Dream State

iantruesilver

As you've noticed, our version of Iron Gods opens slightly different than how the campaign is written in the book.  The prologue puts you in what I call "Dream State", partly inspired by the "Fugue State" idea from the Strange Aeons AP, various horror writings, as well as several choice sci-fi sources I've personally enjoyed and drawn parallels to while designing the solo version of this game for my wife's character, Belinda.

While the wife (being a relative beginner to gaming in general) and I never got to explore this idea in depth with our live table, we began her live IG with a dream — in fact, a more narrated, less participatory version of the exact same dream.72ACC8E0-5422-4D1C-9392-F578E184D35A.jpeg.f8742c39afde463954edd0365605888a.jpeg.

So while I was beginning to plan out how to translate that part of Belinda's customized storyline and transpose it back into this group-based game, it felt natural to open that dreamscape up for you to be able to participate in, perhaps not as a fully sandboxed world in and of itself, but as a semi-guided dream experience.

And then today it dawned on me.  Why not write in regular forays into Dream State?  If I can do it once (and we already are), the foundation of that work could certainly be used for multiple uses, if so desired.

So.  Here goes.

Dream State chapters will behave somewhat differently than the rest of this campaign, in that you will participate in these special chapters with a special Dream State version of your character  — except advanced up to Level 20 (more rules to follow below).

Dream State Persona

Resources

No change

Character Advancement

Advance your Persona to Level 22 using the Automatic Bonus Progression optional rules in Pathfinder Unchained, based on the existing character you have built, without respec to decisions already made.

• ie. If Val is currently a Level 2 Human Investigator [Empiricist], her Persona cannot be a Half-Orc Investigator [Empiricist] 1 / Gunslinger 19.

Practically this would mean taking the Character Advancement and Level-Dependant Bonuses (both in general and class specific) from the Core Rules up to Level 20, and then adding the Automatic Bonus Progression benefits up to Level 22 as described in Pathfinder Unchained.

Skills

Skill ranks are retroactively improved via permanent ability score increases

Hit Points

Average for Hit Die (see PFS Roleplaying Guild Guide Version 10.0, p27)

Wealth

No additional wealth or equipment

Everything Else

Hero Points do not apply in Dream State

Please prepare a separate character sheet for the Dream State version of your character, for our planned forays into these chapters.

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)