Questions

Shocker

@tyrtaeusno need to hurry, I‘ll ultimately require the regular sheet on 8/1. it‘s something i plan to use during the campaign, it’s easier to reference those than the application sheets. Albeit those look so much prettier.

Hello, I am not new to D&D 5E or new to MW. Baldr is somewhat new to me. Still learning the ropes, but then I think that it is new to everyone. I see you only have 2 applications to far. Would you be okay if I made a character application? If you get enough new players to the game, then you should prioritize those ones over me. Thanks.

1 hour ago, WolfBirch said:

Hello, I am not new to D&D 5E or new to MW. Baldr is somewhat new to me. Still learning the ropes, but then I think that it is new to everyone. I see you only have 2 applications to far. Would you be okay if I made a character application? If you get enough new players to the game, then you should prioritize those ones over me. Thanks.

This game has a pretty long application period, but feel free to apply. I’m not opposed to more experienced players, other than that your expectations on the gm might not be met by me.

I'm not new to either D&D 5e or 3.5 or Mythweaver's however I'm new to Baldr. What might be helpful is an actual sheet template that can be used for our characters.

Hey. I’m another not-new player who eager to play this game. My application page is real light having documented everything on the linked character sheet. I really liked the constraint of building a PHB-only character. It reminded me why I enjoy 5e.

My only question at the moment is do you want us to finish our backstory explaining why we are in the town? Or do you want us to find a reason to guard a caravan heading to town, so the player-characters are all friendly and together before hitting town? Or neither?

cheers

47 minutes ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

Hey. I’m another not-new player who eager to play this game. My application page is real light having documented everything on the linked character sheet. I really liked the constraint of building a PHB-only character. It reminded me why I enjoy 5e.

My only question at the moment is do you want us to finish our backstory explaining why we are in the town? Or do you want us to find a reason to guard a caravan heading to town, so the player-characters are all friendly and together before hitting town? Or neither?

cheers

Good question, I think I have found an alternative to “you meet in a tavern” that should give a party of strangers at least a reason to know each other by name. As far as backstories go, I’ll try to incorporate them were possible, but if you can find a simple reason why your character is going to Phanladin (Rumors, Adventure, need for money etc) that would be helpful.

As I have said before every application is welcome. Was driven to run this campaign, by the discussion in the Baldr new player event, something that I thought would be a good idea. I’m very pleased so far with how many responses I got in this short period of time, even from more experienced players.

Here a question to those experienced players, how do GM usually handle feedback, this is a learning experience for me as well, so I’m looking actively for feedback on what worked for your guys, and what sets your teeth on edge?

38 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Here a question to those experienced players, how do GM usually handle feedback, this is a learning experience for me as well, so I’m looking actively for feedback on what worked for your guys, and what sets your teeth on edge?

Hmm. I love feedback. Let me share some random, personal opinions about play by post here.

• Application process will have a busy period for a couple of weeks and then taper off. Many players monitor the MW Games Ads page, even if games are run on BALDR to generate interest, and some players have developed habits of checking the Advertising page of BALDR. So if you don’t advertise on the Games Ads page, the busy period may be delayed a week or so
  • Players want to understand what kind of game the GM will run in order to tailor their application and test the boundaries of character submissions. By stating the starting position to arrive in town, at 1st level using only the PHB, you’ve answered most of the questions. But some players, don’t always read everything before asking questions
  • Some players will include lots of plot hooks in their backstory, but if you’re running a module, they’re less necessary or applicable
  • The application page(s) of the character is often used as the character sheet, so other GM’s often prefer a specific format which are usually complex formatting (but they look great). Using the BALDR character sheet is relatively new, but some GMs used the MW character sheets, so most players are familiar and use them, too
  • You’ll probably get over a dozen good applications, so selecting the right mix of characters and players will be a challenge. You probably want to select 6 to ensure that you have 4-5 after a few months. RL usually forces one of the players out of the game early
  • Stating your posting frequency expectation is also important to clarify commitment to the game. And develop a policy for late posters, such that the waiting doesn’t delay the game too much
  • Game posting frequency is the heart beat of the game. So pay close attention to it. Besides RL, some times players delay to post, because your last post was not terribly clear how to react
  • Also, learn what time zones your players are in and when they usually post, so you have a feel if your last post is clear enough by the lack of relatively immediate reaction posts

cheers

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

Hmm. I love feedback. Let me share some random, personal opinions about play by post here.

• Application process will have a busy period for a couple of weeks and then taper off. Many players monitor the MW Games Ads page, even if games are run on BALDR to generate interest, and some players have developed habits of checking the Advertising page of BALDR. So if you don’t advertise on the Games Ads page, the busy period may be delayed a week or so
  • Players want to understand what kind of game the GM will run in order to tailor their application and test the boundaries of character submissions. By stating the starting position to arrive in town, at 1st level using only the PHB, you’ve answered most of the questions. But some players, don’t always read everything before asking questions
  • Some players will include lots of plot hooks in their backstory, but if you’re running a module, they’re less necessary or applicable
  • The application page(s) of the character is often used as the character sheet, so other GM’s often prefer a specific format which are usually complex formatting (but they look great). Using the BALDR character sheet is relatively new, but some GMs used the MW character sheets, so most players are familiar and use them, too
  • You’ll probably get over a dozen good applications, so selecting the right mix of characters and players will be a challenge. You probably want to select 6 to ensure that you have 4-5 after a few months. RL usually forces one of the players out of the game early
  • Stating your posting frequency expectation is also important to clarify commitment to the game. And develop a policy for late posters, such that the waiting doesn’t delay the game too much
  • Game posting frequency is the heart beat of the game. So pay close attention to it. Besides RL, some times players delay to post, because your last post was not terribly clear how to react
  • Also, learn what time zones your players are in and when they usually post, so you have a feel if your last post is clear enough by the lack of relatively immediate reaction posts

cheers

Well, thank you very much, that is already something to keep my mind busy with. As far as i understand it the baldr character sheets are pretty much identical to those on MW, they also moved over nicely.
I knew about posting on MW for ads, but with the switch over date on 8/5 I didn’t feel this to be necessary.
I was going to ask, about time zones once I do have the party ready.

Is it appropriate to ask for an age range of players? I’m aware that the board is to remain generally family friendly, but with an all adult group I might chose different situations, than with younger players on the table. To be perfectly clear, I won’t use the age as a selection criterion, but as guidance what can be incorporated, being 47 myself.
A bard suddenly bursting in song “One dream, one goal, one prize one soul …” is going to get a very different response from somebody younger than somebody of my age.

If you’re interested, it’s normal for GM’s to request a player bio. People may state ages, but they are usually inferred.

Often the GM posts their own bio to provide a template of information desired, like age, kids, marital status, occupation, gaming experience, etc.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

I am not at all familiar with the setting of Dragons of Icespire Peak, is there any particular piece of literature I could read (other than the campaign book itself) or any hints of background stuff we should include in our character bios?

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, CraterShip said:

I am not at all familiar with the setting of Dragons of Icespire Peak, is there any particular piece of literature I could read (other than the campaign book itself) or any hints of background stuff we should include in our character bios?

Thank you!

I’d say keep it simple. The action happens around Phandalin close to the Sword Mountains, this is a strange region for everyone, places to explore and get to learn the place. I have been reading the whole adventure and started prepping, those missions have all the potential for turning nasty.

Not a newbie either, but as other games stall and die one must continue to RP somewhere 😉

I'm not quite the master of 5e that I was with PF1 just yet, but I could be helpful to a party that includes some newer players and to a newish GM. And a chance for me to try out a class I haven't gotten around to yet in 5e.

1 hour ago, The Foiler said:

Not a newbie either, but as other games stall and die one must continue to RP somewhere 😉

I'm not quite the master of 5e that I was with PF1 just yet, but I could be helpful to a party that includes some newer players and to a newish GM. And a chance for me to try out a class I haven't gotten around to yet in 5e.

Just to set expectations correctly there is nothing newish about the GM, brand spanking new would be the accurate term 😉. Feel free to drop your application.

Hey there, I’m absolutely not new to 5e but very new to Baldr (and in all honesty struggling a little bit to get to grips with the site). I’d love to put in an application for this game though as I’ve never been through or seen this module, although I’ve heard good things about it.

10 minutes ago, Melkar said:

Hey there, I’m absolutely not new to 5e but very new to Baldr (and in all honesty struggling a little bit to get to grips with the site). I’d love to put in an application for this game though as I’ve never been through or seen this module, although I’ve heard good things about it.

As stated before, I‘m not opposed to more experienced players putting their application in, just keep in mind that as a DM I‘m rather inexperienced, and might satisfy the needs of new players more likely than those of an experienced player like yourself.
the general concept for this campaign, is to learn together, hopefully having a good tine, or laughing insanely as we crash and burn.