Rules Questions?

Jedaii

On 5/22/2023 at 9:28 AM, Neopopulas said:

Lets see. Firstly, you always have to have 4 careers. You don't actually have to put points in them, but you need to have them, so you could have something like Hunter 0, Barbarian 1, Gladiator 2, Mercenary 1. That still equals 4 points, but you still need that +0 career. It just explains some skills you might have, even if you don't have much of a bonus in them. The careers essentially tell you what skills you have access to, or that you can argue you have access to.

Say you need to fight in a flashy way, and you're goal isn't to actually win (we'll put a pin in that for a second) you'll get to roll 2d10+2 to get attention, rile up the crowd, make a scene or maybe make money on the fight.

So take this situation for example, you have been challenged to a fight by a local fighter in the back alleys and everyone is making bets, you want to make sure people are betting on you to get a bigger purse, so you roll 2d10+2(probably+appeal as well) and if you beat the target number then you will gain a bonus in coin or attention or something along those lines.

(then you will actually have to fight the guy which means you'll be rolling other things but thats not important right now.)

In another situation, say you want to scrounge up some food and make camp in the wilderness, you have the Barbarian career (you could also have Hunter 0, which doesn't help much but does sort of authorize you to use "hunter skills") so you can say that you're used to hunting in the wild and surviving in harsh conditions so you roll 2d10+1(probably+ an attribute depending on what you're exactly doing) and if you beat the target number, you succeed in your goal.

In a third example, you meet up with some soldiers that are trying to strong-arm you into not paying the bounty they promised you, you could argue that you have Barbarian, so you're not easily intimidated, AND you have Gladiator, so you know how to turn a crowd, AND you have Mercenary, so you know how to handle soldiers and you have some idea how their command structure works, so you use your VERY convincing argument on the DM and you roll 2d10+4 and try and get the soldiers to give you your bounty.

so I could have actually had 5 careers if I would have put one at +0?

I misunderstood that whole concept when I was creating my PC lol.

For starting characters, it has to be 4 points distributed over 4 careers (even though some of those can be +0). You can pick up more careers through character advancement.

11 minutes ago, roryb said:

For starting characters, it has to be 4 points distributed over 4 careers (even though some of those can be +0). You can pick up more careers through character advancement.

ok thanks