You arrive at the Hwanggot Lantern Lodge in the morning. You are greeted by Venture-Captain Yi Da Som, a samsaran with perfect posture and a pleasant manner.
The Lantern Lodge is already bustling despite the early hour, Pathfinders exchange greetings as they make their way in and out. Several local vendors are parked just outside the door with wares pre-marked for their regulars, who snatch up their breakfast and make payments with practiced ease. In the midst of it all stands Venture-Captain Yi Da Som, smiling serenely.
“Good morning, Pathfinders. Thank you for being so punctual. Please, follow me and we’ll get your briefing started.” She heads into the lodge, politely greeting anyone on the way, and opens the doors to a private meeting room. A covered meal of dumplings and rolled eggs as well as a large pot of tea sits on the large table for guests to serve themselves. Already seated is a woman in flowing robes and an equally flowing waterfall mask that obscures her entire face.
“Hello, Pathfinders,” she says. “You may call me the Waterfall. Help yourself to some breakfast and introduce yourselves.”

****MAPS AND HANDOUTS****

Edited by Dax Thura (see edit history)

The first Pathfinder to step in is an elf with dark skin, white white dropping just past her shoulders, and an extremely confident bearing. She doesn't carry any immediately visible weapons, but appears to be followed by approximately 300lbs of assorted plat matter from the lodges gardens, and the approaching roadside, shaped like a particularly crude imitation of a deer, that fluctuates between shaping 4 and 6 legs from assorted branches as it walks in an irregular gait. Each of them sport a reddish sunburst, the one centered between the elf's collarbones, and the other on the plant-thing's forehead. She offers a polite bow of greeting to the Samsaran woman, "Good morning, Venture Captain, I am Naziya. I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of introducing myself to your lodge's grounds before reporting here. They really are rather talkative, for it to be so early as it is."

Naziya

Unnerving Mass of Foliage

Edited by radium elemental (see edit history)

An Aiuvarin woman enters the lodge, her thick, raven black hair mostly tied back with an orange ribbon, though a few unruly locks have escaped. She is heavily armed, her solid build encased in a set of half plate armor, beautifully etched with vines, leaves, and arcane symbols. At her side is a longsword with a worn hilt, along with various other edged weapons. She carries her helmet under one arm, a battered shield with an amateurishly painted Sarenite ankh strapped to the other arm, and a bulging pack across her back. She smells faintly of soap.

"Sepurnia Elena Madrona, at your service," she says with a deep bow, "it is a pleasure to meet you."

Sepurnia Elena Madrona

Name
Society
1d20+6 16

“You’ve been called in because we need assistance forging a potential alliance with a powerful entity. An ancient dragon by the name of Valashinaz dwells beneath much of Tian Xia. She’s known to be a collector of great knowledge and artifacts and has more recently become open to sharing said knowledge.
“I was able to contact Valashinaz’s assistant, a kobold called Purepurin, who has been arranging meetings between her mistress and interested parties. Venture-Captain Yi Da Som and I have secured a meeting for this afternoon, in about—” She glances at a water clock in the room. “—five hours.”

“The Decemvirate and I have other business to attend to prior to the meeting,” Da Som chimes in. “It would be remiss of us to attend such an important meeting without presenting a gift beforehand, but we are unable to arrive until the exact meeting time.” Da Som takes out a stack of exquisitely bound books, each bearing an embroidered symbol of the Pathfinder Society. She carefully wraps them in a patchwork silk cloth and places it on the table. “Pathfinders, please take this gift and present it to Valashinaz. Her assistant Purepurin will be waiting at the cave entrance to her vaults to introduce you to her mistress. Show them the respect and dignity of the Pathfinder Society so we can present our case for a partnership that will benefit all the people we serve. Do you have any questions?”

Finish introductions and ask your questions.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Sepurnia- 47/47 HP, 21 AC 1/3 AP; Fort +7 Refl +8 Will +8 Perc +8; Init (Perc) +8;

Sol- 16/16 HP, 17 AC 1/3 AP; Fort +5 Refl +9 Will +7 Perc +7; Init (Perc) +7 (Stealth) +7;

Lucky- 24/24 HP 17 AC 1/3 AP; Fort +5 Refl +7 Will +7 Perc +7; Init (Perc) +7;

Rowena- 16/16 HP 15 AC 1/3 AP; Fort +5 Refl +5 Will +6 Perc +6; Init (Perc) +4;

Naziya- 54/54 HP 20 AC 1/3 AP; Fort +10 Refl +8 Will +9 Perc +9: Init (Perc) +9

UMOF- -/- HP 20 AC -/- AP; Fort +11 Refl +8 Will +9 Perc +9;

A stocky, tan-skinned halfling clad in a slightly oversized white cotton hanbok arrives at the Lantern Lodge accompanied by an older Tian-Hwan gentleman and his little granddaughter. "Alright, Jin-ah, I can take it from here! Very-very-thank you, be good now, bye-bye-ssu!", he says quickly, ruffling the girl's hair before shaking the man's hand. Making sure he still has his backpack and lute on his person, Lucky darts toward the Samsaran Venture-Captain, who already seems to be leading his prospective teammates inside the lodge. Arriving in the nick of time, he bows before all present.

""Lucky" Lucky Waterfield, at your service. It is my very-very-pleasure to make everyone's acquaintance-ssu. Hope everyone's journey to Hwanggot was as pleasant as mine."

Lucky follows Venture-Captain Yi Da Som to meet the Waterfall, to whom he gives a similarly deep bow, and listens to the mission briefing with enthusiasm.

"If you need to negotiate an alliance then you've picked the right halfling for the job. I'd just recently returned from very important negotiations in faraway Arcadia, you see-ssu. I can only hope this dragon and her kobold assistant are as friendly as the other Tian-Hwan I met here; made friends with this family last night, super warm, super talkative, don't speak a lick of Taldane though but I guess "Lantern Lodge" is a universal word... ah, I'm rambling, very-very-sorry-ssu. What I meant to ask was, are there any known quirks about Valashinaz or Purepurin we should be familiar with before we meet them? Any special precautions or challenges we might face on the way to the vaults, or within?"

Right around the 'universal word' part, a plain-looking fellow slipped into the room. Short, with brown hair, and an awfully childish face, but average in every other aspect, he could have easily been mistaken for a human kid (an understandable, in fact expected mistake; good for his swindles, good for his ego, he took pride in actually being tall for a halfling). Timidly slipping by an unfamiliar animal (?) plant (?), he approached others at the briefing, sneakily so as not to disturb his colleagues' speech. He inspected his clothes, cheap adventurer's robes, old and quite used, but still considerably more comfortable than one could tell at a glance; checked that his shortsword was still securely hidden under his clothes, and that his coin purse was still on him; finally, he slid a lock of hair, which was stubbornly falling into his eyes, behind his ear, and, concluding he looked presentable, announced his presence after Lucky had finished.

"A dragon? Never seen one, hope she doesn't have a taste for people," he joked, but there could have been some truth to it. "I'm Solence Lenten, but y'all can call me Sol, everybody calls me so. Anyway, pleased to meet ya.

EDIT: forgot to link th sheet, so here it is

Edited by janko061 (see edit history)

Rowena Brevin

From the back an unassuming woman of average height, slender build, and with piercing orange eyes listens in to the mission briefing very intently, and chimes in at the end. "Rowena Brevin, here. Anything we should be on the lookout for while we head there? I mean, anything besides the usual brigands and wild animals?"

Edited by Blanket_Thunder (see edit history)
Name
Society
1d20+4 15

The mass of foliage rustles at the passing halfing, with its neck not only bending to look at him, but shifting its base several inches along the body.

Naziya nods politely to each of the new arrivals as she considers the task, before replying to the Venture-Captain "It seems a simple enough matter to deliver a gift in a proper manner..." She looks around at the other arrivals, "and I'm certain that with so many eager hands we can make sure it arrives safely. Is there anything particular about the gift that we should tell to Purepurin? And is there any particular etiquette that we should be aware of? Respect is universal, but I can't say the same of manners, after all."

Posted (edited)

“I know very little of Purepurin. Only that she is Valashinz's assistant. Valashinaz is known to prize knowledge.” Da Som places her hands on the silk bundle. “If we wish to learn the secrets she has kept, we must offer our own. We will provide her with copies of Pathfinder Chronicles related to treasures she is interested in, as well as the wayfinder of the open road, a unique wayfinder with a curious ability to find nearby portals."

Da Som slides a pristine hand-drawn map across the table. “The cave is about three hours from Haseong by cart. The road there is an easy one; we anticipate no issues as the horse you’ll be borrowing has made the journey before.”

Society (recall knowledge) 16

Valashinaz dwells in a massive underground cave system normally inhabited by creatures like rats and giant centipedes, but her kobold attendants keep her lair free of pests, including intrusive adventurers. The steward Purepurin curates the guest list and arranges tours and trades of goods or information.

Society (recall knowledge) 26

A friendly tribe of goblins lives near Valashinaz’s closest cave entrance. This tribe is known for both their culinary and alchemical mastery, having contributed to some of the traps within the vaults.

You make you final preparations and leave.

The bustle of cart vendors and morning greetings gives way to rolling hills and birdsong on the path out of Haseong. Farmers in the distance occasionally pause their work to give friendly waves. Cattle dot far off fields colored by flourishing crops. The cart lent by the Lantern Lodge, enchanted to deal with unpaved terrain, leisurely rolls off the road without issue, the horse at its head expertly leading its charges into rockier countryside. Time passes peacefully, swirling clouds blotting out the vibrant sun to gentle its gaze on the world below.

The three-hour journey to the cave is a pleasant one with little issue for you. Much of the journey is off-road, heading deeper into a quiet part of the countryside. There are few other travelers in this peaceful, isolated area, though the occasional animal might scamper past, and the rough dirt roads are unfriendly to most modes of transportation.

About two and a half hours into the journey, you come upon a cart that is stuck in a ditch on a very basic dirt road.

A cart tied to two unbothered goats lies toppled on its side, one back wheel firmly trapped in a divot in the dirt path. A cheerful working song mixes with Goblin swears as a flustered goblin tugs uselessly at one of the goats’ reins. There’s a small grilling table built into the cart, where two goblins roast brightly colored skewers despite the conundrum. A dangerously loose sign dangles off the back proclaiming “SPICY DEATH CHICKEN CHALLENGE” in multiple languages with prices for their wares.

Several other goblins have set up in the grass to pickle vegetables and sing a merry tune, surrounded by glass jars chock full of meat and pickles as well as ceramic jugs flowing with spices and sauces. Many of the ceramics look too finely crafted to be cookware, their elegant designs and patterns smeared in chili powder and garlic paste.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Sepurnia- 47/47 HP, 21 AC 1/3 AP; Fort +9 Refl +8 Will +8 Perc +8; Init (Perc) +8;

Sol- 16/16 HP, 17 AC 1/3 AP; Fort +5 Refl +9 Will +7 Perc +7; Init (Perc) +7 (Stealth) +7;

Edited by Dax Thura (see edit history)

Along the way, Sol was humming some melody he heard while joyfully skipping a little ahead of the rest of the crew. Sometimes he would stray off the path if something caught his eye, but he made sure not to get separated from the others. Just thinking about their assignment lifted his spirits, bringing forth the good mood he now radiated around: he would get to see a real dragon (like in some fairytale), his party seemed capable and made up of many interesting fellows, and the job was just to walk through some mountain trail to make a delivery; easy money, well paid too, or so he heard (given he was flat broke this skyrocketed his morale).

As they approached the goblins and their cart, Sol noticed them first. "Hey," he shouted, "are you OK? Need some help with that cart of yours?" Truth be told, he did think about trying to make some money off them, but he decided against it, not wanting his new friends to think badly of him. Might as well play it honest, for now.

Sheet

"Yes! Yes! Come lend a hand." A matronly goblin says in a tone that expects to be followed. "Those your friends back there? Tell them to help too. Hurry and be careful."

Picture revealed.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Sepurnia- 47/47 HP, 21 AC 1/3 AP; Fort +9 Refl +8 Will +8 Perc +8; Init (Perc) +8;

Sepurnia hops down off of the enchanted cart and surveys the scene. She sets down her pack and cracks her knuckles.

"Let's see if we can get your cart upright." She rolls her shoulders and prepares to try righting the toppled cart.

Sheet

Rowena Brevin

Rowena took the time to explain what little she knew of the dragons complex to her new allies, and sat mostly in silence the rest of the time.

Upon reaching the goblins she goes around to the side where many of them have gathered to work on their recipes. With a smile and a bow she simply says, “Exactly how spicy is this chicken? And where did you get such beautiful cookware?”

You can help by helping lift the cart with an Athletics 16 or something else if you can justify it.

The matron looks Rowena up and down. "Help us get righted and you might just find out."

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover: