Character generation rules here

The Character Questionare.

Step One: The Character Concept

(1) Think of a reason why you character would want to go after the most powerful empire to exist in the Milky Way Galaxy, the Atorian Empire?  Write a background for their reasons, any work. 

(2) How have they managed to find their way onto the Atorian Empire Starship "TRINITY"?

Step Two: Out of Character Stuff

(3) What alien race would you want to play?  (Aliens Unlimited)  Or you could always create your own?

(4) What "power catergory" would you be interested in playing?

(5) How do you feel about the Mega-Hero catergory?

(6) Familiarity with the Atorian Empire? (You as the player, not the character) Familiarity with the Palladium System?

Step Three: Out of Game Quesitons

(7) What types of characters do you like playing?

(8) What types of villians do you like facing off against?

(9) What sort of help would you need to create a HU character?

Respond to these questions in this thread.

Edited by Death_Knight (see edit history)

So I'm mostly planning to do random rolls for most stuff because it comes up with interesting ideas, so some of these will be a bit...vague.

(1) A former experiment/slave/etc of the Empire who was captured (and converted/given their powers, if applicable) as a teenager and forced to work for them for almost a dozen years before their hatred of everything the Empire was doing outweighed their fear and they managed to escape.

(2) Without knowing what the starship's purpose is...maybe stowing away?  It's free travel if they don't get caught, and they know the Atorian protocols.

(3) Not really sure.  If I don't randomly generate my own, maybe Linx or Pyralis.

(4) Preferably one of the ones that gives full-fledged superpowers.

(5) Useful if random generation spits out a character that's far weaker than the others.  Otherwise not very useful (unless we go for a super high-power game and everyone takes it, I guess).

(6) Atorian Empire - I've read the primer in Galaxy Guide.  Palladium - Read the books and applied to various games that either I haven't gotten into or which have died before beginning, so never actually played it.

(7) Heroes.  Which is probably less necessary to specify in Palladium and especially Heroes Unlimited when there are strong encouragements to play good-aligned characters, but still.  Beyond that, generally speaking I prefer to play characters that have some flexibility in what they can do, though that's harder to do in a Palladium game than it is in other systems.

(8) Hmm...I think this is probably easier to answer in terms of what villains I don't want to encounter, which would be abhorrently evil sorts that still manage to get away (I know it's a staple of the genre, but if villains are going to escape - especially if by GM fiat - I'd rather they were more on the comedic side.

(9) Not much really?  I guess maybe answering a few questions about what other sources are allowed and what stuff can be chosen vs randomly rolled.

Edited by Llyarden (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Death_Knight said:

(1) Think of a reason why you character would want to go after the most powerful empire to exist in the Milky Way Galaxy, the Atorian Empire?  Write a background for their reasons, any work. 

(2) How have they managed to find their way onto the Atorian Empire Starship "TRINITY"?

(3) What alien race would you want to play?  (Aliens Unlimited)  Or you could always create your own?

(6) Familiarity with the Atorian Empire? (You as the player, not the character) Familiarity with the Palladium System?

1. The Atorians conquered my planet! But, I was able to infiltrate their forces and become one of their soldiers. The goal is to gradually eliminate and replace superior officers until I can get close enough to the Atorian leadership, destroy them and assume control of the entire Empire!

2. See #1

3. A Reipocian polymorph

4. Psionics (Mega-Hero, preferably)

5. Who doesn't love Mega-Heroes™?

6. Formerly call the Fehrans, they evolved into the greatest empire in the universe. A matriarchy ruled by seven Empresses who install a Duchess to run defeated planets. Their dedication to technology has resulted in the Atorians having the very best tech and their warships easily outperform any other races. (Surprisingly) Atorians look like humans with light-colored mohawks 🤣 I'm super-familiar with Palladium

7. I like characters who are resourceful and chatty

8. The more powerful and arrogant the villain, the better

9. Zero. I'd be glad to help other players

On 4/9/2023 at 2:10 AM, Death_Knight said:

The Character QuestionStep One: The Character Concept

(1) Still making up what race and powers I should choose, the basic idea is that I'd be whoever, but would have seriously disapproved of Atorian atrocities, joined a group officially tied to the Niames Coalition, or not, and started raiding atorian commerce for fun, good deeds and profit. (depending on character's specifics, he might have more personal reasons to hate the Atorians)

(2) my ship was captured, and either TRINITY did it, or prisoners were transferred to it.

(3) I guess I'll choose a race from the Book, likely either a magically endowed one, or one with natural psionics.

(4) most likely some magical or psionic version (I might even create an albino elf like race if I decide to have a magical black sword 😉 )

(5) I could live with such powers, but would have to create the character with that in mind since mega powers don't really enhance wizards.

(6) the Atorian Empire>? I know they are a big and nasty space empire, the rest,  I'll have to learn in game.

but I am rather familiar with Palladium games, I own nearly 225 cm of shlf space just filled with those books

(7) I usually like to have fun powers, in fantasy games, I love wizards of all stripes, and I've loved psionics since that days of AD&D1

(8) depends on the character... I seldom play dyed in the wool good guys, so just villainous villains are not sure to attract my enmity, but if they have something that he loves to hate.... OTOH, I thouroughly hate DMs who tailor villains so they'll step all over the character's weaknesses (like the time when a character had to fight his own teacher, kill his zombified parents, and faced his corrupted beloved sister)

(9)  Got the books (HU 2e, and Aliens Unlimited) so I guess I can manage, I might still need help to adjust the character to campaign specifics.

OK, I've thought it over, and I have shrunk the possibilities... I could play either a humanoid (most likely arismal, darakan, posssibly aluta or shissan), that character would be rather roguish and anti heroic, kind of a guy with rogue skills and extreme MA...

For a more heroic, war oriented character, I would take a totally unhuman character, lilkely from a mineral, insectoid or other 'different' kind of species.

Edited by Svartalf
precisions (see edit history)

(1) Well, my first idea would be to go with a sort of 'found family' concept... and the character would be loyal to the others on their ship, whom they've befriended.

(2) That's a tough one.  I'm a writer, so I'll end up writing a few pages of backstory eventually, but I'm a bit fuzzy on what exactly would work best right now.  Possibly a character from a lower tech world (like Earth, maybe?) being rescued by the crew of the Trinity and deciding to throw in their fate with them?

(3) Would a superhuman Human be out of the question?  Perhaps the survivor of a deep space expedition that got sucked into a wormhole... or maybe just the victim of an intergalactic teleporter accident?  How about a Zentradi Quadrano?  If I had to pick something from Aliens Unlimited, I might go for an Arismal or Atorian (yes, fighting against their own people in the latter case).

(4) I usually go with the "Mutant" power category, although I've done all sorts of character builds over the years.  I'm fond of adding Ninja's and Superspies rules into the mix when it's allowed.

(5) I like Mega Heroes just fine.  It adds some epic scale to the game.  Of course, it can be a bit overwhelming for a new GM or player... use with caution.

One of my favorite characters was a Cosmo-Knight... so I'm not against high power characters.

(6) I really don't have any familiarity with the Atorian Empire.  (Edit, I've read about them in Aliens Unlimited now... highly organized and expansionist Empire, female ruling class, etc...)  I am very familiar with the Paladium system.  My first Heroes Unlimited game was in 1986 or so, and I'd played TMNT before that.  I've played RIFTS, After the Bomb, Heroes Unlimited, Palladium Fantasy, and Robotech since then.  I like games with a lot of variety.

(7) I tend to play heroic characters.  Fight for the greater good... protect the helpless, stand up against oppression... that sort of thing.

(8) I like my villains to swirl their big curly mustaches while they tie innocent children to the train tracks... or for them to be evil faceless hordes.  *shrugs*  I'm fine with shades of grey, but in an HU game I like to play a bit more four color comics style rather than Watchmen.

(9) The only help I'd need would be in setting limits and guidelines.  What books can we use... can we combine ideas from different sources?

Edited by Mirtai (see edit history)

• I'll come back to this after I let things percolate

• Again, I'll come back to this

• I'll have to see if I can find Aliens Unlimited, I'm not familiar with that

• It's been enough years that I don't remember what power categories are in HU.

• Again, will have to look that up.

• Atorian Empire? None. Pallladium system - was my first role playing exposure in the late '80s. I played a lot of Robotech, a little TMNT, and a little HU.

• Anymore, support type characters. 

• villanous villains

• Probably only some clarifications because it's been a long time.

On 4/8/2023 at 7:10 PM, Death_Knight said:

(1) As a member of the Naimese Coalition, my character is the only survivor of a failed mission.  He considers himself an outcast (a Ronin), and can only redeem himself through a great victory or with an honorable death.

(2) As a trained infiltration expert, he has managed to sneak aboard in a hope to gain access to enemy secrets that could lead to his redemption.

(3) A Nattereri Warrior (AU pg 61). EDIT: I didn't know there was a Revised version of AU, though the entry for the Nattereri doesn't appear to have any differences from the old book I own (pg 63 of the Revised AU).

(4) Physical Training, hopefully with the optional abilities from Ninjas and Superspies listed in the AU description (and possibly the bionic implants as well, at least the gill modifications).

(5) It's like a gestalt option for 3e and Pathfinder, meant for games where power level is supposed to be through the roof for whatever reason.  I personally only like those kinds of characters for PvP tournament type games, or those rare games where you are playing established leaders/champions that are meant to act on a global scale.

(6) Just the information in the AU books for the Atorian Empire, and never an in-depth study as this would be my first HU in Space style game; very familiar and experienced with the Palladium system, from TMNT to Rifts and everything in between.

(7) Characters with hero's journeys and/or redemption arcs.  I like 'human' characters (even aliens), complete with flaws, doubts, and real world problems.  I prefer characters with supernatural or mystical abilities (so I would be playing against type, perhaps hoping to add a bit of mystical twist to my character through the Ninjas and Superspies abilities).

(8) I like facing 'human' villains (even aliens), with believable goals, motivations, and personality types.  I prefer smart villains with plans to unravel to those with raw might.

(9) The love and pity of the RNG gods.  Other than that I'm set once you say what rules/books are in use.

Edited by Lord Bayushi (see edit history)

Step One: The Character Concept

(1) Think of a reason why you character would want to go after the most powerful empire to exist in the Milky Way Galaxy, the Atorian Empire? Write a background for their reasons, any work.

A young recruit of the TMC, it’s his job to face off against the most dangerous forces in the galaxy – and none is more dangerous than the Atorian Empire. He’s been sent on his first real mission, to infiltrate, collect intel, and look for opportunities to do them harm.

He was launched from a TMC destroyer in a stealth drop-pod, it got him to the hull of the ship, and he’s used his own powers and equipment to get on board without being noticed.

(3) What alien race would you want to play? (Aliens Unlimited) Or you could always create your own?

Micean

(4) What "power category" would you be interested in playing?

Experiment (he is one of a new breed of TMC operatives, built to deal with the increased threat of the Atorian Empire). Possibly Hardware instead.

(5) How do you feel about the Mega-Hero category?

Doesn’t seem all that crazy to me, given we’re going up against a galactic empire. But it should be everyone or no-one.

I’ve played Palladium off and on since the 90s. Less familiar with the Atorian Empire, I did give it a quick skim and get the general idea, but I honestly would rather know less OOC and learn as my character does.

Step Three: Out of Game Questions

I enjoy straightforward hero types without chips on their shoulders. Even if they’re more covert types, I think that can still work.  I enjoy character growth, but I prefer drama from interacting with the story and events, rather than from internal or interpersonal conflict.

Villains that make me really want to punch them in the face, so it’s all the more rewarding when they get taken down.

I’d have a few questions, but mostly about GM decisions/choices rather than rules help. (In particular about how Aliens Unlimited (1st ed) will interact with 2nd Ed. HU).

Edited by PlotDevice (see edit history)

The Character Questionnaire.

Boarman.jpg.5c6ead02af0a5026b5fd2b339250445e.jpg(1) Think of a reason why you character would want to go after the most powerful empire to exist in the Milky Way Galaxy, the Atorian Empire?  Write a background for their reasons, any work. 

His people's planets were conquered by the Atorian Empire. He is forced to serve the empire as are many of his people. He would like to free them and many other races from the cruelty of the Empire.

Home Planet: Kordur NE0Home Planet name: Kordur NE0

Kordur NE0 was part of a smaller empire that consisted of a dozen planets. The planet had two races that developed on it. The Kordurians, which were almost human in appearance and the Peccarians a race of humanoids with boar like heads and bodies covered in stiff fur. The Peccarians had not developed scientifically and considered a lesser race by the Kordurians. They were basically used as slaves for heavy labor and tasks the Kordurians felt were beneath them.

The Kordurians were an advanced race and had developed space travel and had expanded their little empire by terraforming other planets near them and then colonizing them. They had not encountered any other races, up until the Atorians arrived. And although the Kordurians were and advanced race, their technology was not as advanced and their fleet of spaceships was a lot smaller than the Atorians and they were soon conquered and became part of the Artorian Empire.

It was the Artorians that then decided to experiment on the Peccarians. And through genetic experimentation and cybernetics they advanced the race to make them into a viable soldier for the empire.

Over time and after several near disasters, the Artorians learned that they should not put more than a dozen Peccarians in one place for very long. It seems that when brought together in larger groups they somehow over come the programming/brainwashing they were subjected to and turn on the Artorian captors. On a few occasions they had managed to completely take over the spaceship they were on and the Artorians had to resort to destroying the whole ship.

Kordurians ar slightly shorter than humans, think D&D dwarf, stockier and more heavily muscled. Unlike the dwarf, their faces are smooth like an elves face with no facial hair. Their eyes are lrger and rounder than humans and their ears are smaller and generally lay flat against the sides of the head.

Peccarians are the same size and just as stocky as the Kordurians, but they have the head of a wild boar and most of their body is covered by a coarse fur that ranges from white, grey or brown and sometimes a combination of more than one color.

He is one of the non-Atorian races forced to serve in the military. 

Randomly generated one. His race is a humanoid pig/boar race from a high gravity world.

(4) What "power category" would you be interested in playing?

No idea as I have never played before.

(5) How do you feel about the Mega-Hero category?

No idea as I have never played before.

Not very familiar with either. I have the core book and the Ultimate Aliens book and have read the basics of the Altorians under the race description.

I like to play all types of character. Mostly heroic, but sometimes a bit roguish.

(8) What types of villains do you like facing off against?

All types as long as they are not stupidly stronger than the hero's and we have no chance. 😉

Well, I have the core book and Ultimate Aliens, so I should be able to figure it out, but would welcome any and all help if I get confused or get it wrong.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)