Rand Stefanson-Nomad

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/aa/c0/4b/aac04ba1a5e5beca75302bd8dba1a768.jpg Name:

Rand Stefanson

Archetype: Nomad (Custom)
Description

Tries to hide his relative youth with hair and a beard. By accent most likely from mid U.S. Quick. Both on his feet and wit, if he has to choose to cut and flee or fight will always choose the former. Despite that physically seems at the peak of his abilities, considering the given situation. Possible some hand-to-hand combat training.

Anchor (PC):   Drive: Endure/Adapt/Overcome
Anchor (NPC):   Issues: While he came to terms with taking out "walkers", still hesitates when it comes to harming people.
Notes:   Dealt a bad hand

ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS
3 Strength 5 Agility 4 Wits 1 Empathy
2 Close Combat 3 Mobility 0 Scout 0 Leadership
2 Endure 0 Ranged Combat 0 Survival 0 Manipulation
2 Force 2 Stealth 0 Tech 1 Medicine
Talents
Talent Notes

Health (Stress: 0)
3. Unharmed
2. Bruised  
1. Battered  
0. Broken  
Conditions:
WEAPONS Damage Bonus Range

ARMOR Protection Penalty

GEAR (Encumbrance Slots: )
Gear Slots Bonus

Stored Gear Location Tiny Items

Background

In progress

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

Ok. I just started. Obviously, I chose Agility as the Key Attribute and Mobility as the main skill of the chosen Archetype. Nomad kinda sounded appropriate. Before I chose talents I wanted to ask if could I choose some others from SRD or just those that are in existing archetypes. For example, Flyweight seemed like something my character would head. Also about the gear, firearms don't seem like his thing so I wondered if could I take 6 things from other archetypes give for your approval and then roll?

@Essence OK, this is a basic outline of my Archetype, I have most of the rest already in my nogging but first, check it out that fits others. As mentioned he doesn't seem as firearm kind of guy but he is not really a pacifist either and life did not go easy on him either. Go over it and if you give it the green light I'll finish up the app pretty soon.

THE NOMAD

"14 Miles. That's how long I would run every day. Seven in the morning and seven at dusk. 4 hours of practice in between, 2 for football 2 for MMA. 6 Hours. How long would I work on the family cornfield after school? The only reason I ever had a semblance of social life was sports. Every muscle in my body was cramping and bruised only for those 2 hours on weekends when I could go with my teammates to the discount Pizza Hut we had in our 1200 population "town" and feel like a teenager...and see her. And I was one of the privileged ones, my MMA trainer was straight with me my weight class was so stacked in even bumpkin local divisions that I had no chance there, best I could get from it was some decent body and ability to defend myself. However, the crowd from the gym was way more relaxed than the guys from football, probably because all of our aggression was left on the mats. Football, now there was my ticket out of this s*ithole and everyone knows it. That's why my pops cut me some slack on Sundays after the game. There was a buzz on the local scene about me since I was 16, considering there had been almost 30 years since our high school even got to the States and almost 50 since anyone got a scholarship it was a big deal. Now my last year and people in expensive cars began to show up to our games. Another number started ticking in my head 8 more games, 7 more games, six more games...It never reached zero, I still ran 13 miles a day, sometimes more, I still fought, only without pads, and I still worked in between only not on the cornfield. It's amazing how fast people adapt. Well, I did leave my bumhole of the town after all, small victories."

KEY ATTRIBUTE: Agility
KEY SKILL: Mobility
TALENTS: Living Off The Land, Tough As Nails, Hard HitterYou get a +1 modification to Melee Combat if you sacrifice your fast action in the round

ISSUE

• While he came to terms with taking out "walkers", still hesitates when it comes to killing people. Fighting them, yeah, taking life...
  • Dealt a bad hand

DRIVE

• Endure/Adapt/Overcome

GEAR
Roll a D6 three times.

1. Basic medical gear
  2. Small Axe
  3. Survival equipment
  4. Motorbike
  5. Knife
  6. American football gear (Armor Value 4)

RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER CHARACTERS

• Looking for GF that left for College before the outbreak
  • Mistrusted by someone from the group (PC or NPC)
  • Saw someone take more than their fair share of loot but keep it a secret for now (PC or NPC)

On 5/3/2024 at 12:42 AM, Grudge said:

Ok. I just started. Obviously, I chose Agility as the Key Attribute and Mobility as the main skill of the chosen Archetype. Nomad kinda sounded appropriate. Before I chose talents I wanted to ask if could I choose some others from SRD or just those that are in existing archetypes. For example, Flyweight seemed like something my character would head. Also about the gear, firearms don't seem like his thing so I wondered if could I take 6 things from other archetypes give for your approval and then roll?

While some of the elements in the Year Zero SRD are worth looking for to get inspiration, the SRD covers a generalized engine which applies to a wide range of games with various different systems and styles of how to handle combat. For example, Mutant: Year Zero and Twilight: 2000 handle combat a bit differently from one another despite sharing the same engine. The Walking Dead is very different from those former games as it abstracts combats with a Duel and Brawl system as I outline in the Violence thread, consisting of just one opposed roll most of the time; there aren't any minutiae details on combat like fast actions, blocking, or an action economy. Talents like Flyweight or Hard Hitter wouldn't work in the Walking Dead system as intended or written, and would likely need to be modified further to make it work, which I'm happy to help with!

Regarding equipment, I'm fine with the current list as it is now since you're essentially just taking bits and pieces from other Archetypes' gear list. Overall I'm fine with it as long as it conforms to a generalized theme of your Archetype. Speaking of, I like your excerpt on the Nomad... but, truth be told, all that it really told me about the narrator is that they're an athlete hoping to escape with football as their ticket out of their hometown. I think everything gets explained a bit more in an indirect manner in the last few sentences of the monologue, but it's pretty vague - which I appreciate and the subtlety if that's what you were going for!

I know you said you aren't done, but I did notice some things already mechanically and for your issues. Your Empathy is 1, and no stat should be below 2 at character creation or above 4 EXCEPT for your Key Attribute, which can be 5. Dealt a bad hand... doesn't really tell me much in regards to how it can be an Issue that affects other people in your group or would cause complications or gives me good hooks in game to present mechanical challenges, unlike your first one - since there's gonna be plenty of times where killing living people will probably be in your best interests. Bad hand because he had a pretty crappy life before the outbreak and that affects his behaviours or mannerisms? Just want a bit more explanation on how that applies to Rand in particular.

I'll likely have more questions once the backstory and rest of the mechanics are fleshed out, but so far decent start!

Edited by Essence (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Essence said:

While some of the elements in the Year Zero SRD are worth looking for to get inspiration, the SRD covers a generalized engine which applies to a wide range of games with various different systems and styles of how to handle combat. For example, Mutant: Year Zero and Twilight: 2000 handle combat a bit differently from one another despite sharing the same engine. The Walking Dead is very different from those former games as it abstracts combats with a Duel and Brawl system as I outline in the Violence thread, consisting of just one opposed roll most of the time; there aren't any minutiae details on combat like fast actions, blocking, or an action economy. Talents like Flyweight or Hard Hitter wouldn't work in the Walking Dead system as intended or written, and would likely need to be modified further to make it work, which I'm happy to help with!

Regarding equipment, I'm fine with the current list as it is now since you're essentially just taking bits and pieces from other Archetypes' gear list. Overall I'm fine with it as long as it conforms to a generalized theme of your Archetype. Speaking of, I like your excerpt on the Nomad... but, truth be told, all that it really told me about the narrator is that they're an athlete hoping to escape with football as their ticket out of their hometown. I think everything gets explained a bit more in an indirect manner in the last few sentences of the monologue, but it's pretty vague - which I appreciate and the subtlety if that's what you were going for!

I know you said you aren't done, but I did notice some things already mechanically and for your issues. Your Empathy is 1, and no stat should be below 2 at character creation or above 4 EXCEPT for your Key Attribute, which can be 5. Dealt a bad hand... doesn't really tell me much in regards to how it can be an Issue that affects other people in your group or would cause complications or gives me good hooks in game to present mechanical challenges, unlike your first one - since there's gonna be plenty of times where killing living people will probably be in your best interests. Bad hand because he had a pretty crappy life before the outbreak and that affects his behaviours or mannerisms? Just want a bit more explanation on how that applies to Rand in particular.

I'll likely have more questions once the backstory and rest of the mechanics are fleshed out, but so far decent start!

The blurb at the beginning is a bit vague since I do tend to write long backgrounds and I struggle to push it into several short sentences, it's a personal failing. I know this is a separate book and SRD is just a basis but repeating my impeccable "pick and choose" technique again as I did with the equipment would be lazy so I chose one talent out of three from the SRD and others copied from other archetypes. if you think it doesn't fit I'll remove it. As for my failings at math I suck at it I was too concentrated to have enough points in total so it slipped me by, I'll fix it. I'll see to finish everything soon.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Grudge said:

so I chose one talent out of three from the SRD and others copied from other archetypes. if you think it doesn't fit I'll remove it.

Not that it doesn't fit, but that it mechanically will not see any use in this game because there's no 'action economy' per se when it comes to violence and combat. Actions like blocking or dodging aren't mechanically outlined, being assumed as actions you would have already taken when you make your Close Combat or Ranged Combat rolls. Human on human violence tends to be an opposed roll with damage correlating to base damage from weapon + extra successes over their opponent (- number of successes the opponent makes on their armor roll). For walkers, even if you fail the roll there's still a good chance you'll kill the walker anyways, but you'll just suffer a complication ranging from just taking damage, to even worse fates like getting bitten or just instantly dying.

Dice bonuses for TWD Talents, when corresponding to skills, are always situational. Certain conditions have to be met in order for you to receive that bonus. I'm more than happy to help out with what kind of Talent you'd like for your character, just shoot me what ideas you have!

3 minutes ago, Essence said:

Not that it doesn't fit, but that it mechanically will not see any use in this game because there's no 'action economy' per se when it comes to violence and combat. Actions like blocking or dodging aren't mechanically outlined, being assumed as actions you would have already taken when you make your Close Combat or Ranged Combat rolls. Human on human violence tends to be an opposed roll with damage correlating to base damage from weapon + extra successes over their opponent (- number of successes the opponent makes on their armor roll). For walkers, even if you fail the roll there's still a good chance you'll kill the walker anyways, but you'll just suffer a complication ranging from just taking damage, to even worse fates like getting bitten or just instantly dying.

Dice bonuses for TWD Talents, when corresponding to skills, are always situational. Certain conditions have to be met in order for you to receive that bonus. I'm more than happy to help out with what kind of Talent you'd like for your character, just shoot me what ideas you have!

👍 I'll check other archetypes then and see which one would fit, I know I already saw few just have to go over archetypes again.

ร—
ร—