Act I: Journey Interrupted

TheRealSife

spacer.png
Wounds 0/11 | Strain 3/14
Luckily there was no ambush, but it didn't exactly set the Shikrai at ease. "Keep your wits about you," he warned as a similar ship was spotted above.

"It is possible that ship is ours--but also that it is not. We may be taken for trespassers," Karrik warned. He was still unconvinced of an ambush, for what better way to keep the Keleres off the trail of wrong-doing? To that end he continued to scan the area for nooks and crannies where someone might leap out from as the team moved closer to berth B-6.

Cheliyxx1.png.2b741ea675945d4357ac1c6a7e9853d8.png

"It's not as if we're going to board the ship," Cheliyxx says as he begins tromping back towards the tram that will lead them to the nearest elevator. "We're just going to politely ask if that is our ship. Mistakes like this happen all the time with new bureaucracies. Just a minor logistical mix-up. Nothing to be concerned about, I'm sure. New organization and all that." Once again, the Xxcha keeps talking, even as he puts some distance between himself and the others.

Name
Negotiation For Opportunity
genesys(2,1,1,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 6,2,7,2,6,2,5

Reboarding the foot-tram the team heads to the end of the hangar where an industrial lift takes them up to the second floor walkway and they begin making their way towards berth B-6 where their ship hopefully awaits them for real this time.

OOC

Everyone must attempt an easy (1 purple difficulty die) Vigilance check.

Cheliyxx's negotiation roll

Chelliyxx actually has access to his own ship, an old Xxcha Carapace-class diplomatic corvette which was recently taken out of active circulation. Government ships that are past their prime are often auctioned off to private buyers where they'll typically be refitted as cargo ships or scrapped for parts depending on what shape they're in. Using his diplomatic connections Cheliyxx could easily requisition this ship for use by the Keleres. The higher ups in the Xxcha kingdom would probably even see the prestige they would get from making such a contribution to the Keleres as more valuable than whatever they would get by selling it.

All of the members of the Keleres team have been moving down the hallway while remaining alert, so they are able to spot a group of four humanoids standing in Berth B-6 before being spotted themselves. It is difficult to make out exactly what species they are since they are all wearing paramilitary gear, including goggles and filter masks. The gear is all of slightly different make and lacks the uniformity you would expect to see from a proper military force, though they do all seem to have a badge with some kind of logo on it and words that you can just barely make out: 'Grugg's Repo'.

Keeping to the shadows of one of the nearby security doors, the team can see that one of the humanoids is typing something into the berth's console, only for it to emit a harsh beeping noise. He bangs the side of the console in frustration, then tries typing something else. The other three are all ostensibly keeping watch, though they are doing a poor job of it. Mostly they're just hanging about the entrance to the berth talking about something you can't quite make out, these people don't scream 'the galaxy's finest'.

Jana

Jana lowers her voice so only her companions can hear her (better safe than sorry):spacer.png "I don't like how they're prowling around our ship, I think they're up to no good.", says as she points out the one at the console. "Rules of Engagement?"

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

The Xxcha pats the air in front of himself with both hands in response to Jana's words. "Now, lets not be hasty. They appear to be employees of a repossession enterprise. No doubt there's been a mix-up in the berths, same as our own issue. Else, why wouldn't his code be working? No, allow me to go and clarify the situation. I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding."

spacer.png
Wounds 0/11 | Strain 1/14
"While I appreciate your desire to keep things civil, Cheliyxx, I have to agree with Jana on this. Their sharp frustration indicates a nefarious purpose," Karrik rebutted. "Read their body language closely," he added with a nod.

"Should things turn...sour...we should be ready," he replied to Jana, tapping the end of an arrow in his quiver. "But at the same time, we are Keleres; we should wield our authority as needed."

He crossed his arms and sighed. "Cautious optimism with sharp turnabout is my recommended stratagem."

pelpionne.png.2d563d57f91e8d0dae7d4bde3a276fc5.png
"It seems likely that the authority of the Council will see us through," Pelopionne agrees. "Even if these are not amenable to recognition of that authority, there is likely an administrator or formal security for the port that will enforce Council prerogatives."
Edited by Intro (see edit history)

After nodding in recognition of Pelopionne's point, Cheliyxx abandons the cover they were all standing in, approaching the group openly. He waves his left hand at them as he offers them as much of a smile as his nonhuman face will allow. "Greetings, gentlemen!" He calls once he's a bit closer. "My name is Undersecretary Cheliyxx of the Keleres. I believe there may be a misunderstanding here. I believe the ship in that berth is ours. A logistical mistake, some fool parked it in the wrong berth. So if you wouldn't mind stepping aside, I would be most grateful. If you like, I can put you in touch with a local logistics officer who can help you locate the ship you are looking for."

Name
Charm
genesys(1,2,0,2,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 2,4,4,1,8,2

Chelliyxx's approach alerts the group surrounding Berth B-6 to the presence of the Keleres. They come to attention, their hands shifting slightly towards the sidearms on their belts. They aren't attacking, but for those of you with the military experience to read their body language it is clear that they are prepared to.

The one who had been using the console steps in front of the others, clearly the leader.

Hearing what Chelliyxx has to say does seem to put them at ease, but they do not step aside.

"I think you mean it was your ship," he says as he pulls out a data pad and shows it to you.

From a cursory glance it does appear to be a repossession order for the ship, however you can also tell from the description of the ship in the order that this is definitely the one which the Loremaster indicated was yours. Curiously, the order is signed by a Sol cultural attaché. Cheliyxx would know from his experience in politics that some government officials are resentful of being forced to provide free resources to the Keleres from out of their own budgets. Though it is speculation at this point, it seems likely that this attaché was hoping to take the ship back using Grugg's Repo to maintain plausible deniability.

The leader scratches the back of his head a little awkwardly and sighs, "Look we aren't in the repossession business to make friends, but you seem like a nice guy. Maybe if you give us something so we don't have to go back to our boss empty handed we can pretend the ship was gone when we got here."

You notice that the payment Grugg's Repo was supposed to recieve for the job is listed on the repossession order as 200 Aurei.

spacer.png
Wounds 0/11 | Strain 1/14
With the Keleres' presence now announced, Karrik felt no need to hang back. He approached and joined Chellyixx' side. However, much as the "repo" men, the Shikrai slowly pulled his bow into his left hand to match their passive-aggression. His time with Argent Flight had taught him to pick up on such body language early, so as to avoid needless bloodshed. Sometimes, blood was necessary though.

"Outrageous," Karrik guffawed upon seeing the datapad in his companion's hands. "You would seek to undermine the authority of the Galactic Council? Do you even realize this makes you a traitor?" He held eye contact and let a slight pause fester in the air.

"This writ serves to undermine the Council, despite the agreement by your Federation to support it. Do you truly believe that if this were to reach the Council's chambers that Sol would defend you in the matter? Do you believe they will put bloody war--and countless lives--on the line for you over this?" he continued, motioning to the ship. His tone was not threatening, but commanding and matter-of-fact. He had dealt with worms before and knew how to cow them.
Name
Leadership (if allowed)
genesys(1,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 8,1,6
Difficulty
genesys(0,0,0,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 4,5,6

The group of repo men step back, slightly cowed by Karrik's declaration. Nevertheless, they don't move out of the Kelere's way.

"Hey now, lets get one thing straight. We don't work for the Federation, we work for Grugg, and Grugg works for Aurei. If you've got a problem with the people who ordered this repossession, you can take it up with them. We just came here to do our job and repossess a ship. If we don't leave with a ship, it's gonna be our asses on the line."

Jana

"It is your asses, either way. And it is our ship. How about 20 aurei, sospacer.png you won't leave empty-handed, but in one piece?", asks Jana and looks at them menacingly.

Name
Coercion
genesys(1,2,0,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 1,7,7,2,8,5

pelpionne.png.2d563d57f91e8d0dae7d4bde3a276fc5.png
As the others negotiate with the associates of Grugg, Pelopionne does as they suggest and contacts higher authority. Using their internal relay, they find contact information for the harbormaster and their head of security and send a message.

"Good evening. I am a member of a Council Keleres team on a time-sensitive assignment dealing with a situation with danger to risk of sentient life," Pelopionne begins. "There are some individuals attempting to interfere in our departure with our assigned vessel. The Keleres are of course amenable to dealing with any of their concerns at the appropriate time and through the appropriate channels, legal, administrative, or other, but our urgent business precludes it at this time. If you could prevent their interference and take note of any of their claims or commentary, it would be a service greatly appreciated by the Council."
Edited by Intro (see edit history)
Name
Charm/Leadership/Negotiation(? - All the same. With Story Point)
genesys(2,1,0,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 5,4,12,4,8,1

Jana's threats don't land with the intended effect, that is to say the repo-men don't turn tail and book it. It does elicit a reaction though as the four armoured humanoids back into Berth B-6, drawing various weapons from holsters.

"Your going to regret messing with-"

Whatever the leader of the group was about to say is cut off as the security doors to the berth slam shut, locking all four of Grugg's goon's on the other side.

"Those trouble-makers again," a voice says exasperatedly over the intercomm next to the now sealed berth.

"This is Harbormaster Klert, apologies for the trouble Keleres. I'd ban Grugg and all his kind from the dock entirely if I could, but unfortunately they operate within the law... barely. Any excuse to ruin their day is very much appreciated though."

You hear the whir of machinery and muffled expletives coming from the other side of the sealed berth as a grav-derrick grabs hold of your ship and moves it to the adjacent berth, Berth B-7. There are no more obstacles between you and boarding.

"Safe travels, Keleres. Don't worry about the knuckleheads, I'll let them out after they've had time some time to cool off. An hour or four should do it."