Part I: Atuity's Fall

Peff

Shawkra

Over comms "This is Shawkra.  Copy on salvage and scuttle".  

After a final sweep of the sky, Shawkra pulls the magazine and field strips what he can from the Rail cannon to make it inoperable, and then goes to pull the grenade bracket and launcher from the cannon and attaches it to his Hailcannon.

Shawkra then proceeds to help Eri with her tasks and load whatever is needed into the truck, while still keeping an eye out for threats (but clearly distracted with the salvage).  "Eri, let me know what heavy lift or help you need"Shawkra_HCtoken.png.2130b561d5c1f7fd043155149f6472d1.png

Edited by rmorgens (see edit history)
Name
Engineering Aid
1d20+4 [[17]]
Perception
1d20+4 [[3]]

R4nger

image.png.4a765beac1acab8b7bbb2d6e78eefb0f.pngAs you start pulling what you can from the vehicle R4nger starts angrily darting around and nudging several of you.  🛑 flash several times on your comms along with 🛠️ and 🏗️. None of the nudging constitutes an attack, think of it more like a large dog or horse trying to voice their displeasure.

If you continue, they eventually perch on a pile of rubble, several LED lights alternating red and orange. 

Lavinia Tavo

"No one is injured. SERUM has already seen to everyone." She gives Nils a long look, looks at the rest of the group, then motions to an ysoki-sized civilian wearing a massive jacket, with cowl pulled up "As long as you aren't like them, they'll probably take a look if you're hurt." She then extends her hand "Lavinia. Lavinia Tavo. So what's the plan here...you don't seem the typical Azlanti."

Removing parts and ammo, you're able to pull the grenade launcher, its ammo, the ammo from the main gun, and 235 UPBs. 

Several minutes into the procedures you get a comm text 

Comm Message

"Stop tearing apart my tank! You couldn't wait 20m to get parts to fix it?! What do you think R4nger was trying to get you to do?! Bloody SDF... <deleted by R4nger> 🤐 We needed everyone blind so you could get around without drawing any attention! We're pinned down out here and its not getting any better. Now would you ...<deleted by R4nger>  listen to the drone?"

A second text comes moments later

"Look...I know there's a lot going on. My interest is the people and this city. You all did good work with the comm relay and managing additional transportation, just...I'll explain everything, assuming we get out of here in one piece. Now, please, follow the drone? And tell it to stop editing my ...<deleted by R4nger> 💢 texts!"

Edited by Peff (see edit history)
Name
UPBs
2d100+100 [[68,66]]

spacer.png

"I'm zlanni, polluted blood. Some of us manage to learn a jot of empathy," Nils said giving Lavinia an exceptionally wan smile as R4nger continued pestered them with messages from the mysterious benefactor. Being relatively close to him, she could probably hear his patience drawing taut like a cable and then snapping. Even so, he tried his hardest to remain cordial with the civilian. "You'll have to excuse me Mrs. Tavo."

Turning away from her, he rounded on R4nger, tapping his comm to make sure the drone had a nice, crisp audio file to send along. Grabbing it by the front grate, he pulled it in close to his face so that he was the primary focus of the drone's cameras. "Listen friend, first of all, that scrap-heap isn't a tank. It's an armored fighting vehicle, probably an APC based on loadout. Tanks have treads. Secondly, I just committed high treason against the Star Empire at your direction. Not for my own gratification or yours but on the grounds that you seemed to be the best bet for getting these people to safety. They are my priority, not some civvy with delusions of being an arm-chair operator. It is not my fault you couldn't give orders for pouring piss out of a boot with a gun to your head. You want shit done? You give me the big picture and I'll make it happen. Do we understand each other?"

OOC

Semi-Auto: 9/9

Handcannon: 1/1

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)
Name
Intimidate
1d20+8 [[16]]

Lavinia nods and goes to check on the group, seemingly making them ready to move.

Comm Message

"How dare you presume to tell me what MY creations are. Listen here you... <deleted by R4nger> 🛑 🙄 Ugh, I don't know why I'm wasting time arguing! R4nger probably will just delete that anyway"

"Alright, fine you want the score, here it is. There are two battleships, PROPER battleships in orbit over this planet. I don't know what finally set them off but they started shooting and now everything has gone to the hells. We kept peace for a long time and, Azlanti aside, it was a pretty nice place to live. No one here was ready for this. Firestorms and inescapable fungi/mold storms, sure, but not this. And to top it all off, the Drift has gone sideways and we don't really know if or when the Vesk or Azlanti can get reinforcements.  What we have in common here is the people...they are my people and this our city, Imperials be damned. R4nger should have given you directions to one of my workshops, it would have been safe there except that I got a damage report from the ADC there before it went dark. I don't know what to expect now but it does have the parts you need to fix that tank. I don't know if we're coming back or not, so take anything that isn't nailed down."

"Once you're operational, we need it here, R4nger give them the coords to my current position, so that we can punch through A to B. Its clearly not safe here, so we're going to catch a ride and get our people, your group and several others, out. We can go over the rest once you're here. Does that cover enough for you, Staff Sergeant?

Everyone's comms get another ping, this one right on the Sector A and C border. It is followed by ⛩️ 🚨

R4nger

image.png.4a765beac1acab8b7bbb2d6e78eefb0f.pngLow humming as Shadow pets it

spacer.png

"Not so gods-be-damned hard, now was that?" Nils let go of the drone, demeanor visibly shifting now that he had something approaching a better understanding of his circumstances. "If you can route anything like decent intelligence on enemy presence in the area our way, it would be appreciated. Especially any fliers. I'm not getting picked off by a Vesk bird-boy tonight."

He turned on the rest of his ragged crew, both the civilians and the odd squad of people who, for whatever reason, had stepped up when he needed them to. "Alright! Anyone who wants to bail should do so now! We're going to secure parts for this APC and get it moving before making a run on the nearest sector gate. We can't trust the Aeon Guard and there's no telling where the Vesk have placed themselves. If those lizards have so much as a single tactical brain cell among the lot of them, they'll be looking for defensible chokepoints. Stacking the deck in our favor as much as possible is our best bet here. If you're coming, get on the truck. If not, good luck."

As far as inspiring speeches went, it was no Evindarian on the walls of Pellinail, but it would have to do. Nils walked towards the passenger side door of the truck, giving everyone a few minutes to make up their minds.

OOC

Name
Perception 1
1d20+6 [[15]]
Perception 2
1d20+6 [[11]]

Shawkra

Shawkra will help folks load their belongings and themselves into the back of the truck and hop in and close up the rear after everyone that is coming is loaded.

Over comms Shawkra_HCtoken.png.2130b561d5c1f7fd043155149f6472d1.png"Ready to roll", as Shawkra positions himself at the rear to be able to deal with any pursuers.

Name
Perception 2
1d20+4 [[20]]
Perception 1
1d20+4 [[11]]

Shadow Bounder || Pahtra Ghost Operative || Level 1 

image.png.af4bfef4f9effebe0bf1b01ef028381a.png

Shadow sat down cross-legged on the truck bed as they all spoke. "Once we get close, let me scout ahead. I am naturally sneaky and if i need to, almost invisible with my now powered cloak. Lets get within two or three blocks of the workshop, I'll head out first and send back what all is there, if its hot, we go in hot, if its not I can check the immediate area as you bring in the apc-tank-thing to fix it."

As she spoke, she continued to pet R4nger and guided the little bot to sit in her lap.

Edited by Gwyn-finity (see edit history)
Name
Perception roll 2
1d20+6 [[7]]
Perception roll 1
1d20+6 [[12]]

Comm Message

"That's part of the problem...there isn't much good intel right now or things are changing too frequently. R4nger is the best eyes I have right now. We might be able to do something about that long term but we're a lot more scattered than anticipated. Let me know when you're at the shop and have questions...we're going to try and keep our heads down, maybe make a move or two if the opportunity presents itself."

"Its Sarca, by the way. Nice to meet you, Staff Sergeant."

The civilians, led by Lavinia load up on the truck without much fuss. R4nger darts skyward, its flashing lights going dim as they dart forward to a building and perch on the rooftop overlooking the streets. Assuming everyone is ready to go, Jikjak fires the truck back off and away you go.

Now let's see if you find any trouble along the way.

All PCs: 2 Perception checks each.

Random Roll: ...

Name
Random die of randomness (75+)
1d100 [[46]]

Oddly enough, the streets stay clear but the same can't be said of the skies...

Over the course of 3 miles you see 2 aircraft fly low overhead. While not stealth craft per se, you do note that they were somewhat difficult to notice. They do not appear to take any interest in your movement, nor slow at all as they continue in the direction of the city core.

Culture or Engineering DC 15 (Identify Aircraft)

Both were Azlanti Klokworx drones. A low tier starship often deployed as harrying craft against larger starships.

The trip is thankfully quick and you arrive outside of Sarca's workshop, a concrete building of few windows. Several buildings in the area appear damaged and one neighboring buildings has collapsed on top and in front of the workshop. Rubble blocks what you assume to be a large, garage-type door. Just off of the street, a set of stairs lead up to a double doors at the front and to the east of the building, a chain link fence with gate can be see blocking an alley.

The front door is locked. It can be unlocked with an Engineering DC 25 (Disable Device) or Computers DC 21 (Hack System) check.

Perception DC 17

The door is wired directly to the nearby console, which looks like it could administer a small shock if not handled properly...

Engineering or Computers DC 12 to disarm or bypass this safeguard.

The chain link gate is secured by a chain and padlock. Engineering DC 20 (Disable Device) to open it. Other options may be available for handling this as well.

You can park the truck here or nearby, as you choose. I'll leave it off the map for the moment but can bring it on if anyone so desires. Move your tokens into whatever position within the visible area you would like. 

Back on the Map, slide 2!

Jikjak Whiptail

spacer.png

Jikjak nervously looks overhead as the drones swoop, heading towards the city center.

"Klockworx drones. Hopefully the Azlanti haven't IDed the APC. Then again, those things are usually used for harrassing bigger ships. Which means there's a bigger ship out there. Lovely."

Jikjak quickly parks the car and hops out, readying his azimuth and hustling over to the front door.

"Door's locked. Same with the chainlink gate, and there's a scat-ton of rubble blocking the garage door. Unless somebody happened to park an excavator nearby, I'm sitting on my tail until we get a door open...wait, hold it. We've got some live wires hooked up to the door. Looks like one of the trademark pranks the family used to pull, except it's been given some teeth. That charge is going to do more than make your fur stand on end."

And this is the cost of hyperspecialization. And not paying attention in mechanics class.

Edited by Lex Samreeth (see edit history)
Name
Culture
1d20+6 [[10]]
Perception
1d20+4 [[18]]

Shawkra

After dismounting from the truck and scanning the area for threats, Shawkra will tell Eri “Eri, let me know if you need assistance with entry, but I suspect the Sarge is more capable of aiding you.  I’ll get starting on clearing what rubble I can” and move off near the garage and start clearing what he can.

To Jikjak "Oh, there are lots of much bigger ships up there.  Each side has a dreadnought with its full contingent of fighters and such.  Let's just hope they are more interested in killing each other than bothering with oppressing civilians."

To Nils "Hey Sarge, you may want to check with our friendly drone if it has the keys to this place?"Shawkra_HCtoken.png.2130b561d5c1f7fd043155149f6472d1.png

Edited by rmorgens
Added suggestion to Nils (see edit history)

spacer.pngDismounting from the truck, Nils pulls his pistols again and makes for the front door. Part of him was grateful that the drones did not seem to register the Azlanti truck they were driving as a threat. It must not have been flagged as taken yet. That or the drones had a starship to harass.

"Good eye, Jikjak. Eri, I'll give you a hand with the door. When we're inside, break into two teams. Kid and Jikjak, stay low and quiet. If there are hostiles try to flank them. Gunner, Eri, and I will draw attention. We take this carefully, no heroics."

OOC

Name
Engineering (Identify Aircraft)
1d20+4 [[11]]
Engineering (Aid Eri)
1d20+4 [[20]]
Perception
1d20+6 [[3]]

Shadow Bounder || Pahtra Ghost Operative || Level 1 

image.png.af4bfef4f9effebe0bf1b01ef028381a.png

Shadow dropped to a prowl and headed forward to what looked like a door. She had her pistol drawn, with the cryogun tucked at her waist and her rifle on her back. She stopped at the door and looked up, and gave a heave as she tried to climb to a potential second floor.

Edited by Gwyn-finity (see edit history)
Name
Athletics to climb
1d20-1 [[1]]

R4nger

image.png.4a765beac1acab8b7bbb2d6e78eefb0f.pngR4nger floats down in front of Shawkra flashing red lights. Everyone then gets 🔑 followed by 📡 on their comms.

More sad drone noises follow the last.

A few of the civilians look around nervously. Nothing this, Lavinia speaks up.

Lavinia Tavo

"Sargent, what should we do...? Can we hide this thing somewhere?"

Meanwhile, Shadow attempts some second-story work with

Mixed results

spacer.png

With Nils and Eri staring at the door, R4nger floats up and a set of tool arms flip out.

R4nger

image.png.4a765beac1acab8b7bbb2d6e78eefb0f.pngIt starts to work on the panel near the door.

🔐 

👍

A small clicking sound follows. 

Name
Computers (Hack)
1d20+13 [[16]]