Prologue: News from Crier's Cross

Peacemonger

Prologue: News from Crier's Cross

spacer.png

"You wouldn't believe it! The guards of Crier's Cross actually fought not one, but two ogres! And won! Can you believe that! Ogres. Wouldn't know what we'd do if those giantkin came knocking on our door." -Olivarth Pine, about a year ago with news and gossip

-Ambient Music-

The village of Hearth rests with a valley of rocky hills and dense forests, a lazy river running by its center. An old mine rest in disrepair in one direction, a small swamp with crawfish farming towards another. One way the road leads the the town of Crier's Cross, a stop between even larger settlements, and in the other direction the road quickly fades away into wilds. It is a peaceful place, the worst threat a pack of wolves that need to be driven off now and then to protect the Uphill's livestock. It is a humble place, there is very little trade, and even less that can't be found in Crier's Cross. It is a place for people content to live apart from the greater world.

Some may wonder what even one does in a village just shy of fifty residents. For one, there is survival, all hands needed to raise food, fix roofs, and solve all the troubles that come from bad weather, pests, and ill luck. For two, there is nature, clean air, water, and wonderful sights of wildflowers, giant trees, and colorful critters if one knows where to look. For three, there is community, to spend time with the others who call Hearth home.

spacer.png spacer.png

This evening over half the town's come to hear Olivarth's recent news from his latest trip to Crier's Cross. Olivarth has the look of a young man who is honest to a fault, and seems to live up to it. Next to him, his best friend Joseph Barsley, swarthy, strong, handsome, appears to be trying to offer some sort of wisdom or advice.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Behind the bar, Olivarth's parents Ulli and Jillian Pine work hard getting everyone their drinks, while in the back the cooking rivalry between the Uphills and Sriros rages on. This time it is Iniqi versus Susanna, with the latter heavily favored. After all, the Halflings' children are still a bit young while the Lizardfolk were all but of age to now join into the culinary fray. For Susanna, it's honey mutton with fresh vegetables while for Iniqi it's a crawfish salad with a small side of catfish. 

spacer.png spacer.png

Mayor Hammus Quill seems to be dozing off to the side, drink still in hand. In the far corner Macran Flint, considered the only man of real strength in arms in the entire village sits smoking a long pipe, his weathered eyes slowly moving across the room as usual.

And as usual, there are many a small stories being told in the moment as over half the village has gathered this fine evening... 

OOC

This is where everyone introduces themselves. Not everyone in the village is present, but feel more than free to choose any of the NPCs from the village for your character to be interacting with. In my next post I'll fill in some final gaps of who's there and start regaling everyone with some local news.

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)

"Alright.  Tell it to me again.  What's the problem here?"

A cacophany of small voices fills the small space of the Church of Twisted Branches, and Sheshi sighs, kneeling on the worn but well-maintained floor in her robes to get herself to eye level with the three children who invaded her sanctuary seeking the authority that only a priest could have.

"No.  I mean it.  I can't understand what is happening unless you go one at a time.  Chisei, you first.  Alright?"

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The young halfling girl pulls herself up to her full height.

"You see, we were playing and then she came and took it and said that it was time to not play, but we needed to do our work and it wasn't right for us to make noise all the time when there was work that needed to happen, so then we got ang-"

"Okay, all right."  Sheshi cut in.  "So, you were playing with something.  What was it, Tildri?"

The second girl shrugged.  "My dad taught me how to make a rattle, so I made one.  Then we borrowed Jillian's drum and - "

"Did you have permission to take the drum?" 

"No..."  Tildri looked away, blushing slightly at being caught.

"Okay.  So you and Chisei were playing with your rattle and your 'borrowed' drum?  Ellie, why did you get upset about that?"

Ellie met Sheshi's eyes with a look that both spoke of the pain she hid, the defiance she felt, and the familiarity she had with Sheshi herself.

"They're always playing and singing and being loud right where everyone is working and when there's so much that needs to get done.  If they knew that, they'd work harder and we'd all be happier."

Sheshi nodded.  "Okay.  So what happened to the rattle and the drum?"

Ellie suddenly found the altar behind Sheshi far more interesting, her eyes tracing the artfully carved object and explicitly refusing to meet Sheshi's own.

"She threw them in the well!"  Chishi blurted out!   "She destroyed them!"

"Ah."  Sheshi rocked back onto her heels, thinking for a moment.

"So, there are a few things that went wrong here.   First, Chishi and Tildri.  It is good that you want to play and be children.  This is an important part of life and as the Book says, 'Life must grow, each moment in its proper season, for the fruit of a person's soul to fully ripen.'  It is good for you to play.  But where and how you play has caused strife for your fellow human being, so perhaps, the next time you play, you can do so away from the center of town, perhaps within one of your own houses or Out near the edge of townWell, I've just killed these kids, haven't I? 😐.   Ellie.   It was not right for you to take their objects and destroy them, especially since of the objects was not, in fact, theirs to begin with.  We will talk with your mother -"  At this Ellie looks like she wants to sink beneath the pew she is sitting on "- and figure out some way to replace Jillian's drum.   For now, though, I would like you all to apologize to one another."

"Sorry..." came a muttered chorus.

A minute or so later and the children were filing out, Sheshi's eyes lingering on Ellie's back as she left.  She couldn't be blamed for her actions at the moment, not with her father still missing, but Sheshi would need to keep an even closer eye on her and her brother.

Turning and picking up the rag, she began to rub down the pew once more, trying to restore some shine to the old wood.  She knew that there was news from Olivarth, but she didn't care to hear it.

Edited by Nixis (see edit history)

9800f0f5152c3afe65089d7bab237421.jpgHektor Redgrove

It had been a clear enough evening for a walk and the allure of news from the caravan was a bit of fluffed cream to top it off. Hektor draped himself in his blue traveling cloak and donned a small skullcap and made his way out of his quaint home. He checked on the cages outside the entryway and saw that his charges were all slumbering beneath cowed feathers and hooded branches he'd placed inside the housing. 

His walk ended in a brisk loop around the village and not the winding course he usually concocted. His mind was on Olivarth and the way the young man delivered news. The thought of it stirred him something awful tonight and he quickly lost the mood to meander. The news was always spilled with quite the boyish walkabout, too much for Hektor's liking, but he suffered in silence lest he be asked to leave and miss out. Oli meant well -of that Hektor was sure, and at least once it had been a point of reprieve from his annoyance- but the older man was used to terse and direct news. Shorthand notes on the wings of birds rarely carried with them the flourishes of tangential verbal expeditions.

Hektor entered the tavern after the larger crowd had already settled. It was an easy habit to form when other villagers simply arrived with families that constituted half the crowd. Some times Hektor felt as though he was the mortar splashed between two stones on a wall, the stones being any number of families in Hearth. He was meant as useful filler.

Just as he had the village a few minutes before, Hektor made a loop around the meeting room. He clasped hands with shoulders, wagged fingers at unruly children, and stayed clear of the Barlows for the sake of his own good mood. Eventually he found a seat near Minerva Cobb. The older woman gave a surprised huff when Hektor sat down beside her, but it quickly faded when she put eyes on who the intruder to her table was, "Mercy, what are you doing sitting here, young man?" She asked with a bit of wicked jest in her eyes. "Shouldn't you be sitting near the front so you can hear the boy's stories?"

Hektor smiled and removed his cap. Whether the perception was there or not, he found that in public settings he liked to sit with those without children under his tutelage unless the moment called for it. It helped to squash any whispers that might come of it. Besides, the old woman liked to pretend he was a teenager and it made him laugh. "I sit where I please, ma'am." He said with his own full grin. "Tonight it is next to an ancient relic so I may study it's secrets."

The old woman giggled and slapped his hand hard before turning her attention back to the goings on of the room. Both of them did. 

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

Bellamy "Ames" Woodcock

image.png.de5a8917eb8115c02c2dd796b4007363.png

The battling smells wafting from the kitchens began to turn Bellamy's stomach. He couldn't eat, not after his afternoon's macabre business. A fox had gotten into Pierro's lambing field, and the cleanup had been… extensive.

Bellamy sat across from Pierro near the center of the tavern, with Forfar squeezed in beneath the table. He scratched behind the wolfhound's ear, the ragged dog taking up most of the leg space under the table. Luckily, between him and Pierro, they didn't need much. Susanna stopped by periodically between bouts in the kitchen to see her husband, bringing with her smells of raw onion and thyme. Bellamy offered a nod and a tilt of his mug to her, and tried not to notice the tenderness of her hand on Pierro's shoulder, or the easy back and forth of their interactions.

Idly he picked at the flaky skin on his arm. The transition area from stone to flesh, just down from his elbow, had always been a source of irritance, but it had flared up recently, much to his chagrin. It occupied his mind as the anticipation in the room bubbled away. He knew Olivarth's news was what everyone had come for. News in Hearth was like clean air in a grain mill - rare and short lived. All seats were turned just so for optimal viewing, and eyes kept glancing towards him and Joseph, eager for them to be about it. Even Bellamy was in on the game, though he wouldn't admit it. He doubted the news would be of much interest or import, and yet there he was.

Bellamy clocked Hector sweeping in, and was glad he hadn't come over his way. He wasn't in the mood for that tonight. Instead he took a small drink, and turned a pinched expression towards Pierro. "Ale's a bit dry tonight. Your's alright?" He took another drink, just to confirm his suspicions, then nodded towards Joseph's conspiratorial whispers. "What do you reckon that's about?"

spacer.pngAkakzi Sriro

The eldest Sriro child found herself following her sister Iniqi for the cooking competition.

Akakzi had tried to stay out of the cooking rivalry with the Uphills, having become fairly good friends with Susanna and having watched the youngest Uphills on occasion. Her family joked about her being a traitor at times, yet tonight she was roped into helping Iniqi lug fresh crawfish for her salad.

After being shooed out of the crowded kitchen she found herself sitting against a wall of the tavern discussing the nature spirits of the area with Amise Zan.

"... see Ami this seed isn't from anywhere near the swamp and I heard children laughing or giggling from the treetops. No Lie! I looked around the whole area and didn't see another person even close! What do you think it is? Portents of good fortune? Some spirit having a lark?"

"Nae, Akakzi - tis likely just the Uphill children teasing you and running.. again. But maybe.. hm, yes it could be that...."

The pair continue thier discussions much to the annoyance of Samuel who had been trying to get a word in edgewise to ask Akakzi a question.

Bellamy

spacer.png spacer.png

"Mm. Well, if the ale were too good, we'd drink our fill and not listen to the news. Can't have too many good things at once, or else you won't appreciate a single bit of it." Pierro is a true rustic man, the kind that believes hard work is its own reward. Always offering kindness, but a kind of kindness that's encouraging one to stand up on their own and brush it off than the kind of niceties of consoling and pampering a person. He pulls out a pipe and holds up a bit of tobacco if Bellamy wants to join in. As he lights it and brings his pipe to his lips, he puffs in a few times before answering Bellamy. Like many in the village, Pierro moves at his own pace.

"Well now, I would imagine Joseph is talking to the Pine boy about a girl. The girl in the corner to be specific. He nods his head ever-so-slightly and Bellamy can see that it's Viviel Zan, by herself as usual. Not that Bellamy is an expert on human conceptions of beauty, similar but still very different from Dwarvish tastes, understood that Viviel would be considered beautiful if she weren't so odd with eyes that barely blinked, not to mention the girl's need to wipe the soot off her face a bit more often. "Yes sir, few good folk been trying to talk the Pine boy down. After all, he's the one that travels to Crier's Cross all the time, surely must be a fine lass or two there. I imagine Joseph is taking a different approach. Always one to let a friend make a mistake. Probably wants Ollivarth to give it a try and make a fool of himself, and end the silly business."

Pierro offers a wry chuckle. "Good my boy 'n girl are too young for it. Also good no other Halflings about. They can head over to Crier's Cross for a festival or something when they're old enough, and then maybe a year or two on top of that."

Akakzi

spacer.png spacer.png 

"I mean, the spirits were always pretty, eh, what's the word? They aren't real people-spirits if'n you get my meaning." Amise tries to recount her mother's teachings. "As it should be. Spirits do spirit things, people do people things. Still, yer brother claimed to have seen 'em, aye? Could be close by."

In that moment Samael looks ready to jump in, but Amise keeps going.

"Hey, where'd Viviel go? Oh, right, o'er there again. I swear, may as well put a sign up claiming the spot as her own." She shakes her head. 

Samael, apparently his patience tested speaks up finally. "Well, she does what she sees is fit. Right fit. Erm... think maybe I'll catch some fresh air if anyone wants to join." He stands, a bit awkwardly, regretting his choice immediately.

"Eh, plenty of fresh air in here, but you go do as you want. As you see 'right fit' and all." As Amise finishes Samael starts to leave, taking a long glance towards Olivarth and Joseph on his way out. She shakes her head a bit. "Think I might be able to get adopted into your family? Do I have to marry one of yer siblings, cause I'll do it. I mean, I'd get on a knee and propose to you, but think I'd need to get in line." She offers Akakzi a wink without any further explanation. 

Hektor

spacer.png spacer.png

"Ah, you're a silver tongue, you are Mister Hektor Redgrove. We simple folk are no match for your cultured might." Minerva giggles some more giving him one more playful slap. "Oh. Well, at least you're one cultured person whose company is a treat." Her smile sours into a tight-lipped frown as from upstairs a figure emerges. Sa'Sasril ir'Velessil arrived but a week ago, a woman of the world, who's traveled near and far. Hektor is one of the few who can tell the legitimate from the fake, and if nothing else Sa'Sasril is the real deal, someone who has seen many a land, many a people, and for some odd reason thinks there may be some hidden ruins or lore to be found near Hearth.

"Ah, may I sit here?" Her light voice has an accent to it that comes across as a bit arrogant yet alluring. Without waiting for permission she takes her seat and with that Minerva's openness and mirth is gone. "And I'm so glad that Hektor is a cultured person you like. I wonder if I make two." The community learned first about the explorer that she had no intention of helping besides throwing a silver here or there. The community learned second about the explorer that she has exceptional hearing, and was quick to respond to anyone trying to mutter under their breath. "Ah, so... this 'news' that the plump cart driver is going to say... what can I expect? Will he be stating which barmaid tussled in the hay with which town guard, or will it be if the sheep are getting sick off stinkweed and the mess they've left?" The community learned third about her is that the Half-Elf is perfectly comfortable teasing them and treating them like bumpkins. When she learned Hektor was a man of education, she actually turned a bit friendlier, though still had her opinions of everyone else.

"Ah, but I jest. I'll take your best swill!" She announces her drink request for all to hear.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

"No, no, not like that. See? Try this!" Pat Rispa Jr. to the side is trying to teach two younger children, Gold Eastwind and Milo Uphill how to make a reed whistle. He's a full score of them laid in front, with two already broken wrong. He blows in creating a whistle, much to Gold's delight and Milo's interest as the two try again.

Sheshi

Meanwhile, in the Church of Twisted Branches, Sheshi has a moment of quiet. She watches as Tildri and Chisei split off one way, and Ellie another. As much as the quiet offers time for reflections, these days it comes with the troubling news from her faith. She loves this village, it's as much a home... no, perhaps more a home... than what she's had before. She remembers in that moment that Olivarth should be sharing the news from Crier's Cross. If anything is of real interest, she'll hear about it in the morning.

spacer.png

"Is the congregation learning anything helpful this evening?" The deep baritone makes Sheshi look up to see Viktor Pinesband standing at the door, large frame half-resting against it. The large man's learned to do half things whether learning, sitting, or even helping out as he's not only the tallest person in the village save for the Firbolg hermit, he's also easily the strongest. and on more than one occasion has accidently broken something. 

"I mean, you can offer counsel to invisible ghosts and faeries while Lucredda convinces the good people to worship witch beasts, or you could walk a lost soul to the inn and join in on the fun." Some thought Viktor a bit simple because of his size, but Sheshi knows better. The man is far too clever, especially for a man who's known nothing but manual labor his whole life. 

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

A few others from the village are present. Gregor and Brunhild Eastwind are relaxing and taking big swigs of their drinks, sitting with Akakzi's mother, Asege who keeps rattling off clicks and growls to Iniqi on how to make the meal before changing back to Common and explaining what she just said. "Told the girl to put in more garlic."

The Barlows keep to themselves, at least for the moment. Olivia is laser-focused on Joseph, waiting for her opportunity to strike. When she's around, her younger sister Alice usually stays by her father, Javier, rather than play with the other children. The other village children have long-since figured out the arrangement, and play with Alice when the older, bossy sister isn't around.

spacer.png spacer.png

"Ah, think we made it just in time dear."

"Oh yes, we did love! So wonderful to see you all! Hello! Hellllloooo!" 

Bellamy's nephew Trenton steps in with his human wife, Larent. At least, she seems human though a few claim she must be part sunshine for the way she's always so upbeat and happy. Another person might get an odd glance for so loudly and shamelessly waving to everyone, but from Larent it's what's expected, the young woman beloved for it.

spacer.png

"Hello sis, good to see you!" Olivarth waves back to Larent. A bit of the optimism is in the young man too. "Right, guess that's all who's going to come, at least for now." It's not unusual for people to be missing. The Mudderlins are absent. So too are Joseph's parents, Bellamy's sister, and Minerva's grandson. Most the Sriros aren't there this eve, Leanora Rispa and Lorilei Uphill also gone. Lucredda Zan stands just outside, so half there, and the Gnome and Firbolg are both, as usual, uninterested in anything to do with Crier's Cross.

"Right, so first off some good news for the Sriro family. Apparently the Wallabem family's third attempt to make a crawfish pond didn't work out for them too well. Their stock all got sick and died. Rumor is they've given up." Although the Sriro family have never met the Wallabems, supposedly some Dwarves got the bright idea to crowd in on their crawfish business by creating their own artificial marsh outside Crier's Cross. The news means they've the only crawfish for miles and miles.

"And in other news, I saw another man of the church, an Elf man with a tree tattoo on his face! I mean... just wow. Wish I could think of something cool like that, but don't think it'd look as good on me. He was interested in hearing a bit about Hearth from me, said he might come to visit, but er... something about some business in Crier's Cross first. So, if you see the Elf, then... well... means he did come after all.

"Oh, and heard the Guard Captain Xera might be looking for one or two more recruits in half-a-year or so. All speculation, some think a retirement is coming, others that she's pushing for more funding. Couldn't say, but the town might be up to twenty-five in a year's time! I mean boy, that's practically an army. Wouldn't want to be a troublemaker in that town, no sir..."

As he speaks Akakzi can't help but notice Joseph next to Olivarth looking directly at her, with some sort of knowing smile. It's the kind of smile she knows means he's up to some kind of trouble, and wants her to know he's up to something. Hektor can see Sa'Sasril's eyes widen and her mouth almost drop as the news is far more mundane than she ever could've imagined. Bellamy catches Trenton try to offer a friendly nod as he passes by to find a seat elsewhere. 

Sheshi

Sheshi dropped the rag on the nearest pew and walked the short distance from altar to door, her boots drumming a rhythm against the wooden boards of the church.  As she got closer, she rolled her eyes at Viktor.

"Fine.  Fine.  But you owe me a drink after."  She admonished the man, slapping his shoulder as she passed out the door and turned towards the inn.

She arrived just in time to hear Olivarth begin to speak, and her eyebrows pinched together as the news of the Elf was relayed.  She had the last letter, ignored, like the two before them, from Bishop Gregor, telling her that someone was coming to replace her here - that it was time to move on.  Was this Elf the one?

Tabletop

Does Sheshi know this Elf?  What should I roll?  Insight?  Religion?   Insight is +4, Religion is +3... just gonna roll something...

Well, its a 20, so either 24 or 23 😄

Edited by Nixis (see edit history)
Name
Insight or Religion?
1d20 20

Hektor took the old woman's words with a heavily laden dose of salt. He knew she wasn't the only one that had been suspicious of the newcomer, and the newcomer hadn't done herself any favors in fixing it. When it was clear the elven woman was headed their direction, Hektor's instinct was to exhale out any terse words he'd intended for his elderly tablemate. Anything of that nature could be deemed an open invitation for the Sa'Sasril to pile on. Hektor wasn't prepared to offer her that. His sudden exhale caused him to suck in his gut too, which inadvertently made it look like he was posturing for the sake of the elf. Another offer he preferred wasn't exchanged.

Sa'Sasril's words never felt jovial. Hektor had been here long enough to consider the quaint little village home. So the jests were as much about him as they were everyone else, regardless of how she seemed to treat him differently. The hair on the back of his neck bristle slightly. "That's enough, Sa'Sasril." Hektor rebuked, catching the pronunciation of her name in his best highland accent. Any other words he meant to add to his admonishment were lost on the sudden reprieve put forth by Olivarth.

By the third -or was it the second- report, Hektor's own patience had begun to wane. These were informative things, but the boy just didn't have the gravitas to meander as he did. It also undermined the news itself. Hektor's fingers rapped the top of the table as he continued to listen. A business venture abandoned. A elven priest to visit. A militia recruitment. His own versions began to play out on fictional strips of paper in his mind.

Name
(History) Recognize the Idea of a Face Tattoo tradition?
1d20+5 9

Sheshi

spacer.png spacer.png

"Sure, whatever you say." There's something nice about walking next to Viktor, one of the few people in the village taller than Sheshi. Sheshi comes from a tall family, and Mister Pinesbane apparently has that in common. "I'm concerned we'll be having cold nights for a time, can already feel tonight's chill in my bones." Viktor is also one of the villagers in tune with the weather. The cold itself isn't the concern, Sheshi knows. It's more of the trouble that cold causes. It means harder to plant, and more seedlings dying. It means the occasional frozen animal. It means people being a bit more frustrated. All things that will in some way come back to Sheshi.

His words are advice that she'll have some work to do to ease people's frustrations and worries.

They see Lucredda Zan, arms crossed, just outside the door to the inn.

As the walk in to get their table just in time to hear the first bits of news, Sheshi recognizes the description. After all, not all followers put a full tree tattoo on their face. Duneda'il is an Elf of higher status than her, and a straight up Druid of the church, who's rumored to be quite potent in his connection to nature. It offers more questions than answers. Is he there to replace Sheshi? Is he there to command her to leave? Is he just passing by? There's no way to know...

Hektor

spacer.png spacer.png

Sa'Sasril looks curiously at Hektor when he admonishes her, but says no more. This seems to perk Minerva up a bit who gives Hektor a reassuring small smile and nod to him for a job well done. It's a small matter, but if nothing else Hektor knows he'll be able to depend on Minerva's support the next time there's a debate over what the community should be focusing on.

However, as Hektor finds himself struggling with Ollivarth's normal ramblings, he can see from the corner of his eye that Sa'Sasril see him with the corner of hers. Her expression seems to say 'Well? Apparently I'm not the only one who sees this is mundance, am I?' She doesn't speak the words though, letting the message sit inside him.

spacer.png

"There's news of new trade from the far port and some string of islands. The uh... huh. I can't seem to remember what it even sounded like. Well, that's got people abuzz that there may be some new spices, or cloth, or anything new. Of course, that's all going to be pretty expensive. Can likely see some of the well-to-do folk in the town showing it off though if the rumor's true.

"There's a request for some seasonal help to set up a new farm about five miles from Crier's Cross, east-ways. Real hush hush about what kind of crops they're doing, but the leading guess is carrots and other root crops. Might be something if a family wants some extra silver, and can spare an extra pair of hands.

"And finally, the big news..." Olivarth pauses for dramatic effect, but his boyish smile makes it hard to take the moment too seriously, "... is that Yammy Belleswright is now being courted by Addrim Trow!" No one gasps, no one applauds. "I mean, people thought she'd end up with the Half-Elf been coming back and forth to town, but seems she's fancying the smith's son."

And with that, the news is over, and people get back to the real purpose of these gatherings... a chance to catch up with their own personal gossips and concerns.

Everyone who wants a meal has one in front of them now, along with a drink to go with.

Name
Cooking rivalry, Iniqi needs an 81-100 to win
1d100 27
Another Roll
1d20 5

ImageSheshi

Nothing to be done, nothing to be done... she thought to herself as she recognized Duneda'il's description. Either he'd come and she'd have to go, or he wouldn't... and she wouldn't. Maybe Viktor's cold snap would turn into impenetrable snowbanks and the entire issue would be moot until it thawed. She couldn't change what would happen, just how she responded to it in this instant, and how she prepared for the moment to come. As she looked around at all these people who had welcomed her and allowed her to become a part of their lives, however, the ache of a loss anticipated gripped her heart.

Closing her eyes and counting to ten, she collected and centered herself before standing and getting to work, taking Viktor's advice to heart and starting some pre-feather-smoothing routines that would make things easier. Was the Barlow's window mended? Was the disagreement between the Cobbs and Eastwinds truly buried and forgotten, or were there embers ready to catch alight again? A dozen relationship-building 'how are things?' and a half-dozen 'I'd love to come for dinners', two pints of beer, and one long hard look towards the door as Lucredda shifted and Sheshi wondered if she should go try and talk to her as well, as well as that ever went...

spacer.pngAkakzi Sriro

spacer.png

Akakzi blinks at Amise's suggestion and opens her mouth to refute such claims when Olivarth starts the news. Giving Amise a glare and a light kick under the table Akakzi turns her full attention to Olivarth and - oh gods Joseph is right next to him.

The news is farily mundane but Akakzi visibly relaxes into her seat when the failure of the Wallabem pond is relayed and a genuine smile splashes over her features. Her ears perk up at the mention of an elf and she reminds herself to hound more information out of Olivarth... later, with less people around.

Akakzi's tried her best not to meet Joseph's gaze, but seeing that he was persistently staring at her she finally meets them at the end of Olivarth's speel. Narrowing her eyes at Joseph she tilts her head to the side questioning. Her mind starts whirling on what he could possibly be up to.

The end of Olivarth's news doesn't untie the knot growing in her stomach as the proposal was fairly predictable and whatever Joseph was up to wasn't part of the news, so it must be something else.

"Excuse me Amise, I'm sure Ma would adopt you if you asked, but I've got to deal with something."

Standing from her table the elf strides over to Olivarth and Joseph, eyes narrowed at the later the whole time. Grabbing both their arms by their shirt she drags them over to her table with Amise.

"Joe, Oli, spill it, I saw that look what'd you do now. Also Oli, we're gonna have a chat about that elf later okay?"

Sheshi

spacer.png

"See? Wasn't much trouble in that, was there? Now we know all sorts of useful things. The Sriro's still corner the market with the crawfish." As if to emphasize, he takes a bite of Iniqi's dish with a nod. "Might get to taste some strange fruit or spice in a year's time. Oh, and you've got one of your friends coming. Right?" Viktor takes a hard look at Sheshi and she knows he's trying to get a read on her, trying to see if the news is good or bad.

"Anyways, now that you're here, go on, do your priestly duties and talk to folk. I'll be here." He sits back taking a good long sip of his drink.

Viktor's alwa been the one to encourage Sheshi to get to know people well. At first, the nudging was needing. Now, it's just a matter of habit.

Akakzi

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

The reaction of the two young men when Akakzi speaks to them couldn't be more the opposite. Joseph's smile breaks into a large grin while Olivarth blinks and looks both worried and dumbfounded. "W-what's do you... um... sure... all right." Oli agrees to Akakzi not that the boy's ever told no to someone 'no' more times than the fingers on one hand. Even then, he's more inclined to say 'maybe' or 'I can't, I literally can't'.

"Thank you, 'Zi. I'm glad you're onboard." Jospeh does this. All the time. He loves to thank people before they've agreed to anything, as if to pressure them. "Hold on Oli, need a word with her." As he gestures towards a far corner of the room, Olivia Barlow is there. Had Akakzi not made a beeline to Joseph first, the other young woman would've been there sooner. Alas, Olivia finds herself in second place.

"Oh, Joey," No one else calls Joseph 'Joey', it's Olivia's attempt to be endearing with him. "I was wondering about the festival this summer..."

"Months away Olivia, excuse us for a moment." As he leads Akakzi away, he doesn't see the daggers that Olivia stares at Akakzi with. Akakzi can see it quite clearly. As they find a small amount of privacy Joseph leans in a bit closer. "Right, so it's high time we helped young Olivarth and his tender heart. I've a fool proof plan to get them together in just the right way, but I need your help." Akakzi doesn't have to inquire who 'them' includes. Everyone knows Olivarth has his eyes set on Viviel for whatever reason.

She also knows that Joseph's idea of 'just the right way' is... unique.

Hektor

spacer.png

Sa'Sasril looks over to Hektor, and speaks in Elvish to him. "Well, wasn't that... informative?" That's a wry smile on her face, but she doesn't press any further. "Please. You must tell me what a man of your learning is doing here? Don't tell me... you tapped into forbidden knowledge and are in hiding from your Order? No? You're doing an intense study on life in far away places, building a reputation of field research?"

As Minerva knows no Elvish she quietly excuses herself to go and speak with the Mayor.

"I can certainly appreciate the fresh air, but come now... you've piqued my curiosity. Tell your tale, Hektor."

Bellamy

spacer.png

"Fine bit of news this time." It's an average sharing of news by Bellamy's account. Sometimes there's more useful information, sometimes less. Pierro seems to feel that average is 'fine'. Pierro is in the majority in that position. Too much interesting news would be trouble after all.

"Your sister's not here. Shame. Had wanted to pick her brain on a couple things. Your nephew is though." He leaves the thought unfinished. Pierro is not the kind of man to tell another what to do. Bellamy appreciates that in the Halfling. Still, if he has an opinion, he'll at least allude to it. He thinks Bellamy should talk to his kin, being a strong family man himself. "Perhaps he's a bit busy with that cheerful wife of his." Pierro is also the kind of man to let another man have an excuse, a way out. Bellamy also appreciates that in Pierro.

It becomes clear quickly that Susann Uphill has the upper hand against Iniqi. It's no shame on anyone, and would've been quite the surprise if the Lizardfolk girl beat a veteran on their first cooking bout. Both meals are good, and with fine food, palatable drinks, and some news of Crier's Cross to gossip about, the room becomes livelier.

Of course, Macran sits with his pipe to the far corner with his grim, stoic self, but that's something everyone's become used to. It's set to be a good night for talk, for camaraderie, for small happenings in the village of Hearth...

The news ends in a whimper, and Hektor is again left with the notion that he could have skipped it entirely and still be caught up tomorrow. The discovery of new islands -or new trade routes for that matter- had peeked his interest, but it too fell flat after the primary details were left on the sewing room floor beneath the other yarn. Hektor sighed. He would need to put in a note to someone else soon to see if he could swindle better information from a more reputable source.

As talks up front died down, everyone's attention returned to the tables they sat. Hektor was no different. He'd chosen this table for the lack of gab, but it was gab he was likely to find regardless. He snorted as food and barrel wine appeared in front of him as if by magic and he was too pleased to push it away. It smelled mighty swell.

He takes a deep sip from the bowl as Sa'Sasril begins to speak, intent on letting her talk until daylight without a response. Her goading is only half working, until it suddenly prompts their other table guest onto her seat and away from the table. Hektor looked up from his food and murmured in elven, "That wasn't polite. She was sitting here first before any of us." He lets the second admonishment of the night settle while he takes another sip of his stew. Something in him knows that she's not going anywhere without seeing to her fishing attempt.

"This is a quiet place for one to retire." He said with a tilt of his head toward the door, and what lies beyond it. His elven is rusty but it still falls from him rather fluently and without faults in his pronunciation. "Where kind words make one rich in something beyond coin." He finishes his thought with an old dwarven proverb translated terribly into elven. The wordplay joke falling incredibly flat.

"But you think there is something mysterious and ancient and formidable in this town. One of us is fooling the other, and I haven't spoken a lie yet." His smile returned, broad and friendly. A telltale sign that his words were meant to be a bit biting.

Bellamy "Ames" Woodcock

image.png.3caa57712d77af3c9c28a905464f40ed.pngBellamy gives a twitch of the eyebrow to acknowledge the offered light, and fishes a long pipe from his sleeve. He fiddles with the pipeweed, a well practiced ritual. When ready, he holds it out for a light from Pierro. With Pierro's response, he offers an "Mmhmm" or a point of his pipe to continue the conversation. About Pierro's children he nods. "Aye, better off out of that nonsense for as long as possible."

Bellamy noticed the outlander Sa'Sasril descend the stairs, and watched her carefully from the corner of his eye. Folks like her just didn't sit well with the old dwarf. They weren't right for Hearth. He noticed that she sat next to Hektor - he chewed on the end of his pipe as he considered that arrangement of folks. He had the wisdom to keep his thoughts to himself.

Olivarth's news was watched through pinched eyes and pipe smoke puffs. The acrid weed smoke helped to mask the kitchen smell, but it always seem to sting his eyes, especially when smoked indoors. He gave an audible "Pah!" at the recruitment news, then muttered to himself. "Waste of time." It was a statement that suggested imminent departure, but he showed no signs of making such a move. Forfar nuzzled his knee, sensing agitation.

There is a distinct straightening of his back when Trenton enters. He isn't even conscious of the shift. His attention is suddenly on Forfar, who just had to be petted as Trenton went by. He misses the attempted interaction from his nephew.

The last scraps of news mean as little to Bellamy as the first did. The new farm could be a client in the future if they kept a draft horse or two, but it would most likely be serviced from Crier's Cross. He could see why Pierro would take no news as good news, but Bellamy was surprised to realise that he had been expecting more. He couldn't put his finger on why.

He can put his finger on why he doesn't have any interest in approaching Trenton. Pierro tries this every so often, this subtle persuasion. It would anger Bellamy if he didn't admit that there was sense in it. And yet… "Not tonight, eh Pierro? As you say, a bit busy." He was glad of the excuse of eating, and thoroughly enjoyed Susanna's honey mutton. Forfar's sorry-looking stare from beneath the table earned him the last bite, otherwise the dwarf would have eaten the lot himself.

Hektor

spacer.png

Sa'Sasril leans back in her charge, and changes back to Common. "Is there such a difference between saying a lie and holding back the truth? I've nearly been killed by both." She waves it off with a flick of her wrist. "Keep your secrets then, and believe what you will of my stay. Perhaps the truth is I'm an undercover operative come to stop a terrible threat, or I'm a jilted lover come to get my revenge on a lumberjack."

Slowly she stands and stretches her arms up and out. "The night's are very cold here, I think some cold air will clear my head of crawfish politics and a few more boys getting a spear and shield." She starts to leave, giving Hektor perhaps some room to talk to his actual neighbors and friends.

Bellamy

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

"Mm, best not to stretch out too far when one's busy." Pierro always accepted Bellamy's excuses. Even if they both knew it all an act, there's no judgement from the Halfling. Bellamy knows one of the Halfling's favorite lines is that if one feels the need to state an opinion, they best be ready to hear an opinion that's different in return.

"Well, good eve handsome gents." Susanna, her meal cooked, and by the sounds of the room, the clear winner, she came to them with a smile. She gave Forfar a good pat who quietly accepted it. "Feels like it's another deathly cold night coming again. All the livestock indoors?"

"Last I checked. Unless the cows grew opposable thumbs they should be right fine."

"Good. Now you two try not to get into too much trouble. I've got to walk over to gloat to Asege. Just a bit. Good people, just need to accept they're the second best cook's in town." She gives them both a playful wink and half skips over to the other table.

Pierro takes a look around. "Looks like the Mayor's getting chatted up by Minerva again, as if he's the man to talk to. Ever thought of it? Think you'd make a fine Mayor one of these years, give Hammus a break from his doing nothing." Two opinions in one night. Pierro seems to have a lot on his mind, more than usual.

Name
Sa'Saril's Insight on Hektor
1d20+6 14