OOC - Kingdom Squad

10 minutes ago, Rumrunner said:

Failed 2 spells, but then Merida's lack of aptitude for magic is cannon, she usually skips those classes to go shooting.

Oh, that's too bad. I wrote my post after seeing the result of the first one. Pretty sure you can't use Guidance to help yourself, I'm afraid.

Is it possible to help out, somehow, @SMARTAgentKC? I know of no option other than the Help action.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

11 hours ago, artsmythe said:

OOC, where did your characters study and train?

In my mind, Mulan is doing this mission instead of what happened in Mulan 2, so she's pretty much only done her training in the imperial army. I picture her warlock abilities more as an extension of that training or the result of her ancestors watching over her than as something she learned separately by studying. Tbh the only reason I made her a warlock to begin with was so she could have Mushu as a pact of the chain familiar.

I've already spent almost all of Mulan's starting gold, so she'll have to wait to learn any new spells.

54 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

If it wasn't for the lack of water flavor, I'd take Find Steed. :p

In greek mythology, there are amphibious horses called hippocampi, a potential option if Moana did want to learn Find Steed at some point.

12 minutes ago, morgan_ said:

In my mind, Mulan is doing this mission instead of what happened in Mulan 2, so she's pretty much only done her training in the imperial army. I picture her warlock abilities more as an extension of that training or the result of her ancestors watching over her than as something she learned separately by studying. Tbh the only reason I made her a warlock to begin with was so she could have Mushu as a pact of the chain familiar.

I've already spent almost all of Mulan's starting gold, so she'll have to wait to learn any new spells.

In greek mythology, there are amphibious horses called hippocampi, a potential option if Moana did want to learn Find Steed at some point.

I think hippocampi might be a greater steed, but a giant seahorse might work.

*there are several homebrew versions that would fit either of the greater or basic find steed... guess it would depend on what version, though I feel like mythical creatures fit the greater steed with the griffon and Pegasus etc.

3 hours ago, Rumrunner said:

Merida's the best recruiter 😇

Yup. From now on you're our PR manager.

@SMARTAgentKC I forgot about the limit. That's actually very important to keep track of. Since proficiency bonus does not increase for a long time, can we 'retrain' the spells later?

For my part, I think it'll be better to drop two of the first level spells (Feather Fall & Fog Cloud) and invest in a second level slot instead. Give me some time to think about it.

yes once you max out the number of researched spells you have you can replace a researched spell with a new one once every 24 hours, if your proficiency bonus increases, you can research a new spell without having to replace another researched one.

So many good spells, so few that fit with the water theme. Web? Made of water? Don't think so. Levitate/Fly? Can't see it. Invisiblity? No. Conjure beast? Nope. Enhance Ability? ... I can't quite imagine it.

I'm also wondering if I ought to switch out one of my regular spells with Dispel Magic. It's arguably more important to have in a group than Counterspell or Haste. I'm open for suggestions.

By the way, @Rumrunner, if you get Spike Growth, I have a killer combination with you. Water Cannon pushes creatures up to 60 feet away. If that's through a Spike Growth field... well, sucks to be them. I can also learn the spell myself, but it's a lot more effective if two characters can combined their efforts to do it in a single round.

On 4/17/2024 at 4:31 AM, SMARTAgentKC said:

Here's the data for the Mage Stone.

Mage Stone - Wonderous Item, Requires Attunement

A bright gemstone that is used as a source of magical power. While attuned to a mage stone, the mage stone can be used in replacement of spell slots to fuel magic spells or other abilities that use spell slots by consuming charges 1 charge per level of spell slot required. A mage stone has a max number of charges equal to the wielder's proficiency bonus times 2. As a bonus action, You can recharge a mage stone attuned by you by using a spell slot of your own restoring 1 charge per spell slot level used up to its max. A mage stone also regenerates 1d3+1 charges daily at dawn.

Wow, that sounds especially useful for Kronk given his limited spell slots! Now he can dish out even more smites! I will be keeping that, then, and the 700 gp.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:53 AM, artsmythe said:

OOC, where did your characters study and train? Up until now, I've not read any backstories to preserve the notion that Mickey has never met any of you before. Where do the princesses learn magic? It seems that everybody, both on Team: Cauldron and Team: Sundial, know some magic. Do they teach magic in the Princess Academy? Do they only teach it in the Mage Towers but courses are open to royalty? Do the various spellcasters study together or do they have separate schools/programs for wizards, warlocks, sorcerers, paladins, druids, clerics, and bards?

That sounds like a perfect thing to explore in-character!

To actually address your question, Kronk is mostly self-taught with some training from his Papi and his Junior Chipmunk training. I always fluff his divine magic as the universe basically handing Kronk a free ball for taking it on the chin for other people so much.

(Btw, recommend watching The Emperor's New Groove at some point. It feels sooo different than a typical Disney movie. Love it or hate it, it's not generic.)

On 4/17/2024 at 4:23 PM, igordragonian12 said:

I'v read the chronicle- really underatted book series, which the disney film try to adapt very quickly.

Try to imagine a disney film about the whole LoTR trilogy in I dont know.

60 minutes?

That's what happens when you literally rip a good 12 minutes of the film out. (No seriously, that's real; go check that out. People used to be CRAZY about film lengths back then.)

14 hours ago, Prehysterical said:

That sounds like a perfect thing to explore in-character!

Thumbs up, I agree!

14 hours ago, Prehysterical said:

(Btw, recommend watching The Emperor's New Groove at some point. It feels sooo different than a typical Disney movie. Love it or hate it, it's not generic.)

I loved it. Particularly the way they used an unreliable narrator.

I took Lesser Restoration since we're a bit short on divine spellcasters. With that paid for, I'm out of funds. I have room for one more, but no cash for it. I'm open for "commissions" (sponsored suggestions), but I'll probably be fine with the current selection.

Alright since everyone seems to be sorted into teams and are generally ready to go, let me just recap the two mission out of character

#1. Cauldron Cacophony - The Black Cauldron is currently being targeted by villainous folk who desire to bring back the god of death Hades. It is imperative that we prevent this, head to Morva and acquire the Cauldron for the royal colleges but beware of both villains and crafty witches who have their own interest in the Cauldron. some magical provisions will be given for this mission.

This mission will be taken by Mickey, Aurora, Eilonwy and Rapunzel.

#2 Sundial Submersion - The Sundial of Cronus has been taken by the Sea Witch Ursula, she now poses a challenge to heroes to liberate it from her underwater lair in the dark sea, deep water navigation, spells, and other materials will be provided for this mission.

This mission will be taken by Merida, Kronk, Moana and Mulan

From their previous missions, Kronk and Merida have these items in their possession.

Potions of Climbing

Oil of Slipperiness

A Jar of Keoghtom's Ointment that currently has 4 doses in it

Goggles of Night Vision (they each have one plus two spares)

Animated Rope of Entanglement - A rope of entanglement that has a bit of a bad attitude.

Merlin will also give group members a choice for being underwater between a Cloak of the Manta Ray or a Helm of Underwater Action

I think you mentioned somewhere that you'll hand out healing potions for free? May I ask how many for each, so I can note it down on the character sheet?

Do the underwater items allow normal actions (like firing Merida's bow) underwater?

For Moana's part; she has both underwater breathing and swim speed, but the cloak gives her an even greater swim speed, so she'll gladly accept that one.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Ayeba said:

I think you mentioned somewhere that you'll hand out healing potions for free? May I ask how many for each, so I can note it down on the character sheet?

Do the underwater items allow normal actions (like firing Merida's bow) underwater?

For Moana's part; she has both underwater breathing and swim speed, but the cloak gives her an even greater swim speed, so she'll gladly accept that one.

Would definitely take the cloak as I'm not sure the helm will fit over Merida curls.

Are the tracking orbs still useful? I have those on my sheet.