Chapter 2

Butchern

"Oh, poppycock," Malcolm says irritably, unwilling to believe that something loathsome and inexplicable just happened to him. Reflexively, he shifts into his accustomed 'debunker' mode. "The flow of blood started out slow, that is all - only penetrating the outermost layer of my skin once I had already withdrawn my hand. That is why none of it stained the stone's surface. Though the circumstances we investigate are strange, not everything is a mystery. Come, let us examine the house."

He heads in the direction of the building.

Edited by Sir Lazeabout (see edit history)

If there was any further secret to the stone, it did not give those secrets up easily. The blood that was on the stone, if there was indeed any blood on the stone at all, was gone entirely. Nothing else about the stone had changed.

Coupard was also correct in his estimation that there was nothing of interest in the house or barn, at least nothing that was easily visible from the front window or back door of the house or a quick look around the inside of the barn. The house looked well-kept though everything inside looked tired if not shabby. The house looked lived-in; there were dishes in the sink and the porch was swept. Some old tools sat rusting in the barn. They say nothing that immediately connected the house to the stone or the mystery at hand.

Coupard returns from his window gazing, disappointed but hardly surprised.

The house, completely mundane in trappings and furnishings all, but then again who leaves an occult altar out for any curious passerby to see? I think we ought to be going unless there is more you wish to accomplish here. We can briefly catch up with the others at the inn, maybe drop off a sketch of the writing and depictions on the stone, and then return to observe what is going on in the swamp at night. Now, for our nocturnal, we will need warm clothing, map and compass, a light source, and good boots if you happen to have them. Wet socks are positively lethal in the field. And that delightful peashooter of Maria's, that ought to come with us too. Thoughts, Malcolm? If you wish a more... disruptive ... incursion into the house, merely say so.

The investigators climbed into their car and began the long drive out of the swamp. They got turned around several times on their way back, so that it was getting very dark while they were still on the unpaved swamp road.

Slowly, after the better part of a frustrated hour, the sights became more familiar again, and they recognized that they were on the right path. If they stayed straight on this road, they would exit the trees and be within sight of the scenic overlook and the main road. So, on they drove. The trees sat close to the road on the last leg of the journey, and all around them was pitch black.

CRACK!

It was the sound of a gun! The passenger side window shattered and threw glass all over the investigators.

Coupard jolted in the driver's seat and struggled to keep the steering wheel under control as he was showered with the remnants of the side window. He felt the shards of glass largely bounce off his coat, but other splinters he feared had found flesh, not fabric. A concern for later perhaps. The headlights danced across the road and the adjoining trees, and Coupard struggled to give the car throttle while staying on the winding road.... Coupard considered himself a fine driver, but the glass stung, the events of the past few days weighed on him, and the fickleness of fate always had its say.

As Coupard wrestled with the steering wheel of the car, the car slid a few feet off the side of the gravel road and came to a sudden stop. The car sat still, leaning steeply toward the driver's side. When Coupard pressed on the gas peddle, the rear tires spun, and he could see water behind thrown up behind them. The car rocked forward under the motion of the tires but they didn't move. They were stuck. The car and the investigators were just a bit off the road and were stuck in some standing water. A good solid push would probably be enough to get them out.

Just then Malcolm caught sight of some movement in the trees on the other side of the road twenty yards behind them. Someone or something was moving through the darkness, coming toward them.

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

Never mind shooting at shadows, just get behind the car and give it a good shove. We can gun it out of here if we get just a little traction!

As he says this, Coupard ducks low in the driver's seat, hopefully reducing his exposure to gunfire.

Coupard heard the second crack of the gun and saw Malcolm briefly exclaim in pain. The magician was behind the car, heaving with all his might, and Coupard carefully pressed down on the throttle to ease the car forward once he felt the car ease forward. The tires spun and then found purchase. Slowly, the revolutions of the engine eased and the car was moving again. Get in! Quick! he shouted to Malcolm, pulling in the wounded magician - You hurt bad? he asks as they begin to drive away. Livingston might be able to patch you up if need be, or we could make the run to a hospital in the city. All up to you, but I won't have you dying on me, confound it.

As Coupard tries to wind the car down the twisting swamp road - he had no choice but leave the headlights on, giving away his position but granting some sliver of hope of finding their way out in the darkness - he mused on their predicament.

We could go to the local Sheriff and report the shooting to him. Gunshots are likely to be taken more seriously than some singing in the darkness. Of course, who knows if he was on the take of the assailant and the other ne'er-do-wells? The local Pastor seemed like good people, but I am not sure if we would like to bring him into this mess. And staying at the hotel, likely with the knowledge of our would-be murderer, also appears to be considerably illadvised. Thoughts? I aim to press this through to the end, but being bushwhacked by fanatics hardly would seem to do us or anyone else any good.

"I am quite attached to my life as well, believe me," Malcolm says weakly, pressing against the wound to try to limit the flow of blood. "But I'm reluctant to run back to the city. Let Livingstone take a look at my injuries. As for our next move, holing up at the hotel for the night seems our best bet. After that, I am unsure... I still think that the swamp is our only true lead, but the swamp-dwellers have proven that they can spot us before we can spot them. We may need the aid of a local. Maybe young Emma can be enlisted to assist us further..."

The investigators returned to the inn to find the ladies in the lobby sipping tea and looking at maps of the area. They rushed Malcolm upstairs to their room as quietly as they could, and Dr. Livingston did her best with the gunshot wound under the current, less-than-ideal conditions. The bullet went through his leg without hitting anything serious, so she was able pack the wound and bind it tightly enough to get the bleeding to stop. He would live, probably without infection and probably without any permanent injury.

Malcolm and Coupard filled the ladies in on all that happened, and while Malcolm rested, they planned their next move.