Chance - Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer

An idea I had and will be working on. Comments and critique always welcome.

Chance

Destiny's Wildcard

Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer

#dnd from Pettifog Draws Things

"And I just have Two Pair. Two Queens, and Two More Queens..."

SORCERER 3

Medium Humanoid Male (Tiefling), Chaotic Neutral

Armor Class 12 (14 mage armor)

Hit Points 20 ( 8 + 2d6 + 4 )
Speed 30' ft.

Senses Darkvision 60, Passive Perception 10

Languages Common, Infernal

Proficiency Bonus +2

ABILITIES & SKILLS 

Proficiency Bonus: +2

Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
Athletics -1

Dexterity 14 (+2) 
Save +2
Acrobatics +2 | Sleight of Hand +4 | Stealth +2

Constitution 14 (+2)
Save +2
No skills associated.

Intelligence 11 (+0)
Save +0 
Arcana +2 | History +0 | Investigation +0 | Nature +0 | Religion +0

Wisdom 10 (+0)
Save +0 
Animal Handling +0 | Insight +0 | Medicine +0 | Perception +0 | Survival +0

Charisma 17 (+3) 
Save +5 
Deception +5| Intimidation +3 | Performance +3 | Persuasion +5

Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Disguise, Forgery
  • Instruments Dice, Cards
  • Weapons Dagger, Dart, Sling, Quarterstaff, Crossbow, light
  • Armors None

SORCERER CLASS ABILITIES

Flexible Casting | Sorcerous Origin (Wild Magic) | Sorcery Points (3) | Metamagic (Heightened, Quickened) | Tides of Chaos | Wild Magic Surge

RACIAL TRAITS

Darkvision | Fiendish Resistance | Infernal Legacy

FEATS

False Identity

WEAPONS

WEAPONS

• Moon-Touched Dagger +4 to hit for (1d4+2) piercing damage. | Finesse, light, thrown (20/60), Moon-Touched
  • Light Crossbow +4 to hit for (1d8+2) piercing damage. | Ammunition, two-handed (80/320)

SPELLS

SPELL SLOTS 4/4 (1st), 2/2 (2nd)

• Sorcerer- Spell Save DC: 13 | Spell Attack Mod: +5

CANTRIPS (Sorcerer)

Mage Hand | Mind Silver | Minor Illusion | Presdigitatiom | Thaumaturgy

FIRST LEVEL (Sorcerer)

Hellish Rebuke | Mage Armor | Magic Missle

SECOND LEVEL (Sorcerer)

Invisibility | Misty Step

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE ( lbs.)

• Weight: 120 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH (0.3 lbs.)

Copper: 0 | Silver: 0 | Gold: 15 | Obsidian: 0 | Platinum: 0

(15 x .02 lbs. = 0.3 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPEMENT (21 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

• Armor (4 lbs.) Traveler's Clothes - 4 lbs.
  • Weapons (5 lbs.) Light Crossbow - 5 lbs | Dagger - 1 lb.
  • Pouch - 1 lb
  • Crossbow Bolt - 1.5 lbs
  • Waterskin - 5 lb (full)
  • Disguise Kit
  • Bedroll - 7 lb
  • Rations - 2 lbs
  • Rope, Hemp - 10 lbs
  • Tinderbox - 1 lb
  • Mess Kit - 1 lb
  • Backpack - 5 lbs
  • Fine Clothes - 6 lbs
  • Torch 1 lb
  • Component Pouch - 2 lbs
  •      

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

ATTUNED (0/3)

APPEARANCE

Age Adult | Height 5' 10" | Weight ~160 lbs. | Hair Dark Red| Eyes Yellow | Complexion Red

"Gentleman! The game is Sword Coast Hold 'Em. No Limit, Spies and Knaves are Wild, Dueces are Dueces but you have to take a drink, and the Queen of Hexes is Watching."

If he was a normal human he'd look like a handsome bard playing on a stage in a bawdy tavern. He always smiles like he's on the inside of a joke and he'll tell you for a few coins. He probably would be a shifty con-artist if he didn't have some interestingly magical ancestry and it shows. That's his story and he's sticking to it. His prefernce for loose clothing and an attempt to live a stress-free lifestyle shows. There's pretty much always a twinkle of mischief in his eyes, but no real sadism.

An obvious tiefling, it's depressingly easy to jump straight to assuming he's a demon or a devil with his red skin, yellow eyes, horns, and tail. Interestingly, testing has found that while there is some Fiend in his bloodlines it's actually very dilute, just from sheer dumb luck that his fiendish attributes are so accented and visible. Quick to joke, quick to get a card game going, quick to get and buy drinks if he can afford it, he's just trying to live life. Is it so wrong?

BACKGROUND

CHARLATAN
Source PhB

• Favorite Scheme:  Cheating at Games of Chance
  • Personality Traits: I'm a born gambler who can't resist taking a risk for a potential payoff. I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humor is inappropriate.
  • Ideals: I am a free spirit – no one tells me what to do.
  • Bonds: I fleeced the wrong person and must work to ensure that this individual never crosses paths with me or those I care about.
  • Flaws: I can't resist swindling people who are more powerful than me.

Background Feature: False Identity

BACKSTORY

They say that when the realm needs heroes, the Call can be heard. Maybe the Call comes by way of Faith, by Courage, or even by Fate itself. When the Realm has Need, the Call comes and Heroes answer. If that is the case, then Chance has been actively Refusing the Call to Adventure for a long time now. Whoever his birth parents were they rejected him, for no good reason it turned out if nobody realized that until later. As a street urchin of course he had to learn how to steal and hide his Tiefling nature to survive. When he actually got fairly good at it he noticed that occasionally he'd just get lucky with it and just found his niche instead of honing his thieving craft.

After cutting off a potential future with a Thieves Guild, he was found and raised by a Church orphanage - but never got into the dogma. With hindsight he can honestly think of many oppurtunities he's had to become an Adventurer and him shooting down every single one, sometimes on purpose. Chance's ideal life is one relatively stress-free and leasurely. Hearing of Vance's adventurer's school, Chance has moved to be closer to it - because Adventurers are relatively easy marks for his cons and rigged games.

When found out you'd think people would be mad, but the magically inclined discovered something surprising. That he might have been cheating at games of chance to fleece adventurers - and sometimes he would do this by *somehow* magically influencing probability itself. Instead of being run out of town, a mysterous benefactor has paid his tuition. It wasn't an easy sell, and he still would prefer to avoid the stress and responsibility of an adventuring life but the idea of honing his magical gifts does admittedly have some appeal.

But here's the thing about trying to Control Luck. It rarely works out for everyone involved, and sometimes Chance's attempts have - let's say interesting results.

Edited by GleefulNihilism (see edit history)

Chance (Tielfing Sorcerer)

AC: 12 (14 mage armor) | HP: 20/20 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 10 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Didn't realize you were still going to post on the site, just a little slower. lol.

Decided to just put the moon-touched on a dagger. Was overthinking it.

I'm also open to the idea of tweeking the Wild Surge mechanics a bit to make them happen more often. If you are open to that too, let's talk about it.

Oooo! Can I see the table?

Yeah, my idea was going to be that it's 1 in 20 to start but every time a leveled spell is cast after using Tide it raises the odds of a surge by a notch until there is a Surge which resets the chances. Restoring the Tide use just stops the climb.

Whichever you want to do, wise and powerful DM.

• 2 weeks later...