Petunia Flowerbud, Female Fairy Bard

QuirkyJoe

Petunia (courtesy of ArtBreeder)Petunia (courtesy of ArtBreeder)Petunia (courtesy of ArtBreeder)

Name: Petunia Flowerbud
Character Concept: A happy-go-lucky, always-cheerful courtier from the Feywild. Loud and proud and brassy like a horn section.
Class, Race, Background: Bard, Fairy (MPMM), Courtier (SCAG).

Description: Petunia is a bold woman with multi-colored skin, ever-changing hair and has wings like a monarch butterfly's if a monarch wasn't content with only having orange, black and white on their wings. They are vibrant, joyous, nearly impossible to bring down. They are powerful, determined, focused and always ready to put her best foot forward. She enjoys who she is and who she spends time with, and recognizes the balance between too little and too much. Not one to back away from sharing an opinion, but that opinion is always well-stated.

Origin: Petunia is from the Feywild, the Plane of Faerie, or -- to state it succinctly -- Faerie. Her early life was spent on endless days in Queen Titania's Summer Court as an attendant, but she hung on the words of the most eloquent speakers, yearned to sing in a similar fashion to the most elegant chanters and, after dipping her feet in a calm, cool pool one afternoon, suddenly found herself in Faerûn. 

Start of Darkness: Being in Faerûn absolutely terrifies Petunia. For starters, the sun sets -- it sets! Those who live in Faerûn freely tell one another their names. They dance with each other, stray from paths, wear cheap clothing and heartily consume all manner of food and drink with no fear of ill recourse. How was she to know that a quick rinse would effectively bounce her out of her home plane? Yes, she'd heard stories, but that always happens to others, not fey you actually know. They're stories elder fey tell younger fey to keep them in line, make sure they keep their wings clean, that sort of thing.

She needs to find a way back. She can't tell anyone that, but she's actively looking for a way to get back home. She can't rest until she's back home, and she can't tell anyone that she's stressed to the nines.

Deepest, Darkest Desire: Who doesn't want to be Queen Titania? What self-respecting fey wants to be an attendant or fey-in-waiting their entire life? It's not as though Petunia actively wants something horrible to happen to Queen Titania, but... if something were to happen to her, or if Titania fell out of favor, or perhaps that glimmer of light that feyfolk thought rested solely upon Titania happened to rest on Petunia... well, she wouldn't exactly try to stop it. Faerûn wasn't the domain she wanted to make a name for herself in. Petunia wanted the full attention of the Summer Court.... wanted the power and privilege of ruling the Seelie Court all to herself.

One day...

Duchess' Designs: Yes, one may know a kenku, an aarakocra, a tabaxi, or a triton, for -- although they may seem rare or hidden in the eyes of most people of the land, fey -- particularly fairies -- are a legend, a tale of old, a morality verse to be sung late into the evening when even the jester or juggler or skald are deep in their cups in the court. There's only one fairy in Daggerford, and being the lone fairy with as telling a tale as Petunia's nets not only the attention of the most renowned individuals in the land, but their lavishings as well. True, it's not the Summer Court, but it feels one step closer, and it's not. as though the Duchess has heard the song of the Green Folk before, nor their stories, nor their tricks upon less suspecting attendees. Petunia is unique, she stands out, she instills a sense of curiosity in those who hear of her and a strong gesture of fealty from emissaries and visiting nobles within the Duchess' estate.

Deity: Queen Titania is the only one Petunia reveres. The rabble of Faerûn are divided, their attention giving to numerous names and supposed entities, but only Queen Titania and Queen of Air and Darkness (whose name rarely, if ever, crosses Petunia's lips) wield any power worth possessing.

Music: Petunia's a fairly upbeat character, so I'm hearing an urban / funk / soul / dancehall / R&B-stylized soundtrack for her. Yes, yes, that may not happen here so much, I realize, but I'm certain that at least one Fey Folk would put the "wild" in "Feywild". Potential musical themes include:

Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire

Aretha Franklin - Respect

Beyoncé - Run the World (Girls)

Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman

Destiny's Child - Independent Women, Pt. 1

Lady Gaga - Born This Way

She sounds loud and proud. 🙂

Posting Rate: I would be happy with 1+ times per week. Not a problem.

I run a lot of games and play in a lot of games, and they all have different rates -- would just be happy to participate in your game.

First, a compliment on the music, because it is the most original music of all the applicants. And I didn't have to click on a single one to be able to know the song by heart, which is always a boon! Definitely sells the character that way.

We'll go at this piece by piece. What type of Bard would Petunia end up being?

How does her appearance change? A mood thing, an environmental thing? All three pictures are lovely, how'd you accomplish three so close apart yet so distinctly different? The one on the far right reminds me of my high school girlfriend, albeit much, much less gothic. I promise this would have no bearing on how I feel about her.

So she ended up in Faerun, how? What was she doing that she accidentally ended up in a portal that then closed? That's a very Planescape origin, and I am a fan of Planescape, so that works. Has she looked for fey? Why hasn't she found any? Why did she gravitate towards a settlement rather than nature? As an attendant in Titania's court, what did she do? How dedicated to the Seelie Court was she?

Some starting questions, not that we have much time. But I liked what I saw!