Through the Looking Glass

ArcaneDesperado

Underground Ruins Desktop Wallpapers |3| (AI art) by 3D1viner on DeviantArt

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

Raalk found himself ejected from the gateway with a less than graceful force. The moment he exited the portal though his senses could tell he was not deep underground as before. The air around him was hinted of decay and sulfur. The sky was a sober greyish hue despite there not seeming to be a cloud in the sky.  It was slightly warmer than the spring day in Otari that he had experience before heading below ground. It wasnt exactly summer temperatures, but it was warmer.  There were no animals sounds he could hear in the area.  Towering around the tower were what appeared to be ruins of a fallen and broken temple like structure.  Broken columns of stone and marble covered the ground and lay scattered across the stairs.   A few attempts of flora were trying to grow amid the ruins. It was a sad display of dried leafless trees and briar thorn bushes.  

Edited by ArcaneDesperado (see edit history)

spacer.pngRaalk Gremweld

The feeling of this kind of travel was discomforting, but Raalk didn't have time to dwell on it. Upon arrival through the Gate, the Trollkin immediatly crouched and looked around for any sign of life. Could anyone have noticed his arrival ? After a couple of seconds, he then quickly darted to a slightly less conspicuous position, trying to hide behind the ruins of a pillar nearby. Catching his breath, he then took his time to look around, and listen carefully for any sign of activity.

The Oracle then tried to identify his surroundings. Did it look like the same kind of ruins in which he had ventured earlier with Johnny ? What could he expect from this place ?

He also whispered to Inola "(Common) You know this place ? It looks like it has been deserted for ages... (/Common)"

Before Inola could respond Raalk heard the gateway pop once more as it closed down. Having moved away from it, it didnt sense a presence around it, or general time without use, it shut down.   If he was going to get back he would need to find a dial again on this side that would allow him to active it once again. 

Then the footsteps could be heard from a distance away.  Looking in multiple directions Raalk would finally catch the sight of a robed figure moving down a set of steps at the far side of the ruins. The shadows however seemed to mask any indication of its race beyond they were moving upright on two legs. The footsteps echoed through like they were right on top of him.  The voice was male. A sense of arrogance and contempt lingering on its tone as it spoke. 

Someone has activated my gateway it would seem....  It would make this far easier if you just made yourself known.... 

There was a snap of a finger. 

Heat and flames erupted from the ground and encircled nearly the entire area with a giant wall of fire. He descended several more steps.

EWNE6nM.jpgWait a moment....that presence... I have not felt that presence in centuries...Galadriel Inola....?   

There was another roar of flame. This time in the individuals' hand, illuminating his face in the dark ruins.

You conniving ¢ünt... show yourself... 

spacer.pngRaalk Gremweld

Galadriel Inola !?!

Raalk gasped in surprise at the revelation of Inola's true identity. He kept silent and looked at it with a mix of awe, dread and incredulity. Also, if the mage that had come knew her, he must have been fracking old. So probably extremely powerful too, especially given the wide ring of fire surrounding them... And while the Oracle was extremely confident, he had already come face to face with true power, and knew he still fell short. For now.

The wisest thing really seemed to reveal himself at once, but the individual seemed quite antagonistic, and he feared to be attacked by mere association.

He leaned closer to the surface of the shield, and whispered as low as he could "Inola ? You got anything to say, now's the time, or I'll get out before he finds us. Probably much safer that way..."

Edited by Thot (see edit history)

Not sure it's going to work. Generally only the shield bearer can see my projection. Though you said I was different before the gateway.... Lets see... 

The shield gave a faint glow before the shimmering vison of Galadriel appeared on the stairs above.  

Magic the Gathering Vraska fanart

The Siren appeared in all her glory. The stories of old however never once mentioned her race being what she called a Tohaa. Most had just assumed her a human by default. What other details had the legends not mentioned? or altered over time? The tendril like hair moved as if blown by the wind. Her eyes glowed as she now held a longsword in her hand. She looked towards the elf with a bit of a smirk. She voice dripped with a mixture of contempt and venom. 

Trieze... It has been a long time hasn't it...  

EWNE6nM.jpgTreize Castranada, the Red Priest.  Or more specifically a Mystic Theurge if the legends were accurate on that regard.  

Ah.. Galadriel... No wait... Oh bother.. how utterly disappointing.  Its only a fractured piece of your soul. That means a phylactery of some sort has ended up here in my domicile. 

The elf looked around from his position on the other side of the ruins. Seeming to try and locate the would be bearer of the item. 

Some poor baffoon most likely swayed by your charms again? Promises of riches? power?... your bed? in exchange for helping you piece your sorry shattered remains back together. The lot of you were always such a disappoint towards the end of our partnership.  Well besides Razorback and Kitana. 

spacer.pngRaalk Gremweld

Treize Castranada ! Razorback ? Kitana !

Raalk's head was now spinning as he felt torn apart by a maelstrom of emotions, and he leaned forward, his hands on the ground as he tried to recollect himself.

No matter what Inola said, it was clearly a doomed attempt to try and fool the powerful elf. The Trollkin gave up on that idea, and stood up slowly, clearly turning toward the mage.

He didn't quite look him in the eyes, he wasn't foolish enough to do that "Greetings, Lord Castranada. I am Raalk Gremweld, Servant of Kaal OkaazSea Guardian

Made up name for the Bronze Dragon that Raalk serves
, Oracle of Kitana, Fervent of Marinos. I beg your forgiveness as I did not mean to intrude, and quite honestly stumbled here by accident, or fate, only.
"

EWNE6nM.jpgThe Red Priest looked to Raalk as he popped up out of hiding. Inola meanwhile gave a mental facepalm. She hadnt advised her plan, what little of what there was of one, but it was gone now either way.  The elf seemed almost bored as Raalk spoke. 

Yes, yes, lots of meaningless titles. Oracle of Kitana though, that one is mildly amusing. How is the old girl then? I'm sure you can catch me up on what shes been up to? Hmm?  I thought not... 

He moved down a few more steps. 

And I'm sure there was no accident involved in you being here. I have little doubt your companion over there knew exactly what she was doing. Her game has always been subterfuge. She knew where the gate was most likely and gently nudged it so you came across things. Leaving out bits of information here or there. A gentle bending of the truth.  A falsity mixed within the facts to make it more plausible. 

He smirked and finally came to the bottom of the stairway.  While still several dozen yards away, his presence now made the air feel heavy. The heat from the roaring fireball swirling over his palm radiating like a forge. 

Galadriel's mistake however, was not knowing who would be here on the other side. The sad scared little mesmerist. She took a risk and found me.  No beloved Khevlar.  No McClares. No friendly Rashka.  And certainly neither one of the Titan's pets.  

Treize looked over the Trollkin for a moment. 

So little Oracle... If I was to forgive your transgression. Clearly a misguided youth of the craft harlot. What then do I do with you? 

spacer.pngRaalk Gremweld

The casual names by which Treize was calling the other members of the Immortal 8 proved that the man was definitly full of confidence, if not full of himself. The Trollkin was split between his various emotions, but it was fear that dominated over several other, less wise pulsions, and he took the brunt of the abuse in silence. And if at first he had hoped to enlist his help, he quickly realized that it was an unlikely plan at best.

"Lord Castranada, I arrived here while looking for a path to rescue a half-elf with whom I was travelling. This path did not lead me to him, so I would intend to head back, and find another way to bring him help. With your leave, of course, and any instruction you may see fit to charge me with, too."

And he bowed his head deep and long in respect and humility, hoping to flatter the man's ego and be allowed to leave. Hopefully the price wouldn't be too steep...

EWNE6nM.jpgTreize seemed to think for a moment. The concept of a half-elf mentioned caused a brief look of disgust. It moved on quickly though. He then dismissively waved his other hand in Raalk's direction.  

Go back, I care not.  Run along. Go seek your friend. 

The flame disappeared from his hand as he seemed to cast something else. The dial of the gateway twisted to life on the other side of the room. A loud pop echoed again as the gateway swirled to life. 

...The shield stays though...

spacer.pngRaalk Gremweld

Raalk paused for a second as Treize stated his price. He looked at Inola with a sorry face, but he wasn't long to answer.

"There is nothing I can do. Sorry. I wish you well, you know..."

Between losing a shield he had just acquired a couple of hours ago, and potentially forfeiting his life thus compromising his mission, the Oracle hardly hesitated. He unstrapped it, and slowly, carefully laid it low on the ground, the medusa face facing the Red Priest.

He looked at the legend that had fought alongside dragons and slowly walked toward the gateway, all the while keeping his eyes on Treize.

Once arrived at the portal, just before entering it, he wholy turned, and dared ask one last question.

"Lord Castranada, I would humbly beseech one last request from you before departing your grounds forever. I am tasked with finding Lord Razorback. Might you know where he could be found, O Power ? "

EWNE6nM.jpgTreize quirked an eyebrow slightly. The fact that the Trollkin had given up the shield with little fuse had probably swayed him enough to tolerate more questions. Though something involving yet another of his former group and seeking them. He seemed to pause for a moment before finally speaking. 

The below the shifting reds sands of Doriman's desert, the shadow dragon slumbers.  If you dare to try and wake the wretched beast, I do hope your "Oracle of Kitana" claim is steadfast. 

The Red Priest waved his hand again. Raalk would hear the Gateway dial clicking off to the side from where he was standing in front of it. The location, changed from whatever it was set at before.  

Now... Out of my sight. I have things to discuss with The Siren here.

Raalk would suddenly feel himself slammed with an invisible force into the gateway. The pressure hitting him fully in the chest like a sledge hammer.  His vision blurred as he was shoved into and went tumbling through the portal's tunnel.

Blackness filled Raalk's mind as the blow sent him into unconsciousness. He thought he could hear Inola's voice still for a moment as the connection of the mental bond finally broke, the distance stretching too far to maintain anymore. Visions filled his mind as he spun through the portal without the ability to control his senses. A golden form sleeping below the waves.  Another darker one covered by sand. The frozen icy wall of the Frozen Wastes. The Windy Pig where Raalk's day had started...a man sat at a table with a black blade. He was with people he recognized. Davin. Jarah. He believed those were their names. A mirror hanging on a wall of what looked like a wizard's study. A blurred astral like figure slammed on the glass of the mirror from inside it. Trapped within. Yelling silently.  Then a forest...the trees twisted and gnarly. They almost seemed to breathe. The roots shifting and moving along the ground. A woman sat within a clearing. Red hair cascaded down her face covering part of it. Her skin was pale. Almost alabaster white. Two bodies swung on gallows behind her. They were dressed in Salamis military uniforms. She seemed to pause and look ahead. Was she looking at Raalk?

Lady Stoneheart by LynxFelidae on deviantART | Game of thrones fans, Asoiaf  art, Digital art illustration

I will not wait for long. They took him. And the dead will not rest until he is returned.  

The bodies hanging from the gallows groaned and twitched back to life. Undead now, shells of their former existence. Ravens cawed and flew into the sky. The zombie's groans filled the forest air. It echoed in Raalk's head before it slowly transformed into what sounded like running water. 

Deep Jungle by ~Lyno3ghe on deviantART | Jungle art, Fantasy landscape,  Fantasy art landscapes

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

The cool refreshing feel of water cascaded over his face. He on his side laying is a stream.  Lush green jungle surrounded him. Birds flew overhead squawking. A gateway lay off to the shore where he was most certainly ejected. The dial however sat there with a giant crack down the middle of the stone. 

spacer.pngRaalk Gremweld

Shaking his head to chase the dizziness away, Raalk didn't stand up at once. Being washed by the pure running water was soothing, and he was not eager to move just right now. He just straightened a bit, patted his whole body and gear, but remained seated in the stream as he looked around him.

Well... it looks like I am alive and in one piece. I can hardly believe it. And what was that meeting really... Galadriel Inola... Treize Castranada... How did I end up embroiled in this ! But if I am working for Lady Kitana and looking for Lord Razorback, then perhaps that was to be expected... I wonder what will happen to Inola now. Castranada didn't seem to mean well for her. I wonder if she deserves any punishment, or not... From what she said, she had been a victim. Can she be trusted thought ? And is Castranada even sane ? I wonder if I will ever meet them again...

And now though, where have I been sent... I suspect he may have sent me somewhere close to the Red Sands Desert, but obviously, I am not right inside it...

The Trollkin paused a while, looking around for landmarks that may give him hints. Once done, barring any revealing clue, he would follow the biggest stream downward.

Raalk had not been walking for very long when the sound of splashing water and children's laughter caught his attention. Moving ahead still a bit more a natural bend in the stream opened up into a small pool that had formed along the current.  Maybe a dozen or so children played. They looked almost like half-elves but Raalk could tell there was something different. Though the distance still made it hard to tell.  If they were half-elves, taking more towards the aging process of humans, it would have put them at around six to ten years old. There was a single older one, potentially in their mid teens that sat on the shore watching the others play.  He also saw a pixie sprite buzzing around in the air above the group playing with them. 

spacer.pngRaalk Gremweld

The sight of kids playing in the water was unexpected, but it was a kind reminder of softer times for the Trollkin. It also meant there would be a village nearby. But he knew he would frighten them if he barged in uninvited and arms in hand, so he had to take precautions. He stowed away his spear, hid everything that could be menacing in his backpack, spread his arms large at hips level, and moved only as close as needed to be heard when crying out loud.

"(Common) HELLO ! I AM A TRAVELER, I AM LOST ! MAY I COME CLOSER ? (/Common)"

He cried in the direction of the older child, hoping to be peacefully allowed near them.