Act 2: Trouble on Herool's Truce

TheRealSife

Cheliyxx1.png.2b741ea675945d4357ac1c6a7e9853d8.png
Taking a seat next to Karrik, Cheliyxx reaches over to grab ahold of the jar. "I have a feeling it is not just spices inside this jar," the Xxcha says as he looks around casually to see who might be paying them attention. Moving the jar close to his chest, he shifts his body slightly to use his shell to hide it as he unscrews the lid to the jar, then reaches a hand inside to fish around for what may be buried within. "Best we find it now, before it gets snatched again," he whispers to the others at the table in explanation.

Hacan.JPG.4a6bcfa103cfe33f66880e48481f7bbc.JPG"I was hoping you might be able to tell me I'm afraid. Those spices are valuable certainly, but.." Rayla begins to answer Karrik.

He stops when Cheliyxx's search bears fruit. Rooting around in the spices for a moment he finds a small data drive.

"Oh my!" Rayla exclaims "that must have been what they were after."

He proceeds to pull out a small Savant, a kind of portable personal computer that is ubiquitous across the Galaxy.

"Try slotting it into this," he says as he hands the Savant over to Cheliyxx.

Once inserted it becomes clear that the drive contains just one thing, a set of coordinates leading to somewhere on the dark side of Herool's Truce.

Jana

Jana is not shocked at the revelationspacer.png, but it's certainly curious, especially as the deceased is presumably their contact they were looking for, so it would only make sense to make some last minute contingencies. She asks Rayla: "Excuse us, but we're not terribly familar with the layout, can you please tell us what lies on the coordinates?"

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

Hacan.JPG.4a6bcfa103cfe33f66880e48481f7bbc.JPGRayla raises his eyebrows at the question and let's out a bark of laughter, something you weren't sure was possible given his species' physiology.

"I'm a afraid that's a little like pointing to a spot in the middle of an ocean and asking me to describe the topography of the sea floor. The dark side of this planet is mostly unexplored due to the uninhabitable environmental conditions."

Thinking about it for a moment, he adds, "The Scavengers Guild does organize expeditions out there to scout for mineral deposits and salvageable wreckage from the old war, they are our primary suppliers for our offworld shipping ventures. They are the only ones I can think of who might have any idea as to what's out there."

Jana

Jana smiles at the reaction.spacer.png "You see, I told you we're not familiar, this all makes sense, then. Can you give us your contact at the Scavanger's Guild or better yet, act as an intermiediary for us to organize such a trip? I have a feeling we better not waste the time, another wave of assassins can appear any time."

spacer.png
Wounds 0/11 | Strain 3/14
"The plot thickens and it seems we have our next destination laid out for us," Karrik said with a confident nod. "We must make the Scavengers Guild see our side, and that helping us to this place is in their best interest."

Turning to Rayla, Karrik said, "I offer you comfort in your time of need."

Hacan.JPG.4a6bcfa103cfe33f66880e48481f7bbc.JPGRayla agrees to take you all to the scavengers guild and introduce you to his contacts there, though he warns that he has never known them to be motivated by anything other than aurei so not to get your hopes up about getting them to help out for free.

Before you go the server comes by and, seeing you are about to head out, offers to make you some meals to go.

OOC

Anyone who wants to partake can buy some food for 10 Aurei, if you do then the next time you make a roll to recover strain at the end of this 'Act' you can add 2 blue boost die to the roll.

spacer.png
Karrik nodded to the offer for food, packing it away for the inevitable long travel in their very near future.

"Any help you can give us more than you already have is much appreciated, Rayla. The Keleres will not forget this kindness," he said as the group departed.

OOC

I'll buy food.

Nodding in agreement with his two ompanions, Cheliyxx says, "Yes indeed. Many thanks for your assistance. We are very sorry about your friend. We will do what we can to ensure their death was not in vain." Glancing to the server, the Xxcha agrees to the meal; all the walking and talking and fighting had left him feeling peckish, and it was likely more excitement was n their near future.

The Scavenger’s Guild is part business office, part cartographer’s den, and is located in the first floor of a building that dates back over two thousand years. As you make your way there from The Hearth Rayla explains a little about the place.

"It exists because the industry on Herool’s Truce is based around the extraction of natural resources from the uninhabited dark side of the planet. That side of the tidally locked world is perpetually shrouded in night, and is extremely cold, making it an unfriendly environment to most species. However, with specialized equipment and access to starships, mining can be quite lucrative, my house has done very well here. The greatest challenge for any would-be prospector is knowing where to dig—and that is where the Surveyors Guild comes in. Paid by the Commission to map the dark side of the planet, this group of has the best data about the dark side of the planet."

As you enter the building, Rayla directs your attention to two identical looking Letnev women who stand behind a counter at the back of the room, the pair wear rugged gear suitable to depart on an adventure to the dark side at a moment’s notice.

"Those are Tarom and Lanom Calinof, don't bother trying to figure out which is which. They are some of the best informed people on this planet when it comes to the dark side, If they don't have the answers you're looking for, no one does," Rayla says.

spacer.png
As Rayla explained the details, Karrik scanned the interior of the building. It was old, but that didn't necessarily mean it needed revered. In fact, he found it rather unimpressive, but said nothing of it.

"Cheliyxx, I believe this is your mode of expertise. Hopefully you can secure us a good deal without taking all our aurei," he offered as he swept his head toward the counter.

Turning back to Rayla, Karrik asked, "Have you ever been to the dark side? I would assume it gets so cold we need to wear special suits?"

"But of course," Cheliyxx says with a nod in response to his companion. Turning towards the two ladies, the Xxcha walks across the room, head held high as he goes. When he reached the counter the two women stand behind, he offers both of them a wide smile and a polite nod. "Good day, Mrs. and Mrs Calinof! I am Undersecretary Cheliyxx. I hope you both are doing well. My companions and I are interested in visiting the dark side of the planet, and were told you two are the very best to lead us there. We are in the right place, are we not?"

There are a few other people in the room, some look like merchants and others are dressed like the two sisters. Mostly they take no notice of Cheliyxx as they bend over maps and to discuss their latest ventures or haggle over various aspects of contracts.

The sisters are leaned against their counter casually as they observe the goings on around them, but as soon as Cheliyxx's destination is clear their eyes lock onto him and a pair of almost predatory smiles appear on their faces.

"Well, hello there hansom," one of the sister says as Cheliyxx approaches them.

"This is the right place alright. The only place in fact, if the dark side is what your interested in," the other continues.

"But what's an important politician like you doing way out here?" says the first.

"Your not our usual type, but we can always make an exception," finishes the second.

Smiling, Cheliyxx makes sure to pay attention to both sisters as equally as he can, making eye contact with each in turn as he replies. "I'll be happy to discuss our business, ladies, once we're somewhere a little more...private. Matters of national security and all that. I'm sure you know how these things go. Some bigwig gets it in their head they know best, and next thing you know, here someone like myself is to do the dirty work."