X1: The Isle of Dread

Eric

What System?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What system shall we use to explore this forbidden island:

• Basic D&D (the classic)
    • Warrior Rogue & Mage (the alt-classic)
    • Risus (the third-party candidate)
    • Ironsworn (the dark horse)

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, Kalidas said:

If you are happy to have a new player, I will be happy to join. I am actually very familiar with Ironsworn because I played it solo a fair bit and I have recently been into OSR stuff, so Basic would be fun too. I don't mind slotting into whichever needs more players.

Oh, absolutely great to have new players! Will see how actual interest shakes out, but at this point it’s a blank slate—whichever sounds more fun to you.

Oh, man. This was sounding fun, but now I need to make a decision. Retro, or new hotness? :-)

I don't know, I was more of a Moldvay B/X player, I'm not sure I have truck with this modern BECMI nonsense.

The thing about Ironsworn that excited me most is how it captured the narrative flexibility of the early D&D editions without sacrificing the "well, sometimes circumstances are just against you" feeling. Probably the biggest difference is in how magic is managed, since true casters are essentially non-existent in Ironsworn. I think both options will be a lot of fun in very different ways.