How do you guys run your OSR campaigns?

cailano

11 hours ago, cailano said:

Don't make your narrative important to the game. Half the time your players won't remember it anyway. RPGs are like musicals. The plot is to get from one song to the next. If the songs themselves are catchy and the dance numbers are memorable, everyone has a good time.

But, my games tend to be more about what's important to a character. If I develop plotlines to be explored, and that character dies (potentially during one), it kind of kills the plot.

I do see your point though. I like the idea that it's a musical, in that you really are there for the good parts in between. I am just such a perfectionist about some things that I want the whole musical to be the good part. While the choreography and voices may be excellent, I also want an overall story to be told that moves you. That's, ultimately, why I write. That's all a bit different at the table (when things happen on the fly often), but I've still got my bullet points of things I want to curb the game back to.

Uhhhh... Sorry, this turned into general game theory or something. LMAO.

This is why OSR will be good for me, to fee something new and different about gaming. And so far I'm having a blast!