Act I: Journey Interrupted

TheRealSife

MecatolCity.JPG.3b076958cdb1f6112c9436e02f22a115.JPG

The flier carries your Keleres team among glorious, towering spires and far above the deeply scored, lightless chasms of Mecatol City’s lower reaches. The ancient city is vast and glints in the setting sun; few true ruins are visible, but you know that somewhere beyond the distant horizon begins the poisonous Sea of Desolation that covers the rest of this world. Over the low hum of the engines, you hear the intercomm blare to life as your Winnaran handler speaks and you are reminded that this ride is also your final briefing.

“Attend to me on the bridge, Keleres. I have much to elucidate in little time.”

The flier is a small vessel, not built for interstellar travel. Though it is typically used for ferrying diplomatic contingents around the city and so there is room enough for each of you to have private quarters.

Each of you makes your way to the bridge in your own way. Despite his earlier message your handler waits patiently until all of you arrive. His gaze is fixed out on the city that passes by around you, his expression troubled.

Edited by TheRealSife (see edit history)

spacer.png
Gathering up his belongings, Karrik walked to his door. As it opened he gave pause to look back and ensure he had everything.

Satisfied, the Shikrai moved with a smooth pace toward the bridge. His head twitched slightly as walked. In his left hand was a loosely carried bow. On his back a sophisticated looking quiver with a soft blue light running it's length on one side; a single metal arrow end stuck out above his right shoulder.

Stepping into the bridge as his boots announced his arrival, Karrik stepped to one side. "Captain," he said tersely with a slight nod of his head. The avian stifled a pleasing coo at being the first to show up. He stood confidently, with his shoulders back; it wasn't a military stance, but it may as well have been with how stiff he still appeared.

Jana

Jana was staring out the windows, marveling the city, when heard the intercomspacer.png calling for her and the rest of the team. "About time." She stood up and by reflex, checked her appearance - since losing her leg, that became an unwanted second nature, and found everything intact: reinforced clothing, check, carbine, check, knife, check, gear, check..leg, check. The check-up took only a second or two, and she was ready to go.

With brisk steps, she walks to the bridge and stands erect before their handler, giving just a nod to her avian companion. "Major Jana Pradhan reporting for duty."

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

pelpionne.png.2d563d57f91e8d0dae7d4bde3a276fc5.png
Pelopionne makes his way to the bridge, carrying only a manhole-sized circle of what looks like rocky cement. "Good evening, Keleres friends," they greet the others warmly as they maneuver their large form into a spot that is out of the way. However, the view is breathtaking, and so one of their sensofamiliars slides out and pushes up to the viewscreen to get the best possible view of the ancient city. They brings the cement circle to their "face" and starts crunching on it happily, and the others can see that it is a "sandwich" made of silicates and metal oxides.
Edited by Intro (see edit history)

spacer.png
Karrik turned to regard his Keleres companions as they entered. He returned the nod to Jana but paused when Pelopionne entered. He raised a single eyebrow at the robot's candid attitude. "Yesss..." he said in reply, cutting himself off; clearly he'd wanted to say more.

With a tilt of his head to one side, Karrik watched the small drone make it's way out of the new arrival and then up to the glass. He then looked back at Pelopionne munching away--and getting metallic crumbs everywhere.

Well, there's the first amateur. At least Jana seems somewhat disciplined. By the Flight, what is taking the others? he thought.

Your handler is Custodian Loremaster Pailohm Pailonus. A member of the Winnaran race who have maintained Mecatol City for thousands of years, since the fall of their old masters and one time rulers of the Galaxy, the Lazax. He is a tall and thin pale green humanoid, bedecked in golden jewelry and garbed in a flowing white robe. Turning to face you, he adopts a solemn expression.

"Ah, forgive me for the delay. We were expecting one additional Keleres agent, but it seems they have been detained. No matter, I am confident the three of you will be up to the task"

Moving over to a console embedded into the wall he types a few commands, causing the holo-projector in the middle of the bridge to power up.

“This is the world 'Herool’s Truce',”  he says.

The holo-projector displays an image of a planet in slow orbit. You notice right away that its movement is missing something though. The planet is tidally locked in its orbit with one glaringly bright half fixed toward its sun and the other immeasurably dark half in permanent shadow.

“Contact with it was re-established by the galactic community scant years ago," Pailohm continues, "A Keleres informant recently reported the probable discovery there of an unknown, Imperial-era technology. They also mentioned the presence of unsanctioned L1Z1X agents with an intense interest in this world. This was the source’s final report, we have heard nothing from them since”

Pailohm's focus shifts back to you now.

“I am aware you are newly sworn Keleres, but you are being sent to this world as an advance team to learn what you can. Your mission is to either confirm or disprove our informant's report and also to find out why they broke contact.”

He lapses into silence then, giving space for you to respond or ask questions.

Cheliyxx1.png.2b741ea675945d4357ac1c6a7e9853d8.png

The door to the briefing room opens silently, revealing a large Xxcha hurrying inside. He looks around the room, taking in the occupants at a glance before focusing on the Winnaran. Bowing as low as his massive shell will allow, he says in a deep, gravelly voice, "Humble apollogies for my

The door to the briefing room opens silently, revealing a large Xxcha hurrying inside. He looks around the room, taking in the occupants at a glance before focusing on the Winnaran. Bowing as low as his massive shell will allow, he says in a deep, gravelly voice, "Humble apollogies for my tardiness, Honored Custodian. A last minute video conference call with my government that could not be put off. Undersecretary Cheliyxx, reporting for duty." Looking at the hologram in the center of the room as he approaches to stand with the others, Cheliyxx is careful not to bump anyone with his shell, or the large maxe strapped to the side of it. He studies the planet intently, as if trying to commit it to memory.
Edited by Ipphli (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge (Intellect)
SyntaxError: Unexpected termination of expression
Knowledge (Intellect)
genesys(1,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 8,12,11

spacer.png
"Of course, Custodian," Karrik replied before the briefing. During, he was silent and careful to listen to every detail. An uncontrollable shiver ran down his spine at the mention of being new.

Before he could respond, the late arrival finally showed up. Karrik raised an eyebrow mostly hidden by his visor and lack of articulated facial muscles. Points for responsibility, but penalty for time. It's a wash, he thought.

"Newly sworn, but not new to the Mahact, Custodian," Karrik corrected. "May my time with the Argent Flight serve to assuage your misgivings," he added with a small, quick bow of his head.

"To the mission at hand--when was this last transmission received? Do you have a last known location? A contact name? Sympathizers in the area? An idea of the technology we are looking for? Finally, are we to secure the contact or leave their cover intact?" Karrik listed off one after another. He stood tall and waited patiently, head tilting to one side or the other every few moments.
Name
Knowledge (don't know if rolled right)
genesys(2,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 4,1,5,6

Jana

"Understood, Custodian.", says Jana, nodding firmly at their briefing. She acknowledges spacer.pngthe new arrivals with a pointed look. "We will investigate the informant's claims, either way. What are we to know about this person and the surrounding area? Are there any active warzones in the vicinity, any hostiles/opposition we should know? Any special accessories required for this mission?" Ever the soldier, Jana automatically thinks of the tactical landscape to expect.

Name
Knowledge
genesys(2,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 1,5,5
Knowledge
genesys(2,0,1,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 3,2,5,2,8

Pailohm looks relieved to see the final member of the team arrive.

"Ah Undersecretary, I am glad you could make it. Your diplomatic skill will be a welcomed addition to the team"

As Karrik addresses him he nods and says, "Of course, I don't mean to disparage your experience or the expertise of the Argent Flight. Each of you have been sent to serve the Keleres as representatives of your respective governments so I'm sure you will each bring value in your own way. Usually though we give Keleres teams a little time to train with one another and get used to working together before sending them off on missions. Unfortunately, recent developments have left us little time for caution..."

He trails off for a moment, seemingly lost in thought, before your questions snap him back to attention.

"The last transmission came through two weeks ago. Unfortunately we cannot narrow the location down further than the planet itself, however it is a sparsely populated place with only one major metropolitan area. I would suggest beginning your search there. As for the contact's name, I have only their code name to go by, 'Cats-Paw'. Cat's-Paw was recruited by my predecessor, Loremaster Escalohm, she... was sent as an observer on the Acheron Expedition."

All of you would have heard of the Acheron Expedition, its been all people have been talking about lately. A doomed expedition to explore the Acheron Gate, a mysterious wormhole. The expedition was technically a success, but in exploring the Acheron Gate they re-discovered the lost world of Ixth, and awakened the dreaded Mahact Kings who slumbered there. The only ones who returned from the expedition alive were a small delegation who had been altered by the Mahact's Gene-Sorcery into mindless slaves, they were sent to the Galactic Council to declare the Mahact King's intention to conquer the galaxy and demand that all races submit to them.

"Cat's-Paw has been slow to trust me with their personal information, so I'm afraid I can't tell you much more about them, the situation on the planet, or the technology they were investigating. Though, I understand they acted as a merchant for their cover identity. As for how to deal with them once you get to Herool's Truce, I will leave that to your discretion"

Turning to Jana now he says "Herool’s Truce is in an obscure “distant sun”—meaning an unexplored or poorly charted system—in a wild region of the galaxy called the Mahact Plateau. It has a small, mixed-species population, all centered in a narrow habitable band between its day and night sides. It was effectively lost for millennia following the destruction of Mecatol City’s Hall of Cartography during the Twilight Wars. As for Hostiles in the area, Cat's-Paw mentioned the possible presence of L1Z1X, other then that I'm not sure."

pelpionne.png.2d563d57f91e8d0dae7d4bde3a276fc5.png
"How are we to get to Herool's Truce?" Pelopionne asks. "What sort of resources do we have available? Our own ship? One with high overheads?" they add hopefully.

OOC

Knowledge (Intellect) - 1 Success, 1 Advantage

Edited by Intro (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge (Intellect)
ffgsw(2,1,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 5,6,8,4,4

Jana

"Do you have a code word or any personal information we could use to establish our spacer.pngbona fides to each other?", asks Jana, then some uncertainty flashes on her face. "Forgive me to point out, but if there is known L1Z1X presence in the area, we should count on hostile activity, sooner or later." Taking a good look at Pelpionne ("I like that sort of direct thinking.."), she continues, "Yes, in light of this, may we ask about our means of transportation to Herool's Truce?"

In response to Pelopionne and Jana's questions the Loremaster smiles and gestures out the window. You can see that your flier is making its descent onto the landing pad of what appears to be a space port.

"What a timely question," he says, "Yes, I have requisitioned a Overture-class cutter for your use, graciously donated by the Federation of Sol. It isn't built for combat, but it's fast, a state-of-the-art exploration and scouting vessel. You will find it docked in Adjunct Hangar Complex 5, in Berth A5. As for the headroom *ahem* well it was built with human physiology in mind I'm afraid."

Pausing awkwardly for a moment, he then continues, "As for other equipment, each of your respective governments was supposed to have adequately outfitted you for service in the Keleres."

Thinking over what they have learned so far, all of the members of the Kelere's team reflect on the dangers they may face. Generally, they all know that the L1z1x are a race of cybernetic beings organized into a Mindnet through data implants. They claim to be the ancient Lazax, rulers of the galaxy of old, returned to claim their throne. They also claim a seat on the Galactic Council, but are uniquely hostile to its other members.

Individually some of them know more detailed ibformation, tough whether they choose to share it is up to them.

What Karrik knows

Karrik knows that know that although the L1Z1Xare all connected by a Mindnet, the retain individual personalities. Also that despite having many anatomical similarities with their supposed Lazax ancestors, their frail flesh is twisted and merged with grotesque cybernetic machines. They possess advanced weapons technology but constantly seek to assimilate more, frequently capturing it from other Council factions in military “incidents.”

What Pelopionne knows.

Pelopionne knows know that the L1Z1X have been known to use unusual surveillance devices, including neural shunts—surreptitiously implanted devices which record a subject’s memories and feed them into the L1Z1X Mindnet without the subject ever knowing.

Jana

"Understood, thank you for the foresight." She nods towards the ship. "I believe wespacer.png should have every provision required for this mission, and the necessary information, as well." After this, Jana stands still, waiting for any additional piece of information from the Custodian or even her shipmates, if the info they received so far sparked any ideas.

spacer.png
Wounds 0/11 | Strain 2/14
"Understood, Custodian. No ill taken nor meant. There is plenty of that to be found elsewhere in the void," Karrik replied smoothly.

He listened intently but flinched at the mere mention of the Acheron Expedition. A shiver ran down his spine causing the Shikrai to adjust his footing and roll his shoulders.

"Much can happen in two weeks. Let us hope this Cat's Paw is still with the living. Thank you, Custodian."

As the group touched down on the landing pad, Karrik directed his attention to the cutter outside. "It will be sufficient for our purposes. We are not here to make war. Speed and agility will be among our best tools." He nodded once.

"I come equipped as is needed, as I would hope we all do," he said, flitting his eyes across his companions, "but I am pleased to know you all seek the path of preparation. My time with the Argent Flight taught me that we shall make do, whether we agree or not, for there is no other way."

Karrik nodded sagely and closed his eyes. He thought on their likely foes, the L1Z1X. He turned to regard his companions more than the Custodian.

"We may yet have another tool we can employ against the L1Z1X. They are but a pitiable shadow of the Lazax, constantly enhancing themselves with whatever new tech they can scrounge--or steal. Perhaps we can use this assimilative urge to trick them into a needed distraction? Additionally, something you may know already; they are all attached to the Mindnet--their central source for instruction--yet what you may not realize is they are not carbon-copy soldiers. Their minds are yet their own, and they each exhibit personal tastes and eccentricities. Yet another potential flaw to exploit."

The Shikrai coughed lightly once into his hand; this was the most talking he'd done recently.