Chapter 1: From the Darkness

Peacemonger

Hektor

Brunhild listens intently to Hektor, a look of empathy on his face as he briefly describes the problem at hand. It is when he mentioned the roots might be poisoned that her face changes to something more grim and worried. "My love." She turns to look at Gregor and though Hektor can't see the look she gives her husband, his own shift to a much more serious and sober demeanor says that he knows enough too. "Right then, let's be going quickly." Brunhild walks over behind her kitchen counter where her axe and shield are hanging and pulls them down.

It doesn't take long for everyone to meet up.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Hektor's seen other places, has witnessed royal knights whose skill and magical armaments are second to none. Still, it is a good comfort to be surrounded by the village's best, that at least should some bandits appear he'd likely be in good hands. They are outside the rookery, silent, until Macran breaks it.

"You both thinking what I am?" Macran's rough voice is unusually soft in this moment.

"Pat Rispa." Viktor says it first.

Pat Rispa disappeared some time back, less than a year, but over a couple seasons ago. They'd never found the body, except blood and some sort of strange animal markings. It was attributed to likely some sort of large predatory cat as wolves didn't attack people, only livestock, and it just didn't seem like the work of a bear. No doubt the incident left an impression on those that investigated it, enough to where they can make a quick conclusion of the similarities...

"You say the lock is missing?" It's Brunhild who inquires, though they all know the answer by this point.

It's a tense moment, and Hektor is smart enough to know that all three have ideas in their mind, they simply don't want to say it. It's Viktor who steps forward and kneels low inside the rookery. "That's the problem we had with Pat. We all thought it some beast. Wanted to assume it was. We couldn't figure out what sort though, because what we've got on our hands is a real monster, something vicious and far too clever than it aught to be."

"This assumes the monster's in the woods and not in the town itself." Macran offers the slight correction, to not make any assumptions.

There may be some in the village who wouldn't be able to follow along, but Hektor certainly can. There are monsters in the world, strange, magical, unnatural things that plague people. Hearth was always far removed from such things. It's only then that a sudden realization comes to him. In this moment, Hektor would almost certainly want to send one of his bird's to Crier's Cross to let them know and get some assistance from the much larger, much better armed community.

He can't though. His birds are dead.

Sheshi

spacer.png

Perhaps it is simply that Sheshi can handle the small dramas in the village well. Perhaps it is because of her upcoming departure that she holds a stronger drive. Or then again, perhaps it's simply fate, but Sheshi feels as in tune with Leaf as she's ever been. Usually it feels like having an actual leaf slip through her fingers in the wind. In this moment, she feels she has a hold of it.

Just as she is about the utter the first word, the room darkens. And then the fire dims. It is not the normal order of things, and Sheshi feels a cold sweat take hold of her. It feels as if she's drunk something old and rancid and needs to vomit it out, yet nothing comes.

For a moment all else disappears and within the shadows something looks back at her.

"Faith." It speaks in a voice that is icy, and harsh, and says the word as if it was poisonous.

Her eyes blink open and Olivia is looking wide-eyed at Sheshi. "What... what happened? Your eyes grew black. That's... are you all right?" Yes, Olivia will almost certainly be fine. Fine enough to put aside her wounded heart and consider Sheshi first. Within the priestess she has the most terrible feeling that something dark is nearby. No, she's certain of it. She looks down and sees she's been clutching tight onto her holy symbol.

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Macran Roll
1d20 19
Brunhild Roll
1d20+3 9
Viktor Roll
1d20 20

Bellamy "Ames" Woodcock

Bellamy's sigh of relief is audible when he sees Belluin through the window. He would not be able to explain why he was walking faster than his usual amble, but his heartbeat was skipping by the time he reached his sister's house. He reached out for the windowsill as she greeted him, the grip of his good hand stopping the shaking.

"Pleasant? I wouldn't go that far. Smells pleasant enough in there though, so aye." And he stepped inside. He shuffled awkwardly to the dining table, where a central pot of oat porridge waited by a pair of bowls and spoons, and bowls of honey, ham and milk. Given that she lived alone, this should have been noteworthy, perhaps even worth raising with his sister. But it didn't register as unusual until later. He opted to stand, his stone arm resting across the back of a chair. His stomach grumbled, but he barely noticed. Forfar stretched out across the front of the hearth, his usual spot (if infrequent visits could warrant such a description).

Bellamy knew he ought not to reveal all to Belluin; he didn't want to scare her. But all the same, he wanted her to know something was afoot.

"There was an… incident out at Redgrove's, yester's eve. I'll no burden you with the details but… I wanted to make sure all was well out here. Keep your hens cooped today." He added the last after a moment's pause, not meeting her eyes. From what he saw at Hektor's, a coop wouldn't be enough, but he didn't know what else to advise.

He cleared his throat, tapped his stone arm on the chair. "You heard anything of the Crier's Cross news then, as light as it was? I didn't see you down at Pine's."

He didn't pry further with regards her absence, but would briefly update her on the little nuggets on gossip that were worth sharing.

"... and Trenton's hogs're fine." He didn't elaborate on that encounter.

Hektor Redgrove

Hektor looked to the sky for some reprieve from the whole ordeal. He found none and returned his gaze to the task at hand. One dread that had not surfaced was that of dealing with incompetency once he released it into the world. Instead, it had been met by a team of people willing to talk through and understand what was at stake. There was no need to overexplain or dance around topics with this particular group and Hektor also didn't feel outmatched in the ways of local news either, thus the conversation could remain on the task at hand and focus on a solution.

For that tiny gift, Hektor was thankful.

"Word should get to Crier's Cross." He said after a quick pause in the conversation. "I do not know what that word should say, but a warning seems apt."

Hektor lurched forward to join Brunhild near the door, her examination of the missing lock well underway. "There are beasts clever enough to get through a lock; raccoons, pixie wyverns, and perhaps ravens." He stopped short of explaining why he knew any of that, swallowed and continued, "There intent is to get inside and once the lock is picked, it becomes a forgotten act."

"I admit the lock itself was not complex. It was a simple hook and release chamber. But it served it's purpose." Hektor knew he was too highly focused on the lock itself now, but any other topic would waver into accusations and he wasn't prepared for that just yet.

He rubbed his chin and lips, his fingers brushing his mustache and catching beads of sweat that were slowly beginning to form. "I cannot fathom what this accomplished." His nerves bending but not breaking just yet, "Destruction for the sake of destruction."

SheshiImage

Sheshi sat down, hard, onto one of the pews and only then let go of her holy symbol, noticing as if through a fog the bright red line of blood that welled up from a cut across her middle and ring fingers from where the artistic 'leaf' within the symbol had cut her from gripping it too tight. Olivia gasped and went to, of all things, tear some of her dress to bind it, but Sheshi found her voice in time to stop her.

"It is just a small cut, Olivia. I... I..." She took a deep breath and calmed herself. "I will be fine, Olivia. Yes, something unusual happened, but it is not unheard of, and I am well. Our prayer has been sent out. Now we must see what happens next. Please, come talk to me again soon, I must finish preparations."

Sheshi quickly shooed Olivia out the door then, after only waiting a minute for the girl to be truly gone, put on her coat and followed her out the door. She knew who she needed to talk to.

Her feet started walking down the path that led to Lucredda Zan's place.

Bellamy

spacer.png

"Mm hm." Belluin often gives short responses. Bellamy knows that she can see through him as well as anyone, and she knows that he knows it. Still, she's normally polite enough to not to make him spell things out. She accepts something happened at Hektor's place, and her hens may be in danger. She doesn't pry.

She does however respond to the other piece about the news. "Ah yes, Ollivarth's news. I will miss it. No one has the enthusiasm for small things like that boy does." She truly means it in an endearing way, and her words also serve as a painfu reminder that yes, she still does intend to leave Hearth, and far beyond Crier's Cross. She did not go last night, because in less than a month, she'll be gone. Little need to hear news of a place you're leaving behind after all. "But yes, please share it with me."

She does listen and before Bellamy knows it he has a bowl and a mug of tea in front of him.

"What will do when I go away? I know you've friends here. The Uphills make for good clients and company. You're still young despite what your hair says. You really going to spend your life tending to the livestock of generation after generation of Uphills?" Dwarves are one of the longer lived races, Halflings not as much. It's a questions she's posed before, but not quite in this way.

Title

spacer.png

"Maybe." It's Macran who speaks up first. "Only... if I were to try to get news to Crier's Cross, it'd be with your birds. Now we have to send someone. Even a horse is slow for the first day's travel until the path opens up." If they're to send word, someone will indeed need to go in person. He rubs his temple in frustration. "This is above my paygrade. Don't want to send our best people away when the village may need them, don't want to send a fool either." It's some of the most revealing words the hunter has ever said, at least for Hektor. He's rarely one to state his opinion, pick favorites, or call anyone anything negative, let alone fool.

He does seem more than a little stressed.

"Don't want to panic no one, but this may be a bigger problem than the few of us can handle... should handle." He shakes his head. "This is going to take some negotiation." It's clear what he means from being in the village for so long. Letting everyone know a monster is around will mean at best everyone will disagree on what to do, at worst cause a full panic. Macran, in fact none of the three present, are much for negotiating with people. Other are better for that.

"Don't suppose you have any advice on the matter, teacher? Who to gather up, and what to do in the meantime before the news gets out?"

Sheshi

Olivia clearly didn't buy all of Sheshi's story, but she knows a closed mouth when she sees one, and allows herself to be nudged away. "A-all right then. Take care?" For all her bossiness and drama, Olivia's a nice enough girl when it counts.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Sheshi hurries along. The Zan homstread is outside the village proper. Fortunately Sheshi knows the way, and people know her well enough that when she has a certain look on her face, they won't try to stop and talk to her. She does get a curious glance from Trenton Lowbeard out for a morning strolling, and Tervalio Cobb off to who knows what kind of mischief.

The Zan's did pick a beautiful plot of land, one with a good view of the valley beyond. The home itself leaves something to be desired, a fence falling to pieces, and patchwork keep the roof together. Sheshi finds the three grown children first.

"Huh, and you really, really think it's love?" Amise's arms are crossed looking at her sister.

"Yes, I am certain he loves me." Viviel speaks in her absent-minded way.

"And do you got feelings for him?"

Viviel shrugs. "Maybe? Maybe not? I'll have to find out."

Samael looks downright forlorn off to the side. Then again, Sheshi, like most people, knows he's had a crush on Akakzi for years, and if she indeed did kiss Joe...

spacer.png

"A few kind words were not an invitation to my home, priestess." Lucredda's cold voice rings out as she steps out of the house, everyone else turning to Sheshi. "You have earned my respect, but there are few I invited to tea and brunch." She moves out a bit slow, Lucredda's joints in pain during the cold months, and the morning is still a bit chilly. "Unless you have other business?"

SheshiImage

Sheshi noted with one ear the talk of love here at the Zan household as well, but her attention was wholly for Lucredda.

"Business, Lucredda. I would not come uninvited otherwise." Sheshi stepped close so that the children couldn't hear.

"Something... strange... just happened when I prayed to Leaf. Have you tended to your own little gods today, Lucredda? Was anything... off?"

Hektor Redgrove

Hektor kept his eyes firmly on the rookery while Macran continued his assessment. It was easier to hear the man with his eyes fixed on something right now. The man's words were true to a fault, and that honesty made them feel worse somehow. It took Hektor a moment to realize that the last question had been directed at him. He pulled his gaze away and blinked away the fog from them.

"Ames already knows. He was with me when I found it this way last night. No doubt he's told others." Those accusations were starting to slip out of him now. "So include him because he'll only tell tales if left alone."

Hektor paused, again pressing his hand to his chin. His mind meandered through the streets of town and pictured each of the people as he would cross them if given the chance to walk it for real. It occurred to him that many of them were acquaintances at best and no one stood out as being preferably more important than another. His mental wander landed on the elven woman too for a brief moment before dismissing her as yet another busy body.

"Telling one person may be enough to tell everyone, I'm afraid." He finally concluded. "This town is not so big that people need find reason to not whisper."

spacer.pngAkakzi Sriro

Akakzi almost stopped to say hi to Joe, get his attention and figure out why he was frowning. Why was he frowning!?

But being a fully mature woman sure in her newly developed relationship she opted to not chase him down. That would just look desperate right? I'm not desperate - we're fine. We're Fine.

She put him to the back of her mind as she prepared the Sriro stall and started the telltale call of sellers. The usual customers came and got their orders or placed new ones. Akakzi kept an eye out for Joe, as much as she knew everything was fine everything was fine.

Eᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ Is Fɪɴᴇ

Sheshi

spacer.png

Lucredda noticeably bristles a bit at the words 'little gods'. She turns her head up just a little as if to look down on the priestess of Leaf even if Sheshi is in fact well taller. "No. I paid my normal homage to them, nothing more, nothing less. I heard nothing, which is what I expected. They speak through the weather, through the harvest, and on rare occasion if they so deem it they can always come in person and visit. I do not require constant gifts and signs for my faith in them."

Hard as usual, what holds her tongue back is seeing there is something distressing Sheshi, something amiss. "Tell me, what strangeness do you speak of? Yet another cold night, weeks later than normal. Does your god finally speak of trouble too?"

Her children are out of earshot, though at least Amise seems to be trying to listen in a bit.

Hektor

spacer.png

"Mm. Right you are, Hektor. Even Bellamy has a few he'll talk to, and he's about as close lipped as they come around here." Macran is not happy, and Hektor can see that the toughest man in all Hearth is concerned. Then again, Hektor's one of the few who knows that just because Macran is likely a former soldier or mercenary of some kind, doesn't mean he's a warrior capable of taking of true monsters. It only means he can easily break up a bar brawl if need be, which even that is more excitement than what one can expect in the village.

"Brunhild? Start getting the other militia. Viktor? Get Bellamy. I'll go and talk to the Mayor, he aught to know. If nothing else, we can get out in front of all the gossip. We'll meet at the inn. Hektor? Could likely use another person or few to help keep the peace. Maybe Larent? or Sheshi? Someone to do all the niceties."

Akakzi

Joe is gone moments after she sees him, her imagination can only run wild on what that expression means, one that looks actually concerned. It's not a face he has often, but it's happened enough that she knows that whatever is on his mind he's taking seriously.

It's as if something is in the air. The day is warming up, but the chill won't quite leave Hearth. She sees Olivia moving about distracted, unlike her usual determination knowing exactly where she's going and who she's going to talk with. Gregor Eastwind passes by briefly, nodding to Akakzi and ordering enough food for three, which that is normal enough, what isn't is he has his wood axe at his hip. Once again, not unheard of, just different. Tildra Mudderlin seems pleased with herself, and that usually only happens when there's some sort of drama afoot.

A shadow looms from behind her...

spacer.png

"Hey Akakzi!" Olivarth seems upbeat this morning. "Just wanted to um... say thanks for the advice. She actually say 'okay' when I confessed. 'Okay', can you believe it? Oh, and uh... congrats on you and Joe. Oh, didn't startle you, did I?"

SheshiImage

Sheshi winces at Lucredda's reaction - she hadn't meant anything by it, but she instantly understands how she had put her foot in her mouth just now and is internally grateful that Lucredda didn't bite her head off.

"No. No, not Leaf. Something... else." Sheshi says, lowering her voice even further. "It was... a darkness, a presence that seemed to hate the very notion of faith in, well, anything at all. It roiled my stomach, was wholly... evil.

I apologize for my choice of words earlier. Your gods and mine are very different from one another, but if your devotions to your gods had been met with a similar... interception... then that would have been very informative. As it is..."

Sheshi paused and looked away from Lucredda, staring into the forest as if trying to spot something hiding in the shadows.

"As it is... I feel that you are right. Trouble is coming."

Hektor Redgrove9800f0f5152c3afe65089d7bab237421.jpg

The tutor felt a bit like a floundering cod. Still swimming in his feelings for his birds and the attack on his peace of mind, he was now trying to once again conjure up the best cadre of people to help him in his current state. If this group had known how troubling it had been for him to even call them to arms, they would know that asking a third time for him to choose more conscripts knotted his stomach.

While his heart and stomach were in turmoil, his mind tried desperately to come to his aid. "Yes, the priestess." He uttered before giving any more thought than it warranted. "I don't doubt her presence will please the common folk." Under pressure, he didn't even realize he'd made such a snark. Beads of sweat trickled down the nape of his neck.

After a pregnant pause, the words he'd said a moment before caught up with him. He blushed. "I could use her gracious words as well."

"Hey Akakzi!" Olivarth seems upbeat this morning. "Just wanted to um... say thanks for the advice. She actually say 'okay' when I confessed. 'Okay', can you believe it? Oh, and uh... congrats on you and Joe. Oh, didn't startle you, did I?"

spacer.pngAkakzi Sriro

Akakzi jumped, almost knocking a basket of crawfish over and stumbled backwards falling into a sitting position on the ground.

"Aiehhoo- Olivarth!"

She sat there stunned for a moment.

"Uh, That's great - did you, hold on a second"

Standing she started brushing off the dirt from her clothes while continuing to talk.

"Did you ask for a date or to get drinks together as well? And Yes.. Joe's great thank you.. You haven't talked to him today have you?"

Sheshi

spacer.png

Lucredda's silence speaks volumes for three... five... ten seconds. She's thinking, and thinking very hard. "Follow me inside." Sheshi has never been inside their home. As they do, Sheshi sees a place lost in history. All about the walls adorns baubles and trinkets, hides, antlers, and other strange tokens fill every shelf and evne parts of the floor. It looks akin to a hoarder's den, and may just be that. The judging side of Sheshi wonders how her children didn't end up even more strange, the more appreciate side takes in a very different sort of home, with the scent of cinnamon and incense thick in the air.

"As I said, I do not speak to the spirits as you do. I make my offerings and simply listen." She begins to gather supplies and on an open spot in the floor begins to lay down chalk lines and herbs. "It has been some years since there was need to conduct a proper ritual."

The markings are in primordial, and it becomes clear that even if Lucredda lacks any magical potential, her faith is all too real. This is not the drawings of some fool, but someone who knows what they are doing. "At one point every other family had a person who knew these rites. Now few of us remain."

As she finishes her work, taking a good ten minutes in total, she finishes it off with a sprinkling of white dust, which ignites the patterns into a soft glow. Both women see the mist begin to rise, but no sooner than it does it recedes... leaving nothing.

Lucredda is left there standing, staring at the floor with no small amount of contempt. "They cannot hear us. I know not why, but the ritual cannot reach them."

Hektor

Any social misstep of Hektor is shrugged off. On another day there might be some short words and raised eyebrows, but there are more pressing matters at hand, and Hektor's upbringing is well known enough. With plans made, people begin to separate. Fortunately in a small village it's easy enough to track someone, at least someone not trying to hide. A few people saw Sheshi walking up the path to the Zan home. He arrives in time to see a light emanate from within the hosue before it diminishes mere moments later. Two of the children, Viviel and Samael are peaking through a window, while Amise sits at the fence glancing up at Hektor with a questioning look.

He's now the second unexpected visitor to arrive this morning, a morning that is growing late.

Akakzi

spacer.png

"Oh! Um... sorry, didn't mean to startle you. I um... well, the thing is I said that I thought she was awful pretty, and would be nice to you know... spend time together and all. She said 'okay'. She then gave me this interesting look and tapped my nose with her finger. Twice. Think that's a good sign, right? Told me to prove myself." Given Viviel's well known eccentric nature in an already eccentric family, perhaps it is the best he can ask for, but it's hard to tell.

"And did see Joe earlier." He leans in. "Congrats and all that, Thought you two would be good together." He leans away. "But uh... he's a bit distracted. His mother's missing, wasn't home when he got back, figured she was staying somewhere else, but can't figure out who or where. I dunno, something feels a bit strange, been seeing people walking around in a hurry and all that."

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Nature/Religion for Lucredda
1d20+5 11

• 2 weeks later...

SheshiImage

Sheshi takes in Lucredda's home, knowing that this is, in its own way, an honor - a recognition that for all that the two women are 'at odds' with one another, there is, somewhere deep down, a level of respect. For Sheshi does respect this old, stubborn woman who clings to her 'little' gods while the world around her sweeps towards ever-growing centralization, a force that Sheshi is all too aware that she represents - especially as she knows that her time here is ending and her work, as honest and earnest as it was, will soon be turned over to someone else. Perhaps someone more zealous and uninterested in sharing the devotion of this little place with the spirits who were here before.

Sheshi watches with great interest as Lucredda acts to construct the ritual circle and the magic begins to take hold - only to frown as the ritual fails. She considers for a moment, then takes a leap.

"Would a second person performing this ritual help? Will you teach me? I am a fairly quick learner, and I feel this is a question that needs answering - do the spirits not hear, do they not desire to come, or are they unable to come? I would be your second, if you would have me."

OOC

I think it is so fitting that Lucredda has a higher Religion roll that I do. Not sure entirely what I'm offering here. Could simply be the help action. Could be my own religion roll. Either way, somewhere in here I'd like to cast guidance on whomever is actually attempting the roll (and, for that matter, would have cast it if Lucredda was interested on that last roll of hers)

Will roll some stuff and we'll see where it takes us.

Name
Religion Roll
1d20+3 8
Guidance on whatever roll it is...
1d4 1

Hektor Redgrove9800f0f5152c3afe65089d7bab237421.jpg

Getting his feet beneath him again gave the man a chance to clear his head of the cobwebs. The village was small enough, but he did at least two circle-backs, which meant he was quite labored by the time he made it to the gate of the Zens homestead. Hektor eyed the young woman standing guard at the gate.

"Madame Zen," He said with a polite nod of his head, chancing a quick look up the path to the house where the other two siblings were giving the telltale signs that he had come to the right place. "Is your mother hosting Sister Sheshi this morning?" The question held the air of inquisition while being mostly a polite self invitation to carry further. "I should speak to them."

He made a move to step beyond the eldest child, but he would not do so completely without her consent.