D20 Go

GaryD20

I've purchased it: It seems to have a pretty solid core idea, but it doesn't particularly impress me.

The Good: It's extremely well-priced for what you get. Combat is deliberately fast and simplified. Resolution is pretty simple and fast as well. Injuries are quite lethal, which seems to be a design choice. Traits are a good idea.

The Bad: It really, really needs to focus on what makes its particular approach to PbP useful. For a book about simplifying rules for fast, clear play, it's quite long and meanders a lot, including equipment when it really shouldn't and digressing. The core resolution mechanic is placed about fifty pages into a 220-page book. The formatting is poor and there are grammatical and spelling issues. Some Traits just seem garishly overpowered (Intelligent), and others are pure downgrades to existing Traits (presumably so you can stack them). There are a lot of minor modifiers, which seems to defeat the entire point of simplifying things. Fifty-five pages are devoted to the spellbook alone.

Edit: One of the derivatives, Z20 Go, seems to have concentrated the rules in a much better fashion. It's significantly shorter and more streamlined. If you'd like to purchase the system, I would suggest using that one.

Edited by DarkisNotEvil (see edit history)

@DarkisNotEvil I've already purchased the D20 Go book. Bought it several months ago. Have just now gotten around to actually starting to read it. I think your assessment is spot on from what I've read so far.

Still, I probably wouldn't mind running or playing this, just to see how it plays.

And I did also get the Z20 Go from DriveThru. Look forward to reading it after finishing with D20 Go.