Act 1, Part 1a: Lady Aldori's Office

Kavonde

image.jpeg.a0af31a4bf077a2570f24f1d60e479bc.jpegLerris Ninthborne

health-normal.svgHP: 20/20 |checked-shield.svg AC: 17 | awareness.svg Per: + 4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3 |Will: +7  | Hero 1/1 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

"Personally, I think naïve is just a word bitter people came up with to make themselves feel more justified." Lerris nodded, satisfied with the Lady Aldori's explanation. It heartened him somewhat to learn that there were lordfolk out there who didn't speak with two faces. Of course, there was always the chance she was lying. But Lerris didn't see much point in it here and he liked better to believe anyhow. After all, he'd already put in his time as one of those bitter people calling others naive. 

"Well that was about my only concern, so it seems like we're done here unless you've got anything to add, Antonia. Though that's only for now at least, I'm sure the Judge will want to hammer out all the and footnotes of the contract later, eh?" Lerris said, reaching up with a hand and brushing four fingers through his hair. A tension had left him, one that was almost unnoticeable to anyone beforehand. With the conclusion that his part in this business really would just be taming and settling the Stolen Lands Lerris could ease a bit.

If it came to it, he thought that he could fight a war. He had the height and swordarm for it surely. And war's could be good if fought in the right name and cause, you only needed to look north to the Worldwound for evidence there. But mostly, war was messy business, he'd known enough veterans in his previous position to figure that at least. Best leave to leave that business to soldiers and other messy men. Not to say he wasn't messy even on the best of days.

splgZTH.pngZakon Malheur

HP: 14/14 | AC: 13 | Perception: +6
Fort: +3 | Ref: +3 | Will: +6
Hero Points: O | Focus Points: O

Zakon looked up at Lerris when he mentioned him, "Of course. I will ensure that everything is in order before we depart and, as Lady Aldori has made her preferences clear, I will take it upon myself to prepare any documentation which might further aid our endeavor." Lady Aldori might not be interested in formality and bureaucracy but certainly she would not object to Zakon wasting his own time with it, if it required no commitment from her. If she intends to respect the laws of each new nation she sires, someone will need to record them for her. In fact, given the lack of experienced governors among them, she may need someone who can give structure to them. "This will be our last night in civilized lands for some time. Each of you would be wise to spend it enjoying your own particular comforts and vices. This may be your last opportunity."

"Before we adjourn, however, shall we discuss provisions? I believe many of the guests arrived with their luggage but without full knowledge of the expedition or its goals. Lady Aldori, will additional supplies be made available to each group?"
Seeds require soil and water to sprout but Zakon would not be surprised if Lady Aldori claimed this was an opportunity to weed out groups who are neither resourceful nor self-reliant. She would not be wrong but it would not necessarily serve her best interest.

Edited by BlackHat (see edit history)

Lady Aldori smiles, clearly pleased that her words seem to have been taken well, and she nods in response to Zakon's question. "Yes, I intend to provide basic supplies to any who need them. Backpacks, rations, tents, rope, those ten-foot-poles that some veteran adventurers insist are vital to the success of any mission yet which I have never actually seen employed in any meaningful way, and so on. Additionally, if I do dispatch you to the Greenbelt, you'll have the option of operating out of Oleg's trading post. He's a good man, and he looks out for his guests."

splgZTH.pngZakon Malheur

"... if that is your preference, my Lady." Zakon preferred the Greenbelt assignment, as well, based only on the map in front of him and what he had heard this evening. She also seemed to have reasons for each of her other assignments, even if some of them were based upon hearsay. Lady Aldori was cavalier but she had put thought into playing to the strengths of each group.

"You have quite the collection here," Zakon remarked, admiring the shelves of non-fiction books. "... would you permit me to take one or two of these books to my quarters, if I ensure that they are returned before I depart?" As he passes another map, he adds, "Oh, and shall we be provided with a general map of the area or tools for cartography?"

1079115390_AntoniaTKN.png.82fdea90cef4be4512af0c85ea13c109.pngAntonia Rullianus

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 | health-normal.svg HP: 19/19 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +8 | Will: +5 | Hero: 1/1 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

As the Lady answered her question, Antonia gave her a polite nod of acceptance. It seems she had given the answer that the Fencer had been looking for. In the absence of further questions, Antonia decided instead to listen in on the queries of the others. Though she cared little for the man based on initial impressions, she had to admit that Judge Malheur was thorough. It was a quality that would be extremely useful in the unexpected adventure set before them – or, at least, it was unexpected to her. However, Lerris proved to be indecipherable. Clearly there was a dark past that the man dragged around with him, but how much had that shaped him into the man he was today? He seemed quite polite, but men changed when life was on the line and the swords were removed from their scabbards. She gave him a side-eyed evaluation, taking in his tall form for a second time today and viewing him altogether as someone different. Alas, her deduction would be kept to herself for now.

When the Lady spoke of the tensions between Issia and Rostland, Antonia made a comment that was both swift and quiet, as if she felt the need to say it but did not quite wish to be heard. "Perhaps the Issians feel the same. How rare it is that the ruling class speak for the citizens as a whole." She then quickly bit her lip, as if she wished to quiet her own self. It was the expression of someone who was kicking themselves mentally, yet she quickly changed it into one that was more befitting a noble. "Wonderful. All of it – just wonderful. I have always said that I've deserved a title that will assuredly be earned on this escapade. Lady Aldori, you have been a gracious host, both in the main chambers and within your own office." Antonia gave a flourishing bow and took a few steps backwards, towards the exit. "I think that I speak for all of us when I say that we are dedicated to giving this our best go. This Stag Lord will meet his end one way or the other, I just hope it as at the end of my rapier." The Fencer then looked to Lerris and, when she felt the others were distracted, motioned with her head for him to follow her out the door for a private conversation.

health-normal.svgHP: 20/20 |checked-shield.svg AC: 17 | awareness.svg Per: + 4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3 |Will: +7  | Hero 1/1 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

"Well you spoke well enough for me at least." Lerris said, nodding to Antonia's comment. He was none to pleased with the prospect of this "Stag Lord." The name had a sacrilegious tinge to it, someone of his ilk calling himself a lord. It bothered Lerris in more was than one, and as he felt the small amulet burn at his skin for a moment he absentmindedly scratched at his neck. "Bandits are bad enough when they're slinking in ditches and hiding in caves. If we're talking about one who's bold enough to attach "Lord" to his name... Well it'll be for everyone and everything if he's dealt with. Even better if by us."

Lerris' eye had caught Antonia's, not when she had motioned towards the door, but before then. When she gave her first small comment and bit her lip. She was a puzzle. Lerris thought he about had the read on most others in his new makeshift band, but she he still couldn't quite place. He knew the obvious of course. Quick-witted lady with a wrist likely well acquainted with that sword at her hip. But ladies of higher status didn't usually talk to him with anything but a distant disdain, even the nice or polite ones had an edge in their voice. But she didn't have that disdain or tone, and that intrigued him.

It was because of that intrigue that Lerris was paying enough attention to her to notice Antonia's subtle sign, one he was acquainted with. The all too familiar signal of "let's talk, but not here and not now." Usually that sign had come when he had either said something good or cocked something up and for just a moment a slight worry flared up in the back of Lerris' head, but he squashed it quickly. No need to overthink things. That was his old profession after all, and he'd long retired from that work... even if he still used the same tools. 

"Either way, think I've about heard everything I needed to hear. Plus I think all that drink is ding to introduce me to it's friend, the ground." Lerris chuckled, running four fingers through his hair as he stepped back slightly towards the door in effort to show he was soon to leave. But not soon enough to prevent him from prattling on a bit more, of course. "Judge, if you need it you've got my permission to speak on my behalf at least if you need to iron out anymore details. Suppose that's what the contract was for though."

"And thank you for the food and drink Lady Aldori, as well as the... opportunity. That's probably the best way to describe it. It's strange that I might be the only one to tell you this out of all the people here, considering what exactly you're offering, but strings attached or not it's the chance of a lifetime." Lerris said with a nod. Then he remembered Antonia had bowed before she left, which he figured might be the proper things to do, so he tried at one himself but it came out awkward and unpracticed. 

"Errr... anyway. Until next time." He said with a light chuckle at his own ineptitude, then trailed out of the room after Antonia. 

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 | health-normal.svg HP: 19/19 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +8 | Will: +5 | Hero: 1/1 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Antonia began to leave, but just before exiting she looked back towards Lady Aldori and gave an apologetic expression. "Forgive my brashness, but would it be possible to...borrow a bit of parchment and a quill? I need to write to my family before departing on this long journey, you see." Whether or not the request was given, she finally exited the room. When Lerris stepped out of the Lady's study, he found Antonia leaned up against the hallway wall with her legs crossed and her hands raised as she deftly shuffled a deck of playing cards between her fingers. "Ah, there you are. Quite the talker, aren't you? This next part will require you to avoid all that jibber-jabber though. Think you can handle it?" She eyed him a third time, this one being much more obvious. Even as her eyes were taken off of the cards, she did not cease her swift card shuffling.

"When accepting this...job, I was not exactly told of what it entailed. I was merely commanded to accept for the betterment of my own future. That being said, I will need to leave a note for my family and a few...friends of mine. Make sense? Good. Do not ask questions, it's unbecoming of a gentleman. Now, if you are willing, I will need you to create a bit of a distraction so that I may slip out the door, compose my letter, and store it in a safe place where it can be found by my friends. Surely a man of your stature could make a distraction quite easily, even in a large chamber like the main hall. You also seem like the type who does not turn down a job just because there are unanswered questions." She grinned widely and twirled a card between two fingers before finally showing off the face of it: The Jack of Diamonds. She then quickly shuffled the card back into the deck and continued the odd sleight of hand as she resumed talking. "If you're willing, I will make sure that you are paid in some form or another along our journey." Her fingers flicked swiftly and she then displayed the Queen of Hearts and gave the man a wink. "Obviously this will need to remain between the two of us. What do you say, then?"

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)

She called him a gentleman. Or at least implied it. Now that was strange. Lerris Ninthborne would admit to being a lot of things. A bastard for one, though not in the literal sense. Polite perhaps, though he didn't think himself particularly more polite than what should be expected of anyone. But a gentleman? That was not one of them. It was a small word to get hung up on. But once you got hung once, you tended to notice the small details. Lerris just then realized that he was thinking about himself, when in reality he should be thinking about her. Though that wasn't a particularly hard switch to make. 

She needed a distraction, and for some reason she figured him the man for the job. She had figured right of course, in fact when it came to distractions there was likely no better professional in the building for it. Apart maybe from that phony wizard. But the how of the job wasn't what weighed on Lerris' mind, it was the why. It seemed in his mind that a simple letter stamping had no need for any subterfuge, unless that letter was being sent to someone who had no business receiving it. What family had she said she was from again? The Rullianus family was it? He tried for a moment to place that on a political map, but failed almost immediately. It was simply not his expertise. Though he couldn't help but wonder if the Rullianus House was located more closely on the map to the Surtovas than the Aldoris. If that was case then he figured maybe he should decline, for no other reason that it would be the right thing to do.

However, that was speculation. As far as Lerris knew it could simple be a private letter that Antonia had perfectly reasonable motives for wanting to keep obscured and he was in the right place at the right time for this bit of work. After all there were two types of people who never did anything straightforward, thieves and nobles. And if that was the case he figured then he figured he should help her, also for no other reason than it would be the right thing to do. 

"Dammit all." Lerris cursed, running four fingers through his hair as he looked longways to the side. There was an air of frustration in his voice and face, obviously grappling with some unseen dilemma in his head. He'd barely been on his new road for even a day and he was near tripping on every pebble. But then his face softened and a soft smile spread across his lips, one almost boyish in nature. He crossed his arms slightly and leaned against the wall, eyes focused heavy on Antonia again. "You sure know how to put a man on the spot, don't you Antonia? Hallway rendezvous, no questions allowed, an odd task, and that damn smile of yours. Put it all together and its worse than splashing me awake with a bucket during the winter chill." 

"I'll do it and I'll keep it under wraps as well. But I don't need payment or any other quid pro quo." Lerris said with a small nod to himself, figuring that was likely the best way to go about things. "We're working the same job, which means as far as I'm concerned we're apart of the same crew. And that means I owe you at least one good turn anyhow." 

Antonia's smile spread into a shiny, toothy grin. "Yes, putting men on the spot is a specialty of mine. Rarely do they say no. Case and point." She twirled another card from the deck and revealed the Ace of Spades. "I appreciate the gesture, truthfully I do. But there is always quid pro quo, I'm afraid. Whether or not you acknowledge it makes no difference. There will come a time when you will need something and I will be there to see it done. That is, assuming that all goes well with our current venture." She slid the Ace back into the deck and shuffled it once more before tucking it into the pocket of her jacket. "I will compose the letter, and then follow you back down to the main chamber. Whatever you decide to use as the distraction, make sure it draws all the eyes on you. I imagine my goals will take no longer than seven minutes to complete, at which point I will return to calm things down and you will know it has been done."

She pushed herself off of the wall and strode towards him. A gloved hand reached out to pat him on the shoulder, but due to his considerable height it was a bit of a reach, even for her. "It is always good to know there is at least one in our assumed-future-group that I can count on; likewise you can make the assumption that I am to be counted on as well. Quid pro quo, my dear." Antonia's hand slid from his shoulder and retrieved the quill and parchment. She stared at him expectantly for a moment before rolling her eyes, though her smile remained. She raised her index finger and made a twirling motion, indicating he should turn around. When he did, she placed the parchment against his broad back and began to write in a flowing script. It only took a minute for her to be done and she swiftly curled the parchment into a tight roll. "I will admit, I am excited to see what you come up with."

Lerris turned when Antonia motioned for him to. The fact that he was literally spinning on her command wasn't lost on him, but he wasn't proud enough to be inconvenient for no reason. He wasn't proud enough for a great many things he now realized, though he couldn't quite tell if that was a good or bad thing. 

As Lerris turned he grabbed the back of his hair and pulled it over his shoulder, to make sure Antonia could write unobscured. Leaning forward slightly and with no hair covering his nape, Antonia could make out along his neck. A scar unlike any other ran around Lerris' neck, most likely a rope burn in nature. A dull mixture of brown and red, it was obviously long healed. Which also meant it would be there for a long time, if not forever.

"I suppose that's a way of looking at it." Lerris said in response to Antonia's comment about quid pro quo. He had found that some people couldn't just accept a favor, and good on them for it. Some of the only good men he had ever known never accepted anything without the promise of repayment. "But don't feel obligated if you can manage it. I'm doing this for you because I want to. And not because I want anything." 

When Antonia had finished using his back as a clipboard, Lerris let his hair fall back and turned. Though it had softened somewhat, the smile was still crept up along his lips. He had read in a book once that a certain type of person had a need to feel needed. He always figured he was close to that type of person, maybe the remnant of whatever older brother instincts he had left in him. But maybe that was just him trying to reason the unreasonable. 

"And I've got to say, when it comes to the distraction. I'm excited to see what I come up with as well." Lerris chuckled as he nodded towards the hallway and then started off down it. He didn't have the faintest clue what he'd do or say, usually he'd have planned this type of work weeks or maybe even months in advance. With a broken tree or two as props or a dozen crossbows as backup. But he figured there was no point in worrying too much. It'd come to him. Maybe. Hopefully.

Edited by Rider Z (see edit history)

Antonia's eyes did not miss the obvious scar across the man's neck as she penned her letter, and one of her dark eyebrows quirked upwards, "While I appreciate what you are trying to do – Be a nice person, that is – I think you will do far better understanding that favors are a valuable currency, especially once we hit the stolen lands. While I am not so naive as to believe that you earned that neck scar from being overly nice, it also tells me you've been in a bad position – perhaps more than once. Leverage is used to get you out of such positions and see that you never are in them again." She patted him softly on the shoulder to indicate that she had finished writing.

When he turned around, she was stuffing the letter in her coat pocket out of sight. "The great Lady Aldori is seriously downplaying the danger we are about to walk into, dear. I am not sure how familiar you are with the Stolen Lands, but it is a place of thievery and death; not necessarily in that order. We will need to rely on each other. This is my way of ensuring that I can rely on you while also telling you that you may rely on me, at least for certain things. It's best to have an..." She paused a bit as she searched for the proper word, "...agreement between at least two members of the party that they will watch each other's back. Although your back is quite large, I am certain I can keep a dagger or two from sticking into it here and there. That is, so long as you can assure me that you will have mine as well. This is just a test of that relationship, hmm?" She began following after him towards the main chamber where their test awaited. The Fencer did little to display her current mindset nor whether she was being serious about their agreement. Instead, she strode forward with the same showy display she had upon her arrival but kept her pace steady beside Lerris.

splgZTH.pngZakon Malheur

Sometime later, having ironed out the remaining details with Lady Aldori, Zakon Malheur arrived at his room, with a few scrolls tucked carefully under one arm, and a thick book with several loose pages tucked with it clasped in the other. He was escorted by one of the house staff - a wonderfully dutiful older man named Hale - who had offered to carry the political treatises and legal documents and who took no offense when Zakon insisted on carrying them himself. After their arrival, Hale insisted on opening the door and preparing the room, but before his hand reached the handle, Niviq'zis opened the door and greeted them both with a silent bow. The smell of a fire filled the air, as the room had already been prepared. "Thank you for your service." Zakon said, dismissing the servant and seeing that he was about to protest further. Unbecoming behavior. "I shall speak highly of your acquiescence, but I have a long night ahead of me and now only require solitude and privacy." Hale stopped himself, immediately, bowed, and backed away.

Niviq'zis seemed out of breath. Suspicious. The room was prepared to his satisfaction. His things were unpacked, athough the fire in the hearth was a little cool. Had it been started last? Zakon carefully set down his books and scrolls on a small table, where his other writing supplies and books had been arranged, along with his scholarly journals and three religious texts he had brought with him, "The Order of Numbers", the "Manual of City Building", and the "Asmodean Disciplines".

image.png.802c43cc482d5342f005e63ac4a3aa9b.pngNiviq'zis

HP: 5/5 | AC: 13 | Perception: +5
Fort: +3 | Ref: +3 | Will: +8

"Master, Maegar Varn invited me to play 'games' with the others in the hall." It was worded as a statement, rather than a request. "... and I-"

"Did he?" Zakon raised an eyebrow and looked up from his desk. "Excellent. Attend, at once." He then returned his attention to the parchment unrolled before him as he flicked the quill of a pen as though brushing the girl away.

Niviq'zis paused. She expected to have to bargain or at least plead her case. "... if I can be of no further service." Niviq'zis bowed and hesitantly began to leave.

"Perhaps you might yet...." Zakon mused, offhandedly, as she left. Once the door was closed, he began the ritual to conjure a invisible spirit to attend to him for the remainder of the evening, while Niviq'zis made herself far more useful in the Great Hall. Another quick motion conjured another book from thin air, which fell to the desk, open to a page with a drawing that very much resembled Lerris Ninthborne as well as several paragraphs about the crimes that led him to the gallows. Was Hell denied a soul that day, or did Asmodeus refuse to take him?

OOC

Discussed some wrap-up offline on discord. Zakon brings with him some borrowed legal treatises, including writings from a pair of very well-known Galtan revolutionary writers named Darl Jubannich, detailing the foundation of the constitutional parliamentary republic of Andoran, as well as the anarchist writings of Hosetter, which fueled the state of revolution for more than half a century now. There's also some writings, which pre-date House Thrune, on how Cheliax adopted and adapted Taldan codes of law and government, some studies on various cultures like the Mwangi and Sarkoris, and several scrolls written by a merchant from Absalom on the importance of a prosperous merchant class.

Zakon will cast his spells before retiring for the evening: An Unseen Servant spell to do menial tasks around the room, in Niviq'zis's absence, and he will conjure a book on crimes to help him on an off-screen Legal Lore check to do some research on Lerris's current legal status. (Asked about it on Discord, but want to let Rider dictate whether the law acknowledges the nine miracles that kept him alive... or whether some just saw it as a divine sign.)