Act 2: Trouble on Herool's Truce

TheRealSife

spacer.png
Wounds 0/11 | Strain 3/14
The state of the place made Karrik sigh with disappointment. He found the smell of oil-powered machinery to be too potent and obtrusive. The diversity of the species was exciting for him, though. He'd never actually met a Hylar, but the different sub-species and their strange mechs didn't disappoint the stories of them.

The Gashlai were perhaps the strangest, but Shikrai were no stranger to strange science. He'd enjoy having a chat with one over lunch sometime.

"Greetings, Captain Zarran. I am Karrik aun Charrik. My companions and I are Keleres, here on official business. We are not here to intrude on your everyday activities. Much the opposite. Ours is a mission of good will--to help maintain peace in the galaxy. What better way than to visit the places we are protecting? Herool's Truce is, as you say, far removed from the council's location. We could see if anything has changed--either with your government or your people. Would you grant us such clemency willingly?"
Name
Presence + Charm and use a Story Point to upgrade
genesys(1,1,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 7,5,8,6

Captain Zarran hesitates for a moment at Karrik's explaination, but recovers quickly and says, "I see, I'm afraid dealing with matters of galactic peace are somewhat above my station. You may want to speak with my superior, Margrave Ortlov. He is currently in the Council Chambers with the rest of the tribunal. Alternatively you might want to visit the Trade Sector, that is where most offworlders spend their time."

Jana

Jana stiffens a bit as she hears the superior's name. "Much appreciated, Captainspacer.png, we may follow up with him a bit later. Thank you for the hospitality, we'll just be on our way to freshen up a little after our journey.", says, with a rather forced smile. She's more the person of direct action, after all.

She's not happy about the mention of Margrave Ortlov - she doesn't know him personally, but this tells her they're already under mostly unwanted scrutiny, as if the Captain mention him to them, she probably will do so the other way around. Not that she wouldn't do something like that, but still - right after they're out of earshot, she relays her thoughts to her companions, as well.

spacer.png
Karrik allowed Jana to answer, thankful to have some help in the matter. He nodded gently at the suggestion to see her superior.

As the group made their way away from Captain Zarran, the Shikrai asked, "Do you think it would benefit us to meet this Margrave before the Captain has a chance to mention us? Or will that only look more suspicious?"

Not wishing to admit it, Karrik coughed into his hand. "I apologize if my words have put us in a tough place...I tried to keep things as above board and vague as possible. It's...not technically untrue what I said..."

Cheliyxx1.png.2b741ea675945d4357ac1c6a7e9853d8.png

Cheliyxx forced a smile at Karrik's words. "You didn't do too bad, my friend. But perhaps, next time, you let someone more used to fencing with words do the talking, eh?" Turning his attention to the human, the Xxcha addressed her revelation. "While you may have history with this Major, I'm surely we can convince them to leave us be. We have the Council's authority to back us, after all. Although, perhaps we should save that for a later date. For now, I suggest we start asking around for our missing friend. Agreed?"

Jana

"Ispacer.png don't know this Margrave character, have no history with him whatsoever, but I know the type and have my suspicions - I would think we got their attention, what normally I would want to avoid. I don't think we should show up just yet, let's get to our task before any intervention from the locals, the sooner the better."

pelpionne.png.2d563d57f91e8d0dae7d4bde3a276fc5.png
"It may be that we can find our subject through meeting this tribunal," Pelopionne offers. "If someone made Cats-Paw disappear and covered their traces they could be difficult to track. But given we are searching for ancient technology and the L1Z1X perhaps these presumably-well-informed entities might provide knowledge or resources even if they don't fully understand the import." They pause for a moment. "But I agree that being guided by the undersecretary in matters of diplomacy seems the best course."

Letnev1.jpg.7842f5b6a223b31e0f94cc99a7d0c67e.jpgAt the center of The Span’s Government Sector are the Tripartite Council Chambers. This is the nexus of power on Herool’s Truce. Captain Zarran, who volunteered to lead you here, is one step ahead of you as your party navigates the massive structure that was once a Letnev warship.

After following a series of labyrinthine metal corridors whose decking is burnished with age, you emerge suddenly from an antiquated ship’s lift into a spacious, triangular compartment with a sunken central pit. Each of the three long bulkheads are decorated with the disparate aesthetics of a different species: Letnev feudal banners and bas-relief portraits; animated Hylar didactical sphere-screens; a glowing Gashlai plasma mural. Each bulkhead is pierced by a large, open door which is flanked by a pair of guards of that species. Each side of the pit is lined with a score of seats befitting its species, while a three-sided dais rises in the center.

Your group have entered through the doorway decorated with Letnev banners, and before you can say anything Captain Zarran's voice booms out, drawing the attention of the three councilors who had been conversing at the central dais.

"Councilors! I present agents of the Kelere's here on an important mission concerning galactic peace!"

With that the captain nods to your party and falls in line with the other Letnev guards stationed in the room, adopting a military stance as though awaiting further orders.

The three councilors each represent one of the three species which make up the majority of the population of Herool's Truce. Of the three of them it is the Letnev who speaks first. He looks your party up and down with a barely detectable note of disdain in his expression as he says, "Keleres, I am Margrave Ortlov and these are my companions Doctor Ragiphom and Delagate Fliqrr. I am in charge of the management of security on this planet, and I assure you everything is well in hand here. This is a quiet world, overlooked and largely forgotten by the galaxy at large. I am sure whatever threat to galactic peace Captain Zarran spoke of will not be found here."

Stepping forward, the Xxcha offers the three councilors a polite bow. Upon straightening, he smiles at each in turn as he looks them over for a moment each, then settles his attention and gaze on the Margrave. "Margrave Ortlov, esteemed councilors, allow me to introduce myself: I am Undersecretary Cheliyxx, Keleres Liasion. And these are my companions." He half-turns, gesturing to the gorup behind him, before turning back towards the dais. "While I hope that what you say is true, Margrave, the Council has reason to believe the L1Z1X will take an interest in your world, if they have not already. We are here to ascertain whether these fears are founded or not.

I know not every planet welcomes the Keleres, that we are seen as meddlers at best. However, I assure you, we are only here to help you and your people. Unless you'd rather face the L1Z1X alone?"

Name
roll
genesys(1,2,0,2,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) 1,4,10,4,7,7

spacer.png
Internalizing the sting of disapproval from his fellow companions, Karrik carried on as if nothing had happened. He noted the impressive--if old--architecture of the council chambers. Once inside the inner chamber, he let out a low whistle.

Karrik hadn't expected such an announcement, but hearing it echo throughout the room made his heart stir with pride. The Keleres were meant to be heralds and he could think of no better way to show it.

As the group was introduced, Karrik gave a low nod but never let his eyes leave the councilors.

Cheliyxx's forthcoming information caused the Shikrai to raise an eyebrow, but he said nothing.

Jana

Jana spacer.png sort of stays in th background, letting her more diplomatocally inclined members do the talking, watching the faces of the council to gauge their attitude towards the team.

Gashlai1.jpg.87787596641ea0d54adba96f52c57b85.jpgA voice cuts in with a strange brassy echoing quality to it as it is filtered through the metallic suit that encases the Gashlai counselor, "Come on now Orty, stop giving the young ones a hard time."

The Margrave narrows his eyes narrows his eyes at his companion, "For the thousandth time you insufferable fool, my name is not 'Orty'," he says with a voice as cold as the dark side of this planet.

"Ah don't be such a wet blanket," Delegate Fliqrr replies, "besides, Ragy agrees with me, don't you Doc?"

"What?... Oh um... yes... sure", Doctor Ragiphom's voice is young and female, though clearly computer generated as it originated from her mech's speakers. She seems almost surprised to suddenly be included in the conversation and clearly isn't paying much attention to the goings on.

Margrave Ortlov sighs in exasperation and turns back to your party, gritting his teeth as he says, "Very well Keleres, it seems the majority of our council supports your cause. Isn't democracy grand?"

The last comment is delivered with a note of dry sarcasm. The Letnev culture, as you all know, is traditionally organized as a military aristocracy.

Continuing, he says, "We will offer you what information we can about Herool's Truce to aid you in your mission, if need be Captain Zarran can even guide you anywhere you would like to go within The Span. So, what is it we can help you with?"

OOC

Those 2 net threat will give a black setback die to the next check made in this scene as Ortlov is clearly displeased with being overruled, interfering with the Keleres' ability to act.

Edited by TheRealSife (see edit history)

Nodding politely in thanks to all three councillors, Cheliyxx offers them all a wide smile. "The Keleres and, by extension the Council, thanks you for your cooperation, as do I and my team. I assure you, we have no interest in interfering with your running of this fine planet. As the area where any lifeform can safely function here is relatively small, checking for L1Z1X presence should go rather quickly. Although, of course, we want to be thorough. Tell me, are there any ancient ruins that may interest them? Anything from the old Imperium, perhaps?"

Hylar2.jpg.e2a1ff461ffb1d80afb9c90f23768d45.jpgIt is Delegate Fliqqr who answers, saying, "It's like you folks said, the habitable band of this planet is thin and pretty well completely explored by now. No ancient ruins to speak of unless you count this old rust bucket."

He knocks the dais the three councilors are standing at to emphasize his point, clearly referring to the ancient Letnev battle ship that has been repurposed to make up both this room and a large part of the city.

"As for the uninhabited day and night hemispheres, well who knows what's out there? My people's unique physiology allows us to survive on the day side, but there simply aren't enough of us to have explored it all. As for the night side, there are regular mining operations that occur there, though specialized environment gear is a must."

Ortlov cuts in the adding, "You should speak to the Surveyors Guild in the Trade Sector. They make a career mapping out the dark side for mineral deposits and selling the coordinates to the highest bidder. If anyone would have records of what's out there it would be them."

"As far as outsiders go," He continues, "the only significant presence of off-worlders are the Hacan merchants. They're the ones who actually buy the minerals from us and ship them off to be resold elsewhere in the Galaxy. They'll be in the Trade Sector as well."

"The Hacan… such a friendly people…" Doctor Ragiphom chimes in.

Jana

"Thank you for the hospitality, all af you",spacer.png says Jana, and looks pointedly at Ortlov as she speaks the last words. "We should head to the Guild, then, as we wouldn't want to intrude any longer.", and it is at least as much to her companions, as to the councillors.