Closed Game  ·  1 member

Empire City

5 hours ago, zeone3000 said:

I was inspired by Across the Spider-Verse to go for this universe's version of Spider-Man.

A spiderman that would be pretty cool, do you need some help or at least got an idea of what kind of twist your Spiderman would have?

Hm. So, I saw the Swarm power, and thought it would be really cool to have a hero who could do that. But I was wondering, how would you design a power that, like, allowed him to split into buckshot, shoot himself through the enemy, then reform on the other side? Like, I would do some sort of teleport and damage power in MnM, but I don't know what I would do in this system.

Most of what I was thinking otherwise could be done with Alternate Form, or Swarm, or whatever, but yeah.

Just wondering if it would be feasible, or too expensive, or whatever.

Or powers that could absorb matter. Healing with Transform? For an inorganic hero that constructs himself from raw materials around him?

3 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Hm. So, I saw the Swarm power, and thought it would be really cool to have a hero who could do that. But I was wondering, how would you design a power that, like, allowed him to split into buckshot, shoot himself through the enemy, then reform on the other side? Like, I would do some sort of teleport and damage power in MnM, but I don't know what I would do in this system.

Most of what I was thinking otherwise could be done with Alternate Form, or Swarm, or whatever, but yeah.

Just wondering if it would be feasible, or too expensive, or whatever.

Or powers that could absorb matter. Healing with Transform? For an inorganic hero that constructs himself from raw materials around him?

The Swarm can already attack, so this part would not even worry about it too much.

Now what I would do: Take the teleport attribute, give it the dependent limiter, making it dependent on Swarm (so this power need to be active) it would simply mean you can teleport while the swarm is active. I would recommend picking at least one extra action attribute level so you can do both in the same turn easily. It shouldn't cost too much.

For the second one, Regeneration with conditional limiter (requires raw materials nearby, the substance can be common but need to be something relatively specific) which essentially would have different levels of intensity which you should be able to find average magnitude fairly often (3 health points healed each round) and finding stronger or lower magnitude would be uncommon.

Hm. Summon Creatures seems interesting, but how does it work for like stats of animals? I could see it for utility, but it mentions having them attack, and I am imagining a horde of squirrels attacking Tempest's enemies.

What if it were limited to, say, insects? Would it just be a useless power, or could it summon swarms instead of like 30 ants?

39 minutes ago, KingGoblin said:

Hm. Summon Creatures seems interesting, but how does it work for like stats of animals? I could see it for utility, but it mentions having them attack, and I am imagining a horde of squirrels attacking Tempest's enemies.

What if it were limited to, say, insects? Would it just be a useless power, or could it summon swarms instead of like 30 ants?

It could be a swarm, but would say you might want to consider getting higher level for more insects. The dimensional enhancement is +2 but with the limiter: Narrow category: insects -1 come in handy as you are bringing insects variant from any dimensions/planes/magical realms etc...so maybe in some dimension insects are as big as bears for example and other weirdness.

Oooh, that does sound interesting. Like now I am thinking of a weird entomologist who somehow summons dinosaur bugs and turns into a swarm of trilobites, or something.

Swarm says in the description, "When transformed into a Swarm, the character cannot use any of their existing Attributes. The actions of the Swarm are limited to three options: move, observe, and attack." So, would a Teleport power work with that if it was limited to while in Swarm? Or flight? Would someone with Swarm be able to, say, go through a crack in a window, or would I need to buy Change State to do that too?

Edit: or, I guess, a teleport attribute could handle that too.

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, KingGoblin said:

Oooh, that does sound interesting. Like now I am thinking of a weird entomologist who somehow summons dinosaur bugs and turns into a swarm of trilobites, or something.

Swarm says in the description, "When transformed into a Swarm, the character cannot use any of their existing Attributes. The actions of the Swarm are limited to three options: move, observe, and attack." So, would a Teleport power work with that if it was limited to while in Swarm? Or flight? Would someone with Swarm be able to, say, go through a crack in a window, or would I need to buy Change State to do that too?

True, I forgot that, so technically yeah it doesn't work.

Well then, unless you really want to do a swarm, I would suggest the weapon attribute since it can represent any kind of attacks, give it range if you want to be a ranged attack of course and can use it with teleport.

Depends on the swarm really, a swarm of bugs would be able to go throught the crack of a window, but swam of crows might have a harder time unless they break the window.

So it's less crunch, more what makes sense for the story? Still kind of weird, a swarm of crows should be able to fly around, even if the character can't otherwise. But yeah.

Probably will drop the teleporting shotgun guy thing, but interdimensional bug guy still sounds fun

The attributes will basically do what they say, but usually there is always enough GM discretion to deal with the rest, add on top of it that attributes have different sources (like one using magic, while another uses psychic powers etc...). Interdimensional bug guy sounds fun. Embracing the superhero zaniness also works well (like someone who makes their powers detectable, can increase the effective level of their attributes while basically doing their superhero thing).

4 hours ago, GleefulNihilism said:

Got to say, it's premature to do this but it's fun to consider the possible connections.

Between characters? If so, I was coincidently thinking about on my drive home.

I've created a character thread as I finally settled in on a concept. Basically going to be a cybernetically enhanced human with a patina of 'water hero'. A deep sea diver doing industrial work gets nearly killed by an alien(atlantean maybe?) device and they pull the 'we have the technology, we can rebuild him. Better, Stronger, Faster' line out of the playbook. They just don't have the right blueprints for a standard human, so they go a little overboard on some things and 'help him out' by making his deep sea breathing apparatus all internal and self maintaining.

1 hour ago, coreal said:

I've created a character thread as I finally settled in on a concept. Basically going to be a cybernetically enhanced human with a patina of 'water hero'. A deep sea diver doing industrial work gets nearly killed by an alien(atlantean maybe?) device and they pull the 'we have the technology, we can rebuild him. Better, Stronger, Faster' line out of the playbook. They just don't have the right blueprints for a standard human, so they go a little overboard on some things and 'help him out' by making his deep sea breathing apparatus all internal and self maintaining.

@Rogers said he’d do some things Monday then hasn’t logged in since Sunday, we’re hoping things are alright.

Did have a thought for this though. If Dragonfly gets the nod then there’s a small flotilla of alien ships that a community of Parousian refugees fleeing the Haud call home, just outside the entrance to Empire City Harbor. And they have a policy of never outright sharing their technology with Humans. It’s kind of easy to imagine the Navy having a secret mission to steal some of their tech, your character getting caught in an automated defense system, and things going from there.

Doesn’t explain being built back better, but it starts to weave a few stories together.