What Does the Future Hold?

Sohala

As the brightness faded and the world came into focus once more, the group found themselves together again. Each had a look of change to them. The lingering effects of the trials settling into their subconscious... the other life leaving an impression on their own?

Rick was the first to break the silence, his body betraying him as he leaned heavily on a spear and hacked. He has been standing straight as if cured of his eternal illness. Summer hurried to his side, retrieving a pouch from her belt and pulling a wad of some herb from it. She tentatively offered it to him, "Here, suck on this. It should help." Wheezing, he took it without hesitation, shoving it into his mouth. A few softer coughs came after, but he seemed to relax, "...Thanks..."

The room gives off a clear impression of being old, the sense it has been there for ages is hard to ignore. Its appearance is that of a spotless crypt for someone of great importance. The floor is made of tightly packed tiles, with no seeming pattern to their layout, other than the traffic wear from one end to another. The walls are seamless and unmarred stone, with similar pillars supporting the ceiling.

Metal-bound chests of varying shapes and designs lined the walls, stacked as best as they could be; each was covered with a different insignia.

image.png.fe40e61895d8dafa8c2ee6aa6d2bc172.png

Other than the exits at either end, there was a side passage in the middle.

If explored

image.png.0d335515c58fa2941e8a3a81a683d162.pngThe side passage led to an elaborate, solitary tomb just before it dead-ended.

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

For a few moments Davon seemed lost in introspection, but Rick's coughing seemed to break him from his mental musings. "You alright Rick?" They hadn't always seen eye to eye but they were in this ordeal together. His concern eased as Summer seemed to ease the coughing. His golden eyes scanned the room, settling on the chests lining the walls "Odds that this is part of the tests?" Dragon's had hoards after all didn't they? Noting the insignias he moved closer to examine the symbols to see if he could determine any meaning from them.

Mechanics

Spot

Meldshaping

Essentia: 0/3

Invested:

Healing Soul: 1

Sapphire Smite: 1

Incarnate Weapon: 1

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2708640][B][SIZE=+1]Davon Taylor[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male LG Human Soulborn, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 36/36, [B]Speed[/B] 30 (20) [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 11, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 2, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3 [B]+1 Lawful Incarnate Longsword [/B] 5 (1d8+2, ) [B] Breastplate[/B] (+5 Armor, +1 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14 [B]Condition[/B] None Immune to Fear
Davon Taylor
Male LG Human Soulborn, Level 3, Init 1, HP 36/36, Speed 30 (20)
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 3
+1 Lawful Incarnate Longsword 5 (1d8+2, )
Breastplate (+5 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14
Condition None
Immune to Fear

Name
Spot
1d20+6 5

Posted (edited)

"Was too good to be true..." Rick bitterly wheezed out. He then nodded to Davon, "I'll survive, just had to remember how to breathe."

Shane, eyed their surroundings, "This doesn't look anything like what I went through..." Summer and Rick made sounds of agreement.

During Davon's approach, he unconsciously gravitated towards one in particular...

OOC

Each person should be drawn to a different one, they are intended to be holding the item.

Touching the insignia will project an image of a person that looks like your character, but is clearly not you. Not now or in the future.

While not required, the insignia/image can invoke memories from the other life and/or from your time on earth. If Earth is chosen, it should in some way tie to your family heritage/history.

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

Samuel Martin

aPkRud1.jpg.34654e5c8d59b8240cde4128200a7bf1.jpgSamuel Martin Factotum 3, HP: 27/27   Saves: Fort 2, Ref 5, Will 3 AC: 14, 12(touch), 12(flat-footed) Speed: 30
Spot: +7, Listen +2, Search +8, Hide: +8, Move Silently +8

Samuel had felt a sense of loss, as his trial had led to loss of people he had put his trust in. Although the coughing had broke him of his trance, he was still at a loss for words. Did any of these things really happen, or was it simply an illusion or spiritual journey that was simply meant to test his mettle.

As he then looked at the others, his grim expression changed and simply sighed. "Definitely not like anything I have experienced, yet it held a little familiarity, not a vault, but still a crypt that holds the same features in a way."

"I will never know for sure if this test was all a dream, or we were whisked away to another reality and experienced these first hand." he adds, "I suspect it was a test of the mind."

"I was at a lake, surrounded by a thick forest, for... it." Summer said with a chipper tone. "This cult was tainting the waters... driving the ele-men-tals..." She trailed off, her face turning to deep thought, and then she nodded to herself, "Mhm, elementals. Driving them into a frenzy. We killed... them." Some parts of the memories appeared to weigh on her as she seemed to get lost in thought when she looked down at her hand. It opened and then flexed a couple of times.

Rick was brief in his retelling, saving his breath, "Seaside tower, rogue mage, Council's orders."

Seeing it was probably his turn, Shane spoke up next, "I found myself in a city, I think it was called Bridgeguard, and then one of those farm-hostels. Investigated a few unexplained deaths, bumped into a criminal ring, and eventually broke up their smuggling."

"I was dealing with . . . lizardfolk attacking a small settlement. My men and I were victorious though we lost some soldiers." His voice was somewhat distracted as he reached out to the insignia on one of the chests. As he examined it he felt the crushing weight of duty, a sword rising and falling against one threat or danger after another. As he touched the insignia an image of a hard faced man was projected. His hair was cut shorter than Davon's and his left cheek sported a wicked scar, but the golden eyes were undoubtedly the same. Still, the expression, the aggressive stance, this man wasn't Davon and he shuddered to think the life such a man could have lived.

Mechanics

Meldshaping

Essentia: 0/3

Invested:

Healing Soul: 1

Sapphire Smite: 1

Incarnate Weapon: 1

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2708640][B][SIZE=+1]Davon Taylor[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male LG Human Soulborn, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 36/36, [B]Speed[/B] 30 (20) [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 11, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 2, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3 [B]+1 Lawful Incarnate Longsword [/B] 5 (1d8+2, ) [B] Breastplate[/B] (+5 Armor, +1 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14 [B]Condition[/B] None Immune to Fear
Davon Taylor
Male LG Human Soulborn, Level 3, Init 1, HP 36/36, Speed 30 (20)
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 3
+1 Lawful Incarnate Longsword 5 (1d8+2, )
Breastplate (+5 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14
Condition None
Immune to Fear

Shane was the first of the trio to notice the image and the similarities. Not sure what to make of it, he nudged Summer, snapping her out of her contemplations. With his hand, he pointed it out to her, Rick, and Samuel (if need be). She gasped, "What is that? How did you do it?" Her surprise and curiosity spurred her into a purposeful stride up to Davon's side.

Shane and Rick followed a bit more tentatively but seemed to get distracted by the multitude of chests. Their eyes scanned them, their feet following.

Summer looked around Davon's shoulder, "He looks a lot like you... Do you know who he is?"

When appropriate in the conversation:
Having wandered a fair distance each, Shane, and then Rick, approached seemingly random boxes. As Davon had done, they touched the insignias.

Rick's was hail and hearty, dressed in a heavy robe, standing straight backed. Its expression was one of focus, with eagle-sharp eyes.

Shane's looked friendly enough, a smile touching even their eyes. It was dressed in a light mail and supple leather, with both a bow and sword poking over their shoulder.