Jorlin Bellowrock, Gnome Druid

Trelane

Jorlin Bellowrock, Gnome Druid

Gnome2.JPG.8275324a2b971f1ebcbfc2e5c95672c2.JPG                                                              His Trusty Mount and Animal Companion, the Monitor Lizard 'Snappy'

lizard mount.JPG

Background: Jorlin was an assistant to the Zookeeper at his town. He was very good at taking care of the animals and even healing them if injured, drawing on magical powers to assist him. One day, he was approached by a mysterious stranger who made several peculiar inquiries. At first, the stranger’s questions seemed odd: how might forgotten history nevertheless shape the present, whether an insect hive mind could be manipulated at a distance, and so on. The stranger seemed pleased with the responses and said Jorlin would find study at the Magaambya enlightening, announcing that he was sponsoring Jorlin to attend. Jorlin never saw this mysterious person again, but now he is here at the Magaambya, with more questions than answers about his future. (adding quick identification skill feat and trained in insect lore). Jorlin's mount Snappy has a favorite food. Insects !  Jorlin somehow thinks the stranger seemed to like that.

Character sheet:

https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=373533

image.png.ea1a24d04161bddd2a2979205860d943.png

Young Monitor Lizard 1 N Medium Minion Animal

Perception +4; low-light vision, scent (imprecise) 30 feet

Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +6, Survival +4

Str +3, Dex +2, Con +2, Int -4, Wis +1, Cha +0

Items Unarmored, Tack, Saddlebags

AC 15; Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +4 HP 16

Speed 30 feet

Melee Jaws +6 , Damage 1d8+3 P 

Additional Specials mount

Spells and Feat Actions

Cantrips

Electric Arc     Gouging Claw    Detect Magic     Dancing Lights     Stabilize

Innate Cantrip  Shield   (Heritage Wellspring Gnome) 

Innate Cantrip  Guidance     

Level 1

Heal  

Magic Fang

Focus Spell: Heal Animal

Feat Actions

Battle Medicine

Shield Block

Edited by Trelane (see edit history)

@hoverfrog

Question, for First World magic it says this:  " Your connection to the First World grants you a primal innate spell, much like those of the fey. Choose one cantrip from the primal spell list. You can cast this spell as a primal innate spell at will. A cantrip is heightened to a spell level equal to half your level rounded up. "

Lets say for example I were to choose electric arc. I can cast that spell at will as a +1 hightened spell, meaning a first level spell? So it would be like this?  Heightened (+1) The damage increases by 1d4. And I can cast that spell at will - any number of times?

Did some more edits and read the player's guide. Jorlin's mount the monitor lizard has a favorite food - insects !

Edited by Trelane (see edit history)

Heightened spells are cast at the highest level spell slot available to the caster. Normally a non-caster doesn't have spell slots so innate spells are cast at the highest level spell slot you'd have if you were a caster. i.e. spell level 1 for caster level 1 and 2, spell level 2 for caster level 3 and 4, etc.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:06 PM, Trelane said:

@hoverfrog I think he is ready for review.

Question: Can the cantrip shield be used in addition to having a physical shield or is it one or the other?

You only need to Raise a Shield once in a round because it counts for the entire round that you have raised it. You also only have one reaction so you can't Shield Block more than once in a round. Also they are both circumstance bonuses so you'd only take the better one. I suppose if you had more than one reaction, like a fighter, and spent two actions raising a shield and casting shield then you could Shield Block twice but you can already Shield Block twice with a physical shield. If it was destroyed on the first hit then this would be OK.