The GM's Library of Ancient Knowledge

cailano

Then I shall risk the penalty of a point in order to recommend something that might be more actionable for a new game referee:

"The Rules of Dungeoncraft" series by Ray Winninger circa 1997-1999: his first rules were revealed in issue #256 of Dragon magazine, following his preamble or introductory essay printed in the previous issue.

All 29 essays are freely available online: Ray Winninger's "Dungeoncraft" Essays (darkshire.net)

I frequently choose to ignore his first rule of dungeoncraft, but his second rule of dungeoncraft is an excellent guideline that every role-playing game referee should consider following. Mr. Winninger references the byzantine ruleset of late AD&D, but most of his own rules could easily be applied to later editions published by the Wizards of the Coast as well as the old basic edition of D&D by Professor Holmes that I used to play, and other games too.

Basically everything on The Alexandrian website-and I guess his new book is pretty good too (though, I haven't read it).

Pretty surprised no one's mentioned it yet, tbh!