Modiphius 2d20 Dice

X51

Modiphius' 2d20 systems seem to commonly used some proprietary d6s for things like damage. I have access to three of the systems - Conan, Fallout, and Star Trek Adventures - and the d6s work the same in all three, so I suspect they're the same in most of their 2d20 games. The dice work as follows:

d6 Result Symbol Result
1 * 1 damage
2 ** 2 damage
3 [blank] 0 damage
4 [blank] 0 damage
5 Effect Symbol 1 dmg+effect
6 Effect Symbol 1 dmg+effect

In the system, various weapons and attacks can have 'Damage Effects,' such as 'Piercing 1,' which would ignore 1 point of damage reduction for each Effect symbol rolled. Any output would then need to total both the amount of damage rolled and the number of Effect symbols rolled.

Would that be doable at all?

EDIT: The Star Trek book calls them 'Challenge Dice,' but Conan and Fallout both call them 'Combat Dice,' so the latter might be the better name for them.

Edited by X51 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 4:20 PM, Eric said:

@X51 - Picking up this topic since I have some free space. A few questions:

• Is it possible to roll more than one d6?
  • Is there a limit?
  • Is there a consistent symbol for Effect across the systems?
  • Yes.
  • Not a hard limit. It's determined by the damage value of your weapon and possibly plus a stat, and you can buy more dice with various point pools.
  • There is not, and in fact they're unique to the system. Fallout has Vault Boy, Star Trek has the Starfleet emblem, and Conan has like a phoenix symbol. They're all 'effect' symbols, though, so an E would be a good stand-in, or maybe the stylized 'M' that Modiphius uses for a logo.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, mykesfree said:

Also to add on, for the 2d20 system we are able to get 'You got X successes out of a pool of Y dice', but not to calculate double-successes or a critical failure.

Is there a way to get the dice roller to display this?

Thanks,

Myke

I will need more specific rules for how (and when) this is determined, but none of that sounds impossible.

The d20 rolls in the 2d20 systems work roughly like this:

You roll 2-5 d20s. For each die, there are four possible outcomes:

• 2 Successes
  • 1 Success
  • 0 Successes
  • 1 Complication

And what the player needs to know after the roll is the total number of successes and complications from the pool of dice.

So as an example, a security officer attempting to shoot a Klingon will roll 2d20. Double Successes are scored on a 2 or under, Single Successes on a 12 or under, nothing happens on an 19 or under, and Complications happen on a 20.

(Same as the current Success counting function, those boundaries change a lot, so would need to be set by the player each roll.)

• 5 months later...

Has this been implemented yet? I know I don't see 2d20 system on the system list as an option.

Could this be done as a variation of the success() function? Something like:

• success(dice, success threshold, success direction, extra success threshold, extra success type, failure threshold, failure direction, cancel, bonus)
    • where extra success type is success (adds an additional success) or critical (considered a Critical Success)

So that (Fallout 2d20 for example) a shooting combat roll with Agility 5, Small Guns 4 and a Complication on a 19 would be:

• success(2d20, 9, below, 4, critical, 19, above, 0, 0) - roll 2d20, success on die is 9 or below with Critical Success if a 4 or less and a complication on a 19 or 20.

And for Star Trek Adventures, a phaser shot with Fitness 8, Security 3 and Phasers Focus and an additional d20 would be:

• success(3d20, 11, below, 3, success, 20, above, 0, 0) - roll 2d20, success on die is 11 or below with extra success if a 3 or less and a complication on a 20.
Edited by Laird_Thorne (see edit history)