Act 1, Part 1: The Swordlord's Feast

Kavonde

1079115390_AntoniaTKN.png.82fdea90cef4be4512af0c85ea13c109.pngAntonia Rullianus

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 | health-normal.svg HP: 19/19 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +8 | Will: +5 | Hero: 1/1 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Antonia regarded the halfling with a plump-lipped smile and slow blinking eyes. "Ah, my dear, 'Cool' does not even begin to describe it. Although, you can do away with the courtly titles. They are nice, do not get me wrong, but I feel they are quite unnecessary until I am spending the rest of my days with my shapely bottom planted on a throne." She chuckled again, a melodic and possibly practiced thing. She strode closer to the group, sure to place each foot almost directly in front of the other so that her hips swayed with each step. The clacking of her narrow boot heels against the stone path was audible and all part of the show. Her stride was completed once she felt apart of the group and she turned to face them all. It, too, seemed overly practiced but somehow natural given her appearance. She stood straight with her hands behind her back in a casual-but-refined stance, causing the hilt of her rapier to point forward accusingly.

The gritty sound of Lerris' voice speaking about her caused her dark eyebrows to raise. "Above a judge? Not at all, darling. To think such would be a blasphemous insult to the honored Judge Zakon. Moreover, I believe the only one 'above' us all, is you, dear. I mean that in the literal sense, of course." Antonia's silvery gaze slowly assessed Lerris from top to bottom, which took a moment to complete given his size. "Look at you. All the rugged features of those adventuring heroes you read about in those silly books of fiction. I can not quite decide whether to request an autograph or offer a silver as charity. Oh, don't take it that way, darling. I meant it as a compliment. It is a good look for you." Her lips never lost that charming-cum-patronizing smile. That is, until he mentioned an expedition. At that very moment, the smile faded and her sharp jawline tensed. "Expedition into the Stolen Lands...Yes, of course." She swallowed, a slightly noticeable thing considering she held her head high and her nose pointed upwards. A second later, the smile returned and her expression loosened. "I am afraid I will have to agree with the Judge. I have no need for a porter, but I'm sure we can work something else out." Antonia followed that statement up with a suggestive wink before letting out another chuckle. This one seemed even more practiced and forced than the last.

"Well then, with manners on my mind I suppose I should also offer my name." She brought her hands from behind her back and gave a regal bow to the gathered group. The veil of dark hair brushed lightly over her cheeks. "Antonia Rullianus, aspiring Sword Scion of Brevoy and expert fencer." Antonia straightened her posture and took up her previous stance. "I am almost jealous of all of you as you will get to watch as I transform from 'Impressive' to 'Legendary'."  That sly grin returned to her face and started to look like an expression that would be common for her.

Harrim respectfully extends a hand towards Shardik, letting the bear get a sniff of his hand before he goes for an ear-scritch mirroring Thomas'. The dwarf smiles as he makes contact, though it's tinged with sadness. He doesn't interject in the discussion Thomas and Verne are having; he just focuses on the petting.

The barbarian woman gives a boisterous laugh to Antonia's comments. "I like this one!" she declares. "She looks dainty, but she's got the right attitude!" She extends a hand towards her. "I'm Amiri. And if you're gonna be Legendary, I'm gonna be Iconic!"

Lerris Ninthborne

HP: 20/20 | AC: 17 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3 |Will: +7  | Hero 1/1 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

1179640705_LerrisNinthborneUppershot.jpg.16e458efcc2a966a2cec398bd49030d5.jpg"Funny name that. Thomas of Nowhere. I'd ask where this Nowhere is, but I think it's a bit more than obvious." Lerris chuckled. Though maybe he wasn't one to talk about strange names. Absentmindedly the thought he scratched at his neck, just beneath the tall collar.

"And step in I would. Just to keep things civil mind you. But while I doubt we'd be thrown out altogether, I'm sure the guards would have a thing or two to say about a brawl." Lerris said in response to Thomas' assertion that he'd help if Amiri really did follow through on the threat. He also returned the same smirk back to Thomas, understanding at least vaguely what he was trying to say about the judge. It was as Lerris said, he didn't like many lawmen. And this one in particular was more bitter than Thomas could imagine.

"So maybe let's keep all that back for now. At least until we're let in proper. That way we'll have more people to impress, eh?" Lerris said, nodding towards the hall. He wasn't really keen on a fight, but better to do it in front of the employer rather than a guard. That way they at least could find out they were paying for decent service. But even as he spoke and gestured his attention drifted elsewhere, stopping along all the people here and gauging them. Forming an impression from each as he tried to place them.

Strange. That was the resounding impression that struck out to Lerris above all else. Each and every single one of them was strange. He was sure in their eyes he wasn't exactly normal as well, but still. The judge with his young assistant, one with black eyes and whose every movement rattled with chains. Thomas whose accent he couldn't quite place, certainly not being of Brevoy or River Kingdoms origin. The young man who had made a bear into a pet, though Lerris felt that assumption might have been just a little bit off. And of course Antonia, she had all the bearings of a noblewoman but had regarded him decently... and in his limited experience with the upper class Lerris had never once been regarded decently. Of course those old interactions had typically come at the tip of a blade, but the idea was the same.

All of these details worked hard at the back of Lerris' mind, tripping that invisible alarm again and again. An alarm that screamed "Danger! Sheath your sword and leave these ones alone!" But this lot were friendly, and gods knew it had been a while since he had met someone friendly. And he supposed that in the coming days, one should strive to have dangerous friends rather than none at all. Perhaps even prefer them. All that left was another matter, a matter he was not well accustomed in thinking about. Where did these people's interest lie? In simply stealing a bit of land for themselves? Or making sure the lives of the people on those lands would be better? It was a thought that bothered Lerris, and one he chose to ignore for now.

"The lot of you are a bit more direct than I'm used to, especially you my la-" Lerris stopped himself before fully committing to the mistake, remembering Antonia's request to do away with courtly titles. When someone asked you to call them one way, you did. It was simply polite. "Especially from a noble, Antonia. More used to my betters hiding their silver when I show my mug."

"Not that I mind... mind you. Good to meet welcoming folk set on their way to the Stolen Lands. Was worried the only company I'd have on the way there would be schemers, cutthroats, and the mad." Lerris almost added a "like me" at the end, but decided against it. Especially after it seemed he had done the impossible task of making a good impression on Antonia and Thomas. Those two were flatterers for sure, Antonia and Thomas. People didn't often leverage compliments to Lerris and certainly not in quick succession. Maybe they were just friendly, Lerris hoped that was the reason. But truth was they were likely trying to win as many people over on their side before the expedition started. Not that he'd blame them of course, not that he even minded in the first place. It was certainly a more kind way of winning people's trust than he was used to. And despite better intentions his own ego wasn't so little that he couldn't appreciate a flattering word or two, especially from Antonia. 

"Course the majority of that's to be seen. Either way, I'm eager to see this legend of yours Antonia. Gods know these lands need one, and fast. Maybe even some of that impressiveness will rub off on someone like me, eh?" Lerris chuckled, laughing at mere notion of someone like him even being considered adjacent to legendary or impressive. But he'd do his part nonetheless, however small that was. "And I'm just as eager to carry those bags of yours, Thomas. Reckon I need to keep up the strength in the few fingers I have left after all."

spacer.pngVerne Greencloak | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15  Fort: +3  Ref: +4  Will: +9 | Hero Points: 1/1

Verne looks curiously at the eyes that seem to peer at him for a moment, and whispers a word of greeting in Sylvan.  He continues watching quietly as people interact with his furry friend, and listens to the banter between them, not understanding all of it.  He says quietly, "If there's going to be a fight for dominance, it does make sense to do it before we eat, so we know who gets to sit where and who eats first. I've never actually seen anyone do that here, I thought you southern folk just didn't do that."  Verne tries to gauge who would actually win, narrowing it down to a scant handful of contenders, none of whom have singled him out as an enemy, so he relaxes a little - whoever wins the Alpha position will probably not come after him.

Shardik enjoys the attention, happy for the extra hand to scratch his ears, and a fresh set of pockets to check for treats.

Then Verne speaks up again. "Is it important to become a legend or an icon?  I don't fully understand what those actually are, but aren't they kind of... irrelevant?  To your actual life? What's the point?  Isn't comfort and community enough?"

image.png.40d02d917774d342399259154297e983.png

"...Judge Malheur," Zakon could not resist quietly correcting Antonia with his surname. He spoke loudly enough to be overheard, if anyone was paying attention to him, but not so loudly to interrupt her. He did not appear slighted, although he always looked a little displeased. Rather, he seemed compelled to set the record straight and insist on things, even trivial things like addressing someone by their title, be done properly.

As he continued listening to the others and their introductions, Zakon found an appropriate moment to interject with his own. "The Honorable Zakon Malheur, at your service," he bowed, formally. "As some of you correctly surmised, I have served as a circuit judge, and more, from Cheliax to Brevoy... but I am not here, tonight, in any official capacity. Like yourselves, I am here to answer Lady Aldori's call and determine if this is a contract in need of my unique set of skills. If the Lady wishes to bring law and order to a lawless land or bring a criminal to justice, I believe we can find a mutually beneficial arrangement."

Zakon surveyed the others gathered near the entrance. "Perhaps, we shall each come to a mutually beneficial arrangement." His gaze lingered on Lerris a moment, considering the man quite carefully, "... while I cannot offer my strength, to carry your bags, I can offer my intellect and legal acumen, to navigate the terms and conditions of any contractual agreements that Lady Aldori may be drafting." 

Edited by BlackHat (see edit history)

uc?export=download&id=1dRpitT3CcasYF2DNUtVf9NtjWbs0fRXE

Millanius the Arcane - Human Thaumaturge 1

HP: 17/17 | AC: 18 | Perception: +5

Fort: +6 | Ref: +6 | Will: +5  | Conditions: None

ResourcesCharacter:
-Hero Points: 1/3
-Focus Points: 0/0

Consumables:
-

Items:
-
| Spells/ScrollsScrolls:
-

Cantrips: 
-

Level 1:
-
| Skills*Acrobatics: +6
*Arcana: +3
Athletics: +1
Crafting: +0
*Deception: +8
*Diplomacy: +8
*Esoteric Lore: +7
Intimidate: +5
Medicine: +0
*Nature: +3
*Occultism: +3
*Performance: +7
*Politics Lore: +3
*Religion: +3
Society: +0
*Stealth: +6
Survival: +0
*Thievery: +6

*Trained

A rather nondescript coach pulls up to the front of the manor, dark black, slightly battered and travelworn. It simply screams 'official business', likely the conveyance of some middling bureaucrat. But the man who steps out is anything but. His garish purple cloak and fancy cane look more like some dandy's, though the grey in his hair makes him a bit old for that.

He steps down and dust himself off, his rumpled clothes looking like he slept in them, and an old travel bag comes flying out of the coach after him. A small monkey perches on his shoulder, and he turns to mutter something to it with a wry expression. He picks up the travel bag and hoists it over a shoulder, then walks gracefully with his cane tapping lightly on the cobblestone. A beheweled scepter is tucked into his belt, though the gold leaf on it seems to be wearing thin in places.

He approaches the soldier at the door and sweeps an elegant bow, handling his cloak smoothly despite its wrinkled state. "Millanius the Arcane, wizard extraordinaire! I'm here to save the kingdom!" He says with a grin in a strong voice, one that would project well from a stage.

OOC/Actions

Other:

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction: Recognize Spell

Free: 

Familiar/Other Modifiers

Stitches the Monkey | 5/5HP | AC18

Per: +5/Fort: +6/Ref: +6/Will: +5

-Low-light Vision

-Manual Dexterity

-Valet

-25' Land Speed

Effects:

-15' Aura, Circ bonus to Dip/Int/Dec & +1 v. Fear

-Success v Mental is crit success

-+2 Damage from empowerment

-Activate any Scroll

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Studded Leather Armor

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Thieves' Tools

Weapons

-Sword Cane

-Dagger

-5x Darts

-Scepter (Regalia)

Containers

Masterwork Backpack

-Bedroll

-Lantern, hooded

-Rations (1 week)

-Rope (50')

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Flint and Steel

-Manacles (poor)

-Playing Cards

-Thieves' Tools

-3x Oil flasks

-Soap

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

483637872_LerrisNinthborneUppershot.jpg.1c47c4e9548f9d1295a0a74776f904ac.jpgLerris Ninthborne

HP: 20/20 | AC: 17 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3 |Will: +7  | Hero 1/1 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

"Well said for a young man, nothing more important than a roof over your head, food in your belly, and people to share it with after all. But men often have a way of such making comfort and community around legends. Whether living or imagined. Sometimes around ones that aren't too pleasant if the right folk don't step in." Lerris answered Verne's comment, becoming uncomfortably aware of how old he sounded when the words "young man" came out. He was a bit too familiar with his own words as he spoke, thought wandering back to days long past of his own "community and comfort." The words seemed almost a contradiction to what the reality of that situation was, but he still couldn't but help feel a pang of nostalgia. Nostalgia swiftly followed by shame.

"Pleasure to meet you, Judge Malheur." Lerris put special emphasis on the Judge's name and title, having heard his small correction before. Once again, you called someone as they wished to be called. Only polite. Especially if it was a title they had earned. "Suppose someone needs to make sure we won't be signing away our rights to live."

"I know my letters mind you." "Lerris said, with a small huff of pride. It was the first indication of pride he had given the entire conversation, and in a skill that might have seemed basic to most here. "Doubt I know them better than a Judge however, so having you on will be-"

Lerris' words were immediately cut off, drowned out by the introduction of the grand Millanius the Arcane. His attention swiveled immediately, turning to focus on the newcomer who apparently has a sense of performance about him. His eyes gave the man the same studious attention that had been given to all the others. But however much he looked, he could only reach one familiar conclusion. Though this one came far easier than the rest had. Strange. 

But once again, Lerris wasn't exactly one to speak.

"Speaking of letters, a Wizard? Suppose if there was ever a need for one it'd be in the stolen lands. Exactly is like one of those storybooks you were saying Antonia. Now all we need is a wise old cleric to thump us over the head with a stick when we start speaking nonsense." Lerris said. He seemed to accept the man's claim of being a wizard with no hesitation. Perhaps it was due to the use of the world "save" rather than "take for myself and make marginally better or worse." Even if it was just bravado, better a pretty lie than a cruel truth. Though gods willing and if he didn't end up dead in a ditch near the road, come a year or so there would be neither in the Stolen Lands at all.

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 16 | health-normal.svg HP: 19/19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +6 | Ref: +6 | Will: +6 | Hero: 1/1 | FP: 1/1

Eidolon | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +6 | Ref: +7 | Will: +4

Thomas laughs and waves Lerris off.
"Ye mistake me, I'm afeared. This guid lad's larger an' stronger, an' handsomer tae boot, I regret tae say. An' I dout I can buy yuir loyalty wi' a scratch behind th'ear," he chuckles, patting Verne's bear on the head again.

As if to make sure of that, he puts the bear between himself and Amiri, and keeps scratching its head. He looks at Lerris, and raises a hand in greeting, returning it to the bear's head promptly when it grumbles. He sizes he Judge up more thoughtfully, if with no less distaste.

Then Millanius' carriage rolls up, and Thomas starts to chortle as he emerges, trotting up to him as he looks the man up and down.
"Save the kingdom! An' it's nae even a kingdom yet! Quite the wise wizard ye must be! Why, an' here's yuir faery servant!"

A gaunt, delicate-looking fae with skin like parchment fades into being on Millanius' right, their limbs a little too long, wearing a solemn black suit, their hair white and fine and radiating in every direction, reminiscent of a dandelion in mourning. They grit their teeth visibly, but they wilt and take up the ends of Millanius' cloak as a member of a royal entourage might. The sound of trumpets plays, although faint and distant, apparently announcing Millanius to everyone present.
Through the whole process, their expression remains as downcast as if they'd just learned that everything precious to them in the world had burned to ash, and that the ash had then been stolen by their oldest enemy.

Thomas claps the 'wizard' on the shoulder. "Puir class, suren it is, chief! I cannae wait tae se yuir arcane might vanquish e'ery monster an' mauchit chor i'the Stolen Lands entire, like."

OOC/Mechanics

Manifesting the Eidolon, which casts Ghost Sound, naturally.

image.png.40d02d917774d342399259154297e983.pngZakon watched the self-proclaimed 'wizard extraordinaire' approach with great interest. At a glance, he did not look like much but, as with Zakon, there were touches here and there that hinted at the possession of magic without beating one over the head with it - unlike the man's far less subtle introduction. If these were the 'heroes' who would answer Lady Aldori's call, and the Swordlord were to be flexible on her definition of 'hero', Lerris might have the right of it. A wizard would make an excellent addition to a dangerous expedition into the unknown. In response to Lerris's comment about needing a cleric to thump them over the head, Zakon glanced back at Lerris. "There is no law against speaking nonsense," it took self-control not to direct that comment elsewhere in the group, "... but if having someone to 'thump' another in the head with religious text would help, I can provide guidance in the matter, if not the tome." Zakon patted the black satchel at his side, which sagged with the weight of several books. "In my travels, I have studied all manner of religions and their doctrines. One need only inform me of the dogma to which they wish to be held accountable."

uc?export=download&id=1dRpitT3CcasYF2DNUtVf9NtjWbs0fRXE

Millanius the Arcane - Human Thaumaturge 1

HP: 17/17 | AC: 18 | Perception: +5

Fort: +6 | Ref: +6 | Will: +5  | Conditions: None

ResourcesCharacter:
-Hero Points: 1/3
-Focus Points: 0/0

Consumables:
-

Items:
-
| Spells/ScrollsScrolls:
-

Cantrips: 
-

Level 1:
-
| Skills*Acrobatics: +6
*Arcana: +3
Athletics: +1
Crafting: +0
*Deception: +8
*Diplomacy: +8
*Esoteric Lore: +7
Intimidate: +5
Medicine: +0
*Nature: +3
*Occultism: +3
*Performance: +7
*Politics Lore: +3
*Religion: +3
Society: +0
*Stealth: +6
Survival: +0
*Thievery: +6

*Trained

The man takes in the fair lad that makes light and replies in a respectable imitation of his accent, "Yoir a right knave then, are ye? Steppin' on mine proper introductions and wi' insults tae boot, righ enough. An' me nivver aye knowin' yoir name. But oll be vanquishing proper for long, dinnae ye mind." He says, making a flourish with his hand. He pauses for the briefest moment, repeats the gesture, then glares at his wrists, shaking his head. He turns to walk farther into the room and mutters to himself in a voice that only the keenest ears may hear, "Damn things never work right..." as he fiddles with something on his wrist.

OOC/Actions

Other:

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction: Recognize Spell

Free: 

Familiar/Other Modifiers

Stitches the Monkey | 5/5HP | AC18

Per: +5/Fort: +6/Ref: +6/Will: +5

-Low-light Vision

-Manual Dexterity

-Valet

-25' Land Speed

Effects:

-15' Aura, Circ bonus to Dip/Int/Dec & +1 v. Fear

-Success v Mental is crit success

-+2 Damage from empowerment

-Activate any Scroll

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Studded Leather Armor

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Thieves' Tools

Weapons

-Sword Cane

-Dagger

-5x Darts

-Scepter (Regalia)

Containers

Masterwork Backpack

-Bedroll

-Lantern, hooded

-Rations (1 week)

-Rope (50')

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Flint and Steel

-Manacles (poor)

-Playing Cards

-Thieves' Tools

-3x Oil flasks

-Soap

image.png.40d02d917774d342399259154297e983.png"Yes, well," Zakon mumbles, uncomfortably, excusing himself from the conversation before Thomas and Millanius's teasing of one another concluded. "... as there was an indication of interest in my 'letters'," the judge says to the others, inclining his head toward Lerris, and fishing around in his pack for parchment and a quill. "... I'll begin a representation agreement, immediately... waving my usual fees and commission, of course, as I stand to benefit as much as any of the undersigned." Mercenary adventurers, such as these gathered 'heroes' seemed to be, were typically quite comfortable with the concept of contractual work, even if they were often woefully uneducated in contractual law. This meant that they were often exploited by those with the resources to not only hire mercenaries to solve their problems but also retain barristers and legal scholars, like himself, to make all of the formal arrangements. Those were the men and women that Zakon was here, tonight, to meet with, not the noblemen and ladies holding court over the feast. Still, some level of suspicion and reservation, from people he met only moments ago, would be completely understandable. It was possible that none of them would have the wisdom to retain his services, regardless of the lack of strings attached to the formality. Either decision would tell Zakon something important about each of them. "That is, of course, assuming that one would prefer to delegate the paperwork and enjoy the festivities, ahead of the expedition." He raised an eyebrow, legitimately curious if anyone here intended to spend their last evening in civilization ironing out pedantic details with functionaries more skilled in doing so than they. Brave and ambitious heroes, indeed. 

As he spoke, Zakon reached over and dabbed the quill in a bottle of ink that the young woman who accompanied him had produced. He then began to write upon the parchment that he held on a small board of wood that he carried for just this purpose. He kept the language straightforward, as the contract was not intended to protect him. It was intended to protect them and to record his own obligations to their best-interest, should they choose to retain his services and authorize his representation. "... It does appear that the call for heroes had such success as to give Lady Aldori the luxury of choice." There were now ten of them gathered outside and the doors had not even been opened. Most of the stories of adventure told by bards involved groups with half as many members. "While this is fortunate for the Swordlord who put out the call, those of us who answered may find ourselves less fortunate, individually, than we are, collectively." Rather than spell out, precisely, what he was getting at, in front of Lady Aldori's servants, Zakon looked for any sign of recognition from the others gathered around him. Some of them, surely, would share his opinion that they could remain uncoordinated rivals, and advantage their host, or become organized allies, and improve their own positions. However, once again, even if none of the others responded favorably towards his assertion, Zakon would learn something very important about each of them. 

1079115390_AntoniaTKN.png.82fdea90cef4be4512af0c85ea13c109.pngAntonia Rullianus

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 | health-normal.svg HP: 19/19 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +8 | Will: +5 | Hero: 1/1 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

"Iconic, she says! How quaint." Antonia follows the comment with another wink in Amiri's direction. "It's a competition, then? Perhaps now would be the time to let you know that I have never lost a challenge. Ever." She puffed her chest out with pride at that statement, with her head raised and eyes closed. Yet she did not let the posture last too long, as that would come off as pompous. "But going easy on you is not an option, I'm afraid. I have a reputation to uphold, after all." Her eyes danced playfully as she peered at the strong woman, then they pirouetted over towards Lerris as he made his comment about her legend. She raised a hand and tugged on it idly, as if tightening her grip in the leather, but they would come to find this was a habit of hers. "Eager, indeed. However, let us not lose sight of the build-up, hmm? That's half of the fun. Though, I'm afraid there will be no rubbing off if I have anything to say about it." She chuckled, louder this time and perhaps a bit more naturally.

The Fencer calmed herself, clearing her throat at the awkward silence in the air. "Oh! Right. Manners, and all that. I should watch my silvery, little tongue." Antonia placed a hand against her lips, as if playing coy and apologizing with only her eyes and nothing more. The stagecoach approached and Antonia observed the events play out with a macabre curiosity. It was half-way through the procession that her expression shifted to one of pitying disappointment. She would hold her tongue for quite a while, allowing all to comment on the scene before doing so herself. But when Millanius spoke, she scoffed as silently as she could, though it wasn't very silent. In a low, muttering tone she said, "Ah, well. I suppose that's two amongst this company I will nary understand any time soon. I suppose context and body language alone will need to suffice." She cleared her throat a second time, though this was less to break an awkward silence and more to make herself known. "Excuse me! Yes, you there. The showy one. I think you forgot to press your cloak, sir!" That sly smile crept its way across her lips once more.

Feeling proud of herself, she looked towards the man with a haughty stare. That pride seemed to deflate as the Judge spoke of drafting some sort of paperwork before the expedition. Antonia’s borderline-sinister smile that was quickly becoming a signature started to fade as he continued on. She paused a moment, watching as he glanced around, looking for some sort of response. She was unsure if he was being a serious bore or if he was trying to coax something out of them. “Your honor, if I may, you have proven yourself even more sharp than the rumors say. I suppose I should not be surprised. After all, our common language can only describe the intensity of a thing thing to a certain degree. There are some things that just need to be seen in person.” She considered following the flattery with a humble bow, but decided she didn’t want to commit that strongly. “He is right, of course. Come. Let us all sit ‘round the manor entrance and draft the paperwork together, if only to relish the opportunity to watch the honorable Judge Malheur in action.” If she was being sarcastic, it was impossible to tell in her tone. Yet, she did not move from her position in any effort to set up a drafting area or seat herself in any circle. Instead of her sly, sarcastic grin, she held a pleasant smile as she watched him, eyes blinking in quick succession charmingly. 

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)

image.png.40d02d917774d342399259154297e983.png Zakon tipped his quill in Antonia's direction, silently acknowledging the praise the young woman was heaping upon him, as he wandered toward the manor entrance. He was either unaware or unconcerned that she and the others were making no attempt to follow him. His eyes and his thoughts were on the scroll on his wooden tablet. Niviq'zis scrambled to gather his bag, and follow after him, glancing once at Antonia with empty black eyes before scurrying after her master. 

Amiri grins even more fiercely at Antonia's remarks. "I've never lost a challenge, either! My tribe sent me to kill a frost giant, thinkin' I couldn't do it, and I killed it and took its sword!" She gestures to the massive greatsword strapped to her back.

She looks like she intends to say more, but she's interrupted. As Zakon begins moving back towards the manor entrance, he sees a well-dressed human man in dressed in simple but finely-made black clothing--a traditional Brevian butler's uniform--emerge from the manor and speak quietly to the guard at the podium. After a brief discussion, the guard inclines his head respectfully to the butler, then turns to address you all. "Excuse me, honored guests!" he calls. "The hall is prepared to receive you. Please form an orderly queue to enter the manor; servants will direct you to your seats."

As a line begins to form, several new faces emerge from the palace grounds. One is an elven woman, tall and dark-haired with the alien beauty typical to her kind, though her skin looks oddly pale in the fading sunlight. She stays back a bit from the crowd, clearly preferring to keep her distance from others.

From around the corner of the building come a group of five individuals, all of them covered head to toe in steel plate and full helmets. They wear medium gray tabards, trimmed with silver thread and bearing a grayish blue symbol that resembles a clawed handprint. As they take in the crowd, a few of them turn to each other, pointing at members of the assembled group--particularly Lerris and Milannius--and muttering insults and humorous observations about them.

Not long after, from the direction of the hedge maze comes a gnome dressed in a fine set of purple robes. His hair is a metallic, silvery hue, and has receded a fair way, giving his head an especially bulbous look. He regards the assemblage before him with a haughty expression. "So this is the assemblage of mercenaries and miscreants I am to lead to glory?" he asks loudly. He has a strange, sharp accent and a nasally voice. "Hmph. The gods test even the greatest men. I suppose I will have to make do."

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

image.png.40d02d917774d342399259154297e983.pngZakon appreciated a good orderly queue and - thanks to Antonia's suggestion - he found himself with a position towards the front of the line as well as the promised audience. He paused his writing a moment to look at each of the new strangers, who seemed to be emerging from every crack in the cobblestone. The uniformed men seemed to hold the judge's interest the longest. 

In moments, Lady Aldori's choice of champions had nearly doubled. Zakon understood this meant his own negotiating position had surely deteriorated but took solace in the fact that - should he manage to salvage agreeable terms, for himself - the caliber of men and women accompanying him would surely be higher than only a handful had answered the call. 

This thought was interrupted by the gnome emerging and insinuating their greatness to anyone who would listen to them. 

Zakon sighed as he finished the last few lines he intended to capture on the representation agreement.