Character Creation Questions

The Vermicious Knid

1 minute ago, BobtheWizard said:

Would slippers of spider climbing be ok for one of the magic items? I'm making a monk and it would be cool to get that ability before level 9. 

Yeah, I had asked for those also, but went with something else. 1 or 2 uncommon, or 1 uncommon and 1 rare

3 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

Unearthed Arcana: Class Feature Variants
All classes have variant options that can be used.

Ah ha!  I have successfully figured out how multi-quote works. XD

Yes, sorry, those will be fine then. 🙂

Also, I tried to reply to your private message, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to do so.  I was clicking the heck out of "Reply to this conversation," the Quote button, even tried the pull-down menus, and nothing worked.  Not sure what's going on there.  Regardless, thanks for the heads up.  I don't recall linking to anything from there, but I'll do a quick look to see where I messed up.  Thanks again.

My search-fu must be weak.  The only thing I could find that I linked to was the GM Binder house rules for gestalting, which I'm pretty sure isn't a copyright issue. 🙂 Could you link me to what you were referring to?  Feel free to do it here or in a private message (even if I can't reply, I can still read them apparently), though I don't see anything wrong with pointing out my blunders publicly!

3 hours ago, BobtheWizard said:

Would slippers of spider climbing be ok for one of the magic items? I'm making a monk and it would be cool to get that ability before level 9. 

Yes.  As Steel Warrior said, I gave him the thumbs up when he had asked about them as well.

Edited by The Vermicious Knid (see edit history)

Cool. Grolic is ready for your review. I've always loved the idea of a four elements monk but the execution in 5e is lacking. But combining it with wizard I think I can really create the feel of what the class should have been. I can expand his backstory if you want to see more. 

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

4 hours ago, The Vermicious Knid said:

A flame tongue axe is totally fine.  I don't mind using different weapon types for items at all.  In fact, I found it weird that they were stingy with those in the published material.  Like... why would a flame tongue ONLY be a sword? 🤷‍♂️

Actually looks like Unearthed Arcana has a section for Weapon Enchants as well.
Flame Tongue is on the list for 2d6 fire damage among the other commonly known weapon effects. No prices though, just rarity.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

So making sure I got the equipment right. We get the 4 magic items and then 100 gp to buy whatever else we need? No starting equipment? I am asking because as a cleric/wizard if I by scale mail and a spell book, that is all the equipment he gets. Granted I could make the armor one of the magical gifts, but still half my money is spent on a spellbook. Or do i get that for free? 

I am fine either way, just want to make sure I have it right.

Also, if I understand it correctly, memorize/prepare the spells for wizard plus the spells cleric. But can only cast from the normal 4 1st and 3 2nd level spell slots. I just choose from both pools of prepared spells.

Or are you using the option where I get full casting from both classes?

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

Equipment:  You get your starting gear (but not the option to just have a large sum of gold) from both of your classes and your background.  You then get 100gp on top of that to spend as you see fit, plus two common and two unncommon items of choice (with a few exceptions).  If one of the uncommon items is a weapon, suit of armor, or shield, it can be rare instead.  Wizards, for instance, would get a free spellbook as normal, as well as one of the choices from the other three equipment categories (eg, quarterstaff, arcane focus, and scholar's pack).  Your Cleric side would grant the same from their equipment categories (eg, warhammer, scale mail, light crossbow and bolts, priest's pack, and holy symbol).

The group as a whole will then have 1,000gp to share for travel expenses or whatever else you collectively deign to use it for once the quest begins.

You can opt to sell any of your starting gear from your classes and background at 50% its listed price, too.  But if an item doesn't have a listed price, such as some backgrounds giving things like "a writ of authenticity from your guild," you cannot sell that.

Oh, and you also need to roll for or select two trinkets, from any trinket table you'd like to use.  You also need to include a paragraph or so explaining how you acquired it and what it means to you, if anything.

Spellcasting:  I'm treating both sides of your build as separate for the purpose of spellcasting.  So you would have the full spellcasting ability of a Wizard and the full spellcasting ability of a Cleric.  Separate spell lists, separate spells per day, and so on.  Each is also reliant on their own ability scores, and all other relevant rules.  Just like if you were both a full-blown Wizard and a full-blown Cleric all at once.

You are, of course, still limited to the number of actions you get per round.

are firearms a thing?  Considering an Artificer/creation bard and trying to hammer out the concept, so I thought I'd first take a shot at maybe having some sort of gun, but if firearms are a longshot, I could craft a armorer or battle smith.

Yes, firearms have been in the realms for almost 200 years now.  Use the rules in the DMG for them, limiting yourself to Renaissance Items.  Note that they're listed as martial items, are out of your starting budget (250gp minimum for a pistol), and aren't included in the Artificer or Bard equipment lists.

That said, unless another player has any opposition, I'd allow you to have one Pistol for free during character creation with 20 bullets.  This would be in place of any and all weapons both of your classes and background would give you.  You can still use some of your 100gp to buy other weapons/more ammo, but none for free.

So unless someone comes in and says they're uncomfortable with that, have at it. 🙂

Alternatively, of course, you could just spend one or both of your uncommon/rare items to acquire one or the other, too.

Do you have anything against a wizard starting with a familiar? And if we can do we have to pay the cost of the spell or do we assume he already spent the money. And the next part of this question is could we have one of the non standard familiars? Was thinking either a psuedo dragon or a Tressym. I think the dragon is more suited for someone who has spent most of their time in the caves of a mountain.