Act 1, Part 3: Into the Fire

Kavonde

image.jpeg.882c7c4a7f55e961e8780de2b9888c10.jpegLerris Ninthborne

health-normal.svgHP: 19/20 |checked-shield.svg AC: 17 | awareness.svg Per: + 4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3 | Will: +7 | Hero: 0 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

Like a wet dog that had just been freshly bathed, Lerris shook his head to loose the water he had coated himself with before running to help put out the fire. After his long hair was sufficiently free of both water and soot, he brushed it back with a single hand and reequipped his sword and shield. He made his way back to the main hall along with Antonia, looming through the doorway as he peered in to see the soldiers and captain.

"Antonia's right, on every count." He said, his eyes looking over the soldiers to mark out those who might have been injured. Bringing those would have been a bad idea. They needed men who could fight after all, not men who would just die. "We've got good numbers now, enough to swing any ongoing fight into our favor. And from the sounds of it there's plenty of that ahead. So we shouldn't dally."

As Lerris finished speaking, he coughed out a bit. Some last remaining vestiges of the smoke expelling itself from his lungs. Then when he was all proper once again, he turned down the hallway. Nodding for any who could to follow along. Then he stomped down the hallway, pulling his sword and shield to the ready. 

Rolls

SOCIETY - 7 (bleh)

LORE BRIGANDRY - 6 (BLEH)

splgZTH.pngZakon Malheur
HP: 14/14 | AC: 13 | Perception: +6
Fort: +3 | Ref: +3 | Will: +6
Hero Points: OOO | Focus Points: O

Zakon's role during the fire-fighting was largely to oversee the efforts of others but he did duck into the smoke with the sleeve of his robe covering his mouth, at least once. When he did, he also ducked into the shrine for a breath of fresh air but did not linger in the room. Watching the group work together in a somewhat orderly fashion to solve a problem, renewed his hope for their continued cooperation in the Greenbelt. He joined Antonia and Lerris when they gathered the remaining warriors and prepared to advance past the smoke-filled hallways to the next conflict.

spacer.pngVerne Greencloak | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +3  Ref: +4  Will: +9 | Hero Points: 2/3

Shardik | HP: 16/16 | AC: 15 | Fort: +5  Ref: +5  Will: +4spacer.png

With the fire out, Verne drinks deeply from his last bucket of water.  "Are we off to find the other two giants, then?"  He makes a little chirruping noise, and Shardik stops his aimless wandering, to join the group.

"I'm so hungry.  I hope someone will give us good breakfast after we're done saving the day."

Antonia considers possible suspects. There's one very obvious one: House Surtova, the current rulers of Brevoy, who undoubtedly suspect Lady Aldori's independent leanings and whose interests will be harmed if her plan to tame the Stolen Lands succeeds. Plus, these assassins, the Black Tears, operate out of northern Brevoy--specifically Port Ice, House Surtova's ancient seat of power. It's an obvious conclusion to draw. Too obvious.

The agents of House Surtova, she knows, are no amateurs. If they wished to see Lady Aldori dead, they wouldn't have thrown an army of deranged addicts and a handful of giants at her manor and hoped for the best. And if they did, perhaps as a distraction from a more surgical strike, they wouldn't have used agents that could be so easily tied back to them. No, this smells to her like a frame-up; and while she can't say with any certainty who the real culprits might be, they almost certainly aren't friends to the Surtovas.

(Lerris draws the conclusion that it must be nobles engaging in their usual petty noble squabbles.)

At Antonia's request for him and his remaining guards to join the group, the knight shakes his head wearily. "I fear we'd be more a hindrance than a help in the tight quarters ahead. Not to mention that most of us are walking wounded. Besides, we've heard more of the assassins outside; I don't think they were expecting all the side entrances to be sealed by Lady Jamandi's security system. We'll remain here and keep any more of them from getting through and striking you from behind. But that said... " He reaches down to the belt at his side and produces a simple wooden war horn with a brass mouth piece. "If you run into more trouble than you think you can handle, sound this, and I'll send everyone I can spare your way."

"I'm afraid," Valerie adds, "that I must also remain behind. There are already sixteen of you, after all. And two bears! How odd. I did not know the young druid had a twin..."

Amiri grunts an agreement. "Yeah, my leg's slowin' me down a little. Besides, these grunts are gonna need a real fighter if more of those creeps in black bust in."

Harrim shrugs. "I can go with you, or I can stay with them. It doesn't matter. But my legs are rather short, so it might be hard for me to get close and hit anyone. Or get hit instead of one of you."

Linzi looks back and forth between your two groups. "Um... I'll keep going with you all, if you want me to. Oh, and I have an apple, if you'd like it," she adds, offering the fruit to Verne.

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

health-normal.svgHP: 19/20 |checked-shield.svg AC: 17 | awareness.svg Per: + 4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3 | Will: +7 | Hero: 0 | Languages: Common (Taldane), Hallit, Skald

"If you're so hungry you can have whatever my share is after this is all done in over with." Lerris offered Verne, he never ate the night or morning after killing. Just as a small sign of respect for the dead. Not that corpses had any way to appreciate being respected, of course.

"I figured it might be something like that." Lerris sighed as he finally finished his count of the guards.  Indeed, none of them were fit for more than holding this position. So much for the reconvene and counterattack plan. "Fair enough. I wouldn't ask you or any of your men to die when they could very well live in stead. At the very least it'll be good to know that this position behind us is held. No daggers aimed at our back at least."

Lerris eyes swiveled to Harrim, and then to Linzi. Both would be useful to have. But then he considered the fact that it might be prudent to leave the soldiers here with someone who could take care of their wounds. "I think Harrim ought to stay, help heal whoever needs it most here." 

Once everyone is ready and in position, Lerris pushes open the next set of double doors.

Drifting coils of smoke waft in the air of this finely furnished room. Padded chairs and side tables are set along the west wall and a thick burgundy carpet covers most of the floor. Oil paintings hang on the walls, and shelves contain statuettes and other small art pieces.

Sprawled on the floor, unconscious and covered in soot, is the Great and Powerful Tartuccio.

uc?export=download&id=1dRpitT3CcasYF2DNUtVf9NtjWbs0fRXE

Millanius the Arcane - Human Thaumaturge 1

HP: 17/17 | AC: 18 | Perception: +5

Fort: +6 | Ref: +6 | Will: +5  | Conditions: None

ResourcesCharacter:
-Hero Points: 2/3
-Focus Points: 0/0

Items:
-
| Spells/ScrollsScrolls:
-

Cantrips: 
-

Level 1:
-
| Skills*Acrobatics: +6
*Arcana: +3
Athletics: +1
Crafting: +0
*Deception: +8
*Diplomacy1020: +8
*Esoteric Lore: +7
Intimidate: +5
Medicine: +0
*Nature: +3
*Occultism: +3
*Performance: +7
*Politics Lore: +3
*Religion: +3
Society: +0
*Stealth: +6
Survival: +0
*Thievery92225: +6

*Trained

Consumables: 2x Tanglefoot Bags, 2x PoL Healing

Effects: 

"Ah, Tartuccio. Fallen before your time, poor gnome. Rude and unruly and pompous, but I'm certain he had some good qualities too we didn't have time to discover. Perhaps we can fabricate some should we eulogize him. I'm sure he'll be missed by... well, someone, somewhere." He continues on toward the sounds of battle.

OOC/Actions

Other: 

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3: 

Reaction: Recognize Spell

Free: 

Familiar/Other Modifiers

Stitches the Monkey | 5/5HP | AC18

Per: +5/Fort: +6/Ref: +6/Will: +5

-Low-light Vision

-Manual Dexterity

-Valet

-25' Land Speed

Effects:

-15' Aura, Circ bonus to Dip/Int/Dec & +1 v. Fear

-Success v Mental is crit success

-+2 Damage from empowerment

-Activate any Scroll

Gear

Worn

-Clothing (Winter)

-Studded Leather Armor

-Backpack

-Belt Pouch

-Thieves' Tools

-Ringy Thingy*

-Bandolier

Weapons

-Sword Cane

-Light Mace*

-Dagger

-5x Darts

-Scepter (Regalia)

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll

-Lantern, hooded

-Rations (1 week)

-Rope (50')

-5x Sacks

-5x Torches

-Waterskin

Bandoliers

-3x Flasks Oil

-Manacles (poor)

-5x Sacks

-2x Tanglefoot bags*

-2x Lesser PoH*

Belt/Pouch

-10x Chalk

-Flint and Steel

-Playing Cards

-Thieves' Tools

-Soap

-2x Candles

-Ring of Keys

-39gp (38gp 6sp 3cp)*

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 16 | health-normal.svg HP: 19/19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +6 | Ref: +6 | Will: +6 | Hero: 1/1 | FP: 1/1

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +6 | Ref: +7 | Will: +4

Thomas emerges from the smoke with his fae servant close behind.

"Nay, he breathes yet, mair's th'pity," Thomas sighs, doleful at Tartuccio's continued relative well-being. "Tis naught that cannae be mended, like. Be there a law makin' his kind o'arrogance a killin' offense, Judge? Or will ye clipe on the lad who does th'welrd a favor an' drops a dagger point-first on' th'Tart Greatuccio?"

Thomas sighs, doleful at Tartuccio's continued relative well-being. He kneels down, makes a show of double-checking for a pulse (not bothering to put his fingers in the correct place), and rifles through the gnome's pockets.

OOC/mechanics

Name
Lore: Underworld - Thomas
1d20+3 9
Society - Eidolon
1d20+4 20

As soon as Thomas touches him, the Great and Powerful Tartuccio begins coughing and sputtering dramatically and sits up. He peers around at all of you for a moment, then puffs himself out as much as possible and offers you perhaps the least genuine smile you have ever seen. "Aha! I knew you had the hearts of true heroes, even despite your disrespectful words! The Great and Powerful Tartuccio owes you all his gratitude for waking him before these assassins could stumble upon him during his unconsciousness! Indeed, in my valiant attempts to disrupt the villains' plans, I inhaled far too much smoke and, without your intervention, surely would have lain there on the ground, untouched, until this matter resolved itself one way or the other."

He looks behind you all, down the significantly less-smoke-filled hallway. "Excellent! You've cleared the way! Great and Powerful though Tartuccio may be, it is very important for even a mighty sorcerer to consult with a medical professional after being rendered unconscious by smoke inhalation. I shall set about finding one, and then, once I am given a clean bill of health, preferably reinforced by a second opinion, I shall rejoin you all and aid you in laying waste to this foul brigands!"

1079115390_AntoniaTKN.png.82fdea90cef4be4512af0c85ea13c109.pngAntonia Rullianus

checked-shield.svgAC: 17 | health-normal.svg HP: 19/19 | awareness.svg Per: +5 | Fort: +4 | Ref: +8 | Will: +5 | Hero: 2/3 | Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Antonia couldn't help but crack a smile at the gnome lying unconscious in the center of the room. "Well well, I wonder where all the corpses of his slain enemies went? Or perhaps they were incinerated into mere motes of dust before his powerful spellcasting." She chuckles quietly to herself and strode confidently into the room as Thomas 'checked for a pulse' on the gnome. "Yes, Surely the great and powerful Tart-man will not fall here. His destiny has yet to unfold." Her sarcastic suspicions were confirmed as the Gnome rose up and explained the circumstances leading up to his current predicament. She nodded along with his words with a half-smile, "Yes, even great legendary heroes must understand the importance of a second opinion when it comes to medical affairs. Go then, dear legend, see your doctor. We will hold off the forces of evil in your stead and await your grand return...in a week or so." She moved towards the door that would inevitably lead to combat and stood to the side of the frame. The fencer stood with one hand on her hip, one leg crossed in front of the other, and with her chest puffed out confidently. With a few quick swipes from her rapier to test the weight, she pointed its end towards the closed door. "Come, now. As before. Let us see it done."

"Good to see you're alright, great and powerful Tarantino." Lerris said as he maneuvered across the room. Blowhard prick or not, it wouldn't be right to leave a man dying if he could help it. But he was glad to see that he didn't need any outright assistance. 

"We left our cleric behind with the soldiers just down that hallway. If you need first aid, and some protection to boot, that's where you'll find it. Otherwise you're welcome to come with us if you fancy expressing your gratitude as a guest to the swordlord." Lerris explained as he braced just before the door, readying to swing it open once everyone was in position. 

Tartuccio eyes Antonia and Lerris, not quite sure whether or not he's being mocked. After a moment, though, he straightens, chants a few words and makes a little gesture with his hands, and suddenly all the soot falls from his clothing and into a pile at his feet, the vibrant purple hues restored to their glory. "The Great and Powerful Tartuccio requires no protection," he says haughtily, "but I am sure the guards and assorted commoners will feel safer in my presence."

He turns to leave, but hesitates. "Before I go, I suppose I shall inform you: while I was heroically battling the flames, I saw several of the assassins, including one more finely equipped than the rest of the rabble, enter the room to the north. You may wish to be cautious if you intend to go that way, at least until the unmatched arcane power of Tartuccio stands once more at your side."

splgZTH.pngZakon Malheur
HP: 14/14 | AC: 13 | Perception: +6
Fort: +3 | Ref: +3 | Will: +6
Hero Points: OOO | Focus Points: O

Thomas's inquiry about the legal standing for an execution was met with an unamused stare and a shaking of the judge's head. There was, of course, no law against 'Arrogance' here in Brevoy. If there had been, Rostland would never have become home to quite so many headstrong duelists and adventuring vagabonds. At the very least, a trial would be required - even if an honorable 'trial' by combat. Chelish law, on the other hand, contained a number of creative avenues to arrive at the sentence Thomas had in mind but the crime of 'Arrogance' was not one of them. 'Pride' was, after all, one of the Seven Holy Virtues. Thankfully, this was not Cheliax and Zakon seemed relieved when the gnome regained consciousness and resumed his intolerable self-righteous prattle.

That relief soon became annoyance when Lerris invited the Great and Powerful Tartuccio to join them and to take credit for 'helping' secure the manor. "Indeed," Zakon said, as though begrudgingly agreeing with what both Lerris and Antonia had said. "The choice is yours." Zakon did not want Tartuccio to join them but what he wanted rarely mattered. What mattered was that he could imagine how such an unfortunate situation might be turned to his advantage. "I, literally, cannot advise you on which is safer." Thankfully, the gnome chose to join the other defeated guests. 

y0rRwhX.png

Thomas of Nowhere | checked-shield.svgAC: 16 | health-normal.svg HP: 19/19 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +6 | Ref: +6 | Will: +6 | Hero: 1/1 | FP: 1/1

Æthelflæd | checked-shield.svgAC: 18 | awareness.svg Per: +4 | Fort: +6 | Ref: +7 | Will: +4

Thomas shifts to a broad, friendly grin quite seamlessly.
"Och, dinnae be sae humble!" Thomas helps the gnome stand, then pats him on the back. "Surely th'Great Tarpuccino is nae tae be laid low by a whiff o'dingy air? Suren th'Lady Aldori will expect tae be saved by the best!"

They shoot Æthelflæd a quick look, and with the air of a servant enduring a ritual humiliation, the fae steps closer.
"Yes. Surely she will bestow her gratitude and her rewards on those who are, in fact, present for those who go above and beyond their guest-obligation..."

"I, fer one, am mighty afeart tae face the leader o'this rabble wi'out such arcane puissance," Thomas insists, apparently fully commited to his new role.

OOC/mechanics

Diplomacy time!

Name
roll
1d20+7 10
roll
1d20+6 13

Tartuccio, halfway through turning away from the group, his fingers holding his cape so as to facilitate a dramatic twirl of the fabric as he does, pauses. He glances back over his shoulder at Thomas and Æthelflæd, clearly giving their shameless flattery the serious consideration with which a king might ponder the advice of his trusted vizier. "You make an excellent point," he reluctantly admits. "Yes, perhaps the Great and Powerful Tartuccio should heroically delay his medical diagnosis so as to be at hand should you, his... basically competent underlings, require him to turn the tide of battle for you. I should warn you, however, that I have employed many of my most powerful spells already! What remains, the Great and Powerful Tartuccio shall need to conserve for only the greatest threats! But certainly, I can accompany you and provide you with my leadership and tactical prowess."

He straightens, putting his shoulders back, and then imperiously points towards the doors to the south. "Very well! As your leader, I command you to see what is in that room! Perhaps it shall be filled with powerful artifacts which will give you the edge you so desperately need against our foes!"

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)