The Reverend Dr. David Beaumont, Professor Emeritus - The Expert

Ezeze

9bed78a2-c5ea-4420-b702-735760dd7372.jpgDavid Beaumont was born in 1945 to devout protestants Richard Ashton Beaumont and his wife, Eleanor. When Richard exited the army and was appointed UK's ambassador to Morocco following its liberation from France he took a young David, as well as his older brother Thomas, with him.

David would spend his formative years bouncing around Northern Africa and Arabia with his family. He returned home to England in 1963 to attend his father's alma mater Oxford and to marry his childhood sweetheart Mary with whom he had maintained correspondence by mail for nearly the entirety of his time abroad.

Initially David studied comparative religion at Wycliffe Hall, but then tragedy struck. In November 1965 Mary was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. By the time they found it, it was far too late. With his parents' support David took a leave from his studies to travel the world with his young wife. Religion had always been important to the couple, but faith was truly a solace during the 21 months between Mary's diagnosis and death. So much so that when David finally returned to Oxford in 1968 he switched his course of study to pastoral services and devoted the remainder of his life to God. His renewed piety attracted the attention of the Monster Hunting Society. He joined the society at the age of 23, already a widower, searching either for a sense of purpose or for a way to rejoin Mary in heaven. He did not particularly care which he found.

He survived. He even continued to work for the society after he graduated in 1972 and was hired as pastor at St. Giles's church. He kept himself busy; working officially for the church, unofficially for the OUMHS, and pursuing his doctorate part time. He burned out in 1981, took a brief sabbatical, then after much prayer and reflection decided to change careers yet again. He returned to Wycliffe Hall, this time as a professor. He taught theology and comparative religion for 25 years - occasionally working, in a more hands-off role, as a consultant and mentor for the OUMHS.

David retired from his post as professor earlier this year. Now free from the duties of teaching and grading papers, David intends to lend more of his time and expertise to the OUMHS.

His brother Thomas, meanwhile, followed more closely in their father's footsteps. He studied at Oriel College and went into the military, had his own storied career (though he retired a decade ago), his own wife, and children and grandchildren who gladly call David "Uncle."

David is a thoughtful, soft spoken old man. Deeply faithful and highly educated. The author of a book or two. Godfather of several children - most of them now adults - even if he never had the opportunity to be a father himself. Couples David sanctified marriages for, and families he performed funerals for, at St. Giles still remember him fondly. He cares deeply for his fellow staff at Wycliffe, and many former students still sometimes come to him for advice with their own congregations. David is very much a venerable and beloved member of his community. He intends to protect it.

He dresses in comfortable earth tones. He rarely wears the collar of his priestly station but always wears his simple, golden wedding ring. Yes. Even now. With the 40th anniversary of Mary's passing just behind him.

Charm +1, Cool +1, Sharp +3, Tough -1, Weird +1

Basic Moves, plus

Often Right When a hunter comes to you for advice about a problem, give them your honest opinion and advice. If they take your advice, they get +1 ongoing while following your advice and you mark experience.

Preparedness When you need something unusual or rare, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, you have it here right now. On a 7-9 you have it, but not here; it will take some time to get it. On a miss, you know where it is, but it's somewhere real bad.

Haven My house. The basement has been modified over time under the assumption that one day I may be attacked here. It hasn't happened yet.

Lore Library. When you hit the books, take +1 forward to investigate the mystery (as long as historical or reference works are appropriate).

Infirmary. You can heal people, and have the space for one or two to recuperate. The Keeper will tell you how long any patient's recovery is likely to take, and if you need extra supplies or help.

Panic Room. This has essential supplies and is protected by normal and mystical means. You can hide out there for a few days, safe from pretty much anything.

Mobility (from The Professional playbook). 1995 Vauxhall Cavalier, beige. Good things: anonymous, tough. Bad thing: old.

Gear. Usually kept at home.

Blessed knife (2-harm hand holy)

Silver sword (2-harm hand messy silver)

Cold iron sword (2-harm hand messy iron)

Advances

1st advance: +1 Sharp (max 3)

2nd advance: Take a move from another playbook. Taking 'Mobility' from The Professional

3rd advance: +1 Charm

□ ■

Connections:

Halarch's grandmother, Branwen Peredur - Lady Percival, Mother Protector, The Exorcist of Downing Street - is the real deal. David had the absolute honor of working with her once or twice. At the time she was freshly divorced, and he widowed, and both of them in the same line of work. David admired Branwen, and having a man genuinely admire her was a new experience for Branwen, and, well.... Ah, but Branwen was more interested in nurturing her budding celebrity than being a wife, and even if the protestant church allows their priests to marry they don't (or, didn't) look kindly on the idea of marrying a divorcee, and anyway David would have wanted kids and Branwen already had enough of that, so nothing long-term could have come of it. Still, when Branwen needed someone to send Hal to for guidance and stability after his awakening, she sent him to Oxford and sent David a letter and a photo to ask him to look out for her grandson. And David is more than happy to.

One of the people in OUMHS when David was active was a guy named Uri Klausner. His parents had been holocaust survivors, hadn't spared any details of their experience when talking to their son, and to make it worse he was 5'4". He had a lot of anger in him and a burning need to pick fights with bigger people. Or bigger not-quite-people. And hard to believe it, but at the time David was looking to pick fights too, so the two got along very well. Until Uri died in the line of duty, fighting some over-bloated vampire. Could have been David just as easily, but it wasn't.

David sees more than a little bit of Uri in Ekram. He doesn't want history to repeat itself.

Edited by Ezeze (see edit history)

Thanks for this. I actually really like that David seems, I think, to be a genuinely good man. I kept expecting the dark twist, and I appreciated being surprised that there wasn't one. Every party needs a paladin 😛 . I also enjoyed the accuracy of the detail regarding his time at Oxford - well done.

I guess my main question regards roleplay is, at 62 ish, is he a young 62 or an old 62? I see Tough is -1 which makes sense when compared to the young hunters, and I assume his mind is sharp as ever, but is he generally fit, energetic and healthy?

The other quick question I had was about his house. Now, normally a bachelor in his situation would have apartments in Wycliffe Hall. It makes sense that he and Mary bought a house when they married. Is that the house he still lives in? And if so, what street is it on?

I'm glad you think so! I am very much wanting to play David as the best possible embodiment of the old priest archetype. Quietly steadfast in his faith. Nonjudgmentally encouraging those around him to do better. A font of traditional, proven wisdom. Someone for whom religion has done a lot, and who wants to see others benefit from it in the same way without being overly evangelical. Devoted to helping the new generation battle monsters both literal and metaphorical.

I'd say he's a young 62. In the very beginning of his retirement, raring to do things he couldn't do while he was working.

I think David very much does not consider himself a bachelor and would be disappointed in anyone who knew his personal story that insinuated that he was.

I hadn't given any thought to where his house was, but having now clicked around on Google Maps for a little while I feel almost certain that he owns one of those picturesque little townhouses on St. Bernard's road.

The one he purchased happened to have a cellar, and he turned that into a panic room.

Edited by Ezeze (see edit history)