Map & World Development

DoNotFearToTread

Okay, since we're designing this setting together I've created a blank template map on Inkarnate.

Inkarnate Map Link

I will reach out to each of you with the login details for it.

First thing, you'll want to visit here and then rank your choice for the 3 maps currently up. This is landmass and water only, we'll fill in all the rest as we go. It'll be ranked choice so list each map in your order of preference, with 1 as the most and 3 as the least preferred. Also, note in that post if you would like to incorporate what you and I created in your applications into the world. I was very happy with all of it, myself.

As we further develop the world through backstory and such, feel free to go onto the map and add cities or features. If you're unfamiliar with the site, I'm happy to add items based on the descriptions you provide.

Edited by DoNotFearToTread
Removed email and password. (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

Hmm.

B, C, A

1: B feels like it's at the edge or large sea or body of water, which will allow for coastal towns and then varying terrain further west and south - hints of Karmeikos or the Borderlands, with a small pocket of civilization at the edges of known territory. I like that tension and liminal space, and it works with a couple of my character concepts. I could see the Ravensfell here if others were amenable.

2: C would likely be more built up - feels like a land bridge between larger territories/land masses so absent dangerous flora and fauna I'd expect lots of towns, ports and trade making this great for a urban style campaign. The Ravensfell is probably off the map, one of the two powers held in tension by this trade corridor.

3: A . . . okay, personal bias as I'm from there but my FIRST thought was "Is that Lake Michigan? Am I adventuring in WISCONSIN?" (I mean, it works, Gygax basically turned an atlas 90 degrees and called Lake Geneva Castle Greyhawk on his first maps.) This would be great for a full on hexcrawl but none of us - as yet - seem the domain building sort? Alternatively this might BE the Ravensfell entire, dotted with roving bands of smallfolk and a handful or towns. It feels to broad and open to be widely settled.

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

Currently, it seems C is leading with the low score of 5.

As for 'off the map', I'd envisioned most of our adventure taking place on the map itself but if a twist twists and a turn turns and we suddenly need to visit the Duchy of Somewhereelsia, which we've determined rests to the east of our current map, we will just brew up a new map to tack onto the current one. Keep it nice and fluid and easy to accomodate.

I suppose C does feel like a "corridor" to other areas. It's kind of the middle of these big water areas. It doesn't necessarily have to be devoid of dangerous flora/fauna; perhaps there's an ancient wood that refuses to stay cut down. Maybe there's a big population of Sylvan Elves that defend some sections viciously. Maybe there's a mountain range cutting off trade on one side. (I assume we'll add mountains and the like later?) Maybe the only civilization exists on the water's edges and that's why adventures are needed, because the roads between settlements is rife with danger.

Mostly, I picked C because it has more interesting edges on the landmasses LOL.

Looking at A again, I definitely see Lake Michigan now (I live just under-and-to-the-right of it). The whole thing just feels like way too much land on the left. Maybe adding mountains and such would give it more character?

Looking at B again, I am kind of feeling more pull to it. Definitely more than A now. I just wasn't really sure about the four lakes in the middle. I dunno, geography isn't my strong point.

What I do like, is the idea of putting B and C together; if you look at them on the main screen, they basically could go side-by-side already. That, for some reason, has a very big draw to me.