Ye Olde Tavern

Eric

Hail, adventurers, and well met! While the story hasn't yet begun, please say hello and begin discussing your characters and plans for the game. The module is not immensely detailed, being 32 pages plus fold-out maps; therefore, the excitement is very much what you--the players--make of it. As the cover page aptly puts it:

"Products of Your Imagination™️"

Characters are intended to be levels 3-7. Therefore, I have decided everyone will start with 8,000xp and up to 2,000gp to spend on equipment and hirelings. You may also propose (1) magic item of your choosing, or a specific spell for your spellbook if you are a caster; I will randomly assign you (1) additional magic item.

Hello Everyone! So is this the book that I need to create a character?

image.png.2b4d2687f3e9787c9fae4e4775e18938.png

Or do I need the Basic (Red) book as well?

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I typically like to play fighter or cleric types.

The Blue Book should contain pretty much everything, but there may be specific items where it says "see Red Book for description" (such as level 1 spells); in those cases, I can provide them if you don't have the Red Book handy. I do have PDF copies and they are available from DriveThruRPG for purchase, but no one needs to buy the books to be able to play.

I bought Old School Essentials a while back, I believe I should be fine using that for the most part as I believe it's the same information just reorganized. Looking forward to playing with you all. Might need a bit of hand-holding at times from more experienced players but I should have no problem posting regularly.

Excellent. Like I mentioned in the other game, 3-4 posts per week should be pretty typically, recognizing that things Do Come Up. And there's plenty of time to ask questions while we get the group settled in.

17 minutes ago, Mindcrime said:

What time frame are you looking at for having characters completed?

I haven't posted a formal advertisement yet (and may not if word of mouth is sufficient), so I haven't given it a lot of thought. Having looked my personal schedule (rather, the overlapping schedules of my two teenagers), I'm thinking May 19.

8 minutes ago, Modric said:

Can we use the Rules Cyclopedia for character creation?

The RC is largely a repackaging of BECMI at the low levels, so yes--with the caveat that if I do find a difference I care about, BECMI will prevail.

Okay, I'm ready to get started creating my character. How do you want us to determine ability scores? And is there any particular setting that this module will be in (Greyhawk, FR, etc.) for background purposes?

7 hours ago, Mindcrime said:

@Kalidas, first of all, greetings and welcome to MW! Do you have an idea of what kind of character you are wanting to play?

I'm thinking of playing a dwarf all being equal, but it depends on how we are doing character creation. If we are rolling down the line then I'll see where the dice lead.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:11 PM, Mindcrime said:

How do you want us to determine ability scores?

I'm going way outside the normal box here, but I'm going to crib method VI from AD&D 1e: tell me what numbers on the sheet you think would represent your character and make for a fun and fair adventure for you and the rest of the group. If you want to play the nerdy elf and really need that 18 intelligence, I don't want random luck to get in the way of the story. But I'm also fine if you want to take what the dice gods give you and run 6x3d6 down the line, if that's an important part of the nostalgia.

On 5/2/2024 at 5:35 AM, Kalidas said:

I'm thinking of playing a dwarf all being equal

Sounds great! See above.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:11 PM, Mindcrime said:

is there any particular setting that this module will be in (Greyhawk, FR, etc.) for background purposes?

The module is set in Mystara, starting in Specularum (capital of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos) but then heading south across the ocean.