General OOC Thread

Whitleyrr

Oh Alban :P Being a dick is part of his charm lol. Whether the blood pact proves effective or not, Cordelia is prepared to go to great lengths to safeguard herself from falling under Vadim's influence. While I didn't explicitly state it in the post, given Vadim's apparent ability to manipulate the thoughts / wills of others, she views the cut as a tangible symbol anchoring her to reality less so than having arcane properties. Unlike objects or thoughts, this physical reminder cannot (in theory) be easily tampered with :)

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

Quick rules question before any combats happen.

Jozelle's Sword of Life Stealing states that on a natural 20, it deals an extra 10 necrotic damage. He Assassinate feat states that she gets a critical on any hit on an enemy who hasn't had their turn yet. A quick look online suggests that the wording of the Sword of Life Stealing was made specifically to prevent things like Assassinate or the Champion Fighter's increased chance at criticals from stacking with the sword, and only giving the damage on a die roll of 20. Wanted to see your thoughts on it as though I'd love to have that extra 10 damage on any crit, feel that the rules as written say no, and I have no solid argument otherwise other than the "cool factor". 😎

On 9/15/2023 at 12:59 PM, Peacemonger said:

Quick rules question before any combats happen.

Jozelle's Sword of Life Stealing states that on a natural 20, it deals an extra 10 necrotic damage. He Assassinate feat states that she gets a critical on any hit on an enemy who hasn't had their turn yet. A quick look online suggests that the wording of the Sword of Life Stealing was made specifically to prevent things like Assassinate or the Champion Fighter's increased chance at criticals from stacking with the sword, and only giving the damage on a die roll of 20. Wanted to see your thoughts on it as though I'd love to have that extra 10 damage on any crit, feel that the rules as written say no, and I have no solid argument otherwise other than the "cool factor". 😎

Yeah, it would be cool wouldn’t it? But, there is a difference between an auto critical hit and a rolled nat 20. I feel like you gotta get that nat 20 roll for the extra necro damage to kick in.

Oh, poor Cordelia! Despite her earnestness, the stress of the week is taking its toll on her normally precise insight!

I should also say that this part of the story, like some others, may be emotional or triggering for some. Please let me know in your private thread if anything is ever too much. This is intended to be a horrific story but yet one that draws out profound and grave emotions. Of course, that intent does not extend to doing psychological damage to my players!

Bahahaha yeah - her past couple rolls have been god awful. She also gave Dalin attitude for bombarding with questions before doing the very same herself. She just wanted to add some balm before ripping through her heart.  😂

So far so good, thanks for checking! We really feel Lady Ittia's pain. I like how intense/horrific the game has been thus far, and look forward to delving further!

Oh! I don't know if it's too late, but, I just remembered something I wanted to mention, something I thought may not only be useful but fun for the group! On the way to Lady Ittia's Cordelia would have quickly told the group about her Message ability so that they could communicate with her covertly during their visit. She would have shown them a discreet hand gesture that would signal her to "open the channel" with them since it only works if she speaks first. Even though it's a cantrip, we would use sparingly as to not abuse it, of course!

@PureChance Just re:

He was buried deep against the predations of simple ghouls, but that may not suffice for greater monsters...

Might not be relevant, but Alban would have caught Dalin saying that she was told that the ghouls can come up from the ground, instead of dig into it... perhaps he was just saying that to appease Ittia though?

I'm curious what she actually knows about the ghouls.... Dalin may ask in her next post... unless someone beats me to it. Work is being... work so it'll have to wait a bit, feel free to push on if need be!

Yah... all good! Dalin wasn't sure (interpreting animals is tricky), but she just wanted to prepare the group that the people being buried might be turning into the ghouls. So I just wanted make sure that the suggestion as a possibility was out there... dwarf talk can also be tricky. :)

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

I love your recent posts everyone!

I am having a challenging week at work and wanted to let you know because all my mental faculties are directed towards solving this IRL problem and I may not be able to post for a day or more. I have not abandoned you, however!

ร—
ร—