Party's History

Peacemonger

Thank you Peacemonger.

I took a quick scan of the other characters.
I noticed a couple typos here and there in the crunch.  If anyone notices anything for Killian, please anytime, let me know in Discord dm. I try to review and edit as necessary, but were human, we miss things. Even those of us who are Dwarves and Elves.

As to party history.

My personal inclination for Killian (as a Bard in 5e) was to have him chasing Bardic Lore, myths, legends, and be fascinated by the ancient legends and rumours, of Dwarven and Elven civilizations.  He will happily chat for hours in the pub and over the campfire, about any such legends that he has uncovered.

I think Id like to put together a sort of collection of the rumours and legends he has learned.  Something, presumably, less comprehensive than the entire Wiki.
haha.

As to Killian working with the party.
In my mind before meeting yall specifically, I was considering the idea that a certain cute halfling bard NPC called in a favor, and dragged Killian off to be her arm candy and performance partner at a Feast she had been invited to.

So Killian just stumbled along for the ride.  She might have planned to get him involved, who knows. She is a little minx. 
And Killian would get excited about this opportunity to follow along the adventurers who have been recruited and nominated to explore, and chart, and clear, the Green Belt.

Having met you all though, It might be neat to have been hanging out in the tavern together, having received our invitations to attend this coming Feast.
We could have been recruited to form an Expedition. And have arrived a few weeks early in Restov, to outfit for the journey, and to attend the Jamandi Aldori? feast and declaration? 

Either way, at outset, I really feel that Killian is following along for the adventure, and for the chance to either learn new Bard Tales to share (gotta keep up the repertoire) (gotta eat) , and maybe just maybe, to record the adventures and create his own new Stories to share.

I don't think that Killian has any grand kingdom designs , himself , yet. That said, he should make a great kingdom leader later, (players guide primer) and is versatile enough to fill different types of roles in the future I think.

I think some of his mindset should evolve and adapt over time as we encounter problems in the Greenbelt... problems which plague the people who live there now, or follow us seeking a better life, a new start. 
As the people start to look for help against the drama in the Greenbelt and beyond, I think Killian will slowly feel more responsible.

one of my philosophies... If I am able to do something about the problem, I should try...

interested in your thoughts for yourselves and Killian.  You can always find him in the tavern. 

Edited by Sweegy One (see edit history)

All right, read up on everyone. Here's some initial thoughts:

General

• In general, I don't think Orchard necessarily NEEDS to know any of the others before, his humble background as a rustic farmer and trader is a bit different and may not have crossed the others paths.
  • Orchard's introduction to this adventure came through his Merchant's Guild, and there's likely that the Guild itself may have friendly ties with some or all of the PCs. We could potentially create the Guild Master or some other prolific member that would know nobles, pirates, and/or performers.

Anya & Nicolay (very different characters, but similar backgrounds, so putting the two together)

• Growing up in Rostland, Orchard would be very far from the politics of Surtova not only by his status, but geographically as well.
  • If he met either of the two, it would likely be that one was traveling through rural Rostland on some excursion, or more recently Orchard traveling around apprenticing as a merchant and visiting a few other places around Brevoy, mostly staying quiet and observing, bright-eyed and naive to it all.
  • Orchard would certainly be respectful to nobility, but in a way that he's respectful to everyone which may be refreshing or insulting or both depending on the Surtovas' feelings about it.

Killian

• Most likely fellow PC ot have come across Orchard during his travels. Orchard likely wouldn't have stood out all that much other than not quite seeming like a Gnome or Halfling... perhaps a cross between the two?
  • Orchard is very, very impressed by all things of the arts from paintings to theater to music to storytelling. He'd be a fan.
  • However, Orchard doesn't really drink, or party, or get rowdy, at most politely accepting a drink and nursing it for a long time, and only that's been more recent. 
  • In fact, thinking on it, since Killian is well older, one potential is he met Orchard when he was a child if they crossed paths.

Ottokar

• One look at Orchard and Ottokar will likely know that Orchard is soft, with few troubles in his life.
  • If they've met, would likely have made a trade more recently, with Orchard happily taking the worse half of it. That said, he hasn't amassed riches, so whatever deal was likely smaller in nature.

OTHER THINGS OF NOTE

• Orchard does NOT know he is a Fairy. He was raised by Gnomes whose house he was left at. He know he's not a Gnome, but some sort of "cousin" to them. In the great big world of Golarion, who knows what peoples are out there? Knowing he's something close to Gnomes means he has an idea there's something Fey-ish to him, but he is oblivious to the fact that he's 100% Fey.
  • He is missing his wings, only scars on his shoulder blades any clue, therefore there's not that obvious giveaway to his nature.
  • He is being sent along because better merchants have the sense not to put their neck out on such a dangerous quest with little guarantee for success. The more politically savvy characters will likely know that Orchard is a pawn. If he's lost, no big loss, but if they're successful the more cunning merchants will swoop in and take the lion's share of the gold and glory from Orchard if they can. Orchard is also too naive and green to see this.

32 minutes ago, Peacemonger said:

All right, read up on everyone. Here's some initial thoughts:

General

• In general, I don't think Orchard necessarily NEEDS to know any of the others before, his humble background as a rustic farmer and trader is a bit different and may not have crossed the others paths.
  • Orchard's introduction to this adventure came through his Merchant's Guild, and there's likely that the Guild itself may have friendly ties with some or all of the PCs. We could potentially create the Guild Master or some other prolific member that would know nobles, pirates, and/or performers.

Anya & Nicolay (very different characters, but similar backgrounds, so putting the two together)

Killian

• Most likely fellow PC ot have come across Orchard during his travels. Orchard likely wouldn't have stood out all that much other than not quite seeming like a Gnome or Halfling... perhaps a cross between the two?
  • Orchard is very, very impressed by all things of the arts from paintings to theater to music to storytelling. He'd be a fan.
  • However, Orchard doesn't really drink, or party, or get rowdy, at most politely accepting a drink and nursing it for a long time, and only that's been more recent. 
  • In fact, thinking on it, since Killian is well older, one potential is he met Orchard when he was a child if they crossed paths.

Ottokar

OTHER THINGS OF NOTE

• Orchard does NOT know he is a Fairy. He was raised by Gnomes whose house he was left at. He know he's not a Gnome, but some sort of "cousin" to them. In the great big world of Golarion, who knows what peoples are out there? Knowing he's something close to Gnomes means he has an idea there's something Fey-ish to him, but he is oblivious to the fact that he's 100% Fey.
  • He is missing his wings, only scars on his shoulder blades any clue, therefore there's not that obvious giveaway to his nature.
  • He is being sent along because better merchants have the sense not to put their neck out on such a dangerous quest with little guarantee for success. The more politically savvy characters will likely know that Orchard is a pawn. If he's lost, no big loss, but if they're successful the more cunning merchants will swoop in and take the lion's share of the gold and glory from Orchard if they can. Orchard is also too naive and green to see this.

I like that. 

I was saying too, that when you mentioned your Merchant Guild ties, 
House Garress is all about the Mining and Crafting industry.  As such, it makes sense to have strong ties to the Merchant Guild, the Craft and Mining guildmasters would likely maintain relations with the Merchant Guild, obvi... and while it might ever be contentious, it might be a necessary partnership.
As such, it makes sense that we could have crossed paths at any point you deem appropriate.

As to drink, I personally will have him be a bit rowdy, and enjoy food and drink, (but if you pay very close attention, his cider is sweeter than strong, and he always eats with his dark ale)

Killian should be rowdy, energetic, boysterous, partly because, that;s what pays the bills in that kind of pub/tavern.

but he can be somber, and he can be diplomatic. and the full mug helps to cover the fact that he, (Me by extension, ) he is really an energetic dude, and people tolerate a boysterous rambunctious crowd when drinking or sporting, but not necessarily in the library.

haha

considering how much time Killian needs to spend in libraries researching his legends... it should be fun to roleplay those polar opposites

AS TO your naivite, it should be interesting to see how that plays out. particularly as one of the skeptical, jaded, diplomatic, political sorts

Edited by Sweegy One (see edit history)

Fair chance Ottokar is an unknown; he has not spent much time in Brevoy proper and only recently got caught. It is possible, though, he’s been assigned to one of the nobles, who serve as a ‘minder’ of sort for his parole. 

4 hours ago, Nasdaq said:

Fair chance Ottokar is an unknown;... . It is possible, though, he’s been assigned to one of the nobles, who serve as a ‘minder’ of sort for his parole. 

I don't think that would be Killian, being that he's been doing his performance thing... He's a Brevic Outcast.

However... Killian was affiliated to a noble house, and is himself an outcast of sorts... And they are both 'Dwarven', I could almost see that narrative, going forward... Assigning your parole to the other Dwarf, rehabbing Ottokar as a sort of parole for Killian as well... 

Hmmm... 

Personally, I am really feeling the 'we were recruited, sponsored, to fill a team. Fill an expedition. 

Various members of the council, could have proposed several candidates, and we were selected, nominated to go forward. 

Like a headhunting firm, we were interviewed and auditioned and didn't even necessarily know it. 

In such event, perhaps there was even an NPC contact who each of us met recently. Someone sent by council, to fele out the candidates? 

We could each write that npc, who came to assess our PC. 

For me, that could have been the NPC Bard who I imagined invited me to this shindig. 

(although for Ottokar, I can really see it being a bit of a voluntold situation, prison or expedition? Good choice?) 

This ^^^

Different houses, different priorities. They pushed certain individuals to be part of this "experiment." As 'candidates', we could even have been given secret agendas to accomplish for our respective Houses.

It might be interesting to hear from bwatford why these particular PCs made the cut, from an in-world perspective.

Indeed. 

I do try not to fall Deeply down that rabbit hole.

Ive seen his process more closely in some games, and collabs, And it can be very detailed, very meticulous... And it can rest on one or two razor edge lines. 

For example if one or two characters jump out, he might build a party around them. 

This campaign has its Fey wilderness vibes, its lost Atlantis ancient Civ ruins, all the things it can grow to become, 

But starts very unassuming.

We are explorers? Charting the wilderness, trying to survive mundane dangers and somewhat pitiful Bandit thugs, 

While trying not to wander too far afield, into truly dangerous regions... Until we at least have our feet on the ground? 

I can say, from what I've read, these characters feel like rookies, with a step or two above common villagers... NPC commoners... But not yet Heroes. 

They feel like they have room to grow. 

And we are not all carbon copies. We are not all from one temple, one house. Etc. So, we have some, as you said, agendas. 

The Surtova Nobles are giving me some inspiration at the moment... 

If the pair of Anya and Nicolay, are leaning into the narrative of having signed up for this expedition, but needing to recruit allies...?? 

That's what I'm getting from the Surtova at the moment... 

I don't know if we represent enough of the houses, to fully pull off that idea though, of each being a candidate from one house... 

Too many houses, and too many surtovas? Perhaps? 

1 hour ago, taurelin said:

This ^^^

Different houses, different priorities. They pushed certain individuals to be part of this "experiment." As 'candidates', we could even have been given secret agendas to accomplish for our respective Houses.

It might be interesting to hear from bwatford why these particular PCs made the cut, from an in-world perspective.

Love. 

From Discord. 

Nicolay player suggested that he and Killian have been acquainted previously. 

They have good compatibility, and have become friends and Wingmates when they be...

"Out in the club... All eyes on us..." 

Haha. 

Also I believe that young Orchard had mentioned the probability of having met Killian through the merchant guild in past. As Killian came up in the Garess industry, and Orchard gets merchant runs that might not always be glamorous... Raw mining commodities are probably, less glamorous / prestigious. 

(that might be a point for us to work on too... Our future interests in such)