LPF: Green Fingers - IC posts

Agitha takes an experimental nibble at the charred remains of the exploded ghastly gourd, and pronounces it 'edible, but with a strong taste of sulphur and brimstone'. While it doesn't taste bad as such, it is not something you'd want to eat unless you absolutely had to. Presumably the younger pumpkins are more flavorful, or possibly this was some weird kind of ornamental variety.

Leaving the greenhouse behind, you head North and cross the misty expanse of the lawn until you hit another path. Here and there you see muddy footprints, as if someone or something shambled by in the recent past, but nobody accosts you as you make your way towards the treeline.

Once you enter the woodland, the path becomes more twisty, curving around stony outcrops and tall trees of a wide variety as it starts to climb upward. As you press on, surrounded by dense undergrowth, you realize by the increased light levels ahead that the path you are on is heading towards an opening in the woods.

This turns out to be a pretty pond, about 150 feet or so wide as far as you can tell through the patchy mist, mostly covered in lily-pads. To the left is a dense reedbed, its blades rustling gently in the breeze. You then realize that the path continues straight across the pond by means of a floating walkway, connected to some small islands in the middle of the pond. The walkway has some guide ropes alongside it, presumably as a means of preventing travelers from falling in. Given the dense undergrowth around here, the path across the pond is the obvious route forward. A small sidepath leads to a wooden shack of some sort, sitting on the edge of the pond.

Day2_Pond1.jpg.8ea9c7243c7216dce5d3f5cd8017a073.jpg

Manor_grounds1.jpg.85853c425ecff346251540b717d9d71b.jpg

Belyr's Status

Belyr Cooper
Male Chaotic Good Half-Elf (Shoreborn) Cleric, Level 3, Init 3, HP 22/24, Speed 40 ft. base, 30 ft. in Armor
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus +2   
MW Scimitar +5 (1d6+4, 18-20/x2)
MW Breastplate (+6 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 13
Condition Magic Weapon

2+1/3+1 Domain Level 1 Spells Available

2+1/2+1 Domain Level 2 Spells Available

Belyr Cooper
spacer.png

"Ah - water, something more friendly and familiar," says Belyr with a genuine smile. After a moment he frowns, though. "I'll bet the lily pads try to drown us. I shouldn't be bad off, but all of you might have more to worry about. Let's check out the shack and then maybe go around?"

OoC

Belyr is half-sea-elf. While he cannot breath underwater, he's an excellent swimmer and not afraid of drowning, since he's also a cleric of Callisto. However, the other PCs may not be so comfortable or fatalistic. What do you all want to do?

Agitha.jpg         Agitha, Rat-folk witch

"Something will try to eat us. Guaranteed. Can anyone cast summon monster? Sort of like baiting a hook. I'll have to add that to my list."

Agitha starts scribbling in her tiny notebook.

Stats

Agitha Basset F N/N Ratfolk Witch, Level 3, Init 3, Speed 20
Abilities Str 8, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 14
HP 20/20
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16
 10 +4 Mage Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Deflect
CMD 12
Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3
Attacks, Base Attack Bonus 1
 Dagger 1 (1d4-1, x2)
 Ray of Enfeeblement   (1d6+1 STR, 1 rd/lvl,  )
Condition None
Loot 

spacer.png

Raphael Statblock

Raphael Freese
Male CG Human Oracle, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 6, [B]HP[/B] 22/23, [B]Speed[/B] 20
[B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 15, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 14, [B]CMD[/b] 17, [B]Fort[/B] 2, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 4, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2   
[B]  Quarterstaff [/B] +1 (1d6, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] +1 (1d4, x2)
[B]  Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 10, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18
[B]Condition[/B] None
Revelation: Brain Drain - 1x/Day, Will Save Single Target, 3d4 Damage and then can Full Round to pull info from target mind via Knowledge Skill Check for CHA rounds+1
Revelation: Focused Trance - CHA/Day, 1d6 rounds time for +20 to knowledge check
Revelation: Sidestep Secret - CHA replaces DEX for AC

"Oh, I can definitely cast that spell." Freese spoke up at the question with a dry tone. "But honestly, anything I summon is going to be terribly weak and will last for maybe half a minute at most before it poofs back to wherever I brought it from. If you feel like we're coming up on a trap, I'll be happy to cast it to test it out." He shrugged. "Would you like me to conjure up a bird to fly along the walkway and see if anything tries to kill it?"

"A bird? I was thinking something more Ratfolk sized. We want to tease it out and have it attack. A bird probably won't do the trick."

Stats

HP 20/20
CMD 12
Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3
 Dagger 1 (1d4-1, x2)
Condition None
Loot 

Belyr's Status

Belyr Cooper
Male Chaotic Good Half-Elf (Shoreborn) Cleric, Level 3, Init 3, HP 22/24, Speed 40 ft. base, 30 ft. in Armor
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus +2   
Condition Magic Weapon

Belyr Cooper
spacer.png

"If we were to catch anything by 'fishing' with some summoning magic, would we just skip it by going around or try to kill it? Cause I can be the bait - better prepared with some magic - if we intend to clear out the pond regardless..." offer Belyr, his voice confident but his expression serious as he peers out over the water...

OoC

Perception check to see if there is any indication of what kind of threat he could expect if he crossed the pond...

Name
Perception
1d20+12 20

Posted (edited)

Killesberg_park_Stuttgart_pond.jpeg.8b949923fdd6b54055619a2a294b6a5e.jpeg

From his position at the edge of the treeline, Belyr takes in the view across the pond, scanning for potential hazards. There is no obvious evidence of anything untoward as far as he can see. The presence of the lilies across most of the pond suggests that the water cannot be too deep, no more than seven or eight feet at the most, except possibly towards the eastern edge as there are no lily pads visible there. He does note that the islands in the pond seem strangely symmetrical, and concludes that they might be artificially constructed. There are some park benches on the largest island, presumably a place where one might sit and admire the water lilies better. For a moment, he thinks he notices something 'off', but then dismisses it as he can't find it again, and nothing seems to be disturbing this idyllic scene.

OOC

@DarkOne7141981 I cannot believe we both rolled 20s! Clearly, that's them exhausted for the remainder of this encounter.

Day2_Pond1.jpg.8ea9c7243c7216dce5d3f5cd8017a073.jpg

Edited by Sandstar (see edit history)
Name
Stealth check
1d20+12 20

5QDDzZp.jpg?1

Ashril Swiftstride, halfling ranger

Ashril notes that whoever created the scene had a good eye for nature, at least when they weren't creating living plant monstrosities. Dismounting Bill, he starts moving towards what he presumes is a door to the boathouse, watching the area closely and being as quiet as possible.

Actions

Ministats

Ashril Swiftstride
AC: 20 (Touch 13, Flatfooted 15) (Size +1, Dex +3, Armor +5, Shield +1)
HP: 37/37 Initiative: +5
Perception : +11 Sense Motive: +2
CMB: +2 CMD: 15
Fort: +7 Reflex: +8 Will: +4
*+2 vs fear
Current Weapon in Hand: Bow
Current Conditions in Place:

Spells (CL 1)
1st level (1/day): Longstrider

Potions: Cat's Grace (2), Cure Light Wounds (2)

Bill the brave war pony (animal companion)
AC: 15 (Touch 13, Flatfooted 12) (Dex +3, Nat Armor +2)
HP: 22/22
Perception : +7
CMB: +4 CMD: 17
*+4 vs trip
Fort: +7 Reflex: +6 Will: +2
Current Weapon in Hand: Hooves (x2) (+4, 1d3+3)
Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent, Endurance, Run
Tricks: Combat Training (Attack, Come, Defend, Down, Guard, Heel), Aid
Animal Companion Buffs: Link, Share Spell
Current Conditions in Place:

Name
Stealth
1d20+14 1
Perception
1d20+11 13

Belyr's Status

Belyr Cooper
Condition Magic Weapon

Belyr Cooper
spacer.png

"What is...nevermind. I thought I saw something..." says Belyr unconfidently. He turns to see Ashril investigate the boathouse and continues to look out at the pond. "I'm all for some distrust right now, but I cannot imagine a boat is a better way to cross this pond than the footpath. Once you're done checking there, I'll lead the way across..."

OoC

Waiting on the results of Ashril's investigation. After that, we can move forward with Belyr cautiously beginning to cross the pond using the path.

Ashril cautiously advances towards the wooden shack at the water's edge, trying not to make a sound. The building appears made out of wood, a bit weatherworn and in need of a new layer of paint, with a simple wooden latch on the door. Opening this door reveals that the shack is fully open to the side facing the pond; it contains a wooden rowing boat with oars inside, tied on and ready to be launched. The boat looks in good shape and seems like it would accommodate two people without difficulty. Other than that, Ashril does not notice anything untoward inside the shack or out on the pond.

Day2_Pond2.jpg.ed9e5e97ec2ef5e25a49b6e98cf86b20.jpg

"Well, now we have options. We can cross using the walkway or using the boat. I think I prefer the walkway."

Stats

HP 20/20
CMD 12
Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3
 Dagger 1 (1d4-1, x2)
Condition None
Loot 

Belyr's Status

Belyr Cooper
Condition Magic Weapon

Belyr Cooper
spacer.png

"Definitely," says Belyr with finality as he begins to prowl across the walkway, looking around him as he slowly advances...

OoC

Moving at half-speed, with scimitar drawn and looking in all directions as he goes. I assume taking 10 with Perception is allowed for a 22. I will also roll below.

Name
Perception
1d20+12 17

Posted (edited)

Belyr slowly steps onto the wooden walkway leading out to the first island. The wood is reasonably solid, more like a wooden bridge just above the waterline, held up by sturdy posts placed every ten feet or so, connected with ropes. That said, the gaps between the planks are wide enough for Belyr to note the black, peaty water below. With not much in the way of sunlight to reach below the surface, the water seems particularly gloomy and foreboding today.

As he scans the water around him, Belyr's paranoia is rewarded as he suddenly notices movement in the water near the shore up ahead. Among a clump of lilypads next to the left bank of the nearest island, some additional leaves have just appeared on the surface. Their movement is subtle, causing but the faintest ripple on the water surface, but the observant cleric spots it. From this distance, the leaves appear just like the multitude of lilypads around it, except for what appears to be a row of spiky points around their rims. The others are too far away to have noticed this, at least for the moment.

OOC

@DarkOne7141981, Belyr notes the movement in the square marked with a small 'x', to the left of the island. Depending on what he does next, we will all go to Initiative.

Day2_Pond3.jpg.110b9a8ed8f28621b47c7d7b2ce416e7.jpg

Edited by Sandstar (see edit history)
Name
Stealth check
1d20+12 6

Belyr's Status

Belyr Cooper
Male Chaotic Good Half-Elf (Shoreborn) Cleric, Level 3, Init 3, HP 22+6/24, Speed 40 ft. base, 30 ft. in Armor
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 6 (+1 vs Fear), CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus +2   
MW Scimitar +6 (1d6+4, 18-20/x2)
Condition Aid (+1 to hit and vs Fear, + some temporary HPs - included above)

1+1/2+1 Domain Level 2 Spells Available

Belyr Cooper
spacer.png

"There! Something is moving there, near the island!" says Belyr urgently, pointing with his scimitar in the direction of the approaching...plant? "Some of the lily pads looks different, and they definitely moved. Either something is below them or they moved independent of the water..."

OoC

I'll plan to roll initiative as Belyr first casts Aid on himself and 5-ft steps forward.

Edited by DarkOne7141981 (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+3 18
Aid temporary HPs
1d8+3 3

"Good eyes, I think," she says as she scans the area for the problem.

Stats

HP 20/20
CMD 12
Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3
 Dagger 1 (1d4-1, x2)
Condition None
Loot 

Edited by miteke_mw (see edit history)
Name
init
1d20+3 18