General OOC

My reading is that it is sending, not receiving, and the link bit means either he or the target can choose not to get the message. Since it says ‘creatures’ within range, I think it means he can broadcast widely, like a person talking, since that is what he uses instead of talking, but the link thing means he can broadcast selectively as well by not letting the message go to who he doesn’t want to hear, like whispering, only at range.

So it is a cool little talking replacement, with some extra benefits like the language thing, but not like a probably overpowered party wide radio system.

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)

Like, if he can receive too, there is no more need for anyone in the party to ever talk, since we can just have him relay communications. Kind of overpowered reading, imo, since it would let us just talk away while, say, bluffing a guard or sneaking around a castle or whatever.

And since he is a Face, too, it just makes things more crazy.

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)

Actually, now that I look at it, I overlooked Comprehend Languages as a spell. Mind if I trade out one of his first level spells for that? It is something he would have picked, if I realized it when I was making his spell list. Somehow, I missed that it is a bard spell.

27 minutes ago, KingGoblin said:

Like, if he can receive too, there is no more need for anyone in the party to ever talk, since we can just have him relay communications. Kind of overpowered reading, imo, since it would let us just talk away while, say, bluffing a guard or sneaking around a castle or whatever.

And since he is a Face, too, it just makes things more crazy.

The equivalent spell Rarys Telepathic Bond is 5th level and only lasts an hour, so I'd probably agree with you on that

Message takes your action, and has verbal components. Not sure how that plays, but I’ve never found it all that useful with my DMs.

I think ghostwise halting is one way. Not sure. Never played one, but looks one way. I don’t know about soulknife

Posted (edited)

I agree with KingGoblin here guys. It is a 'talking replacement', that's exactly how I see it. Send to multiple at once, not receive. Just like a mouth. ;)

Jubal is correct there are multiple ways to get a send and receive sort of thing in 5e, but thri-kreen isn't one of them. The thing that makes thri-kreen's way different is that it hits multiple people at once, again like a mouth.

@KingGoblin Fine with that spell swap.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

@Cointhief I would assume that she is in regular Fleet uniform unless ordered not to be by Sartell or Celsior (Her tricorn hat is not really Fleet standard, but she loves the added spacefaring and swashbucklery flair it offers.)

It's something like 5:30am and I don't think I can amke a coherent post until I get some sleep. But can Minnifred have like dried anchovies in her pack as part of her rations? She's gonna help Henk with the drinks. :D

Between the instrumental insect and astronaut far from earth - along with general tone - I can't help but get massive farscape vibes on every post, though most characters deny direct comparison. Especially the episode where Scorpius walks round in a Hawaiian shirt and Pilot plays the drums.

It does feel that way. When creating Thom I was just blatantly stealing the Starman from David Bowie as an explanation as to where he might have ended up. Seemed like a good enough idea considering the kids from earth in the D&D cartoon ended up on Faerun in 2e or 3e (I don't recall which edition). So it seemed possible that more earthlings would make their way here, and why not the Starman.