Character Creation F.A.Q.

Use this thread to ask any questions about character creation - premade or otherwise. I'll try to keep a list here so no one has to dig to find any answers.

Q: I'm thinking about joining but I'm not familiar with the Alien franchise and/or the TTRPG. Can I still play?

A: Absolutely! I will work hard to make everything as clear for you as possible in terms of dice rolls and mechanics during the actual game play. Just never be afraid to ask questions and let me know if anything confuses you.

Q: When claiming a premade character, do I post here or in that character's thread?

A: Post in that character's thread.

Q: I know redistributing points in Abilities and Skills is prohibited with pre-made characters; however, may I swap around skill values?

A: Yes, you can. Let's take John J. Wilson for example. As written he has the following skill scores - Comtech 1 | Mobility 2. If this doesn't fit with how you wish to play Wilson, you may swap those skills - Comtech 2 | Mobility 1. This does not redistribute points or grant Wilson additional skills.

Q: I don't like something on the premade character sheet. Can I change it?

A: For most things, absolutely. Do you like the character of Vanessa but aren't comfortable playing a female character? No problem! Change the name to Vince and find a cool picture. If it's something mechanical like Leah's drug addiction, let's talk about it first. We can always work something out to make these premade characters your own.

Edited by SunDuck (see edit history)

I've got the Corebook but I'll admit I haven't gotten the chance to actually play the Alien RPG yet. That in mind think I'll claim Wilson, the Company Agent.

Where would you like us put our Claim requests? Here or in the Thread of the character in question?

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)

I appreciate the consideration! I plan on explaining everything that's required when the time comes (like rolls for example). I would rather everyone enjoy the story we craft than stress over mechanics.

I do love me a good sci-fi horror. I haven't seen the movies in a couple decades now, but last year I played that co-op shooter. Good atmosphere. I'll take a look around and see what catches my eye.

I have never played the RPG, but Free League puts out some fantastic products. I'm good with a slow pace of 1/week but can post more often if the situation warrants.

I do have a question: What happens if our character dies mid-mission--will we take over for an NPC or are we just done as a player? I just need to know for setting proper expectations.

Very good question, @Malkavian Grin! I would honestly leave that up to personal preference per player. Unfortunately with this campaign specifically, it's not feasible to allow new characters into the game - but there will be numerous NPCs to choose from.

If your character dies, you are more than welcome to play an NPC but that's not required. With the current premade characters, they haven't seen play so you can tweak them as you wish. NPCs will have seen play and developed a personality/reputation already within the story. Some people may not wish to take those reins, ya know?

So truly that would be up to you and your comfort level. 🙂

Gotcha! It makes perfect sense that a PC couldn't be replaced. I'm okay with (and even like) the idea of taking over an NPC--especially if they're established. This gives us as players an easy way back in. We don't have to reintroduce ourselves and get over that "oh I'm not sure I can trust you yet, I don't really know you" period faster.

Obviously we'll be trying to not need replaced though 😉

Hi! I would also be interested in joining if there is still space at the table? I bought the physical copy of the rulebook a while back but never got the chance to actually play. I still flick through the book occasionally just to drool over the nice artwork - it really is dripping with theme!

I would like to play as the Roughneck, cargo guy. I would most likely just change up the portrait, name, and background a little bit for flavour. But keep everything else the same.

If this character has already been chosen I'm happy to choose another though :)

I may have misread, but I thought you said we could have self-made characters in the game. If that's true, here is my submission and I'm happy to make a new thread for him. If it's not, I'm happy to delete the character to avoid confusion and look to see if there are any medically inclined characters available.

GALEN McMANUS, MEDICspacer.png
Doctor on the USCSS Montero

PERSONALITY: Determined

Mac had been to space as a Doctor once before, many years ago. It was on a Company sponsored colony ship and his job had been to take care of the passengers and crew as they woke up and did various tasks required of them on the long trip. One man needed weekly injections that he provided himself, it was a drug supplied by the Company for some unknown ailment. Despite Mac's best efforts, he couldn't gain the information on that man, and to this day, that failure haunts him. One week the man missed his dose by a single day, and he became incredibly aggressive. Mac, not expecting a hostile patient, was quickly subdued. When he awoke, 3 people were dead, and they were in a hostage standoff with the man holding a gun to a child's head. Mac waited until the gunman turned the gun towards the hallway again before making his move. A precise cut with a scalpel ended the man's life.

Being both a Doctor and a killer, Mac suffered multiple breakdowns on the round trip the colony ship made. But thankfully before making it to the colony world, Mac had the frame of mind to download all the medical history and steal and analyze several of the patient's medicines before their landing. The Company came in and took all their medical records and wiped the drives to hide all signs of their work. Mac still doesn't know what the chemical does, and he's afraid to do too much public research because he feels it will draw unwanted attention. But he's still determined to discover what caused such a terrible series of events.

ABILITIES:  STRENGTH 2 | AGILITY 3 | WITS 4 | EMPATHY 5

HEALTH:  2

SKILLS:  Mobility 2 | Observation 2 | Medical Aid 3 | Survival 2| Cometech 1|

TALENT: FIELD SURGEON

You know the delicate art of stopping a wound from bleeding and treating grave injuries. You get a +2 modifier to MEDICAL AID when treating someone about to die from critical injury (see page 99).

SIGNATURE ITEM: Psych Evaluation

GEAR: $500 Cash;
Surgical Kit OR (IRC MK.50 compression suit)

(D6 Doses of Naproleve) OR D6 Doses of Never-sleep

(Personal Medkit) OR D6 doses experimental X drugs

(Samani E-Series Watch) OR Hand Radio

BUDDY: -----

RIVAL: Wilson

Edited by Xerin (see edit history)