The Questions

Eric

1. What interests you about steampunk in general?
  2. What do you consider to be your go-to steampunk media (literature/TV/movies/etc.), and why?
  3. What do you hope to get out of this game?
  4. How would you describe yourself as a gamer?
  5. What character attributes/archetypes are you most interested in exploring/interacting with?
  6. What character attributes/archetypes are you least interested in exploring/interacting with?
  7. If you could add one thing to the setting document, what would it be, and why?
  8. Is there an element of the setting document you would remove or avoid if you were the GM?

1. Its kinda like a (mechanical) engineer's pipedream - I can see / interact with mechanical bits and bobs that are totally unrealistic, but gritty and functional. Its low tech star-trek kitbash things together until they work glory. The grit makes it somehow more believable vs some science fiction, but still have unreal equipment and the explaination being "steam" instead of "magic or nanomachines".
  2. What do you consider to be your go-to steampunk media (literature/TV/movies/etc.), and why?
    1. This one is a bit odd, I've gotten into the setting of steampunk more through pictures / vibe & research on the different -punk settings and some roleplaying games than books / literature
    2. Ooo, Atlantis the lost empire - totally forgot this was steampunk and manapunk mix. This movie was such a fun adventure of exploration of the unknown and plot twists while the main character (and the friends he made) got drawn into. 
    3. More recently Arcane (netflix) fits the bill, its more manapunk but there are elements in it that resonate with steampunk and I love the tv show's contrast of the high life and the 'working class'
    4. 80 days around the world (the steampunk version) has a lot of fantastical "mecha" steam powered things like trains, automata, and dirigibles while following a victorian era gentleman in his quest to use those new fangled machines to quicken his traversal
    1. Some interesting stories, mysteries and adventure.
    1. Uhhhhhhhhhhh I'm a ducj. I'm story focused / plot / interesting interactions - might mean I do things that make it more interesting than the 'optimal' move if it makes sense naratively
  5. What character attributes/archetypes are you most interested in exploring/interacting with?
    1. Would be interesting to see the dynamics between high class / low class in this setting (if there is one?)
    2. I'd love to run into / sidekick a homes type character
    3. Nikola Tesla. Enough said xD
  6. What character attributes/archetypes are you least interested in exploring/interacting with?
    1. Not sure, most of my dislikes get covered by MW's rules
  7. If you could add one thing to the setting document, what would it be, and why?
    1. Rumors about Atlantis / hints of unknown dark jungles - places wild and untamed to be explored. Like Atlantis is now in the depths of Europa or there is a wild untamed jungle on venus that rumors a temple of unknown origin. 
  8. Is there an element of the setting document you would remove or avoid if you were the GM?
    1. No

1. I love the anachronistic feel - the fantasy and Verneian complex science fiction that Steampunk tries to emulate.  It's a "What If?" alternate history scenario that one can simply run with in an upbeat, gonzo, fantastic way.  There are serious issues that can be tackled, of course, like with any genre.  But if I want to kick back and just HAVE FUN ... it seems so easy to do so in Steampunk because it's "Not Quite" our reality - it's a "Might Have Been" instead.
    1. Jules Verne - anything
    2. Sherlock Holmes (The RDJ version) - A great adaptation which just a bit of invention in that Victorian Era.
    3. Violet Evergarden - Girl with mechanical arms that's only known being a soldier trying to learn to live?  Very much steampunk. And it's a gorgeous anime.
    4. Howl's Moving Castle - Yes, it's more like Baba Yaga's hut, but with the war going on and Miyazaki's fantastic mechanical imagination and animation style, it's very clockwork and steam punk.  In fact, a LOT of Miyazaki's stuff (Castle in the Sky!  OH MY GOSH!  The ornithopters of the sky pirate gang!) with that sense of wonder and hope and aesthetic.
    5. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - HA!  ALLAN QUARTERMAINE!!!!!  It was a horrible movie that was just too much fun and is a guilty pleasure of mine.
    6. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - More Diesel Punk, but still has that fantastic "What If" feel.
    7. Aeronaut's Windlass - I wish Jim Butcher would write more in this setting.  I rather enjoyed it. Skyships!!!
    8. Girl Genius - Do I need to explain this one?
    9. Full-metal Alchemist Brotherhood - More indepth story than the first anime.  I love this one.  The English voice-actors are fantastic, too.  World of alchemy as magic, but gears and steam as well.
    10. TRIgun - VAAAASH!  Oh my gosh.  This ... a Weird West in Space settling, but steam, and gears and living energy and ... it starts off as a comedy, ends seriously. This is one of my favorite anime of all time.
    1. Honestly?  Fun.  I am here to have fun.  I love the gonzo pseudo-scientific world of steampunk.  And I'm just here to have a good time.  No other expectations.
    1. I tried to be laid back, but can get wrapped up in my characters.  I do enjoy the serious stuff, character development, surprising and cunning plans, but ... I do like to quip.
    1. Hmmm, that's a good question.  Heck, I'll even pull my character's proverbial hair out at violent characters.  
    1. Maybe not the lone wolf brooding type?  It's hard to draw them out of their shells?
    1. I'll be honest - I haven't finished it.  So at this time ... nothing?  Maybe settings - but that's what we are doing as characters, right?  But maybe the Seven Cities of Gold (which were advanced tech cities founded by an advanced race of lizards?)? Atlantis? Maybe Aksum or The Great Zimbabwe? 
    1. Again, I haven't finished it, but I haven't seen anything that really irks me wrong.  But then, I'm old and can have selective memory.

I have always loved the adventure that seems inherent in the genre. In a world of rapidly advancing technology mixed with older superstitions, its easy to delve deep into exploring something wild and new.

My go-to for steampunk media tends to be books and writing online, though I used to be very active in the propmaking and cosplay community for steampunk.

A fun adventure!

Simultaneously an overthinker, but also impulsive when it comes to things I think would be cool in the moment. I have a tendency to play medics, or crafters of some sort because it allows me to plan things ahead of time to help the group. I am forgetful at times, so having things planned out ahead helps me keep myself on track.

I have a deep love for automatons (As Ducj and Amy know well and are probably chuckling to themselves) and tinkers as well. Dashing explorer type characters a la Indiana Jones, Nathan Drake, or Lara Croft are also incredibly fun.

I don't know. I don't tend to dislike things for the most part so long as they make sense with the story.

I would add some substance to the superstitions. Maybe not full blown magic, but something outside the normal with a more mystical flair. Mediums able to speak to spirits, mythical beings that really exist, artifacts of great unknown power to lure treasure hunters from around the globe.

There isn't anything I dislike in the setting document, so no, nothing I would remove.