Day 2

emotionaut

Jaqi-removebg-preview.png.b3541d0c0510d68f8de0fcef4a59de2b.pngJaqelenna Lanthaloren

Silvanesti Elf Fighter (2)

checked-shield.svgAC: 16 | health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 | awareness.svg PP: 13 | 2nd Wind: 1/1 |Action Surge: 1/1| Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish

Jaqelenna's brow furrows as she tries and fails to make a connection amongst the collection of books, all while Jonas displays far more competence with his deductive reasoning. As she listens to his explanation, she suddenly feels a bit guilty about alluding to the man as a servant. Clearly, he is far more than that. A slight blush touches her cheeks at this realization comes to her. Thankfully, the conversation between the others demands far more attention than her social faux pas.

A heap of information is shared, and at such a fast pace. The Silvanesti Elf is far more used to the slower pace that her Elven brothers and sisters converse, but she is trying her best to keep up and parse every bit. However, She is not surprised to learn of Viharin's suspicions about the Dwarf's death. The Captain did not seem the sort of man to jump into action as he did with their travel here on account of a simple funeral, even for a dear friend. She had suspected there was more to story, and this only worked to prove her theory.

Alas, Jaqi has little to share or add to the conversation. Yet, as things sway towards talk of immediate action and how they might solve a piece of this mystery, she suddenly speaks up and offers her aid. "I will do this. To make certain my meaning, I will say this: At least one amongst us will need to remain within the tower, ready to spring this snare. Little Heather speaks truth. A hunter knows that each snare must be made to fit the target. To be specific, it must match their level of intelligence. With a simple rodent, the trap may be easy to see so long as the bait is desirable enough. But this enemy -- we must assume it is intelligent. However, even the most intelligent of beings can suffer from the thought-fallacy of underestimating their opponents. We must make it seems as if we are making a mistake."

Jaqi pauses and curls a finger around her pointed chin. Her sharp ears twitch ever-so-slightly as she follows her path of thoughts. Before long, she looks back up. Her gaze is centered on Mage Nightsong, but she glances towards the other mages periodically. "You are Magic-singers. Do you have such an ability to make a false image? If you are able to make this false image take my shape and display it leaving the tower, It will allow me to prepare an ambush upon our unsuspecting prey. I will be as a panther in wait for its meal -- ready to pounce on the unsuspecting one. I will keep it alive, if I am able, so that we may enforce our questions upon it." She gives a single nod, as if to affirm her logic is sound and that analogy is apt. "I can do this thing alone, but if multiple false images can be prepared..." She pauses to lay a meaningful stare on Bastion. "...I will never deny the help of my Swordsworn-brother."

Jonas Clarkspacer.png

checked-shield.svgAC 11 | health-normal.svg HP: 7/7 | awareness.svg PP: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st: 2 | Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic

Jonas gulps as first Mage Nightsong lays out a plan to trap the murderer of Mage Greenshield, and then others chime in as well. I guess we're doing this then.

The Elf suggests using illusion magicks to hide the fact that the tower is not being left unguarded, so that she and the other squire can ambush this creature? killer? He shudders.

He clears his throat. "Mage Nightsong, I know that you are well versed in the School of Illusion, and I am still mastering the basics, but if my assistance would be useful in implementing your plan, I volunteer."

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)

image.png.991208959999623de69bba4380926323.pngArtyver of Vogler

checked-shield.svgAC: 14 | health-normal.svg HP: 24/24 | awareness.svg PP: 11 | Lay on Hands: 10/10 | Languages: Common, Solamnic  

"Guess I really was his favorite then." Artyver said as he heard the knight's explanation of the shield. A small smile quirked up on the side of his lips, though it was easy to see it was not at his joke. His hand ran over the wood of the shield, feeling it. One last gift from the old man then, one last story. He'd heard Greenshield tell a thousand stories, but never the one of his namesake. He'd wished no that he had heard that one.

His fascination with the shield remained, even as the rest moved on to other conversation. Like more important conversation. His eyes focused down on the old man's gift. Only absentmindedly explaining Vogler's history when question's were asked. Though his eyes turned up eventually. Finally taking in the importance of what was being said around him. The implication.

"Aye, we ran off something the other day. Scratched me bad before going down though." He added to Heather's explanation, then winced. Not at remembering the pain, but at the fact that he admitted he was wounded. A mistake. If anyone saw where the wound should be now... he absentmindedly pushed his sleeve up his arm.

"Hmm, all day and night depending on who you ask and how respectable they are." Artyver nodded. He wasn't so sure about all of this. As far as he was concerned it was mage and knight business but then again. So long as it was happening here it was Vogler business. And there wasn't exactly anyone here to represent the town. "I'll help. Might be able to drag this thing out on stage at the Kingfisher after I knock it over the head. That'll be something to remember"

Bastion

Bastion Wrencrest TokenBastion Wrencrest, Squire of Solamnia Banner

My words | My thoughts | My Actions
AC 14 HP 15/15 Speed 40 ft., PP 13
Sneak Attack 1d6 Precise Strike 2/2

Attacks and Scores

Scores Skills
Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
  • Athletics +1

Dexterity 16 (+3)
Save +5

• Acrobatics +5
  • Sleight of Hand +7
  • Stealth +7
Constitution 13 (+1)
Save +1

Intelligence  15 (+2)
Save +4
  • Arcana +2
  • History +2
  • Investigation +4
  • Nature +2
  • Religion +2
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
  • Animal Handling +1
  • Insight +1
  • Medicine +1
  • Perception +3
  • Survival +3
Charisma 10 (+0)
Save +0
  • Deception +0
  • Intimidation +0
  • Performance +0
  • Persuasion +0

Dagger Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage, Simple, Finesse, Light, Thrown, 2 total

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage, Simple, Two-Handed, Ammunition

Unarmed Strike. Melee: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 0 bludgeoning damage.

Class and Race Abilities

Mobile
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Squire of Solamnia
Your training in the ways of the Knights of Solamnia grants you these benefits:

• Mount Up. Mounting or dismounting costs you only 5 ft. of movement.

• Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack’s damage roll. You can use this benefit 2 times per long rest, but a use is expended only if the attack hits.

Expertise
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make for two chosen proficiencies. Choose two additional proficiencies.

• Stealth
  • Sleight of Hand

Sneak Attack
1 per turn
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Cunning Action
You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

So Sir Viharin suspected that, and it was probably wise that it wasn't shared with Bastion. Ah well, that's just as well. At Jaqi's suggestion of never ignoring a Swordsworn brethren's call to arms, grinning while looking back at the group. It looks like a choice is before them: stay for the festival, or head to the tower and figure out what's going on. Bastion knows exactly what his skills suggest to him he should do. He has no magic, but he certainly knows he'd rather put his own neck on the line than not.

"I'll be bait. Better me than someone else, and I've no magic to spare. Jaqi and I can handle this, I think."

Out of Character

Situational: 
Move:
Action: 
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

Day:  2

Time:  9:00 P.M.

After much discussion, the strange assembly of mages, knights, and commoners devise a plan. While there are no guarantees that the tower is being surveilled by dark forces, there is ample evidence of a threat. By now, everyone has come to the conclusion that Greenshield was murdered. And with the revelation that some strange creature was trying to gain entry to Thornwall, it strongly suggests an ill wind blowing toward the small village of Vogler. To make matters worse, Jaqelenna recalls hearing stories of creatures similar to the one described, following the exodus of her people from Silvanost. If true, it could be a sign that the distant dragon armies to the east are not quite so distant anymore.

Jaqi, Bastion, and Heather volunteer to set a trap within the tower for any would-be invader. To make the place look empty, Mage Nightsong has magic which will allow her to create illusory facsimiles of the two squires. Furthermore, she can smuggle Heather into the tower invisibly in the morning. Once the three are in position, both her entourage and Sir Viharin's will leave the tower and make a spectacle of their participation in the Kingfisher Festival. With Thornwall's defenses down and the tower seemingly empty, there will be no better time to strike.

With the plan in place, Heather and Artyver bid farewell for the night. They return to their own homes to sleep in their own beds, perhaps to wonder if the evening's strange experience was all just part of a dream.

Back at the tower, Jonas, Andir, and June-Bug do their best to make their new guests comfortable. Thornwall was never designed to accommodate so many at once, so more than a few of them are left sleeping on the floor. But there's a comforting community to their situation, flavored with an excitement reminiscent of a child awaiting their nameday on the morrow. Perhaps nothing will come of it. Perhaps Bastion, Jaqi, and Heather will waste away hours in boredom while the others enjoy the festival. But there's still something in the air. Something that suggests tomorrow will be a big day for all of them...

OOC

No need to reply here unless you truly feel the need. I'll be creating new Day 3 threads here in a moment.