The Code

LucianV

Tidecaller (Andras) Human Bardspacer.png

Andras smiled as the others joined him, a roll of parchment sitting in front of him, and a mug of what someone considered 'ale'. 

"Thank you all for taking the time out of your busy schedules. I've called this meeting to discuss a few things, not the least of which is the ship's funding." He patted the rolled scroll in front of him like a prized pet before looking back to the others. 

"But first, I realized something while I was having a drink with Sandara the other night. We've fought together, bleed together, committed mutiny together, and yet...I'll be honest, I don't really know anything about any of you. Less about you all in fact, than I know about the rest of the crew.

So I thought we could start off this session with perhaps sharing a thing or two about each other, since it seems we're all in business together now. The most important of which for me is: Why are you here and what is it you want out of this little endeavor? We could have sold the ship off and gone our separate ways, but instead we've done quite a bit of work and investment to make this happen. I realize most of us were scallywagged or press ganged or whatever the term is, but you're all still here." He looked around at the others, also motioning to the filled pitcher and cups in the middle of the table.

Dr. Sslar - Human Rogue (Soulknife) 4 1377bcef10d89e2513ded94c80bf1e1e.jpg

Sslar shuffled up to the table, nursing a mug of some unknown drink between his bandaged hands. He waves away the pitcher, instead choosing to reach into one of his many pockets and pull out a vial of some unknown reddish powder and uncork it singlehandedly. A faint sulphuric odor wafts into the air as the secretive man sprinkles the substance into his drink and takes a seat at the meeting.

"Sssurprisssed Sslar wasss to sssee sssummonsss. Essspecially from you Andrasss."

As the ship's new Quartermaster explains the purpose of their meeting, Sslar hunches forward in his seat. The mysterious man nods a few times and looks like he is about to say something before catching himself and falling quiet. Instead, he turns his hooded face to look at each of his fellow officers in turn. The sensation is unsettling but soon the others are once again able to hear the more refined version of Sslar's voice resonating in their minds.

"Ah, much better. Apologies for the intrusion but I now find complicated concepts more easily expressed in this form of communication. As before, you may reply to me with your thoughts but rest assured I cannot hear that which you do not wish to share. Also, the others cannot hear you though I may pass messages across if you so desire."

"As for myself, my ambitions are not a secret I need to keep from anyone. The affliction I suffer from is, ever so slowly, worsening. Day by day, bit by bit, I can feel the signs. The ache in the bones, the burning pulse in my veins, the crawling on my skin. I may only have a couple of years left until... well, I am uncertain what will remain. So I am under the blade, so to speak, to find a cure to stall or maybe even reverse my condition."

"As I had mentioned to Captain Corvalis when he took the wheel, I need space and privacy to conduct my research. The Rum Weaver would allow for that, as well as the means to travel to remote locales to procure the exotic ingredients I may need for my experiments. I doubt I would find another vessel to accept me in the state that I am. So my fate is intricately tied to our success and I pledge whatever skills I possess to help further that cause."

Mechanics  

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Character Sheet  

Sslar - Human Rogue (Soulknife) 4

Str 10 (0) Dex 16 (+3) Con 14 (+2) Int 14 (+2) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 8 (-1)
HP 31/31 HD 4d8 AC 14 (None) Speed 40 ft.

Passive Perception 11 Initiative +3
Vision: Normal
Languages Common, Goblin
Background Urchin

Feature  City Secrets

Shillelagh +5 attack, 1d6+3 psychic damage
Short Bow +5 attack, 1d6+5 piercing damage

Proficiency +2 Saving Throws Intelligence +4, Dexterity +5 
Skills: Athletics +2, Acrobatics +5, Sleight of Hand +7 (Expert), Stealth +7 (Expert),

Arcana +4, Investigation +4, Nature +4, Medicine +5

Tools: Thieves Tools, Poisoner's Kit, Alchemy Kit, Disguise Kit

Poisoner

Mobile

Equipment  

TBD

Edited by Krezzlar (see edit history)

99d99a90ab17551b67ce0f9215a3baad.jpgSailing Mistress Celeste Thomas - Human Cleric

She sat at the table, mug in one hand, navigation charts in the other.  Since being given the title, Celeste has not stopped pouring over the maps, trying to recall the routes her father had charted.  Her ears were only partially listening to Andras.  The man loved to hear himself talk, and over the last few weeks she had become quite skilled at looking attentive while completely ignoring him.  It wasn't until the doctor's voice infiltrated her mind that she realized there was something actually happening.  The cleric's brow pinched as he explained his purpose.  Her gaze flickered to Andras than back to Sslar.  She glanced at Corvalis and the others to see how they were reacting to all of this.

"I know we've each offered this before," she motioned to Morgana, "but are you sure there is no healing we can provide to rid you of your illness?"  In all honesty, Celest knew that both Morgana and Sandara were more skilled clerics than she, but the offer still stood.  

Sslar takes a sip from his cup and visibly winces. It would appear the concoction tastes as foul as it smells. The wrapped man then turned to look at Celeste though no sounds emit from his lips as he once again projected his thoughts to all at the table.

"I appreciate the offer and you are welcome to try however no such attempts have proven effective in the past. My memories of earlier days are hazy but I do recall my family had the means to secure some of the finest physicians and healers Golarion had to offer, none of it to any avail. You see most poison or disease involve introduction of a foreign contaminant into the body or blood stream. Thusly cures or restorative magicks work by flushing out the unwelcome substances and restoring ones body to a previous state. My condition, whether it be due to some natural phenomena or arcane curse or simply the uncaring whims of a sadistic creator, is so fully fused with my being that there is no previous state to return to. You can no more 'cure' me of this Fish Rot than you could 'cure' Morgana of her blue skin or Rafa of his tusks. It is also the reason none of you are in any danger of contracting my condition through proximity, just like touching Celeste's crimson locks would not cause you to sprout your own."

Sslar sits back and motions with his hands for others pour themselves drinks and share their own stories.

"But enough about my burdens. I could discuss theoreticals all day and have indulged in your patience far too long already. You are all welcome to visit me in my parlor later if you wish to discuss further or to attempt a divine intervention. For now, our Tidecaller called us together to hear of all our aspirations and I for one am curious what the rest of you, including Andras, have to say."

Mechanics  

Character Sheet  

Languages Common, Goblin
Background Urchin

Feature  City Secrets

Skills: Athletics +2, Acrobatics +5, Sleight of Hand +7 (Expert), Stealth +7 (Expert),

Poisoner

Mobile

Equipment  

TBD

Edited by Krezzlar (see edit history)

9lPKkx562QGmo6zORN8J97WblszXrwPH6tMpnitI.png?width=236&height=300 Rafa, First Mate Orc-Blooded Warrior

Either the meeting had been at an ill-conceived time, or Rafa had simply prioritized other things over it, making him late and not pressingly presentable. His armor was stashed away some place out of the way and he was left with just his tunic and trousers. A blue tudong bunched up at his neck, the mouth covering rarely seeing it's intended purpose, and a mixture of sweat and seawater kept it perpetually damp and cool. He chose not to sit, instead keeping to his normal routine of the exterior circle. A place where he felt more at ease, could move about, and otherwise not be a burden on the noses of those gathered there. 

He'd heard some of Sslar's burdens before, in what felt like a long time ago now, and made no claims of his own to be able to cure it. Instead, he cleaned the grease from his hands with a rag he found. A tattered rag he'd left sitting there last time he was in here. 

"I was lookin' for a ship. But I didn't need no knock-out drink and blindfold to get aboard. That's where they did me wrong. I would have come willingly." Rafa added from his own perspective. "Iff'n they'd wanted slaves for their ships, let them try and go into the Mwangi and find them. They'd not last the night. Ha!" It seemed some talk of the old regime and old ship brought bitters to Rafa's palate. He spit into the rag and continued to clean his hands. "I am here and I am Capt'n's First Mate, that is all the convincing you should need."

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

Captain Corvalis 'the Undying' - High Elf Warlock (Fathomless) 4 3YKujfQ.jpg.9c2f4669cad06aae23a592e867abf770.jpg

Through all the hardships, perhaps, much to Death's chagrin, Corvalis lived time and again. By the cleverness and skill of his companions and friends, by the good grace of Besmara, his immortal idol, and by no small amount of his own merits and sorceries. So many brushes with death in such short time had an effect on the typically cavalier elf. His courage and mercurialness was found to be tempered, for now he had many folks to lose in his life. Even the loss of a sea worthy ship had him reflecting on the future. The sea and all its gory was a siren call, beckoning him to take the reins and pursue infamy, so that all the scallywags and scurvy dogs would know his legend. 

Corvalis ran a finger over his wistful smile. Gettin' ahead o' meself there. One day atta time, lad. He doffed his tricorn hat and held it to his chest, effecting a contemplative look as his focus came back to the gathering. The surrounding faces seemed, to him, hopeful for new beginnings. That meant something to him. It helped to keep him grounded in reality. So he listened in earnest to what each of them had to say. 

Sslar's tale was a tragic one. Whatever the affliction the man endured, it appeared awful. From the strange mindspeak communications, it was clear that Sslar was far more than his grotesque demeanor and appearance. Corvalis wanted to help Sslar, if he could, and find a cure to the man's condition. He had not the foggiest idea as where to begin. Perhaps if he offered more to Besmara, She might show him. 

Like Rafa, he also remained standing. The elf had on his ragged tunic and breeches, preferring to walk around the ship without his boots on; he enjoyed the feel of the ship's deck under foot. It was such a simple joy. On the occasion, he would dive into the sea and swim down to the seabed where he would construct underwater shrines to Besmara; they were comprised of natural objects, usually kelp, rock, and seashells. At each makeshift holy site, he spared a few coins as offerings to his goddess. 

"In what seems ages ago, I used to sail aboard the Velvet Tooth. She were a fine ship. We were leavin' the Shackles 'n soon as we're full sails, a mean sonofawhore by the name o' Avimar Sorrinash had our scent 'n gave chase." His features tightened, becoming flinty as the old painful memories and the emotions normally locked away all came flooding forth. "He caught up to the Velvet Tooth 'n a skirmish broke out. Ina a great melee, blood 'n sabres splittin' the air, I were cut down. Barely holdin' onto me senses, some scurvy dog pushed me overboard 'n I plummeted into the sea."

Corvalis' hardened expression broke as he shared a playful smile. "Tha's when I met Besmara for the first time. She called the sea n' Her critters to carry me broken body ashore. Saved me life, she did." He slapped his tricorn hat back onto his head, adjusting the brim upward to gaze bright-eyed as his friends. "So I live on, chasin' glory 'n infamy, wanderin' the high seas s'long as I draw the ocean's breeze into me lungs."

Mechanics  

Character Sheet  

Languages Common, Goblin
Background Urchin

Feature  City Secrets

Poisoner

Mobile

Equipment  

TBD

Edited by Hallowed Evening (see edit history)

Chaplain Morgana Rae - Half Elf Twilight Cleric (4)         Morganamorganarae250.jpg.f9aea043fbf99af893e068fe379ca089.jpg

"So sorry, Captain, I was finishing the blessing."

Since taking the ship, Morgana quickly instigated daily prayer, asking both Selune and Besmara for protection of the crew, their ship, and her captain and officers. As of now only two others joined her on the regular but that in itself shows the gods' favor. She's confident the next time the seas ebb and swell, so will their ranks.

"What did I miss?"

Soon enough she's brought to speed while making the rounds pouring tea for those who'll have it - again, a number near zero.

"All I've ever known is the sea," she begins, "I was quite young when I was discovered adrift in her great embrace. I have vague recollections but for the most part remember little of my former birth or family. It was by Selune's blessings that I was discovered by a captain as kind as he was disciplined. A father of sorts, but human, and frail ... as humans tend to be. He taught me the stars, the wheel, and most importantly, the importance of faith."

She smiles and the room grows just a tad bit brighter.

"I, like Rafa, would have, perhaps, joined willingly ... even with a crew so vile. The sick need a doctor, as the saying goes. What was intolerable was the method of procurement. Enslavement. Sick is one thing. Wicked another. But for now, I believe the will of the goddess is at work in you, my new friends, and I for one am thankful to play a part. Our journey thus far has been a great privilege and I look forward to seeing where it goes. I for one feel we are in the first chapters of a great and glorious tale."

Mechanics  

Off Hand: Shield

Character Sheet (Ignore) 

Morgana Rae - 4 Twilight Cleric (Half-Elf)

STATS

Languages Common, Goblin
Background Urchin

Feature  City Secrets

Poisoner

Mobile

Equipment  (Empty)

Gear Here

Edited by Rev73 (see edit history)

99d99a90ab17551b67ce0f9215a3baad.jpgSailing Mistress Celeste Thomas - Human Cleric

Celeste nodded as Sslar explained his ailment and the struggle with treatments, and mouthed "Oh" when it was made clear what Andras had been asking prior.  But her attention was drawn away from the conversation as Rafa walked in.  The half-orc had ignored any attempt she had made to flirt with him, which only made him more attractive.  She bit her lower lip while spying his unarmored form.  Her mind wandered playfully, imagining what was below his loose fitted clothing, until Corvalis spoke.  His voice recanted the story she had heard many times over her years.

She made eye contact with him, brow furrowing.  He hadn't mentioned the Wayward Bell.  Her past was complicated and he had stuck with her through it.  They had had to start from scratch, running from rumors and her own sadness.  Corvalis had left it to her to reveal her story, and she appreciated that.  A sip of ale was taken, steeling her nerves in preparation to tell her tale, when Morgana arrived and spoke.  Celeste couldn't help but smile at the woman's hopefulness.

"We were looking for work."  Her voice eeked out as she glanced towards their newly-minted captain.  "I don't know if this is the ship we would have chosen, had we been given a choice, but now that we are here it feels as though we are meant to be."  She smiled to the others, nodding and lifting her mug to each.  "I, for one, was born at sea.  More comfortable with the ocean rolling below my feet than any track of solid land."  Her eyes looked down into the ale.  "But you all should know...I mean, I'm sure its been obvious.  Morgana and Sandara are far better with their connection to Besmara.  I have always had a...um...volatile connection."

Her gaze looked to Corvalis again, needing his support before she continued.  "My mother died during my birth, but my father, Captain Avery Thomas, and the crew of the Wayward Bell, raised me.  It was a wonderful life, until...I had to leave."  She couldn't get more out.

• 2 weeks later...

Tidecaller (Andras) Human Bardspacer.png

The newly proclaimed ship's wizard sat back in his chair, pushing it up on the back two legs and using his foot for balance. They were a motley assortment, that was certain. It was also a strange thing to feel more a kinship with Sslar than anyone else. Nothing had been like what he had expected, but it was the Shackles after all. It was also strange to see Celeste so sad and moody, her normally drunken and violent demeanor had certainly become more the norm. He did recognize the way she said her father's name, like she expected others to know it. That sort of inflection was common back home. There had even been a large chunk of Andras' life where he had relied on the name of his parents to inspire fear and awe. There wasn't enough of the story to give context, so he simply let it drop. Either she'd tell them everything, or she wouldn't. He considered making up a story. It was quite possible some of them were as well, or at least they were being vague enough not to give any real details. But he had survived an island full of little man eating sea monsters and ghouls, not to mention a mutiny. So maybe he could at least give them a little honesty.

He put his chair back on all fours, his fingers lacing together. He sat a little straighter, his usually lackadaisical expression gone. It was replaced with a glare that practically radiated authority, the look of a man who simply knew everything was belonged to him. Even his voice no longer held some of the ridiculous squeaks and off pitches, instead it was smooth and easy, with a much heavier Chelish accent. It was almost like they were staring at an entirely different person. "I was born to one of the most power noble families in Cheliax. Among other things, I was also sent to the very best preparatory academies the country has to offer, which is to say, I've been trained to be a master of spycraft. My family and I had something of a disagreement about my future so I bribed enough people, faked my own death, and disappeared. Working on a ship affords me a place of relative safety since we stay on the move, that's also why I've taken the moniker 'Tidecaller'."

As quickly as it had appeared, his sharp expression was gone, replaced with a casual demeanor. He leaned back, once again the carefree person they'd all known for weeks. He clapped his hands together, falling forward once again. "So...The real reason I asked everyone to come here. Paperwork!" Andras rolled the parchment out across the table for everyone to see. "I know pirates are all about freedom and anarchy, but I think a few rules might go a long way to keeping both the current and future crew in line. There are a few other topics I'd like to discuss, but we can save those for after." The parchment was filled with delicately penned strokes. "For everyone's consideration...I'd like to put forth a simple code by which we live. Something everyone needs to agree with and follow." He wasn't actually certain everyone could read, so he read them all aloud for Rafa's sake.

The Code

I. Every person is entitled to a split of any plunder taken at sea. The ship is also entitled to a share, which goes toward keeping her in good order and rations for the crew.

II. Any item of value found aboard a ship taken including off officers must be turned into the quarter master within 24 hours. Failure to do so will result in loss of shares.

III. Stealing from another crew member, officer, or any guest aboard the ship is strictly prohibited and punishable by lashing and removal of all current shares of plunder.

IV. Fleeing during a fight without being ordered to by the Captain or an officer is tantamount to desertion. Punishable by death.

V. All disputes among the crew are to be settled on land. Any complaints may be brought before an officer for arbitration.

VI. All crew members are responsible for keeping the ship and everything on it in good condition. This means reporting any issues, as well ensuring standard maintenance is done properly.

VII. All crew may have an equal share of the drinking rations aboard the ship. But being unfit for duty during your shift will result in revoking this for a week, and loss of plunder.

VIII. When in port, act in accordance with respect, and do not bring shame to the ship and her crew. No killing without good cause, nor making enemies of other crews.

IX. All vessels on the sea are prey, but it is the Captain and officers who make the final decision of whom to attack and leave be.

X. Any crew captured from another vessel have the chance to join our ranks willingly. Those that do will not be immediately considered crew (with all the privileges afforded) but 'conscripts'. A conscript may never raise a hand against a crew member, and must follow the orders any crewman gives them. Once they have proven themselves in battle, they are entitled to a share of the ship's profits and are made an official part of the crew.

9lPKkx562QGmo6zORN8J97WblszXrwPH6tMpnitI.png?width=236&height=300 Rafa, First Mate Orc-Blooded Warrior

The half-orc did not do well in hiding his doubt about the Chef's Hand's tale. Halfway through, he crossed his arms and sneered, awaiting the payoff joke that was no doubt coming at the end. When it didn't come, Rafa scoffed. "Ha! If you are those things, then I am the Chieftain of the Mwangi!" His own joke was rough and ill-timed, as it all but interrupted whatever Andras's next statement was meant to be. Regardless, Rafa knew now that they were all simply making up whatever stories they wanted the others to know about them and he'd not done a very good job making up an interesting one. He decided it was time for some spiced ale to help loosen up his creativity roots.

As the paperwork was unfurled in front of him, the orc-blooded was three gulps into his first round. He could barely see over the rim of his flagon. He could make out most of the words written on it, but either the script or the spelling or the sheer length of some of the words left him filling in gaps using context of the words strung along before and behind it. He pointed to the large V with his free hand, "I am an officer, so send your petty squabbles to me and I shall make sure the 'arb-bi-shun' is swift and will not leave scars."

Sslar's eyes narrowed beneath his hood as the supposedly foolish Andras revealed his true past. "Interesssting..." the wrapped man hissed quietly as he took another sip of his foul brew. He had not expected this turn of events. And Sslar did not like the unexpected. Even more surprising was the obvious thought that Andras had put into his "Code". With each decree, Sslar found himself needing to reevaluate the ship's quartermaster / wizard and their future aboard the ship.

Once the reciting of the Code completes and Rafa made his opinion clear, the doctor's refined voice once again resonates in your minds.

"Pertaining to Article Five, I agree that disputes should be brought before Rafa for arbitration. As First Mate, his place is to maintain order and the proper discipline on the vessel."

"Concerning Article Ten, we should not give regular crew governance over the conscripts. These are pirates and raiders after all and not all can be trusted to have power over the vulnerable. Instead, I propose that the tending of these conscripts be given to Morgana if she is amicable to it. I believe she would be the best amongst us for instilling the need for teamwork and cooperation. Promotion from conscript to full crew should be done under her authority."

"There is also a great deal of talk in here of plunder. Once others have expressed their opinion on the Code, I would be curious to hear what we all consider the best potential source for these riches might be for us."

Mechanics  

Character Sheet  

Languages Common, Goblin
Background Urchin

Feature  City Secrets

Poisoner

Mobile

Equipment  

TBD