c40c579ba6.png Hubris Hammersmith - Iteration

"English Composition, yes. I'm also in English Literature, which I feel is...over-broad of a category. Not looking forward to The Great Gatsby." Hubris opines while stretching her legs in preparation for...whatever kind of exercise this was bound to be. "Uhh, yes. You could say I 'ride'. Sure." It had been a couple years since she had skated, she'd tried it but preferred running. Her motorcycle counted as riding, though, right? She fishes in a low profile hip pocket for a hair tie and pulls her hair back away from her face before considering Felix's unkempt hair. She fishes out another one and offers it to him. "'Skate or Die.' Would you consider this a core motivation, or is it just a shirt?"

young-blond-boy-skateboard-3322386.jpg.0ec27ffeacc3c3341538b264b8281d55.jpgFelix Neel - Magnet

Felix accepts the hair tie and pulls it on to his left wrist, not quite ready to pull his hair back.  "Thanks."

Her question makes him look down at his tee shirt reading it upside down.  After a few seconds, he looks back at her and offers, "um.  Never thought about it.  Maybe both, I guess?"

"How about you?  You still have a board?"  His asks with genuine curiosity.  It would be too perfect to find a skater girl here.  So, she probably just tried it for awhile, didn't commit to it.

After you get changed, Ty leads everyone across the campus and into the main building. You then take a set of stairs down past the basement level. Eventually you are led into a huge room, easily a hundred feet to a side. The walls are a dull gray color, and there seem to be a few panels that look like they might slide away to reveal something.

Becks is standing in the room as well, and Ty walks over to stand beside her. The two of them stretch, and then Becks begins her little pep talk.

"All right folks, welcome to the Wreck Room. This is where we can get serious training done, both in fighting and in learning to control your powers. We’re going to be starting easy today, with just a few different simulations. The important thing to remember is that we have technology in place to dampen any sort of damage that might be done to you or others. You can go full bore here, and you won’t hurt anyone."

"This room can project real to life holographic images composed of real matter. If you’re a fan of Star Trek or The Orville, then think of this place like the Holodeck – only without all the weird accidents and malfunctions. Today we’re going to run through a few training exercises just to get you guys used to working together as a team."

"You’ll be facing off against me and Ty in various little exercises. The first one will be a capture the flag style game. It’ll be set in a warehouse sort of building, and you guys will have to track us down and find a way to capture the flag from us. Once you’ve managed that, we’ll try something different."

"We’ll give you folks a few minutes to get ready and talk just a little bit of strategy before we get started. Good luck!"

With that Ty wanders off with Becks to the far side of the room, and the two of them bend their heads down in discussion. The chuckle once or twice while looking back at you, but otherwise they seem confident.

spacer.png
Megan - Newt

Okay so that was going to be the game? Going all out probably meant different stuff to Megan than it did to most people but if they were seriously saying to, well....

But they had to talk strategy or whatever. Megan was smart enough to know that this was all about working together or some BS rather than actually getting the flag and she'd have heard that explicitly if she'd actually been paying attention but surprisingly she hadn't. "So what, we figure out what we're gonna do now? You wanna just whip 'em out? See what everybody can do?" Megan didn't wait for any confirmation one way or the other before the temperature in their little huddle suddenly spiked and her arm and hand burst into flames. Even if the room wasn't apparently protecting them Megan wouldn't have felt anything doing that. Actually it felt kinda nice!

She moved the fire up her arm and onto her hand, and then it wasn't on her hand anymore and just floating above it. Megan lazily had it orbit around as she continued, "I can do a lot more too but it's all pretty much fire. Bet I can find Ty pretty easy, dude's like a furnace tho I guess he's probably gonna like, play keep away instead of try and hide. If what he did at Omega is any clue he's gonna go all hairy as soon as he can and I'm gonna say Bigfoot is a lot faster than he looks."

1_d0b921dd157cefed815e2066970b35b41ebf0dbb_hq.jpg.a18b6d34541c0004139cca60acd89be0.jpg Sarah - Artifice

Sarah watched Megan light up with appreciation, it seemed that everyone had powers that were so very cool. Sarah always thought that what she did was not very flashy, but then again, not everything needed flashy. She decided that it was  not quite time to draw her wand, that would come later.

"Ty is probably faster than he looks, but he also spoke to me earlier about "Stepping" or a form of teleportation, so don't think that you will corner him easily even if you can pin him down." she said wanting to make sure that she added her piece before she forgot or got drowned out in other strategy. "Also, this is set in a warehouse, so it will limit any advantage of flight."

Sarah said that last part for herself more than for any other of her teammates. She was all set to take to the skies and shoot from there, but this was going to force her to think on her feet and consider what other options she had for herself.  As annoying as it was, this was a good thing, better to be forced to consider new options and new ways to use her powers now in a controlled environment than in the field.

Felix studies the magnetic materials and fields of the Wreck Room, nothing that he has ever seen before, maybe nothing from this world.  When he listens to the rules of the game, the skater studies Ty and Becks for magnetic materials and fields hoping it will be useful.

He takes a step back from Megan when she lights on fire.  Fire!  Holy crap!  That's must be why her magnetic aura is so odd.  "Umm.  I uh can uh control magnetic fields.  I've never seen anything like the materials in here.  And if the Room can create matter, some of it could be magnetic or not."

"Sounds like we've a bit of hide-and-seek.  Then, we need to take a flag from one of them.  Uh Sarah, what can you do?  Megan burns stuff, and she, indicating Hubris, is laced with cybernetics, so she probably has a bunch of tricks up her sleeves, so to speak."  He asks quietly. 

As they make their way through the sub-basement Hubris makes a mental note to bring her cowl next time, set to...ultrasonic? It's probably shielded but she'd love to get a scan behind the walls down here. If there's a next time, this is feeling like Dungeon time down here...

But instead of a horrible dungeon, Hubris is pleasantly surprised to find a Sim-room, though what kind of fidelity they're looking at is still up in the air. She nods along with the explanation, keeping up motion while she does, jogging in place, twisting to keep loose instead of standing still.

Once Becks and Ty walk off by themselves, she turns to the huddle with everyone else. "Okay, like, three things. One." she points at Felix, "Dude, rude to be talking about people's private medical biz like that, geez." she gripes, then pauses and shrugs. "Not that you weren't gonna find out." as she detaches the sleeve from her left shoulder and pulls it off. Soon after, a shimmer runs down the arm, projectors turning off to reveal the cybernetic limb underneath. "Two, as someone who knows, 'real to life holographic images composed of real matter' is, like, no explanation at all. That's not great Lingua Techna. And three, I'm betting they fire back with 'you won't be ready for every fight' when I complain that" she raises her voice so that their RAs can hear her clearly, "I don't have all my dang gear but Becks clearly got to prep!"

1_d0b921dd157cefed815e2066970b35b41ebf0dbb_hq.jpg.a18b6d34541c0004139cca60acd89be0.jpg Sarah - Artifice

Sarah listens to the others and was trying to formulate plans on what she could do to help the others and had to do a doubletake when she realized that she had been asked a question. "Oh, I...uh...I do a bit of magic.  I guess a blaster type, though I have a bit of crowd control and healing. Well, I say crowd control it is just a snare and dazzle effect, just one person at a time." she kept her wand in her pocket as she described it. "I will have to see what works best on them, I can change the blast type quite a bit, though gumming them down may be the best of what I can do." then the thought of being able to turn that dazzle or blast into a burst or a cone like a flashlight would be...Sarah again had to bring herself back down to the moment.

"Magnetic fields, sensitive enough to feel or control a person? Or just larger ferrous materials..." Sarah lost her thoughts as Hubris reveals her cybernetic arm...cybernetics were still outside of her understanding and thus the forbidden fruit. She longed to better understand technology believing that it would unlock another understanding of Magic and artifacts.

Felix listens to Hubris and Sarah and replies, "Blaster, crowd control, healing?  Healing!  That's amazing.  Never thought of my powers like blaster or crowd control."

"Yeah, I can see magnetic fields, too.  Everyone's got a different signature.  I can control magnetic material, but I can also create electromagnetic pulses that disrupt electronics and nervous systems.  I've only really tested that on squirrels and birds, though."  He tries not to stare at Hubris's cybernetics.

"Yeah, I watched more than a few videos of some gamers and they used those terms and I felt that they applied so, if the shoe fits." When the computer worked for her, FreeTube was a great resource, at least if you didn't mind only surface level entertainment.  But sometimes mind numbing was just what you needed. "With the failsafe's you may have a chance to push your limits.  Just be safe, no need to harm yourself if you aren't feeling it."

Hubris isn't blind to the attention on her arm, and doesn't seem to mind it. First she pulls the neckline of her athletic top to the side a bit, showing where the metal and ceramic of her shoulder seamlessly transitions to the skin of her collarbone. Then she holds out her arms in parallel, moving them in sync to show how well the prosthetic is matched to her flesh and blood arm. There's no sound to the movement audible to normal ears when she turns and bends the arm, though when she wiggles her fingers they clack softly against each other. With a gesture, there is some sound, whirring and clacking as her forearm and hand reconfigure into something distinctly gun-like. "Projected energy packets, standard 'blaster' type stuff, or electric blasts designed to interfere with most bio or tech platforms. Or..." another gesture and the limb reconfigures back into a hand, mostly, but some of the energy projection system moves forward to both become a bit of the hand and be held by it, what looks more or less like a... "Plasma blade." Hubris triggers the sci-fi looking hilt and a blossom of white-hot energy pours out, spilling light and heat into the middle of the group. She waves, it, carefully, from side to side, the magnetic bottle containing the plasma making a vwoom vwoom sound with the motion.

When Sarah got a better view of Hubris's arm...it was amazing. A seamless amalgamation of flesh and technology. Then the arm...changed. Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. That was SOOOOOO COOL! "That is amazing Hubris. My magic isn't all that flashy, I have utilized stable contained rituals that I cast with my wand." With mixed feelings about the cat about to be out of the bag and show and tell Sarah drew her wand.

spacer.png

"This is the wand that I use to cast those suspended rituals. The hammer applies my sigil to the shell and I apply a bit of my will to...cast the spell." she then reached into her pocket to pull out a shell that was approximately the size and shape of a launchable grenade. It was made from a mix of some wood, glass or see through structure with a swirling blood red...something inside. "I have trouble casting spells from scratch, but I am pretty good at rituals and crafting magical items but that arm is amazing, I have never thought about trying to create a 'plasma blade', I mean, I couldn't use my wand, but perhaps if I create a dedicated hilt..." Sarah trailed off quickly lost the mechanics of how to create such a blade.  Perhaps if she started with a dagger or short sword length...

SARAH she brought herself back to now.  Capture the Flag. "So how do we want to do this? Chaotic rush? Two of us pin down Ty & Becks & the other two make for the flag? Subterfuge?"

Edited by Streetrat (see edit history)

spacer.png
Megan - Newt

Megan didn't know much about that nerd stuff but "blaster" didn't sound too bad to her honestly. Better than the pervy new kid copping to torturing small animals. No surprise the gothy chick did some magic but the way looked a little different. "Dude, that's just a ****in' gun."

Comparative magical styles aside they needed a plan instead of just showing off their guns and metal arms and whatever else. "Anyway. If Ty was trying to teach you how to blink around he's probably pretty good. I guess we gotta leave someone to guard our **** otherwise he can just win or whatever right? "

Felix's eyebrows shoot up when she sees Hubris's gun, then light saber.  Then, they stay roofed when Sarah describes her wand-gun.  He concludes that he's the only one without a gun.  Girls with guns seems to be a theme.

He takes a deep breath to recover what cool he can and replies to the crazy redhead.  "Don't think we've a flag this round.  Since y'all have guns, I'll volunteer to go get their flag, this time."

He pulls his hair back using the hair-tie that Sarah gave him.