Altaïr Abd al-Aziz — Aasimar Paladin

Mamori23

Altaïr Abd al-Aziz

A thrown away nobleson harboring resentment for his blood.

DnDBeyondSheet Theme Music

b74b966a08a33cd0ffab6d3870c1f1c8.jpg.6d65a37227712b5e6c84dea6c278520e.jpg
General Information

Race: Aasimar (Scrourge)
Height: 6'2''
Weight: 198 Ibs.

Class: Paladin
Background: Noble 
Origin: Al-Qadim - Zakhara, Huzuz

Stats
Hit Points: 12/12
Hit Dice: 1d10
AC: 18
Initiative:  - 1
Proficiency Bonus: + 2
Passives: 

Insight 11 

Perception 11

Investigation 10 

Abilities & Skills

STR

(+2)

DEX

(-1)

CON

(+2)

INT

(+0)

WIS

(+1)

CHA

(+3)

+2 Saves -1 Saves +2 Saves +0 Saves +3 Saves +5 Saves
+2 Athletics -1 Acrobatics
-1 Sleight of Hand
-1 Stealth
  +0 Arcana
+2 History
+0 Investigation

+0 Nature
+2 Religion
+1 Animal Handling
+1 Insight
+1 Medicine
+1 Perception
+1 Survival
+5 Deception
+3 Intimidation
+3 Performance
+5 Persuasion

Application Information

Altaïr Abd al-Aziz

A thrown away nobleson harboring resentment for his blood.

"Saint Bernard" - Lincoln

Basics -                            Description -                                                                                            

Race: Aasimar (Scourge Variant)
Sex: Male

Height: 6'2''

Weight: 198 Ibs

Class: Paladin

Background: Noble (Knight Variant)

Origin: Al-Qadim - Zakhara, Huzuz

• Personality: Altaïr share's all the expected traits one would find in the youngest of three brothers—expect mulitple that with wealth. He hides it well behind a crafted persona of chivilary and duty, along with time within the chapel having tempered some of his worser habits, but within a man who speaks for service for his god holds a soul of deep contempt. A talker without much substance, highly confident, spoiled, and generally act's with displeasure when requested to perform his duties. 

• Appearance: Altaïr, much to his inner displeasure, wears his family heritage down to the last spot. He stands taller then most men, with brown skin and raven locks curling right at his neck. The only tell for some to discern him different from a common human holds within his eyes; unnaturally golden even for an elf, oozing with energy and a luminous glow most notable when in the dark of night. When performing for his duties, he wears an iron breastplate armorer, fitted with greaves, tight pants, and tall finely leathered boots. At his waist is a longsword of fine craftmanship and a sheild on his back holding the symbol of Helm. When out of armor, he wears a fine clothing carefully taken of with his coat bearing the emblem of his family house. 

Backstory -

Altaïr was born the third son of Amir Abd al-Aziz, one of the trusted advisers for the Grand Caliph and aspiring figures within the church of the Enlightenment given his blood being touched by the celestials. As the third son, Altaïr was given the lesser tasks of his brothers who out perfomed him in nearly every regard; from financing of the family accounts as his eldest brother, Zahir, to having a gifted talent in combat as his second brother, Nasir. It grew a festering heart when matched against his brothers, each attempt to gain his father attention turning pointless when compared to their achievements.

This fester turned into aimlessly delights, filling his shame with the pleasures of the street life; from wine, to women, to gambling away his allowance. He brought disgrace after disgrace, finally achieving his goal of gaining his father eye by mockery of his actions. 

It came to an eventually head when Altaïr shown his final hate towards the very pantheon his father gained most of his prasies for, with a desecration to one of the holy sites to Loregiver. He showed his envy, and distaste of expections placed upon him out of appearance for what he is. An unforgivable act, but through the pleading of his mother, Raya, ever doting to her blessed sons, requested for a different course of action instead of sending the boy to prison; or worse.

Amir instead made arrangements, cooling heads, though some were not satisfied for such disrespect as the radicals called for his head, and exhanged coins to have his son shipped away, far, far away as possible as to not bring more shame to his brothers or his family any longer. "You brought woe to our family my son, ruin carries within you to deep for even the Loregiver to forgive you. Pershaps you belonged to a different god, may they find a purpose for you as here - you're no longer welcomed."

The final words said between father and son, as Altaïr watched his home become smaller and smaller in the distance. He was shipped to the Sword Coast, having been placed in the hands of a brotherhood of Helm to where he grew from his eariler twenties onwards within as a knight in this new gods name. 

-Start of Darkness                                   -Why We Fight                     -Deepest, Darkest, Desire

Altaïr's darkness started in that burning of Loregiver, within the fires he saw he's true displeasure and that was in the glory his father and brothers achieved through their blood. He understood his disdain then, frivolous love for figures and titles amounted to nothing when touched by fire. It mattered to nothing, as did he.  Altaïr's movition stems from "duty" now. He must follow his oath to Helm, and strike evil whereever it lurks, even if there is relecuntance in each swing he takes and how much he finds himself again locked in a gods worship.  Altaïr, though he resents it all, does seek the purpose his father mentioned. Through the years he understood some complusion within him, a drive to purge even when his mind resisted to follow completely through. For what reason did it come? Would it finally make him a man notable? Would it bring him the love of his family he sourly craved? 

- Duchess's Designs                                               - Deity

Altaïr name carries some notice even so far in Daggerford. A cast out noble from a forigen land giving service to a forigen god? And Aasimar no less? It only made it easier to summon him over when he was taking work in her area for sometime in Helm's name. He was more than eager to accept, ready to put the armor down in famailar, and very comfortable company. 

Rasied as child to Loregiver, now as a man he "praises" Helm. The relationship he holds for the god is a very tense one, given over to him by his father did not start off in a great footing, nor is the strictness of his worship any better. 

The few postives the god provides is a loose sense of being, Altaïr knows what is expected from him, and honors that much, but what does this god expect from him? Can he grant him purpose? This very doubt and disdain brings a contentious relationship that can easily fall out or bring fruit something unexpected.

-Posting Rate

I am able to post 2-3x per week, a little less or more depending on the load of work I have. 

Impressions -

• The paladin Giselle Kelyre and Sulimann the cleric brings such joy in my heart to be among them. Honestly, in this utter hell and shit-hole I'd love to hear more about the faith from others. Privately, keep the horn one away from me, afraid he might take me for a bug and misstep.
  • Ah, yes, another inspiring hero for the bards to sing about in that Dynaheir. Never a shortage of those bright-eye wonders, makes it easier to stand behind them and hope they kept that spirit up long enough to see you out the door before reality smacks them across those misbegotten ideals of heroism.
  • Speaking of bards, Dawn is a very fetching creature, absolute stunner. I'd be willing to lend her my shield if I was not concern for my pockets mysteriously vanishing. I've had a few "experiences" for these kinds of women, and they're very deadly when it comes to funds.
  • On the topic of deadly women, which, for some reason is far too abundent on this table, Morrigan and Joliet are both of whom I am quite certain would hurt me for entierly different reasons. Morrigan for possibly the offense of trying to gain her affection with some curse, and Joliet on some damnable desire for target pratice with that loud metal stick in her hands. What blasted thing is that?
  • Again, more women with sharp pointed objects of death, albit more humours, I do find Andi enjoyable along with Samuel, who is, unfortunately, not a woman, but just as a good-hearted laugh to have beside. They remind of things I dreamt to be as a child, far across the seas building...some sort of name to myself. In another life pershaps, though, there is a quiet humor I find that both would have likely robbed me in a different life as well. 
  • I am quite certain Keahi will rob me now still, craftly little elf better keep his hands away from me, but, I find some kinship with him. I can understand the displeasures not often seen within noblity, sorry thing for the both of us. Though, if you want to call a thing sorry, I'd place that more on Antony and Baric.
  • I can smell the tradegy a mile away from either one of them, Antony another unfortunate brother in the halls of black sheep of the family and Baric is well...rather serious fellow quite honestly. I'm concern mostly cause I can't tell anything on what's going on in his thoughts.
  • Same for that mumbling dwarf Thorben. I can't trust sharing a room, much less camping with a man who talks to his bloodly weapon like its sharing a thought back with him! By the name of Helm I am certain this dwarf will snap and I don't want to be anywhere close to when he does.
  • I, myself, will snap eventually if I share a moment longer with Shazzar. He reeks in that same condescension as my father, and any reminder of him quite frankly brings a desperate need for me to have a cup in my hand as I can't bare to hear another word.

Edited by Mamori23 (see edit history)

Always love to see a good Al-Qadim character! While I am a Planescape guy at heart, Al-Qadim was the best written setting they ever did, and it's not even close.

Very interesting bit of lore usage and playful gains there. Was the desecration a sudden action, or something built on longterm resentment? And why Helm? What kind of Paladin do you see him becoming, what Oath would he take? Why the Sword Coast and not somewhere closer like Chult or Halruua or even Calimsham? How long has he been on the Sword Coast proper? How does his former debauchery mix with his new devotion to find meaning, do the two ever coexist?

As all Al-Qadim characters must answer, what does he think of Fate? Big F, little f, either or.

We'll get started with those.

Thanks! I am honestly new in learning about Forgotten Realms setting so it was a joy to discover in my search! If it appears there is some errors in my search, please I welcome input and assistance in correcting any mistakes. 

• Was the desecration a sudden action, or something built on longterm resentment? 

It was built on longterm resentment, Amir had often taken his family to religuous service were they had been single out due to their blood and where he's father often got his acclaims for the service he'd offered to the church. Altaïr grew sick watching it, causing the spite to build to it snapped during one drunken night after staring into the fire and wondering how he's father would react to seeing it burned down. Would his god protect it? He thought in his head mockingly. 

• And why Helm?

In my understanding looking up Helm, I would believe Amir would think this god perfect in correcting his son behavior and inviting stability. Foregiver in Amir's eyes was possibly not suited to the fire residing in his soul, a different kind of Aasimar that would fit better in Helm's court of viligance against evil. I was thinking basically sending your son off to military school, expect add a zealot church to it.

• What kind of Paladin do you see him becoming, what Oath would he take?

I see Altaïr becoming, if he can make it that far without dying or turning against his faith, would become a paladin of devotion. A man now committed in working in the name of god he would have instead shun away, now see's the need for what he provides, a shield to the defenseless, truth in a world of lies, courage to stand against greater evil, and belief, for once in his life, what it means to do ones duty as who else will? That is the kind of man he see him changing into with time from the party if they can help him understand this, and if he can answer this call in the harsh world of Strahd will throw them under. 

• Why the Sword Coast and not somewhere closer like Chult or Halruua or even Calimsham?

Truthfully, I did not know any of these locations. I had based the Sword Coast as I heard it often enough from my limited knowledge of the setting, and from what I looked up there is a church for Helm in this area. My idea is that Amir simply wanted to send his son as far away as possible so it would be journey to even consider coming back home. The less influnces his son name could bring to the family, the better.

• How long has he been on the Sword Coast proper?

He was 19 when he was shipped away from home, so he has about nine years now living in the Sword Coast to get plenty of time to settle in, and plently of time to miss his home. The area is still foregin to him, strange in some aspects, but great in others as I am about to answer your next question.

•  How does his former debauchery mix with his new devotion to find meaning, do the two ever coexist?

They are at odds, all the time. He falls into his habits on the low, frequently giving into them whenever most convenient from his fellow "brothers and sisters" in faith as they provide comfort from the constant ideals drilled into his skull about duty and justice daily. On the flipside, he does feel his skin slightly crawl at his questions, even when under the cups he relfects on this purpose to find what more in life he can do, or if he is worthy of such things when he repeatdly falls back to these easy delights. I picture Altaïr as someone contradictory, never truly able to settle on either corner due to hate or constant thoughts of self-worth. I figure this game would put a test to that, forceing him in corner no other moment in his life tested to see which man truly lies inside of him. 

• As all Al-Qadim characters must answer, what does he think of Fate? Big F, little f, either or.

Again, plays into his contradictory mindset. He believes in fate, but finds it a toying thing. It mocks people, giving hope in moments it knows the truth of the matter will likely end terribly. But, he also asks for its assistance, praying that were it leads him somewhere good instead of what he's doomed mind predicts would be him likely in the gutter. He falls on any side of the coin, flipping between whatever suits the hour damning or praising it. 

I hope these answer your questions!

Thank you! I'll gladly answer anymore for clairty as I am now thinking on a few fellow paladin brothers and sisters he grew with in training at the church he was with that could've had issues with since his personality was anything but glowing about Helm. 

Oh and I added his impressions of the other members so far! Will add more after a bit.

• What I want

• I would like to see Altair actions of desecration to Loregiver be given some fall back, he acted against a god out of spite and should be given some punishment for it later on for a fun treat.
    • As a noble background, I do so hope to get in some vampire court shenanigans with a ballroom dance maybe? Please.
    • I am really hoping to have Altair be pushed back a lot, I want for him to be tested for the actions he takes of skirtting around his duty so that Helm can bring down the fist on him or, for some dark forces to thrive on his plain distaste for godly good to take advantage on his need for "purpose".

• Three things Altair wants
    • To start, as mentioned Altair wants to find his "purpose" in whatever capacity that may entail as long as its meant for him. 
    • He desires recognition, from others yes, but mostly from his family to who he feels as a failure towards and wants them to see him with praise.
    • Lastly, he wants something to believe. As a creature touch by divinely beings in his blood he finds little faith in them, or fights them out hatred for the "games" they play. He wants to believe in it, or finally set to rest the foolish notion of trusting it at all. 

All of those are doable. I think the pushback in particular is something we'll be able to manage quite handily with little adjustment. And believe me, a vampire dance scene? I already have plans that even mix your suggestions here 😉

Sheet looks good! Question: The Volo version of Aasimar has "guides" for the Aasimars. Does Alt have one?

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

Yay ^-^ I am getting hyped for some ballroom dance music soon!

I wasn't aware there was a guide in fact! I looked it up and came back with an idea that may fall into this need for a purpose possibly? I rolled on the table for the guide and got a kind and parentel figure, somewhat similar to his mother Raya who dotted on him. I would like it to be distant, somewhat offering a guide, but more importantly a counter to his conscious. The force that reminds him that there more to the base desires he wants with some semblance on what he needs to do.